Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,187 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline (37671 Views)

The Economist On Naija Fuel Subsidies / Ghana Cuts Fuel Subsidies, Fuel Rises To N184 Per Litre / Okonjo-iweala Announces Fuel Subsidies Will Be Removed - GEJ Please Sack Her Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by coolvitus(m): 8:29am On Nov 21, 2014
Nigeria is a confused state and d leaders ar d more confused group of ppl who lack both d will and wish to do what is right we ar doomed 4ever if God did not com to help us out now.

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by lonelydora: 8:30am On Nov 21, 2014
Do Nigerians still care about this subsidy? Another Pengassan/Nupeng strike looming.
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by champele40: 8:30am On Nov 21, 2014
GEJ before you do that make sure electricity is steady,or we enter street again for protest.

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by sunkuns003(m): 8:30am On Nov 21, 2014
why not build new refinery before removing the subsidy we all know that we only paid this cabal when they import fuel and others ,pls Mr President think well before embarking on such issue because it will make thing more harder.
APContherun:
People who ask what the govt is doing about fighting corruption needs to understand that the best and sure way to do so is block all avenues that lead to corruption. Cutting fuel subsidy is a sure way to reduce corruption in that sector, it may hurt in the short run but eventually everything will balance out.
But as has been said the President must have to carry the labour unions and civil society organisations along in the implementation of this policy but I doubt the unions will see reasons for it and it will be 1st Jan 2012 all over again.

2 Likes

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 21, 2014
Collynzo9:

If oil price is falling, isn't out cost of importing its refined products and subsidising them supposed to fall too?
I wonder the kind of schools you guys went to.
The prices of petrol will remain the same.
the refined product sells in dollars not naira.

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by legendsilver(m): 8:31am On Nov 21, 2014
Whynotthetruth:

if what you said is true...how come recently the price of cement is coming down?
Tell me this come july 2015 after elections. That is for election campaign

3 Likes

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:32am On Nov 21, 2014
Gistdutch:
Fuel subsidy removal,Devalution of Naira,Tax increament,PHCN tariff increament,Kerosene subsidy removal & VAT increament in a country where minimum wage is 18000naira.I hope those supporting this knows the implication. Why is the refinery not fixed since all this days ? OH LORD HEAL OUR LAND AND GIVE US GOD FEARING LEADERS. IJN

Bro, you need to understand these things before recording all those...its all for the better...maybe a lesson on fiscal and monetary policies will help here...why not also, consider how the macro and micro economic policies work...that way, you will appreciate all these...thank you

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by towcyne123: 8:32am On Nov 21, 2014
Is it not d same so call minister of finance says if subsidy is removed in 2012, Nigeria refinery ll b built within d period of 18 month. There promise is never fulfill, now they want to remove everything, hmmmmm may God fight us the masses.

4 Likes

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Collynzo9: 8:34am On Nov 21, 2014
scosco1:
I think if subsidy will be completely removed then we should have nothing to fear because of the fall in pricing of Crude in the world market,but that I know can never happen . Kerosene is subsidized,petrol is not completely subsidized,diesel for a long whle is no longer subsidized , for diesel we are been made to understand that it goes hand in hand with the world market price so if there is a rise in Oil pricing diesel retail price soars but now there is a continous decline and no agency or Oil marketer has made any move to reduce price of diesel ...so with decline of crude pricing,removal of subsidy we should expect reduction of petroleum pump price ! Afterall when market forces are in good play price falls ... aπϑ literally we should expect thesame fall in our local pump price . Except there is more theories that we should expect τ̲̅ȍ get from our govt !
God bless you.
I don't know why people cannot put on their thinking cap.
Imagine the Government whould have spent the same amount of money subsidising a product when the price has fallen drastically and many wouldn't have figured out.
It now seems like they are even doing us a favour, they could have been diverting the extra to their pockets.

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Gistdutch: 8:34am On Nov 21, 2014
OH LORD HEAL NIGERIA AND GIVE US GOD FEARING LEADERS IJN.
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Electronzeez(m): 8:34am On Nov 21, 2014
If no one has been brought for justice after setting up a comittee to hand pick the rodent benefitting from this subsidy, i dont trust this government to rightly spend the money saved from subsidy removal.

Removing subsidy to starve the rats in the downstream sector and afterwards siphoning the money to the oga at the tops account...this is a clear hunt for the stomach by the nigeria top ranks.

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by signz: 8:35am On Nov 21, 2014
texazzpete:

I'm not sure why people express opinions like this one above, but it drives me nuts. Do you even know ANYTHING about the process they use for these illegal refineries? Do you know how they get the stolen crude they use?

Do you have any idea how hazardous it is to refine crude in this manner? How damaging it is to the environment? The damage to the workers? The people that die in the process? The massive oil leaks that result from this process?

There's a reason why standard refineries are very expensive to build, and require a focus on safety to run successfully.
Please NEVER try to short-circuit good things...that always leads to disaster.

I suggest you Google mini modular refinery. It's being used in other countries. Technology has changed everything.

Please read this http://businessdayonline.com/2014/02/modular-refineries-test-the-idea/#.VG7pvvMo_Fo
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:35am On Nov 21, 2014
legendsilver:

Tell me this come july 2015 after elections. That is for election campaign

So government now fix prices for private sector? wake up bro and use your brain not sentiments...the private sector will speedily sponsor your opponents if you propound negative policies...is dangote and bua cements now part of PDP? stop being a pessimist joor?
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by dejii01(m): 8:35am On Nov 21, 2014
No matter the justification for this, a common Nigerian won't see reason to this. Do they even know how hard life is for some people?

