Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,618 members, 7,816,542 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS (20036 Views)

''How Nnamdi Kanu Was Arrested In Lagos'' – DSS / Boko Haram: Condoms And Sex Enhancing Drugs Found In Raided Camp / Nigerians In Benin Republic Raided And Dumped In A Camp (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by wirinet(m): 12:24pm On Nov 23, 2014
Firefire:

God bless you.

APC should stop crying... they should approach the court.

Haba...

This is the favourite quote of PDP, they commit all sorts of Illegality with the excuse of "Go to court" know fully well that they have basterdized the judiciary. It would take years to get reprieve in the courts if you get it at all. By the time the case gets to the supreme court, the judgement would have become irrelevant. Elections is coming up in less than 3 months time, and the PDP is intimidating opponents and the opposition party with police, DSS, SSS, and hooded men, and they are screaming go to court.

1 Like

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by duni04(m): 12:25pm On Nov 23, 2014
KEYSERSOZE:

I see such banners everywhere in Lagos, even on public toilets. That is not the kind of signage you use for offices. Saw a mad man once @ yaba by the rail line wearing such banner. If a train crushes him, am very sure Mr Lai would say "GEJ orders New PDP trains to crush all APC party agent".
Spoken like a true illiterate. So the DSS has the right to invade and vandalise houses in Lagos or any other part of Nigeria without signage?

2 Likes

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Mogidi: 12:25pm On Nov 23, 2014
wirinet:

So what is the offense here? Is it an offense no to put up a signpost in front of an office. I for one refuse to put up a sign post in front of my office, have i broken Nigerian law? I have been to a big packaging office at Oba Akran in Ikeja, it took me hours to locate the office because there was no sign whatsoever in front of the big factory.

To me putting up a sign post or not is at the discretion of the owners of the office.

Even as big as bet9ja is, I had a difficult time locating their head office at Ojuelgba, because at that time there was no sign whatsoever in front of their office. Now there is only a small banner at the Gate.

Its ok not to put a sign post of your business, except you're in the business of campaigning for votes in which case publicity is vital. Are APC offices shy of publicising their party?
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Firefire(m): 12:26pm On Nov 23, 2014
wirinet:

This is the favourite quote of PDP, they commit all sorts of Illegality with the excuse of "Go to court" know fully well that they have basterdized the judiciary. It would take years to get reprieve in the courts if you get it at all. By the time the case gets to the supreme court, the judgement would have become irrelevant. Elections is coming up in less than 3 months time, and the PDP is intimidating opponents and the opposition party with police, DSS, SSS, and hooded men, and they are screaming go to court.

so, you also believe those propaganda by APC shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Mogidi: 12:27pm On Nov 23, 2014
duni04:

Spoken like a true illiterate. So the DSS has the right to invade and vandalise houses in Lagos or any other part of Nigeria without signage?

The DSS has the right to invade any place used for nefarious activity, if you have a problem with that, I suggest you head to court.

1 Like

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Mogidi: 12:29pm On Nov 23, 2014
wirinet:

This is the favourite quote of PDP, they commit all [b]sorts of Illegality with the excuse of "Go to court" [/b]know fully well that they have basterdized the judiciary. It would take years to get reprieve in the courts if you get it at all. By the time the case gets to the supreme court, the judgement would have become irrelevant. Elections is coming up in less than 3 months time, and the PDP is intimidating opponents and the opposition party with police, DSS, SSS, and hooded men, and they are screaming go to court.

Would it be more apt to say go to hell?
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by egift(m): 12:29pm On Nov 23, 2014
KEYSERSOZE:
I see such banners everywhere in Lagos, even on public toilets. That is not the kind of signage you use for offices. Saw a mad man once @ yaba by the rail line wearing such banner. If a train crushes him, am very sure Mr Lai would say "GEJ orders New PDP trains to crush all APC party agent".

Stop mixing issues here. The question is did DSS know it was APC that were occupying the Premisses? If they are gathering evidence, why were they destroying the computers? Who was the person that petitioned APC? And why did they impersonate the Navy when the Nigerian Navy has officially said they had nothing to do with such operation.

PDP want their hands on a copy of APC membership register. The question is what dubious agenda does the killer party has in motion?
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Firefire(m): 12:30pm On Nov 23, 2014
egift:

Stop mixing issues here. The question is did DSS know it was APC that were occupying the Premisses? If they are gathering evidence, why were they destroying the computers? Who was the person that petitioned APC? And why did they impersonate the Navy when the Nigerian Navy has officially said they had nothing to do with such operation.

PDP want their hands on a copy of APC membership register. The question is what dubious agenda does the killer party has in motion?

