Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash (59605 Views)

The Man Who Caused A Scare At The Lagos Airport Today Pictured / See What Was Seen At The Lagos Airport Today (photos) / Emirates Plane Collides With Hak-air Plane During Take-off At Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by MAITEMA(m): 4:38pm On Nov 27, 2014
Caveatemptor:
While this war between the clearing agents and Olanrewaju goes on the poor importers are gonna suffer because-
1. All the sheds are shut. So if your cargo is consigned to Sahcol,Nahco or Nahco courier the goods will remain on the airport TARMAC where rain and sun will continue to bear down on them. Goods on yhe TARMAC are under the care of the gods any thing could happen to them in the night.
2.Those whose goods were already inside the sheds before the shut down of the airport will incur and MUST pay demurrage to the handlers.
Either way the importers are the losers in this battle to masturb@te the egos of Olanrewaju and the agents.

@ CaveatEmptor

I have my personal items sent as cargo trapped there for 3 weeks now and this is not funny. At this point we don’t need you dampening our spirits by enlightening us on the demurrage being incurred, who owns the Press, goods being prone to theft, ego massaging etc. What we need to hear at this point is news on the so-called meetings being held. If you do not have information on this, stop being a wet blanket.

As a matter of fact, what sort of meetings are these sef? Are the five families in New York meeting for a truce as a result of a Mafia war? We need our goods released and after that if Govt. wants to shut cargo operations at the International Airport, it should simply let Nigerians know.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 5:36pm On Nov 27, 2014
Please aside from r231 whose's been very helpful in getting us updates and help assuage our thoughts and keep our rising blood pressures down, anyone else with 'sad' updates that tends to bring down our spirits should please water it down when reporting it's not good to hear.

We all know some people are angling to enjoy from this incidence but God is watching you all and will sure repay them in their own coin. Imagine people's hard sweat you allow to lie in the sun and rain without protection just because you feel you are in a position of 'power'. Surely you are not God ...God gives power and surely He will take back.

Whoever has caused us this pain - Agents + CAC or other unseen forces will be avenged i Jesus Name! That is all I will say for now. Thank you.

@r231 ...please keep up the good job and help us all with updates.

3 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Thespecialone(m): 6:32pm On Nov 27, 2014
One valuable lesson I learnt is that when you are dealing with corporate clients and their goods have to pass through Cargo, kindly ensure you get a lawyer who will help you draw up an agreement to protect you and your company in the event of issues like this.

If not for the agreement my lawyer drew up for me, I'd probably be facing breach of contract charges.

Items for my clients have been in that warehouse for three weeks now.

Hoping for the best though.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 6:49pm On Nov 27, 2014
Sad thing is that the shippers would hardly tell you the truth about when your stuff leaves US or arrives Nigeria as the case maybe. I can't even say for sure if mine is in the shed undergoing clearing or out there at the mercy of the weather.

You can imagine how the foreigners would be looking at us now seeing all that on the tarmac yet we pride ourselves giant of Africa wanting to be involved in everything.

I repeat again and again God punish all those putting us through this.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by r231(m): 6:59pm On Nov 27, 2014
Sent: 27 November 2014 16:57
To: Midas shipping

Subject: Re: Nahco happenings

Dear All

According to NAGAFF president he said work should commence as the shed has been ordered to open.
Work should commence fully by Monday.

K

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 27, 2014
r231:

Dear All

According to NAGAFF president he said work should commence as the shed has been ordered to open.

K

I just hope so
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Amazingg: 8:00pm On Nov 27, 2014
r231:

Dear All

K
O God let this be true. I pray that all those suffering us in Nigeria will meet untimely death if they refuse to stop their wickedness.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by helphelp: 8:13pm On Nov 27, 2014
Thank God ooo

R231 thanks a lot for the updates
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 8:50pm On Nov 27, 2014
Thank you for the updates and God bless you

r231:

Dear All

K
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 27, 2014
Abeg R231 what is your number let me send you recharge card joor. Thank you for the effort

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by r231(m): 1:23am On Nov 28, 2014
CeejayCharles:
Abeg R231 what is your number let me send you recharge card joor. Thank you for the effort

cheesy grin grin
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by MAITEMA(m): 6:11am On Nov 28, 2014
r231:

Dear All

K

@ r231

Thanks a lot for the info. This is indeed hope. Is work starting today (Friday) or Monday? Do they also work on Saturdays?

