Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,104 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Should We Stop Giving Tithe? - Religion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should We Stop Giving Tithe? (20129 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / How Do We Stop Islam ? / Why I Will Not Stop Giving To The Work Of God (part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by kenny888: 10:16am On May 18, 2011
eghosaobas:

how many of them would want to have a circular jobs?cos some of them are naturally lazy.
you can say that again. i want to agree with you and kunle on this tithing topics
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Hutho: 8:41pm On Apr 05, 2012
Jesus says, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them (Matthew 5:17). I absolutely agree that tithing is not wrong those who don't tithe are stingy people and argue for not tithing. You guys go make a church for yourselves to see how prosperous you will be. I am afraid you will go empty handed with your church.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 2:22am On Apr 06, 2012
Hutho: Jesus says, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them (Matthew 5:17). I absolutely agree that tithing is not wrong those who don't tithe are stingy people and argue for not tithing. You guys go make a church for yourselves to see how prosperous you will be. I am afraid you will go empty handed with your church.

This is your statement is baseless sir. Are you aware there are people that don't tithe but still give and are blessed. Can you explain how they are stingy and still become rich?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Hutho: 3:44am On Apr 06, 2012
If they are blessed, they should not stop those who do tithe or those who are willing to tithe and do not influence others not to tithe and do not say that tithing is a curse.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 4:11am On Apr 06, 2012
^^^
Do you believe Jesus was still under the law when he made that statement you quoted? And after he died and the law is already fulfilled, why are we still trying to keep it? An answer required sir.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Snowwy: 8:55am On Apr 06, 2012
goshen360: ^^^
Do you believe Jesus was still under the law when he made that statement you quoted? And after he died and the law is already fulfilled, why are we still trying to keep it? An answer required sir.

@goshen, I must say I am quite amazed at some of the statements you have made recently on tithe.

We have engaged each other once on tithe but you never answered my question.

Since Jesus was under the law when he made that statement, are you saying that all the statements Christ made before His death are void?

In other words, do you mean that mercy, faith, the love of God have been done away with since He said this in conjunction with not leaving tithe undone.
Of all the things Christ castigated the Pharisees of, He never said they should neglect tithing.
Yet he spoke against them concerning them regarding the legality of their keeping the sabbath, of stoning the adultress etc.

He told these same folk to give alms to the needy in Luke 11:41.

Since you claim you are a student of the new testament, what do you have to say about 1 Cor. 9:13-14.

Have you actually read Hebrews 7 in detail. Do you know that your drawing inference that tithe was abolished in Hebrews 7:18 is suspect especiall when Heb.7:13-16 is what was being talked about as being annulled? Moses spake of Priesthood to be done by Levites only and that is the law that was annulled because Christ sprang out of Judah, a priest in the order of Melchizedek (who Himself received tithes from Abraham when there was no law).

Under the law, people had freewill offering they gave as well and even a number of scriptures in the OT quote so that 'the people gave freely and were very happy to give'. Therefore giving in the NT is not some new commanment that was not done already in the OT. Infact giving IN PROPORTION to how you have prospered doesn't mean give what you feel like.
If the people in te OT gave so much, we under grace should give better. Therefore for people who say 'tithe' is a burden really mean they cannot actually give up to a tenth of how God has blessed them. That is the simple truth else they will not come up here to say tithe is a burden.

I am also really amazed at the way you go about saying people are not bible students or saying things like 'sit down let me teach you' or 'you will thank me when you hear the revelation I am going to give you'. You are acting like the very pastors you castigate.
It makes you assume to be infallible or to have all the revelation. I think we should realise people have dfferent revelations and acting like we know all makes us like we are not willing to learn (especially when faced with some aspects of the word they have dwelt on). I myself could be guilty of what I am telling you too. So this is not just directed at you but for us all to draw inferences from.
Cheers.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 2:22pm On Apr 06, 2012
@ Snowwy,

First, I will say you are the second person that will correct my statement of telling people they are not bible students are the likes. I thank you for that, I have since the first person said it taken a caution and ask the Lord to take it out of me, however, it's also something I should deal with myself. In other words, the fact that I know doesn't make mean I should castigate others who don't know but teach them. I agree with you bro, by the spirit of God. Thank you.