Listen to yourself... - SMH

3 Likes

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Mogidi: 12:31pm On Nov 23, 2014
mrofficial:

Show to the world PDP data centre with signs! Hypocrite!

I don't know where PDP data centre is but am sure it would not be used for illegal activities as this APC office seems to be doing.
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by duni04(m): 12:32pm On Nov 23, 2014
Mogidi:

The DSS has the right to invade any place used for nefarious activity, if you have a problem with that, I suggest you head to court.
The onus is on the DSS to prove to a judge that nefarious activities are taking place in that place and obtain a warrant to search the place. Let's even agree that illegal activities were taking place there. If the DSS tries to prosecute the persons involved, the case will be thrown out on a technicality because there was no warrant to search the place in the first place.
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Mogidi: 12:33pm On Nov 23, 2014
egift:

You seems to speak with conviction, were you there when the raid took place? How are you sure the APC staff didn't destroy those computers to hide their activities?
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by wirinet(m): 12:33pm On Nov 23, 2014
Mogidi:

Its ok not to put a sign post of your business, except you're in the business of campaigning for votes in which case publicity is vital. Are APC offices shy of publicising their party?

It is a pity that i have to start defending APC, because i detest they way they have ruled Lagos, these past 15 years, but that is a subject for another day. APC never told you that the said office was their campaign office. They said it is a DATA OFFICE, and data offices are not supposed to attract the general public or ordinary party members.

I have a friend that works at a data center on V/I, they handle all Nigerian Custom's data base. Believe me, you would not know what goes on in there except you know a person working there. I only got to know when i was asked to quote for a power back up system for their servers. The place always look deserted as they do not deal with the general public.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by ocelot2006(m): 12:34pm On Nov 23, 2014
chamboy:
After reading different statement from dss n Apc spokesperson. Here are my questions..
1. Why did DSS disguise in NAVAL outfit?
2. Why did DSS destroy the hard drives of the Systems n server?
3. Why did DSS arrest the 18 workers?
4. When did Search Operation become the work of DSS?
5. After the Raid, What did DSS come up with.

APC was so fast to claim the building, seems they are confidence that it a genuine Business Center...

1) I suggest you read the post again. It says it was a joint operation Btw the DSS and the Navy, not DSS disguised as Navy personnel. Btw, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Navy but the Nigerian Police Force, cos both Forces wear blue camouflage. Using the Navy makes no sense.
2) All I see is a rack without the servers and PCS without their hard drives. So that means the DSS catered them off for investigation. I do not see any smashed drives or servers.
3) Yes arrest were made so as to determine the culprits behind the hacking operation which Btw is a cybercrime.
4) The DSS is the nation's domestic intelligence service and secret police. Yes they have the right to carry out arrests and searches. Read about them.
5) Investigations are never completed overnight. When they're through the DSS will inform the public.

Overall, great job DSS

2 Likes

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Mogidi: 12:35pm On Nov 23, 2014
duni04:

The onus is on the DSS to prove to a judge that nefarious activities are taking place in that place and obtain a warrant to search the place. Let's even agree that illegal activities were taking place there. If the DSS tries to prosecute the persons involved, the case will be thrown out on a technicality because there was no warrant to search the place in the first place.

Why would the DSS need to warn them they were coming by going to court? Wouldn't that give them ample time to destroy all records?
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by duni04(m): 12:36pm On Nov 23, 2014
ocelot2006:

1) I suggest you read the post again. It says it was a joint operation Btw the DSS and the Navy, not DSS disguised as Navy personnel. Btw, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Navy but the Nigerian Police Force, cos both Forces wear blue camouflage. Using the Navy makes no sense.
2) All I see is a rack without the servers and PCS without their hard drives. So that means the DSS catered them off for investigation. I do not see any smashed drives or servers.
3) Yes arrest were made so as to determine the culprits behind the hacking operation which Btw is a cybercrime.
4) The DSS is the nation's domestic intelligence service and secret police. Yes they have the right to carry out arrests and searches. Read about them.
5) Investigations are never completed overnight. When they're through the DSS will inform the public.

Overall, great job DSS
Lol who was hacking what?
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by duni04(m): 12:39pm On Nov 23, 2014
Mogidi:

Why would the DSS need to warn them they were coming by going to court? Wouldn't that give them ample time to destroy all records?
Oga to obtain a warrant from a judge! If you know there's nothing sinister behind your search, the protocol is to go to a judge and get a warrant to search the place. Its not a long process.
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by egift(m): 12:39pm On Nov 23, 2014
Mogidi:
You seems to speak with conviction, were you there when the raid took place? How are you sure the APC staff didn't destroy those computers to hide their activities?

