Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,405 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? (1228 Views)

Am On Tour To Understand Causes Of Nigeria’s Epileptic Power Supply: Fashola / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation / Imolites Are Difficult To Govern – Okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by infantrydoctor(m): 6:00am On Nov 28, 2014
I don' know if this is the right section to post this though. I have introduced Nairaland to some of my foreign friends here in Asia, indians, sr lankas, nepalese,afghanistans,tajikistans and bhutans. A number of them really like the forum. But the problem is they can't stop coming to ask me the meaning of words,phrases etc. So to whom it may concern, is it possible to create a section for foreigners on this forum where possible,there will be strict adherence to normal English usage?

2 Likes

Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by iterator25: 6:01am On Nov 28, 2014
there's a section for foreign affairs, look around dude

2 Likes

Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by infantrydoctor(m): 6:09am On Nov 28, 2014
iterator25:
No? Thats not what l mean. Dont we also use slang,pigin and other languages on that section?

1 Like

Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by Nobody: 6:13am On Nov 28, 2014
WeRe do you stay in asia I stay @ iran can we meet up some times cus I find it hard to see nigerians here
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by Chanchit: 6:20am On Nov 28, 2014
All you can do is to keep explaining the Nigerian way of writing to them till they get used to our slangs.
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by RockMaxi: 6:27am On Nov 28, 2014
iterator25:

The OP is talking about style of writing and you are refering him to sections on Nairaland, are you also from ASIA.. grin

4 Likes

Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by bolaino(m): 6:31am On Nov 28, 2014
RockMaxi:

The OP is talking about style of writing and you are refering him to sections on Nairaland, are you also from ASIA.. grin

good question.

2 Likes

Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by seankafor(m): 6:33am On Nov 28, 2014
Then u can visit asianland cos here in naija we visit nairaland

3 Likes

Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by Bigcake: 6:40am On Nov 28, 2014
When i was in Jamaica i got used to their slangs and it was beautiful to learn, please tell those your Asian friends to learn our slangs as well... I believe with time they will appreciate it. We need to promote made in Naija Language.

6 Likes

Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by sunnshyn(f): 6:44am On Nov 28, 2014
Instead of you to teach them our lingua franca, our slangs so that they learn or at least appreciate our culture, you are asking that we forget ourselves so that your foreign frnds can feel good or welcomed? isn't this inferior complex my people?

Listen Op, if u cannot take d pain to translate or explain our slangs and words that unify us as Nigerian nationals to ur foreign friends pls let them stay away from this forum or at least find other 'strict english speaking' forums arounds...

9 Likes

Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by Bigcake: 6:45am On Nov 28, 2014
The day the Chinese and lebanese start speaking english and not their local language in Nigeria will be the day we will stop usage of our slangs. These chinese guys do not want the locals working with them to understand anything hence the resort to communication with their local language. I always believe that ''WHAT IS GOOD FOR GREECE IS GOOD FOR UGANDA'', sorry i meant geese and gander....

3 Likes

Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by holatin(m): 6:53am On Nov 28, 2014
pls what d name of the site nairaland or foreignlander ?
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 28, 2014
infantrydoctor:
indians, sr lankas, nepalese,afghanistans,tajikistans and bhutans.

even better oyibo countries dey enjoy our pigin, na because of those yeye countries you wan make we change our language?? nawaoo!!!!
wetin be BHUTANS sef? i never hia dat one before? ...... you sef come get friend for TAJIKISTAN? grin grin grin grin
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by newguy1(m): 7:42am On Nov 28, 2014
Dat is not our problem it theirs . Nairaland is for naijas. Quest r allowed to visit but if day don't understand what they r reading no offence day should just visit site they r familiar with shikena
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by AustineE1: 7:48am On Nov 28, 2014
DrJoe1:

even better oyibo countries dey enjoy our pigin, na because of those yeye countries you wan make we change our language?? nawaoo!!!!
wetin be BHUTANS sef? i never hia dat one before? ...... you sef come get friend for TAJIKISTAN? grin grin grin grin

as much as its nt possible for we Nigerians to change the way we speak or write because we derive pride and even greater national identity from it,it doesnt give you the justification to speak of other nationals in a derogatory manner...talking about reverse racism!!!
His friends love Nigeria and wish to participate in our forum.