Second, when you and I engaged tithe teaching, we didn't conclude when we started. You have always known me for open to correction like we talked on preacher's salary. I don't mind you and I to engage the truth of tithe here in this thread or we open another thread. Let us for once since we read same bible dig deep and see the truth of it, if you don't mind. The fundamental truth is, biblical tithe is not as being preached today and you know it. Well, I will wait for your response sir. Thanks.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by PastorKun(m): 2:51pm On Apr 06, 2012
Snowwy:

@goshen, I must say I am quite amazed at some of the statements you have made recently on tithe.

We have engaged each other once on tithe but you never answered my question.

Since Jesus was under the law when he made that statement, are you saying that all the statements Christ made before His death are void?

In other words, do you mean that mercy, faith, the love of God have been done away with since He said this in conjunction with not leaving tithe undone.
Of all the things Christ castigated the Pharisees of, He never said they should neglect tithing.
Yet he spoke against them concerning them regarding the legality of their keeping the sabbath, of stoning the adultress etc.

He told these same folk to give alms to the needy in Luke 11:41.

Since you claim you are a student of the new testament, what do you have to say about 1 Cor. 9:13-14.

Have you actually read Hebrews 7 in detail. Do you know that your drawing inference that tithe was abolished in Hebrews 7:18 is suspect especiall when Heb.7:13-16 is what was being talked about as being annulled? Moses spake of Priesthood to be done by Levites only and that is the law that was annulled because Christ sprang out of Judah, a priest in the order of Melchizedek (who Himself received tithes from Abraham when there was no law).

Under the law, people had freewill offering they gave as well and even a number of scriptures in the OT quote so that 'the people gave freely and were very happy to give'. Therefore giving in the NT is not some new commanment that was not done already in the OT. Infact giving IN PROPORTION to how you have prospered doesn't mean give what you feel like.
If the people in te OT gave so much, we under grace should give better. Therefore for people who say 'tithe' is a burden really mean they cannot actually give up to a tenth of how God has blessed them. That is the simple truth else they will not come up here to say tithe is a burden.

I am also really amazed at the way you go about saying people are not bible students or saying things like 'sit down let me teach you' or 'you will thank me when you hear the revelation I am going to give you'. You are acting like the very pastors you castigate.
It makes you assume to be infallible or to have all the revelation. I think we should realise people have dfferent revelations and acting like we know all makes us like we are not willing to learn (especially when faced with some aspects of the word they have dwelt on). I myself could be guilty of what I am telling you too. So this is not just directed at you but for us all to draw inferences from.
Cheers.

The problem is not whether people should tithe or not. The real issue is that preachers who claimed to preach the truth about God's word descending so low to twist God's word the justify monetary tithing from income and preaching it as mandatory/compulsory for christians. Whereas no such thing exists in the bible when studied in proper context. Snowwy the real issue is that men that are supposed to be of high integrity and character are fraudulently twisting the word of God for money. If preachers can come out and preach the truth about tithes stating that it is not mandatory for christians but they could do so on an optional basis, a lot of us would not be up in arms against them. What we are fighting is institutionalised fraud in the church and not the act of tithing per se.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Snowwy: 2:51pm On Apr 06, 2012
@goshen, it is great to see ones mistakes and be willing to correct it or apologise...something many shy away from.
May we avail ourselves of the grace God has given us in Christ.