You seem to pretended as if it did not happen. Now you want to spin it that APC destroyed their facilities, even when DSS has come out to announce they carried out the operation. How more pathetic can you be?

[img]http://2.bp..com/-TNdOk8UD61I/VHGEAPRocwI/AAAAAAABZZk/sjmqzrkBurk/s280/APC4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-jhkF3iKGnmI/VHGEDTdk-zI/AAAAAAABZZ8/iC05t6PVnDU/s280/APC7.jpg[/img]

More: https://www.nairaland.com/2011323/dss-operatives-soldiers-raid-lagos
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by tommysparks: 12:40pm On Nov 23, 2014
wirinet:

So what is the offense here? Is it an offense no to put up a signpost in front of an office. I for one refuse to put up a sign post in front of my office, have i broken Nigerian law? I have been to a big packaging office at Oba Akran in Ikeja, it took me hours to locate the office because there was no sign whatsoever in front of the big factory.

To me putting up a sign post or not is at the discretion of the owners of the office.

Even as big as bet9ja is, I had a difficult time locating their head office at Ojuelgba, because at that time there was no sign whatsoever in front of their office. Now there is only a small banner at the Gate.
my brother not having a signpost in your place of business contravene the company and Allied act and apc is dully registered with cac hence they are bound by that act to have a signpost in their office and branches nationwide.

1 Like

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Mogidi: 12:42pm On Nov 23, 2014
duni04:

Oga to obtain a warrant from a judge! If you know there's nothing sinister behind your search, the protocol is to go to a judge and get a warrant to search the place. Its not a long process.

Have your investigation proven they didn't have a court order?
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by tommysparks: 12:44pm On Nov 23, 2014
egift:

You seem to pretended as if it did not happen. Now you want to spin it that APC destroyed their facilities, even when DSS has come out to announce they carried out the operation. How more pathetic can you be?

[img]http://2.bp..com/-TNdOk8UD61I/VHGEAPRocwI/AAAAAAABZZk/sjmqzrkBurk/s280/APC4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-jhkF3iKGnmI/VHGEDTdk-zI/AAAAAAABZZ8/iC05t6PVnDU/s280/APC7.jpg[/img] on this image I see a smashed door which means the occupants refused to open the door willingly hence something was being hidden, he who has nothing to hide has nothing to fear

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Soloter(m): 12:44pm On Nov 23, 2014
Firefire:
“A source sent a petition to us that they were using that office to corrupt INEC computer systems and hack into the network so that they can replicate permanent voter’s cards.

“We watched the place for two weeks and got a valid warrant from the court to search the office. When we got there, we saw over 50 computers.

[size=20pt]“The building in question has no signboard indicating that it is APC office. We monitored the place for about two weeks after the petition before we got in. When we got in today (Saturday), we saw over 50 computer sets with about 18 staff.

“Other political parties have signboards and signposts indicating that it is their office. There was nothing indicating that it belonged to a political party.”

[/size]

APC WHY? Why ?? Why embarassed
we go hear the truth soon. more revelations coming ...
and you trust this giberish coming from a security orgaisation that is insincere.
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Mogidi: 12:45pm On Nov 23, 2014
egift:

What you fail to realise is the APC could as well destroy their computers to hide facts and records.

Who says the APC can't destroy their own computers to hide their nefarious activities?

1 Like

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by duni04(m): 12:47pm On Nov 23, 2014
Mogidi:

Have your investigation proven they didn't have a court order?
They obviously did not because the DSS spokesperson did not mention it and the APC did not see it. If they did have a warrant, there wouldn't be any need for this thread because the search would have been a legitimate one.
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by wirinet(m): 12:48pm On Nov 23, 2014
tommysparks:
my brother not having a signpost in your place of business contravene the company and Allied act and apc is dully registered with cac hence they are bound by that act to have a signpost in their office and branches nationwide.

Well, i am not a lawyer and i am not conversant with the Company and Allied Act, but there are millions of businesses in Nigeria without any sign post in front of their offices or branches.

Please educate us further by quoting the relevant sections of the Company and Allied Act that mandate COMPANIES to put up sign post in all their branches nationwide.

Also i am getting a surprising new education from you, i never knew political parties in Nigeria are required to register with the CAC, please provide proof. I had thought they were only required to be registered with INEC.

1 Like

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by 1wolex85: 12:49pm On Nov 23, 2014
Urine:
As much as I respect the DSS, Ogar doesn't have any idea of what she's saying.

