Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,417 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians (51301 Views)

Preparation Of Delicious Irresistable Moi Moi For Events / Lagos Traffic And Snack That Get Consumed!!! / Which Is The Most Consumed Foods In Nigeria: Garri, Bread Or Rice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by Iffffffy(f): 1:32pm On Dec 12, 2014
Number 1 and 4 is a no no
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by Truckpusher(m): 1:32pm On Dec 12, 2014
youmour:
If I fit eat pussssy why I no go fit eat all this ones lipsrsealed
Badt guy. cheesy
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by Markaveli247: 1:33pm On Dec 12, 2014
Fish don finish for river or meat for bush...? If Apostle Paul ate Locust in some BCs ago does that mean I have to do the same in this
21st Century?
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by pansophist(m): 1:35pm On Dec 12, 2014
dre11:
You mean say people they chop this

This is what I called POVERTY

Same way people eat chicken. Will you call that poverty too?
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by Deapexboy(m): 1:37pm On Dec 12, 2014
#TeamNO-2#
shyb na whiteman dey eat frog??
sum pple can pretend eh................

GOOD OLD DAYS

home sweet home
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by dre11(m): 1:38pm On Dec 12, 2014
pansophist:

Same way people eat chicken. Will you call that poverty too?

Chicken is different because it's universally accepted
But.. .... Am just seeing that for the first time
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by tohshine(m): 1:38pm On Dec 12, 2014
Nobody eat those in France
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by ROZZAYY(f): 1:39pm On Dec 12, 2014
Well, well, well, interesting but I still prefer cockroaches, lizards and rats to dese, dey taste much bera.
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by pansophist(m): 1:40pm On Dec 12, 2014
dre11:

Chicken is different because it's universally accepted
But.. .... Am just seeing that for the first time

I've eating those insects before. Does it mean I'm poor? Some people don't eat chicken too, does it mean they are too poor to buy chicken ?

Lol
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by ROZZAYY(f): 1:40pm On Dec 12, 2014
Truckpusher:
Badt guy. cheesy
Na only dat kind comment u dey see.
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by Beesluv: 1:40pm On Dec 12, 2014
We call number 3 CHINGE or CHINGELE in my secondary school. Very delicious.

Remember how we either sneak to the school kitchen to fry it or use stainless plate on candle or coal iron in the hostel. Gone are those days grin

Boarding school is da bomb
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by athorello(m): 1:44pm On Dec 12, 2014
I've eaten palm weavil larvae, winged termit and cricket. What you guys don't know is that the palm weavil larvae costs more than suya. I remember hunting for it and fetching palm fruits from young palm trees in the bush, as a kid. A cousin lost a finger in the process. It is also found in palm wine trees. I've eaten the fully winged insect. They are mostly sold along the road from sapele down, as you are travelling to the ND region. Taste it and tell me if it's delicious or not.
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by Beesluv: 1:44pm On Dec 12, 2014
prosperup:
Is this as a result of poverty or what. They will not belle full people.

Ice cream doesn't belle full people, but people still lick it

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by manlawal(m): 1:48pm On Dec 12, 2014
we even eat cochroach in china.
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by Lanceslot(m): 1:50pm On Dec 12, 2014
Okijajuju1:
I love the palm weevil larvae and the winged termite..

The yam beetle I have never tasted and the locust is a definite No.
The yam beetle is called "ebe/ebe na eri ji" in igbo, we use to roast and eat it years ago, its very delicious.
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by Ninapha(f): 1:53pm On Dec 12, 2014
1- Ebe ji
2- Eruru ngwo
3- Aku
4- ukpara, nbuzu na ukpara uhurube ma obukwanu ololo na asusu owerre.

All delicious recipes from grand ma in those days.
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by kika23(f): 1:53pm On Dec 12, 2014
100Cents:

Me too..

Only termites..

You're a correct someborry wink wink kiss
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by kika23(f): 1:54pm On Dec 12, 2014
Truckpusher:
The Palm weevil larvae is a better delicacy. tongue cheesy

The look of the thing sef is scary.... In my next life, I'd taste it...
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by TDstarr: 1:54pm On Dec 12, 2014
prosperup:
Is this as a result of poverty or what. They will not belle full people.
go and price the second one, these foods r expensive
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by FlyboyZee: 1:55pm On Dec 12, 2014
The palm weevil larva and pupa are well spread delicacies in İjaw land and majority of the South South and parts of the South West regions.