On tithing we did not conclude because you were ready to start from the NT scriptures of which I found strange since my bible starts from the OT scriptures. I decided not even bother when you further said you did not even believe in giving offering in church.
If as you said then that we should drop all prejudices or any foreknowledge we had of athe bible, why start from the NT. The bible is a complete book hence we are to start from the very begining to do justice.
You have already started a bible study thread which should avail everyone the opportunity to make inputs, that should suffice, I guess.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by nduchucks: 2:56pm On Apr 06, 2012
goshen360: @ Snowwy,

First, I will say you are the second person that will correct my statement of telling people they are not bible students are the likes. I thank you for that, I have since the first person said it taken a caution and ask the Lord to take it out of me, however, it's also something I should deal with myself. In other words, the fact that I know doesn't make mean I should castigate others who don't know but teach them. I agree with you bro, by the spirit of God. Thank you.

Meeennn, why are you looking for my trouble again? I've told you to incorporate common sense in your utterances, but it appears you are not yet sober. Imagine your statement above where you purport to be asking God to take a bad behavior out of you - how convenient. Common sense would suggest that you take responsibility for your bad habits and understand that you alone will have to change it yourself. No holy or ven evil spirit will do that for you.

Secondly you are so full of yourself with the statement that "I know doesn't make mean I should castigate others who don't know but teach them." Please note that a good definition for a fool is a man, "who does not know, and does not know that he does not know, and as a matter of fact, thinks that he knows enough to teach others, when he himself is in the dark. SMH
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Snowwy: 3:02pm On Apr 06, 2012
Pastor Kun:

The problem is not whether people should tithe or not. The real issue is that preachers who claimed to preach the truth about God's word descending so low to twist God's word the justify monetary tithing from income and preaching it as mandatory/compulsory for christians. Whereas no such thing exists in the bible when studied in proper context. Snowwy the real issue is that men that are supposed to be of high integrity and character are fraudulently twisting the word of God for money. If preachers can come out and preach the truth about tithes stating that it is not mandatory for christians but they could do so on an optional basis, a lot of us would not be up in arms against them. What we are fighting is institutionalised fraud in the church and not the act of tithing per se.

@Pastor Kun, your saying that you are not against the act of tithing per se is one of the most amazing things coming from you. I have engaged you time without number on this.
Even when someone comes to explain that the tithe has been something revealed to him, you still castigate calling them names and all. You have never encouraged anyone to tithe if that is his belief based on the scripture.

You are against the act of tithing in the very word and all your posts on NL show it. You just hide behind the fact that some men of God make it a do or die affair. However this is no justification to say tithing is not biblical.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by PastorKun(m): 3:14pm On Apr 06, 2012
Snowwy:

@Pastor Kun, your saying that you are not against the act of tithing per se is one of the most amazing things coming from you. I have engaged you time without number on this.
Even when someone comes to explain that the tithe has been something revealed to him, you still castigate calling them names and all. You have never encouraged anyone to tithe if that is his belief based on the scripture.

You are against the act of tithing in the very word and all your posts on NL show it. You just hide behind the fact that some men of God make it a do or die affair. However this is no justification to say tithing is not biblical.

Bros are you in my mind to be able to know my exact position on tithing? I have always made it clear that my grouse against the subject matter is that it is preached today via fraudlently manipulating scriptures to justify it as compulsory for christians. I repeat what I am against is the twisting of God's word by so called christian preachers. If they preach the truth and only encourage believers to do it on a voluntary basis with the caveat that monies collected would be judiciously used as christ would want, then I won't have any problem with it. But you know as well as I do that tithing as it is preached and practised today is unscriptural, it is a pure fraud and you are not honest enough to admit it.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Snowwy: 3:37pm On Apr 06, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Bros are you in my mind to be able to know my exact position on tithing? I have always made it clear that my grouse against the subject matter is that it is preached today via fraudlently manipulating scriptures to justify it as compulsory for christians. I repeat what I am against is the twisting of God's word by so called christian preachers. If they preach the truth and only encourage believers to do it on a voluntary basis with the caveat that monies collected would be judiciously used as christ would want, then I won't have any problem with it. But you know as well as I do that tithing as it is preached and practised today is unscriptural, it is a pure fraud and you are not honest enough to admit it.