If you don't mind, I can send you that recharge card on behalf of that other poster who made a promise. Drop your email address here or email me to matma_j@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by r231(m): 8:48am On Nov 28, 2014
MAITEMA:

@ r231
Thanks a lot for the info. This is indeed hope. Is work starting today (Friday) or Monday? Do they also work on Saturdays?
If you don't mind, I can send you that recharge card on behalf of that other poster who made a promise. Drop your email address here or email me to matma_j@yahoo.com

Work is starting today, they work half day on Saturday and fully resume for normal clearing duties on Monday.

No need for the recharge card. I am a freight forwarder in UK so my customers shipments are caught up in the whole mess as well plus business been on hold since this whole thing happen......

You can always patronise me when you have a shipment from UK and USA.

Check my signature

Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Caveatemptor(m): 8:53am On Nov 28, 2014
MAITEMA:

@ CaveatEmptor

I have my personal items sent as cargo trapped there for 3 weeks now and this is not funny. At this point we don’t need you dampening our spirits by enlightening us on the demurrage being incurred, who owns the Press, goods being prone to theft, ego massaging etc. What we need to hear at this point is news on the so-called meetings being held. If you do not have information on this, stop being a wet blanket.

As a matter of fact, what sort of meetings are these sef? Are the five families in New York meeting for a truce as a result of a Mafia war? We need our goods released and after that if Govt. wants to shut cargo operations at the International Airport, it should simply let Nigerians know.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Caveatemptor(m): 8:55am On Nov 28, 2014
^^

This is a funny post.. My friend I work at the airport too and my daily bread is affected. Why blame me for telling you the true situation on the ground? You wanna hear feel good stories and not the true situation go ahead and decieve yourself.
So NAGAFF is giving orders for the customs airport to be opened? Who is NAGAFF in the scheme of clearing in Nigeria? They are far behind ANCLA.
Olanrewaju has stated that the airport will not be opened except the agents sign an agreement that they will not go near the bulk breaking area. Nahco and Sahcol are also to show him they have enough equipment/forklifts and labourers to clear the tarmac of cargo.
That is the true situation as at this morning.
You can take it or leave it but I will speak the truth.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by MAITEMA(m): 9:06am On Nov 28, 2014
Caveatemptor:
^^

This is a funny post.. My friend I work at the airport too and my daily bread is affected. Why blame me for telling you the true situation on the ground? You wanna hear feel good stories and not the true situation go ahead and decieve yourself.
So NAGAFF is giving orders for the customs airport to be opened? Who is NAGAFF in the scheme of clearing in Nigeria? They are far behind ANCLA.
Olanrewaju hasstated

@ Caveatemptor a.k.a harbinger of bad news. According to your post, is Olarewanju saying that work will not resume today?
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Caveatemptor(m): 9:09am On Nov 28, 2014
^^
You could have cooled down and read my complete post. Go back and read it again slowly then let it sink in. I am one of the greatest critics of Olanrewaju. Go and read my posts from the begining of this thread.
1 . Olanrewaju does not want agents in the bulk breaking area where he accuses them of stuffing extra unmanifested cargo into pallets and as such short charging the government(and himself.)
2.Agents claim Nahco and Sahcol do not have enough equipment/forklifts and manual labourers to clear cargo from the bulk breaking area hence their agents/acolytes have yo be in the bulk breaking arra.
3.Neither NAGAFF or ANCLA has ANY power to open a customs cargo area. They are mere agents bodies.
4.As I am typing this I am in the airport and everywhere is still sealed. Olanrewaju hiimself has not even arrived the office.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by r231(m): 9:26am On Nov 28, 2014
Caveatemptor:
^^

So NAGAFF is giving orders for the customs airport to be opened? Who is NAGAFF in the scheme of clearing in Nigeria? They are far behind ANCLA.y
Olanrewaju has stated that the airport will not be opened except the agents sign an agreement that they will not go near the bulk breaking area. Nahco and Sahcol are also to show him they have enough equipment/forklifts and labourers to clear the tarmac of cargo.
That is the true situation as at this morning.
You can take it or leave it but I will speak the truth.

