Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,863 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help (25448 Views)

The Planned Relocation Of Boko Haram Convicts To Anambra Prisons- Obiano Speaks / 28 Inmates Of Ikoyi Prisons To Sit For JAMB / Nigerians In Togo Prisons Cry Out. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by lalasticlala(m): 10:39am On Nov 28, 2014
His name in Igbo language means “Lord bless me”. But today Chigozie is certainly not feeling blessed as he is one of the numerous Nigerians currently serving various jail terms in Ghanaian prisons.

He was arrested at the airport in Ghana while trying to smuggle Marijuana to Hong Kong and was subsequently sentenced to 15 years imprisonment. Chigozie’s health is said to have deteriorated, allegedly due to the poor condition of the prison. They (inmates) are allegedly denied food and medical attention when sick.

Chigozie and other Nigerians who are languishing in Ghanaian prisons have, therefore, appealed to the Federal Government to repatriate them back to Nigeria to complete their jail terms. He narrated his ordeal to Vanguard Metro, VM on telephone.

“I want to first of all, say that I am truly sorry for engaging in drug trafficking and bringing dishonour to my country, Nigeria. Before I was arrested, I was supplying computer accessories to traders in Ghana.

I later got involved in drug trafficking and was caught with Marijuana at the Airport while attempting to travel to Hong Kong. I was charged to court and sentenced to 15 years imprisonment. I have already served about 12 months and still have 14 years to go.

Presently, I am very sick and need medical care. But the authorities have refused to allow me and other Nigerian prisoners access to medical attention. I don’t want to die in a foreign prison. We are treated like animals and the conditions are terrible. When a Nigeria eventually dies in prison, his relatives are not usually notified,” he said.
Pleads for government intervention

Continuing, he said: “ I am pleading to the Nigeria government to intervene to enable Nigerians who are prisoners in Ghana have access to medical treatment when sick or better still, bring us back to serve our jail terms in Nigeria.

Our families are in the dark, they really don’t know what we are facing. We’ve spent a lot of money trying to appeal in court, but all to no avail.

“ I have witnessed over 100 deaths of Nigerian citizens in Ghanaian prisons and most of their families are not even aware. They still nurse the hope of their return without knowing they are dead and thrown into the bush. We appeal to the government of Nigeria to please act on our behalf and repatriate us back home. We have many Nigerians in all the 46 prisons in Ghana that need the help of the Nigerian government.”

Another prisoner at Nsawam Medium Security Prison, Ghana who insisted on anonymity said: “I’m serving a jail-term of 50 years for narcotics not worth up to one kilogramme. I am presently in my sixth year in jail

Appeal

“We appeal to the Nigerian government to please come to our aid and repatriate us back to Nigerian prisons to serve our remaining sentences. The condition here is very unbearable. We need to reconnect with our families. The Ghanaian police are fond of arresting innocent Nigerians, giving them high sentences of 50, 70 ,100, 150 to 200 years. Most of us have spent eight, 10, 15, 17 and 20 years in prison and some have died without completing their jail terms,” he alleged.

Revenge

“ My prosecutor told me that he is dealing with Nigerians as a revenge for what the Nigerian government did to Ghanaians in 1983 and 1985 when they were deported during the infamous Ghana-Must-Go.”

Pray for us

He appealed to Nigerians to “please continue to pray for us and do what you can to bring us back home”.

His words: “Another sad part is that most of us are on sick bed without drugs and food. We are in prison yet we feed our selves.

This is the hardship Nigerian citizens in all the prisons in Ghana are facing. I have been sick for the past three months and they have not taken me to the hospital or given me any drug. They treat us like animals. They give us only dry garri.
We have no access to communication. I know how I suffered to reach you. Our hopes and the lives of about 800 to 1000 Nigerian prisoners in the 46 prisons in Ghana lies in your hand. Please, help us reach out to the Nigeria government”.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/nigerians-ghana-prisons-cry-help/

1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by chibwike(m): 10:43am On Nov 28, 2014
This is pathetic., Ghana our very own african brothers again., well that goes along way to show how their govt is serious bout tackling crimes and corruption.,
i dont think we ve got these strict laws here in nigeria.

Well dats by the way,. . Our dear federal govt,. Please come to their aid..we shud not let them die like that.,

if they ve realised their mistakes and turned a new leaf.

They should be released biko.

15 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 28, 2014
Is hard drugs the only thing our youth can export to other country ? I would have love them to rust there but since they've learnt their lesson the gov. Should do something about it. In other news na so revenge de hungry thiz people ?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by kristen12(f): 10:48am On Nov 28, 2014
May God have mercy on them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by theorbiters: 10:49am On Nov 28, 2014
I really don't understand these guys, I mean, in as much as the sentence passed is way to outrageous and the condition they face is really terrible, what were they expecting to happen? You wanted to make quick money but the plan was foiled I think u are being punished for ur negligence to obey the law. You can't start pleading for the govt to come rescue u, on what grounds? You can't justify ur actions in as much as the heavy sentence but we cud sure pray for u.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by Bigcake: 10:52am On Nov 28, 2014
This should serve as a warning to any young fellow who feels drugs trade is the best trade. If our government can help negotiate a swap then it will be a welcome idea.... Afterall blood is thicker than water...

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by englishmart(m): 10:54am On Nov 28, 2014
hmmm. Those of us schooling in France will have to be very careful....

In fact, I'm relocating to swaziland

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by chibwike(m): 10:56am On Nov 28, 2014
Aunt Ishilove FP Please
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by englishmart(m): 10:57am On Nov 28, 2014
drug trafficking isn't a good business! Nobody will put you in prison for doing a legitimate job....