Pastro Kun, you are the one that gave your interpretation of Hebrews 7:18 as abolishing tithe even when it is clearly talking about priesthood change.
I have posted on a thread all the comments from different threads where you said tithing is a scam so I don't have to be in your mind to know what you have posted all over NL.
Have you ever encourage anyone to give tithe on a voluntary basis?
Youi have just said it again that the tithe preached and PRACTISED today is pure fraud...need I say more on what is in your mind?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 3:39pm On Apr 06, 2012
Snowwy: @goshen, it is great to see ones mistakes and be willing to correct it or apologise...something many shy away from.
May we avail ourselves of the grace God has given us in Christ.

[s]On tithing we did not conclude because you were ready to start from the NT scriptures of which I found strange since my bible starts from the OT scriptures. I decided not even bother when you further said you did not even believe in giving offering in church. [/s]
If as you said then that we should drop all prejudices or any foreknowledge we had of athe bible, why start from the NT. The bible is a complete book hence we are to start from the very begining to do justice.
You have already started a bible study thread which should avail everyone the opportunity to make inputs, that should suffice, I guess.

Thank you my dear brother. One of the things I have given you credit for since meeting you on the religious session. I stroked the above because I "think" you assume so. I didn't mean we should start from from NT. Never will I say that and if i had said it, may have said it in error. I don't mean so say that sir. Having clarified that, can we look at this subject critically and deeply sir? Here or create another thread, which do you prefer? I will wait for your response.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 3:54pm On Apr 06, 2012
ndu_chucks:
Meeennn, why are you looking for my trouble again? I've told you to incorporate common sense in your utterances, but it appears you are not yet sober. Imagine your statement above where you purport to be asking God to take a bad behavior out of you - how convenient. Common sense would suggest that you take responsibility for your bad habits and understand that you alone will have to change it yourself. No holy or ven evil spirit will do that for you.

First, I have henceforth taken caution how i talk since my other christian brothers had shown me my lope holes and am willing to make changes. I will take it from you that you are beginning to attack my person instead of treating issues. I "think" it's because you don't agree with me on issue of tithing so you have taken it personal to attack my words. Now, let me point it to you clearly that you have taken my words out of context as i acknowledged God can help me even as i acknowledged to take responsibility for my wrongs, look at it here highlighted and bolded, you seems not to see that but attacking my person. It's no beef sir. Let's treat issues. Correct me, if I err and I will heed.

goshen360: @ Snowwy,

Can you see my statement in RED. It's no beef. It's treat issues not my person. I have taken correction from my fellow christian brothers and i thank you also. Now let's treat issues sir.

ndu_chucks:
Secondly you are so full of yourself with the statement that "I know doesn't make mean I should castigate others who don't know but teach them." Please note that a good definition for a fool is a man, "who does not know, and does not know that he does not know, and as a matter of fact, thinks that he knows enough to teach others, when he himself is in the dark. SMH

Ok. This second point you also raised is what Snoowwy and one brother corrected me. I have taken correction on telling others they are not a bible student, castigating them, telling them to sit down and i teach them. No beef sir. That is taken care off. I acknowledged am wrong using those words and it is already dealt with sir. Thank you sir.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Snowwy: 4:07pm On Apr 06, 2012
@goshen,
This topic has been looked at critically and deeply already. The issue is those aginst tithe will not let it be or see the interpretation as against theirs.
I have asked you some questions up there regarding Heb 7, I Cor. 9 and even the much disputes Matt 23:23.

They are all new testament...answering these will help us know your stand on tithe.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 4:09pm On Apr 06, 2012
@ Snowwy and Pastor Kun,

I "think" there is a misconception somewhere in between both of your/our statement or views. What Pastor kun is saying is, when he said we are not attacking tithe per say, if i understand him from all of his post, comments and thread is that, tithe is biblical but not as it preached today. If it has to be true biblical tithing, then it has to be how it is commanded in the law. When we say we want to stick to the law and break one of it, then it means all is broken. We take it (law) all or none. We can't take some and leave some.