Just called another agent now who told me operation will resume properly on Monday
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 28, 2014
Okay how do we use your service?

r231:

Work is starting today, they work half day on Saturday and fully resume for normal clearing duties on Monday.

No need for the recharge card. I am a freight forwarder in UK so my customers shipments are caught up in the whole mess as well plus business been on hold since this whole thing happen......

You can always patronise me when you have a shipment from UK and USA.

Check my signature

Cheers
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by r231(m): 9:34am On Nov 28, 2014
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by lakeside2u(m): 9:47am On Nov 28, 2014
I have been monitoring this post with keen interest cos I got a parcel, that arrived through FedEx, trapped cos of this issue since last week Wednesday but the good news is that FedEx delivered my parcel this morning (like 30 minutes ago). So I guess work is now on. Thanks everybody for your contributions and thanks Mr. r231. Have a lovely weekend people.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by TheMadame(f): 10:11am On Nov 28, 2014
lakeside2u:
I have been monitoring this post with keen interest cos I got a parcel, that arrived through FedEx, trapped cos of this issue since last week Wednesday but the good news is that FedEx delivered my parcel this morning (like 30 minutes ago). So I guess work is now on. Thanks everybody for your contributions and thanks Mr. r231. Have a lovely weekend people.

Yesterday the Customs Area Comptroller only allowed diplomatic presidential,,perishables and certain urgent cargo to be released after some Embassies and courier companies wrote letter of appeals to him.
The airport is not opened. I am there right now.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ZACHIE: 10:22am On Nov 28, 2014
You people should stop deceiving yourselves.
The shed is still shut, as at this morning.
A meeting is expecetd to hold today where Olanrewaju the Evil one will outline his new rules and regulations.
Only when Agents agree to them will the shed be opened.
Perhaps, perhaps not, Monday is the earliest anything can happen out there meaningfully.

Truly, if it is not broken, don`t fix it.
Olanrewaju has broken it, refixed it, then broke it again and is still breaking it.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 11:11am On Nov 28, 2014
Choi shocked which kin wahala be dis again naaau? See rain wan fall now undecided This Olanrewaju man ....you wan inherit curses from thousands of shippers and importers eh? Mark my words .....he won't last there o!

From look of things 'agents' may not want to accept the terms meaning importers items are at the mercy of Olarenwaju and Agents + Airport Rats and Weather undecided

God dey!
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ZACHIE: 11:41am On Nov 28, 2014
at the end of Olanrewaju,s exercise, Importers will pay more taxes.
The coming benchmark will make some of you scream.
That is why Agents are fighting the guy.
Imagine a shipment 10kgs paying 60,000 for clearing? It will be more than 100k in the days ahead.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by helphelp: 12:02pm On Nov 28, 2014
ZACHIE:
at the end of Olanrewaju,s exercise, Importers will pay more taxes.
The coming benchmark will make some of you scream.
That is why Agents are fighting the guy.
Imagine a shipment 10kgs paying 60,000 for clearing? It will be more than 100k in the days ahead.

