Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (85) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (326874 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Yildiz: 10:58pm On Feb 13, 2021
The blog post listed journals that are mostly relevant to theoretical computer science. However recommender systems are generally regarded as data mining / information retrieval.
Admitwithschola:

I will choose someone with 3 quality papers published in the major journals of a field over someone with 23 papers published in the minor journals of that field.

To your question, if your 3 papers are in the best journals in your field or if they are in some very respectable journals in your field, then I imagine you would look competitive wherever you apply.

For example, if your 3 papers are published in some of these journals - https://blog.typeset.io/top-16-international-computer-science-journals-a-template-guide-3b838a7fd902, then I believe you are competitive.

It is not by the volume of your papers. Quality and impact matter.

Nevertheless, I would suggest you to still apply widely for a postdoc, no matter what your current publication record looks like. Anything can happen.

I have seen people with only promising working papers, but working papers nonetheless, get accepted into highly coveted Postdoc programmes

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by worldfezzy(m): 2:37pm On Feb 14, 2021
Hello Dear Senior Colleagues and Mentors,
I am a new PhD student in Mathematics. I need people who I can work with in the area of research. I am into Mathematical modeling, Stochastic calculus and differential equations.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Admitwithschola: 11:11pm On Feb 14, 2021
worldfezzy:
Hello Dear Senior Colleagues and Mentors,
I am a new PhD student in Mathematics. I need people who I can work with in the area of research. I am into Mathematical modeling, Stochastic calculus and differential equations.

What level are you?

Where are you doing your PhD?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by worldfezzy(m): 8:49pm On Feb 15, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by worldfezzy(m): 8:50pm On Feb 15, 2021
Admitwithschola:

What level are you?

Where are you doing your PhD?

2020/2021 Newly Admitted PhD Student, Nigeria University.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Xlyad(m): 3:46am On Feb 16, 2021
Admitwithschola:
I thought this might be of interest to some of you:
Mathematics Training for Economics, Finance and Management PhD Applicants
[b][/b]

As part of our continued contribution to the improvement of human capital in Nigeria, we are offering a 9-month certificate course in mathematics. The purpose of this course is to improve the mathematical background of candidates intending to pursue a PhD in a quantitative social science or business field, but who have not been exposed to the varied mathematical tools used quantitative social science or business at the (advanced) graduate level. The 9-month course will cover proper mathematics courses, including real analysis, linear algebra, differential equations, multivariate calculus, applied functional analysis (mainly optimization) and, for the most gifted and talented, measure theory and topology.

For selected applicants, the cost of attending the course is FREE. For non-selected applicants, unfortunately we do not accept tuition fees for admission to the certificate course. The course is taught online by a distinguished associate professor of mathematics.

For those eager to attend, please email your applications to – info@baumtenpers.com and baumtenpers@gmail.com
Deadline for sending your applications is 24 February 2021. Please including the following in your application packets:
1. Your BSc and MSc transcripts (or BSc for those who don’t have MSc)
2. Letter of intention to participate in the certificate program
3. 2 letters from people who can vouch for your character and ability

This course is most beneficial to those who wish to apply for a PhD in Economics, Finance or Statistics in Canada or the US and want to show that they have taken and excelled in the prerequisite mathematics courses for PhD.

At the end of the program, transcripts will be issued to successful candidates.

Signed
Mgt

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 4:10am On Feb 16, 2021
Admitwithschola:
I thought this might be of interest to some of you:
Mathematics Training for Economics, Finance and Management PhD Applicants

As part of our continued contribution to the improvement of human capital in Nigeria, we are offering a 9-month certificate course in mathematics. The purpose of this course is to improve the mathematical background of candidates intending to pursue a PhD in a quantitative social science or business field, but who have not been exposed to the varied mathematical tools used quantitative social science or business at the (advanced) graduate level. The 9-month course will cover proper mathematics courses, including real analysis, linear algebra, differential equations, multivariate calculus, applied functional analysis (mainly optimization) and, for the most gifted and talented, measure theory and topology.