Now, tithe as commanded by God is: agricultural produces and animals and not monthly as being preached today. Not everybody does farming today. God also made room that if it has to be converted to money, then certain percentage must be added to it and that doesn't make it 10% anymore. It will therefore mean that even those that preach tithe don't make tithe biblical since they are asking it in money as against the items of biblical tithing.

This is what I "think" Pastor Kun is saying except he wants to speak for himself aside my observation.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Snowwy: 5:06pm On Apr 06, 2012
@goshen,
A lot of the legailty in looking at tithe can be removed in the very scriptures I asked of you.
Why don't you give your opinion on those scriptures first before trying to speak for Pastor Kun? Then we will move on from there...I think that will be better.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by PastorKun(m): 5:22pm On Apr 06, 2012
@snowwy
That you know even though you deliberately refuse that tithing preached today is contrary to the biblical one speaks volumes of the quality of your character. That aside on what basis am I supposed to encourage people to tithe if I am not against tithing? Is the the biblical version I should encourage or the fraudulently derived, greed motivated man made version being brandished today? Is it not better I encourage people to do what Jesus taught rather than your false tithe doctrines? I would rather encourage brethen to love their fellow men and give to those in need rather than join the band wagon of those preaching tithe(voluntary or compulsory) which is totally irrelevant to the gospel of our Lord Jesus christ and is not even required of christians.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Snowwy: 5:31pm On Apr 06, 2012
Pastor Kun:

If they preach the truth and only encourage believers to do it on a voluntary basis with the caveat that monies collected would be judiciously used as christ would want, then I won't have any problem with it.
[quote author=Pastor Kun]

Besides @goshen, the above posted by Pastor Kun proves he is not against money as tithe therefore I do not see this as the issue he is raising. He 'talks from both sides of his mouth' is my issue with him and is not consistent.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 5:31pm On Apr 06, 2012
Snowwy: @goshen,
This topic has been looked at critically and deeply already. The issue is those aginst tithe will not let it be or see the interpretation as against theirs.
I have asked you some questions up there regarding Heb 7, I Cor. 9 and even the much disputes Matt 23:23.

They are all new testament...answering these will help us know your stand on tithe.

Two things you have asked here. I will answer the later part and we will discuss the former together. How about that? or maybe I explain how I understand Heb 7, 1 Cor 9, and Matt 23:23 so we can then have fellowship together.

This is my stand on NT tithe and Giving. There are things principles that are established in the OT and brought also into the NT BUT CHANGED. One of it is tithing. In the OT, tithing is assigned a CERTAIN PERCENTAGE,10. It is a way of giving if you look at it. The change in the NT is that, the percentage is REMOVED.

So, when the word "tithe" is used along side with giving, it makes our giving not spirit led and acting according to the law. I hope my point is clear here. It is either we follow tithe as stated in the law, which are mainly agricultural produces and animals or we take GIVING, which is not agricultural produce/animals but in terms of anything which includes money.

My point and stand is this, All giving in the NT is based on Free will and Sacrificial that should be done cheerfully, not compulsion and done generously BUT NOT BASED ON THE LAW OF CERTAIN PERCENTAGE. I also believe, our giving as seen in the NT should go to poor, our Christian brethren in need/in the body of Christ, to the support of faithful ministry and to the orphans/widows. This is my stand as regards tithing and giving.