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Nobody: 8:37am On Nov 21, 2014
AZeD1:
Oil prices have dropped by about 30%
Price of PMS has also dropped in countries were we import from therefore subsidy paid since the decline of oil prices should have also dropped since the price of PMS has stayed the same in Nigeria.

oil don't trade in naira , it trades in dollars.

2 Likes

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Firefire(m): 8:37am On Nov 21, 2014
undecided
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Adeoba10(m): 8:37am On Nov 21, 2014
APContherun:
People who ask what the govt is doing about fighting corruption needs to understand that the best and sure way to do so is block all avenues that lead to corruption. Cutting fuel subsidy is a sure way to reduce corruption in that sector, it may hurt in the short run but eventually everything will balance out.
But as has been said the President must have to carry the labour unions and civil society organisations along in the implementation of this policy but I doubt the unions will see reasons for it and it will be 1st Jan 2012 all over again.
Despite d fact say u dey front page n no single soul click like on ur comment, i think dat should tell u dat u are typing n composing beautiful nonsense.....

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Youngzedd(m): 8:38am On Nov 21, 2014
What will be the price of petrol

When we don't have steady power supply.

Somebody sitting up there is crazy.

2 Likes

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by IBROHIM: 8:38am On Nov 21, 2014
jcflex:
my pple in as much as I dnt wnt GEJ to come back in 2015, pls removing subsidy will benefit all of us on the long run,
but this timing is too short, they should just make it middle of 2015. from now till then, enlightenment should go on around the whole country, from jingle to advert on newspaper, for we the masses to know better, on the immediate effect and the long term gain of the removal. nw just for them to wake up this morning and tell us they will remove it tomoro.

it totally a misplace priority.
I agree with you my brother but why not government build lots of refineries first then when they start producing, we close our boarders to fuel products importation then competition will drive the price down! Whatever we do let's put the masses first! Let's not put the cart before the horse! It's obvious the government only want to task the already suffering masses more! It's a shame!!! Peace!!!

2 Likes

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Bekwarra(m): 8:39am On Nov 21, 2014
cramjones:
Is this not the GEJ that caused an occupy Nigeria? Is he not the one that paid billions of $$ to cronies in the name of subsidy and increased subsidy 10x? If I did not know GEJ, looking at this picture I will think he suffers from Downs or Edward's syndrome. The word clueless falls short in describing this picture. This was a picture taken on his birthday yesterday, and the picture shows you that the leader of Nigeria is indeed clueless. Is this the person that wants to rule Nigeria beyond 2015 (that is if Nigeria still exists)? His face tells it all. Fellows be wise, desist from voting a retard in power!

-CramJones
If we don't vote "slowpoke Jonathan" into power, who should we vote, your father?
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by thaoriginator: 8:40am On Nov 21, 2014
Abeg na where I fit see roasted yam buy here? cry
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by slytubadth(m): 8:41am On Nov 21, 2014
how ds man take bcome president b4?

4 Likes

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Nobody: 8:41am On Nov 21, 2014
Well.....i guess i'll have to buy a bicycle cos i wont say N200 from elekahia to rumuomasi wen dat time comes grin
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by michaelbiz: 8:42am On Nov 21, 2014
Should a President always start a new year with a wicked plan?
We are obviously seeing the REAL Jonathan.
Whoever says Jonathan is slow doesn't know jack!!!

This man has made a powerful nation like ours fall into the trap of World Bank (this is Season 2), thanks to Aunty Ngozi Okonjo Iweala (the mole).

YOU GUYS SHOULD WAKE UP!!!
WE HAVE A DEVIL IN OUR MIDST AND ITS NO LONGER FUNNY.
cry sad

1 Like

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by Gistdutch: 8:42am On Nov 21, 2014
Bro,please am all hears tell me how micro and macro economic works and the fiscal and monetary policies you talk about. Thank you
Whynotthetruth:

Bro, you need to understand these things before recording all those...its all for the better...maybe a lesson on fiscal and monetary policies will help here...why not also, consider how the macro and micro economic policies work...that way, you will appreciate all these...thank you
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by eluquenson(m): 8:42am On Nov 21, 2014
Totally absurd, am sure Nigeria is on the brink of total collapse
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by AZeD1(m): 8:43am On Nov 21, 2014
majekdom2:
oil don't trade in naira , it trades in dollars.
So what has that go to do with my post?
Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by SME1: 8:43am On Nov 21, 2014
GEJ and his allies have obviously GONE MAD!!! And dat idiot could publicly open his smelling mouth to say d furl subsidy will create jobs for indigenes of other countries. Feeding dogs real meat while d citizen chew bones AGAIN!! Lord Pls let me get my visa ready soon. No hope for dis country anymore!!

2 Likes

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:44am On Nov 21, 2014
Maybe this will give Nigerians, Ndigbo especially, a rethink on whether Jonathan deserves a second term. By the time they travel to their hometowns and find it difficult to pay their transport fares or fuel their cars back to other parts of the country in Nigeria, they may have a rethink.

2 Likes

Re: President Seeks To Cut Fuel Subsidies After Oil Decline by benzion72(m): 8:46am On Nov 21, 2014
Which subsidy again? At $100 per barrel how much is the petrol. Now that crude has slide to $75 per barrel what is expected to happen to the price of petrol. Which kind economics school you guys attend. I just pray he increase the fuel price before election so that his final doom can be sealed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

First University In Nigeria, Name And When Established? / Fulani Herdsmen Behead Charles Chrisanthus, Adamawa PDP Chairman, Flee With Head / Buhari Signs Eight Bills Into Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.