For selected applicants, the cost of attending the course is FREE. For non-selected applicants, unfortunately we do not accept tuition fees for admission to the certificate course. The course is taught online by a distinguished associate professor of mathematics.

For those eager to attend, please email your applications to – info@baumtenpers.com and baumtenpers@gmail.com
Deadline for sending your applications is 24 February 2021. Please including the following in your application packets:
1. Your BSc and MSc transcripts (or BSc for those who don’t have MSc)
2. Letter of intention to participate in the certificate program
3. 2 letters from people who can vouch for your character and ability

This course is most beneficial to those who wish to apply for a PhD in Economics, Finance or Statistics in Canada or the US and want to show that they have taken and excelled in the prerequisite mathematics courses for PhD.

At the end of the program, transcripts will be issued to successful candidates.

Signed
Mgt
Hmmmm! How will the applicants prove your institution is accredited? When they ask them send the transcript to WES or another body, what will they get? Do you think good schools will accept it? Na waooo. People just wake up to start collecting money from Nigerians anyhow. The kind of things I see and read in this country is abnormal. Just imagine oooo. Here is this one advertising non accredited 9 months program or cert proposed for phd applicants. Very terrible. angry

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Limitbreaker75(f): 2:04pm On Feb 18, 2021
KelvinCoaster:

Check: www.dryinkconsulting.com
Click on 'find out more' on the 'Academic consulting' menu.
You can check if your area(s) of interest is/are captured.

Goodluck to you!

Thank you so much, I deeply appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 5:11pm On Feb 18, 2021
Limitbreaker75:

Thank you so much, I deeply appreciate.
You're welcome but what took you so long?

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Admitwithschola: 6:01pm On Feb 24, 2021

Hmmmm! How will the applicants prove your institution is accredited? When they ask them send the transcript to WES or another body, what will they get? Do you think good schools will accept it? Na waooo. People just wake up to start collecting money from Nigerians anyhow. The kind of things I see and read in this country is abnormal. Just imagine oooo. Here is this one advertising non accredited 9 months program or cert proposed for phd applicants. Very terrible. angry

I can't believe I just read this.

This is unfortunate and an example of the empty people that discourage other people.

What do you know? In any case, you don't deserve a response because you're just a joke.

And by the way, you are not even fit enough to tie the boots of the candidates who attend our unaccredited program. You're not even close. So you had better descend from your high horse because you're definitely a perfect example of the empty barrel makes the most noise.

I can't believe someone wrote the above. Where are the youth of this country going? Where is their thinking cap? Or has the standard gotten this bad that people are no more capable of basic reasoning and conclusion.

So pathetic. I mean, someone wrote this?

Oh my.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Admitwithschola: 6:05pm On Feb 24, 2021
worldfezzy:

2020/2021 Newly Admitted PhD Student, Nigeria University.

I know people in your area, but I don't know your quality (apologies in case you're one of the very few with good quality).

If you can signal your quality by sending your CV to the email addresses above, I could link you to people in your area.

Please note that, to avoid wahala, if you're linked to such people, it would involve you and them alone. Nothing like including a third party's name, except of course that third party worked on projects.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TRS2020: 12:45am On Feb 26, 2021
[quote author=wip7 post=98897267]Just Published (Feb 09): Reduction of chemical oxygen demand from olive mill wastewater

@wip7: Thank you for all that you do Prof.

I have B.Sc and M.Sc in Chemistry. I have some experience in synthesis and characterization of nanoparticles and I am considering pursuing my PhD abroad. I am considering researching on Green synthesis of Iron Nanoparticles for environmental remediation.

Please do you think this is a good research area in 2021? I also have some interest in energy storage devices, though I am more excited with the former.

I look forward to your kind advice. Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 6:19pm On Feb 27, 2021
TRS2020:
@wip7: Thank you for all that you do Prof.