On the subject of Heb 7, 1 Cor 9 and Matt 23:23. I will like us to look at it together as no scriptures is of private interpretation or do you want me to explain my view about those chapters and we look at it together.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Snowwy: 5:34pm On Apr 06, 2012
@goshen, Pastor Kun just confirmed it...in one case he is not against tithe per se, and will have no issues if it is used judiciously then he says it is fraudulent.
That is why getting into conversations with him is a waste of time.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 5:39pm On Apr 06, 2012
Ok @ Pastor Kun,

Kindly state your stand as regards tithes and Giving as I have done. Your words are also putting me into confusion too. I have stated my stand from the light of the scriptures against tithe. I will appreciate if you do us honour here and state your stand in a very clear terms as it will help out studies here.

@ Snowwy,

I will also want you to clearly state your stand as regards tithing and giving. It will also help our discussion.

Thank you.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by PastorKun(m): 5:44pm On Apr 06, 2012
Snowwy: @goshen, Pastor Kun just confirmed it...in one case he is not against tithe per se, and will have no issues if it is used judiciously then he says it is fraudulent.
That is why getting into conversations with him is a waste of time.

Bros it is not my fault if you are not capable of comprehending my simple position. As I have repeatedly said my grouse with tithe is the fraudulent way it is preached in church today as compulsary for christians. If that fraudulent aspect is removed and preachers make it clear to brethen that it is not a christian requirement even though they would still like believers to set aside what ever percentage they like (whether 10% or not) to give to support the church, I would not have an issue with it. If you like call it tithe or offerings it doesn't matter, just don't twist God's word chikena.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by PastorKun(m): 5:48pm On Apr 06, 2012
@snowwy
We both know that it is a very grievous sin to twist the word of God. So how come as a professing christian you feel comfortable with the word of God being twisted as far as tithes is concerned? As we all know biblical tithe bares very little resemblance to the fraudulent version being preached today.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 6:02pm On Apr 06, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Bros it is not my fault if you are not capable of comprehending my simple position. As I have repeatedly said my grouse with tithe is the fraudulent way it is preached in church today as compulsary for christians. If that fraudulent aspect is removed and preachers make it clear to brethen that it is not a christian requirement even though they would still like believers to set aside what ever percentage they like (whether 10% or not) to give to support the church, I would not have an issue with it. If you like call it tithe or offerings it doesn't matter, just don't twist God's word chikena.

Pastor Kun: @snowwy
We both know that it is a very grievous sin to twist the word of God. So how come as a professing christian you feel comfortable with the word of God being twisted as far as tithes is concerned? As we all know biblical tithe bares very little resemblance to the fraudulent version being preached today.

@ Pastor Kun,

If i get your point or stand right. They are highlighted above in RED and GREEN. To extract your main point. You are saying:

1. Because it is made "compulsory" to Christians and that makes it unbiblical - Good point
2. You are saying, If the aspect of "compulsory" is taken out, to make it Christian free will, even though it is any percentage, then it is Okay - Good point and this also still make it free will giving.
3. You are saying biblical tithe bares little resemblance to the version of today. Meaning, if you have to tithe as required biblical tithing, it has to be mainly crops and animals; if you have to give it as money conversion, then it has another 20% must be added to it or you pay tithe from crops and animals on 10% basis.

Can you confirm my extraction sir?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Snowwy: 6:27pm On Apr 06, 2012
goshen360:

Two things you have asked here. I will answer the later part and we will discuss the former together. How about that? or maybe I explain how I understand Heb 7, 1 Cor 9, and Matt 23:23 so we can then have fellowship together.

This is my stand on NT tithe and Giving. There are things principles that are established in the OT and brought also into the NT BUT CHANGED. One of it is tithing. In the OT, tithing is assigned a CERTAIN PERCENTAGE,10. It is a way of giving if you look at it. The change in the NT is that, the percentage is REMOVED.

So, when the word "tithe" is used along side with giving, it makes our giving not spirit led and acting according to the law. I hope my point is clear here. It is either we follow tithe as stated in the law, which are mainly agricultural produces and animals or we take GIVING, which is not agricultural produce/animals but in terms of anything which includes money.