1. If she says there was an attempt to hack the INEC network, does that means INEC an important and sensitive institution doesn't have an intrusion detection system? In fact the IPs that should be able to access the database should be limited.

2. If the APC data centre was an hacking office, you don't need to physically be in the premises to access their logs. DSS officials can access it if they are really good. Also with the manner they stormed the office, it would have been easy for the alleged hackers to clean up evidence, with a single button that evidence will be wiped clean.

3. If a real hacker wants to hack, he/she won't need a party office to do it. Even dumb hackers always get the 'gist' about location.

Ms Ogar needs to come up with a more compelling argument to convince me.
I am so sure you are an IT person. No IT person will buy this story dss is selling. Imagine them expecting a sign board at a data center! Who does that? Like you said, dss doesn't need to invade any office to catch the hackers, all they need to do is to set up a honey pot to attract the hackers. A lot of folks here talking about what they do not know.

4 Likes

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by ocelot2006(m): 12:51pm On Nov 23, 2014
duni04:

Lol who was hacking what?

Jeez....READ THE REPORT AGAIN. It clearly says that someone in that building was hacking INEC's database. That is a MAJOR crime.

1 Like

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by Mogidi: 12:51pm On Nov 23, 2014
duni04:

They obviously did not because the DSS spokesperson did not mention it and the APC did not see it. If they did have a warrant, there wouldn't be any need for this thread because the search would have been a legitimate one.

Did you ask the DSS spokesman if they had a court order? Until more facts become public, am with the DSS on this one.
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by ocelot2006(m): 1:02pm On Nov 23, 2014
blackfase:
While a hack could be possible, & while I also do not trust the desperadoes in APC, DSS acted very unproffessionally doin vandalism. What happened to gathering hard evidence from the wares to that effect?....
I so so hate Nigerian politics & its polithievcians. Everything is just becoming more & more ludicruous by the day....... *spits on them all

For pete's sake, how were the DSS unprofessional in their action?! Everything was done By THE BOOK.

1) they staked out the unmarked place for 2 weeks gathering intelligence
2)the got a search warrant
3) the stormed the site in the early hours to catch the culprits by suprise (like every other LEO ops carried out locally and internationally)
4) Hard drives and servers were siezed for further investjgation
5) Arrests were made to determine the brains behind the operations.

What else do you think they ought to have done? Why don't you read about arrests carried by the FBI ' S Cybercrime Division against hackers and let's see if anything was done differently.
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by CyberWolf: 1:03pm On Nov 23, 2014
JANK23H:

You are the ignorant one here.The data centre of a major political party should have a sign post where their members and everybody can identify it,otherwise they are hiding something.
A data center of such magnitude should even be located at their national headquarter, Abuja..They should extract the data in the hard drive to know whats in there... angry angry
Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by fyneguy: 1:05pm On Nov 23, 2014
JANK23H:

You are the ignorant one here.The data centre of a major political party should have a sign post where their members and everybody can identify it,otherwise they are hiding something.

Hello, stop dropping balderdash.

One of the security features of datacenters is to hide them from public glare. Banks and telecom firms have datacenters in Ojota, Gbagada, Ilupeju, Oregun and on the Island but you will never know they are, let alone their owners. There are no signboards.

Now thank me for enlightening you.

1 Like

Re: Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS by ocelot2006(m): 1:10pm On Nov 23, 2014
Urine:
As much as I respect the DSS, Ogar doesn't have any idea of what she's saying.

1. If she says there was an attempt to hack the INEC network, does that means INEC an important and sensitive institution doesn't have an intrusion detection system? In fact the IPs that should be able to access the database should be limited.

2. If the APC data centre was an hacking office, you don't need to physically be in the premises to access their logs. DSS officials can access it if they are really good. Also with the manner they stormed the office, it would have been easy for the alleged hackers to clean up evidence, with a single button that evidence will be wiped clean.

3. If a real hacker wants to hack, he/she won't need a party office to do it. Even dumb hackers always get the 'gist' about location.

Ms Ogar needs to come up with a more compelling argument to convince me.

it is one thing for INEC to just install firewalls at it's end. It's another for the DSS to get to the source of these intrusion and dismantle it for good. And I say the DSS has done a good job on that. I do agree though that the DSS could've accessed the premises network remotely. Then again, it could've been done with evidence gathered, hence the decision to carry out that sting operation in the early hours.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Ebonyi Rejects FG's Proposed Cattle Ranching / Oniru Lawal Honours Toyin Saraki, Others At First Coronation Anniversary (Photo) / Gunmen Raze Houses Of APC & LP Chairmen In Imo State, Kidnap Monarch's Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.