The larva is usually sunripe yellow to cream in colour. İt has very high in oil content which İ believe are unsaturated fats and very healthy for human consumption. İt is also very rich in proteins and high in fibre. Unlike what is being insinuated here, it is very expensive and is usually bought and consumed by comfortable people and not paupers, in short, it is a luxury. İt can be eaten raw or toasted with salt, spice and pepper. İt is best eaten with dry kpokpo garri (not DBanj's İjebu garri o! lol) or with dry garri. İt is also a palatable dish when combined with bread, yam, plantain, potatoes or Congo Biscuit. İt is very tasty and highly nutritious, tasting like butter without the fats. The oil derived from it can also be used as cooking oil (vegetable oil).

The pupa on the other hand is lighter in colour, almost tending to white. İt is milky in taste and tougher to chew because of its tough white skin, but succulent inside. İt can be eaten raw or toasted with spices, salt and pepper. İt can also be fried or smoke-dried like fish after simmering. İt is mostly eaten with kpokpo garri or garri. İt is very high in fibre and rich in protein. İt is also expensive.

Lest İ forget, they are both referred to as Bayelsa Suya in the South-South.

Like the saying goes, never judge a book by its cover. İ have eaten the palm beetle's larva and pupa. They are commonly sold along the road in Mbiama in Rivers State and Sapele in Delta State all along the East-West Road, they are also commonly sold in motor parks in the Niger Delta. They İ have also eaten crickets and also the flying termites either raw, toasted/roasted, fried or cooked and they all taste very nice and delicious. A trial as they say will convince you (sorry, İ meant get you addicted). LOL...
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by Perelo(m): 1:56pm On Dec 12, 2014
Yea, I vividly remember that pic in num 2, it is mostly found in decayed bushes, den pple will dig nd pick as much as the can, den fry nd consume, fun thou
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 12, 2014
Grasshopper (elete).

Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by Toks2008(m): 1:59pm On Dec 12, 2014
ammyluv2002:
We eat no 2 in my place and it's very delicious

Very vey delicious. My dad of blessed memory buys it a lot.
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by oemmanuel: 1:59pm On Dec 12, 2014
[quote author=dre11 post=28815513]You mean say people they chop this

This is what I called POVERTY [/qu

Poverty? I disagree. The rich also eat it. Its called edible maggot. Ask google its nutritional value.
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by 100Cents: 2:01pm On Dec 12, 2014
kika23:

You're a correct someborry wink wink kiss

Thank you.

Nairaland has not revealed this to you..
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by ammyluv2002(f): 2:02pm On Dec 12, 2014
Toks2008:

Very vey delicious. My dad of blessed memory buys it a lot.
Cool... I only eat them whenever we travel home for xmas. We hunt them in all these palm wine trees
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by valmunich(m): 2:10pm On Dec 12, 2014
Gross undecided
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by AMACRITY(f): 2:12pm On Dec 12, 2014
dre11:

gbaguan!
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by mrbillz(m): 2:14pm On Dec 12, 2014
dre11:

It's not poverty, it's a choice ok
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by mrbillz(m): 2:16pm On Dec 12, 2014
AMACRITY:
gbaguan!
Bae please be easy on the poor boi
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by maafen: 2:22pm On Dec 12, 2014
dre11:

Scientist are in fact looking for ways to grow them in large quantities all year round so as to reduce the need for meat of mammals that cost more environmentally to breed. It is not primarilly poverty.
Re: Pictures Of 'Delicious' Insects Consumed By Nigerians by ilo04(m): 2:22pm On Dec 12, 2014
TheRealMrStan:
[img]http://4.bp..com/-sJY12nCi3OI/TxnJmzsHXuI/AAAAAAAAAlY/UisEtSkcBJ4/s1600/images+%25283%2529.jpg[/img]
Yam Beetle: Consumed mostly in Delta State and environs

[img]http://conjamon.files./2013/11/red_palm_weevil_larva.jpg[/img]
Palm Weevil Larva: Consumed largely in Bayelsa and other regions in Southern Nigeria.

Winged Termites: a delicacy snack in South-Western Nigeria

[img]http://www.nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L2t1LXhsYXJnZS5qcGd8NjYw[/img]
GrassHoppers,Crickets and Locusts: Consumed nationwide
dat no 2 is my favourite, ogongo kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Big Python Caught At Our Backyard In Choba, Port Harcourt (Photos) / Why You Should Always Choose Bananas With Dark Spots Than The Fresh One / How Many Of These Fruits Have You Eaten? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.