My point and stand is this, All giving in the NT is based on Free will and Sacrificial that should be done cheerfully, not compulsion and done generously BUT NOT BASED ON THE LAW OF CERTAIN PERCENTAGE. I also believe, our giving as seen in the NT should go to poor, our Christian brethren in need/in the body of Christ, to the support of faithful ministry and to the orphans/widows. This is my stand as regards tithing and giving.

On the subject of Heb 7, 1 Cor 9 and Matt 23:23. I will like us to look at it together as no scriptures is of private interpretation or do you want me to explain my view about those chapters and we look at it together.

@goshen, I would be careful the way I say things concerning the removal of this or that. Where was the percentage of tithe removed?
Tithe is a tenth plain as possible.
Tithe was given to the Priest by Abraham, and the israelites also gave tithes to the Levites for their work in the temple.
Same way Jesus commanded that those who preach the gospel should live of the gospel I Cor.9:13-14.
The labourer is worthy of his reward.

In the NT we see giving as a command as well. In the Measure you give you will receive...Give AS the Lord has prospered you.
It even says God is not mocked.

Giving is to family, the needy/poor, the work of God and those of the household of faith (especially those who labour well). All this is giving.

None should suffer. These were also done in the Old testament...they gave a lot haven't you noticed.

That is why I am surprised that someone says that giving a tenth is wrong even with giving offering, helping the needy and the poor, family (yet claims to give more).
And even claiming it has been abolished...the word of God cannot be twisted, the interpretation of that word is what seemes twisted especially when reading it with the veil of the law.

Therefore Goshen, kindly explain those scriptures based on your interpretation.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by PastorKun(m): 6:57pm On Apr 06, 2012
goshen360:

@ Pastor Kun,

If i get your point or stand right. They are highlighted above in RED and GREEN. To extract your main point. You are saying:

1. Because it is made "compulsory" to Christians and that makes it unbiblical - Good point
2. You are saying, If the aspect of "compulsory" is taken out, to make it Christian free will, even though it is any percentage, then it is Okay - Good point and this also still make it free will giving.
3. You are saying biblical tithe bares little resemblance to the version of today. Meaning, if you have to tithe as required biblical tithing, it has to be mainly crops and animals; if you have to give it as money conversion, then it has another 20% must be added to it or you pay tithe from crops and animals on 10% basis.

Can you confirm my extraction sir?

A fairly good summary but in addition to that bibical tithe was a yearly event not monthly or weekly and it was not the exclusive preserve of the levites as some fraudsters insist today.tithers can eat of their tithe or give to the less priviledge. But all said and done tithing is not relevant to christianity neither is it a part of the gospel. If preachers want believers to draw an example from the biblical tithing practise they must reveal all the facts to believers and also make it clear it is not a christian requirement anything short of this is pure fraud.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 7:35pm On Apr 06, 2012
Snowwy:
@goshen, I would be careful the way I say things concerning the removal of this or that. Where was the percentage of tithe removed?
Tithe is a tenth plain as possible.
Tithe was given to the Priest by Abraham, and the israelites also gave tithes to the Levites for their work in the temple. Same way Jesus commanded that those who preach the gospel should live of the gospel I Cor.9:13-14.
The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Let me start with your definition. One of the things I was taught in the bible school in interpretation of the bible is context and using the scripture to explain scriptures. This is what i will like to do here to teach my understand. Okay.

Tithe is tenth. It means if one has 100 items split into ten parts and bring one part of it right? It is still same thing as saying 10 percentage of a given number of item. We both understand the meaning of tithe and that is not an issue.

Abraham gave tithe to priest Melchizedek. Okay. You and I don't disagree on that but let's consider CONTEXT. Abraham gave tithe to Priest. Which Priest, Melchizedek.

Now let's go back to the story. Gen 14:17 - 24.

Extract from the above verses.