1 Like

Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 28, 2014
wetin be dis again, hun, everybody wants Nigerians to behave like them! Nigerians must speak and behave like English, Americans, South Africans, and now like Asians, chei chei chei, dere is Goduuu oooo!
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by Nonybb: 7:53am On Nov 28, 2014
You want us to accomodate them by not speaking/writing with our own slang. That is why the Hausa Ab0ki gambaris wants arabic in naira and yet none of them could understood it but a little number of them. We reject our own, strives to learn others and yet deny our own to please others. Thats why they call us Monkies

2 Likes

Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by kokoA(m): 8:06am On Nov 28, 2014
I schooled in Asia and I still understand Naija slang.
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 28, 2014
Ask Texanomaly how she got the hang of it.
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 28, 2014
AustineE1:

as much as its nt possible for we Nigerians to change the way we speak or write because we derive pride and even greater national identity from it,it doesnt give you the justification to speak of other nationals in a derogatory manner...talking about reverse racism!!!
His friends love Nigeria and wish to participate in our forum.

derogatroy manner ke? who gives a fvck? am sure you have not been in anyof the aforementioned countries, otherwise you wouldn't use the word 'love nigeira'
we ve gat people from different nationalities in this forum, if your TAJIKISTAN friend can't cope, let them go and learn pigin.

#don't quote me again
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by idumuose(m): 8:19am On Nov 28, 2014
Teach them our slang.Simple!
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by infantrydoctor(m): 8:59am On Nov 28, 2014
idumuose:
Teach them our slang.Simple!
Where do you think l will start from?
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by infantrydoctor(m): 9:21am On Nov 28, 2014
samflexxy:
WeRe do you stay in asia I stay @ iran can we meet up some times cus I find it hard to see nigerians here
Am in lndia bro. Indore precisely, Mahyda Pradesh.
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by infantrydoctor(m): 9:35am On Nov 28, 2014
DrJoe1:

derogatroy manner ke? who gives a fvck? am sure you have not been in anyof the aforementioned countries, otherwise you wouldn't use the word 'love nigeira'
we ve gat people from different nationalities in this forum, if your TAJIKISTAN friend can't cope, let them go and learn pigin.

#don't quote me again
Bro sorry to disobey u o. They do love Nigeria . As a matter of fact av always have reasons to be proud of bn a nigerian here in lndia. Except if you are a nigerianin diaspora putting up shameful behaviour only then you wont be loved.
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by idumuose(m): 9:37am On Nov 28, 2014
infantrydoctor:

Where do you think l will start from?
Start from somewhere.For instance tell them "na wetin" means "what is it". "The man rich die" means "the man is very wealthy"gringrin grin
They will like it.We cannot adjust our language to suit foreigners,instead,they should brace up and learn ours.
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 28, 2014
infantrydoctor:

Am in lndia bro. Indore precisely, Mahyda Pradesh.
wow I'll be doing my internship in india indore to be precise
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by infantrydoctor(m): 9:51am On Nov 28, 2014
sunnshyn:
Instead of you to teach them our lingua franca, our slangs so that they learn or at least appreciate our culture, you are asking that we forget ourselves so that your foreign frnds can feel good or welcomed? isn't this inferior complex my people?

Listen Op, if u cannot take d pain to translate or explain our slangs and words that unify us as Nigerian nationals to ur foreign friends pls let them stay away from this forum or at least find other 'strict english speaking' forums arounds...

No sir, its not inferior ity complex abi na auditorium. Its rather a way of making the forum also appealing and interesting to other nationals. This is something that was made in Nigeria n there is nothing wrong if we can sell it to other ppl. Imagine if the inventors of other social networks have made them for their countrymen only. Facebook comes to mind. And besides am not saying the whole part of the forum. I said a section.
Re: Most Nairaland Topics Are Difficult For Non Nigerians To Understand? by infantrydoctor(m): 9:58am On Nov 28, 2014
samflexxy:
wow I'll be doing my internship in india indore to be precise

And that would be when? I thought you just said you live in lran.

(1) (Reply)

APC Screening - Atiku Vs Rochas Okorocha / Odey Ochicha Emerges Cross River APC Guber Candidate / Don’t Vote For Buhari, He Will Bring Back Dictatorship – Mu’azu Begs Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.