Do things rightly and stay free from the law.

That's how we survive here in France

45 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 28, 2014
Bros,make i no lie to you.
you are on your own.
your best bet is to escape from prison or do ur sentence

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by seangy4konji: 11:13am On Nov 28, 2014
Don't do drugs.

Ok. We are going up again.

Last bullet:the bible and holy quoran says that train your child well(with good common sense also)when growing up so that he or she can give you peace and it also says that the child we do nt train well shall be the one t sell all our properties.

This made me remember the girl crying rape the other day from unilag?if they had trained her well?am sure they must have told her it's books they sent her to school to read and not go from one eatery to another to eventually get raped.

Now you leave shores of Nigeria to Ghana to do drugs ?not even Sweden or Canada. Ghana

You go hungry. You go suffer. You go tire (Fela Anikulapo kuti).

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by wizzie001(m): 11:24am On Nov 28, 2014
More reasons why one need to dwell more on the negative aspect I.e the repercussion of been caught when one is about to commit a crime, how on earth could someone spend the rest of his or her life in that foreign hell hole where one's a$$ would be subjected to drilling from time to time by gay in mates, sad angry

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by Funniez: 11:50am On Nov 28, 2014
Too bad. Well, if only they live in France like me, they wont be traficking drugs like that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by sommyblaze(m): 12:15pm On Nov 28, 2014
Us wen dey somalia prison nko? wetin go happen?
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by TrishaP(f): 12:15pm On Nov 28, 2014
Is Nigeria prison any better?

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by kepal99(m): 12:15pm On Nov 28, 2014
All these people sef... Una fit bookspace for heaven sef

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 28, 2014
Peddling Narcotics is Evil ..I believe the Nigerian Govt will look into his matter ,Na ecowas cum AU things .....

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by dreydee(m): 12:16pm On Nov 28, 2014
Every body using Nairaland App for sake of FTC grin

He thinks nigerian prisons are better

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by phollybee(m): 12:16pm On Nov 28, 2014
O maa se oooo
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 28, 2014
See as una dey comment rubbish because una wan appear for front page.....yeye dey smell cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by Ebubeslym(m): 12:17pm On Nov 28, 2014
seeing these promising souls languishing inside a ghananian prison goes to show that shortcuts to success is a double edged sword.

yeye dey smell

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by disloman(m): 12:17pm On Nov 28, 2014
englishmart:
drug trafficking isn't a good business! Nobody will put you in prison for doing a legitimate job....

Do things rightly and stay free from the law.

WORD

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by 3pleo: 12:17pm On Nov 28, 2014
See as the place dey like Awo hall grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by LEAFLET(m): 12:18pm On Nov 28, 2014
This is one sh*i I will never do in the name of making money..Sorry bro! That's life..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by adebrave1(m): 12:18pm On Nov 28, 2014
U see?? No be here alone nah. At least we still get wall fan nah grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by Bantino(m): 12:19pm On Nov 28, 2014
Quite a shame
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by holyboss: 12:19pm On Nov 28, 2014
God help dem
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by jbaby265(f): 12:19pm On Nov 28, 2014
how i wish......

am sober for you guys

God help them

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by ZUBY77(m): 12:19pm On Nov 28, 2014
It's not easy for Black people.
Due to bad governance, we are all struggling to make it through everyday.
The places that awaits us are the Prisons and the grave.
That's where we end up eventually and directly from struggle.

Africa is very unlucky. We are the worst of all humans when it comes to mindsets..

All German Prisons are better than almost all parts of Lagos State.
But an African Prison is a hell inside a hell. Yet we exist on the same planet. And some religious fanatics believe that we will end up in one hell or one Heaven. When some people are already in Heaven and hell here on earth.

Nigerians are in prions in every country on earth. We have been holding that record for one decade.
I am Igbo and I can tell you that most of them prisoners are Igbo. Thats a situation we found ourselves after post civil war policies that was specifically designed to keep us on the ground forever.

I read kids here pointing fingers at other tribes for being this or that. Nobody ever wanted to be a terrorist when he was born, the system made him to adopt that philosophy. Don't blame them, think of a way to convince them with your own ideologies. That's what is called wisdom. Not calling people names on the Internet as if your own life is perfect.

I was a drug Lord as well. But fortunately I skipped prison and knew when to run and start a legitimate business with the little I raised.

I advice everybody who intends to do drug business to have a plan from day one.
Set a goal of a capital required to do some legal business. Run away as so as you get it. You won't blame yourself much if you are captured before you make the capital. But you will blame yourself if you get that capital and remain in the business. Drug business is not a career business. Get that.

I know it's difficult to start a life especially if you don't have support..

Mother Nature will see all of us through.. But remember what I said "Plan from the beginning"

35 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by armadeo(m): 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2014
FP already.

BT topic.

Dude you did the crime so do the time.

Similar to that dude to be smoked in Malaysia for drugs.
By the way how did this arrive on FP.

grin grin grin
Warlords be charging their phones and lappys now.
grin grin grin

**** buys huge bag of guguru and epA with 1 liter coke, wears 3d specs, sits back****
Re: Nigerians In Ghana Prisons Cry Out For Help by bolajJP007: 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2014
Nigerians. There is no prison in the world you won't see them. Is it our leaders fault, parents or the society.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Buhari Delivers Dam Project Abandoned For 27 Years / Army Kills 38 Boko Haram Fighters, Loses 2 Soldiers In Chikingudu, Borno / PDP To Shehu: Hide Your Head In Shame Over Comments On Southern Kaduna Killings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.