Abraham went to war and had victory.
He met king of Sodom
He met king of Salem who was also a priest, Melchizedek
Abraham gave tenth of the Spoils to Melchizedek
Abraham gave the rest 90% to king of Sodom
Abraham kept nothing except what his servants had eaten

First and in contracts to what tithe preachers teach today. We should tithe from our income. Here we see the items of tithes Abraham did not from his income. Now, let's some little bit of justice here. If someone goes to war and conquer some stuffs, it means those properties becomes his, right. Am sure you agree with me the answer is YES. Now let's use same "common sense" here which is not permitted anyway, but let's allow it. Abraham gave tithe from spoil, not his income but assumed to be his properties after victory so he gave tenth to the King and Priest, Melchizedek AND ALSO GAVE THE 90% TO KING OF SODOM. We will therefore do justify to interpret this context that, assuming it's our income (because the spoils had become Abraham's properties) then we also FOLLOW THE EXAMPLE OF GIVING AWAY THE 90% AND DON'T KEEP ANYTHING.

We do not have record of God commanding Abraham to do this but let's still "assume" God told Abraham to give the tithe, then we should also come to assume or conclude that same God will say give the 90% and if we interpret this, it will mean the people that stick to tithe (10%) should also give away the remaining (90%) without keeping anything.

Second, you said the israelites also gave tithes to the Levites for their work in the temple. Same way Jesus commanded that those who preach the gospel should live of the gospel I Cor.9:13-14. The labourer is worthy of his reward.

You know what? This is where you are RIGHT. And am gonna tell you why. The purpose of the tithe in OT is to CARE FOR THE LEVITES AND THE PRIESTS. Why? Simply because they don't have INHERITANCE AMONG THE PEOPLE. Numbers 18:20-21. Now the levites and priests who MINISTER IN THE TEMPLE ARE ENTITLED TO THE TITHE. This purpose is for PEOPLE NOT FOR THE TEMPLE. Let me show you how that applies today. Today, we the people are the temple and not the building. This is exactly what Apostle Paul brought into the Context of 1 Cor 9:13-14. The purpose of taking care of the people (minister) who minister in the temple HOWEVER THE PERCENTAGE WAS NOT APPLIED TO IT IN THE NT as Paul spoke and I will also tell you why, because the principle changed from the early Christians when giving becomes free will and sacrificial, starting with Acts 4:32.

Let us treat this aspect first before I go further to explain those verses you wanted me to explain, else we will mix stuffs together. Let me see where you have a different view from what I said above.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Goshen360(m): 7:48pm On Apr 06, 2012
@ Pastor Kun,

You point are fully comprehended now and extracted below as update:

4. Tithe was a yearly event not monthly or weekly . And in some case, tithing is on third year. (mine included)
5. Tithing was not the exclusive preserve of the levites as some tithe teachers insist today, tithers can eat of their tithe or give to the less priviledge.
6. Tithing is not relevant to christianity neither is it a part of the gospel.
7. Preachers must reveal all the ABOVE (Point 1-6) facts to believers and also make it clear it is not a christian requirement.

Updated sir and serves as guideline for this discourse.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by PastorKun(m): 7:49pm On Apr 06, 2012
Pastor Kun: @snowwy

Bros I am still waiting for you to address this post in view of the unblibical version of tithes you guys preach today.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by PastorKun(m): 7:52pm On Apr 06, 2012
goshen360: Ok @ Pastor Kun,

Kindly state your stand as regards tithes and Giving as I have done. Your words are also putting me into confusion too. I have stated my stand from the light of the scriptures against tithe. I will appreciate if you do us honour here and state your stand in a very clear terms as it will help out studies here.

@goshen
I must have missed this post earlier, I hope my subsequent post as put things in clear perspective.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

"I Fasted 29 Days With Muslims " -Christian Nigerian Lady Reveals. Photos/ Video / Working Wives Should Submit Salaries To Their Husbands - Pastor. Nigerians React / 2018 Full Prophetic prophecies and prayer point needed By GO MFM Dr D.K OLUKOYA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.