I doubt clearing will jump from what it is to either 6,000 or 10,000 per kg

Kilode 60k to clear 10kg

Guy, take am easy na

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ZACHIE: 12:15pm On Nov 28, 2014
helphelp:

I doubt clearing will jump from what it is to either 6,000 or 10,000 per kg

Kilode 60k to clear 10kg

Guy, take am easy na

sitdown there dey look!!!
You know wetin benchmark means?
Oya nah! Wait and see.
With what he is planning, there will be no more `carry go`.
All that tarmac pick up will cease. All shipments no matter how small must pay at the benchmark. Na that time una go come `gba`
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by helphelp: 12:22pm On Nov 28, 2014
ZACHIE:

sitdown there dey look!!!
You know wetin benchmark means?
Oya nah! Wait and see.
With what he is planning, there will be no more `carry go`.
All that tarmac pick up will cease. All shipments no matter how small must pay at the benchmark. Na that time una go come `gba`

I agree no more "carry go"...but bros do you even have an idea the clearing cost per kg now?
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Caveatemptor(m): 1:20pm On Nov 28, 2014
Thank you @ ZACHIE, you are truly on ground as per airport matters. Let them continue listening to someone in the UK while we. that are on. ground in the airport are being called harbingers of bad news because we are tellinng the truth.

As I am posting Olarenwaju who will open the airport is. not even in the office.
The current bennch mark is 50 thousand but Olanrewaju is trying to jerk it up to 100 thousand.

NAGAFF to open customms airport. I laugh. in clearing agent language. .
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by TheMadame(f): 1:38pm On Nov 28, 2014
I learnt Olanrewaju went to attend zonal coordinators meeting at Harvey Road. Heard the agents leaders also went there to prevail on Olanrewaju to open the airport.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 4:43pm On Nov 28, 2014
@ZACHIE and @Caveatemptor ...we all appreciate your contributions, frequent updates and also an insight into what the future days hold. We are however begging you to tone down so you don't give importers heartache. Many people here have got their package stuck now for weeks. Some of these things are susceptible to weather and other vagaries.

So unfortunate that in Nigeria ...we all forget that we're also human when carrying out our duities 'dutifully' and that one day everything that is up there ....comes down to roost
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Caveatemptor(m): 5:22pm On Nov 28, 2014
^^
I am sorry,but with me you only get facts and the truth. I work at the airport and I am also feeling the adverse effects of the closure of the airport,but I can not tell lies. Majority of genuine workers at the airport including customs officers are not in support of Olanrewaju but take it from me he is the only one with the authority to open the airport except his superiors in Abuja over rule him.
He came to his office at three in the afternoon today and he did not meet with the agents nor the management of any of the warehouses. So. even expectting the airport to be opened by monday is a serious long shot.
People are suffering. Goods have beenn depposited by planes in the oppen on the tarmac to the extent that goods now lay strewn across the tarmac to thee fire stationn. If you know the airport well you can understand the picture I am painting. We are looking at serious congestion whenever the airpport is opened.
By that ttime importers will pay anything Olanrewaju wants to get their cargo out of the airport. Are Nahco and Sahcol management going to be able to handle this congestion?
I personally feel tuesday/Wednesday next week is the most realistic day we can expect the airport to open.
Caveatemptor:
^^
^^
I am sorry,but with me you only get facts and the truth. I work at the airport and I am also feeling the adverse effects of the closure of the airport,but I can not tell lies. Majority of genuine workers at the airport including customs officers are not in support of Olanrewaju but take it from me he is the only one with the authority to open the airport except his superiors in Abuja over rule him.
He came to his office at three in the afternoon today and he did not meet with the agents nor the management of any of the warehouses. So. even expectting the airport to be opened by monday is a serious long shot.
People are suffering. Goods have beenn depposited by planes in the oppen on the tarmac to the extent that goods now lay strewn across the tarmac to thee fire stationn. If you know the airport well you can understand the picture I am painting. We are looking at serious congestion whenever the airpport is opened.
By that ttime importers will pay anything Olanrewaju wants to get their cargo out of the airport. Are Nahco and Sahcol management going to be able to handle this congestion?
I personally feel tuesday/Wednesday next week is the most realistic day we can expect the airport to open.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Tanker Carrying Petrol Explodes With Driver Trapped inside In Ebonyi (Photos) / Car Splits Into Two After Accident In Delta, But Driver Walks Out Alive. Photos / Tell Us The Best Places To Live In Nigeria And Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.