I have B.Sc and M.Sc in Chemistry. I have some experience in the synthesis and characterization of nanoparticles

Well done. This is very good and will be beneficial.

I am considering pursuing my PhD abroad. I am considering researching on Green synthesis of Iron Nanoparticles for environmental remediation.

If your focus is just on iron nanoparticles; you will be restricted and you will find it difficult to find a supervisor.

Rather; you may look into this:

Biosynthesis of transition metal ions or/and rare-earth metal-doped ferrites nanomaterials for environmental and biomedical applications

The above-suggested research is not restricted, it's modern, ongoing, and has various industrial applications. It opens you to do research in various subfields of environmental science like environmental remediation, pollutant monitoring, and detection. Also, opens you to work on biomedical related applications. Another important aspect of the above research is that it does not limit you to iron nanoparticles but to synthesis various ferrites to use for various applications and also dope each ferrite to expand their performances. Very few works are on doping ferrites with rare-earth metal; these types of materials have not only bioenvironmental usage but highly valuable for energy shielding and explosives detections.

Please do you think this is a good research area in 2021? I also have some interest in energy storage devices, though I am more excited with the former.
I look forward to your kind advice. Thank you.

Best wishes!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TRS2020: 12:49am On Feb 28, 2021
wip7:

Well done. This is very good and will be beneficial.

If your focus is just on iron nanoparticles; you will be restricted and you will find it difficult to find a supervisor.

Rather; you may look into this:

Biosynthesis of transition metal ions or/and rare-earth metal-doped ferrites nanomaterials for environmental and biomedical applications

The above-suggested research is not restricted, it's modern, ongoing, and has various industrial applications. It opens you to do research in various subfields of environmental science like environmental remediation, pollutant monitoring, and detection. Also, opens you to work on biomedical related applications. Another important aspect of the above research is that it does not limit you to iron nanoparticles but to synthesis various ferrites to use for various applications and also dope each ferrite to expand their performances. Very few works are on doping ferrites with rare-earth metal; these types of materials have not only bioenvironmental usage but highly valuable for energy shielding and explosives detections.

Best wishes!

Thank you prof for this insightful advice. I am really grateful. I will do research on this expanded scope to be able to come up with a good proposal.

4 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by speakout2015: 6:51pm On Mar 02, 2021
Call for Applications - Government of Mauritius Scholarship scheme for African Students (undergraduate, Masters, PhD studies) | Deadline - May 14, 2021

https://education.govmu.org/Pages/Mauritius-Africa-Scholarships-2020.aspx

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:20am On Mar 08, 2021
Happy women’s Day

A woman in any form shall be celebrated and honored, be it a scholar, school dropout or just any form.

Here’s a big thanks to all the amazing women for their hard work and dedication. Wishing all the female a Happy Women’s Day! ——WIP7

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by gentility16(m): 9:57am On Mar 14, 2021
Good day Prof. Wip7 and other scholars, you all are doing a great job on here, more power to your elbow.
I intend to apply for Ph.D in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology in the US.

Background
B.Sc in Microbiology
I do not have any other research experience asides my B.Sc project work in my final year.

Please do you have any recommendation on emerging/latest research in molecular and genetic disorder.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Abumuslim: 3:37pm On Mar 14, 2021
Hello all, after staying home for five years, I was given admission in a state poly after I converted my UTME to DE. I wasn't able to gain admission with the DE. My question is, can I pay acceptance fee the state uni and do jamb regularization?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by TheLasyBuddha: 10:28am On Mar 15, 2021
Abumuslim:
Hello all, after staying home for five years, I was given admission
in a state poly after I converted my UTME to DE. I wasn't able
to gain admission with the DE. My question is, can I pay acceptance
fee the state uni and do jamb regularization?

Hi there,

This thread was created to discuss doctoral issues, not UTME-related ones. I'd advise you send your enquiry to where it's appropriate.
I'd like to apologise for the exclusion.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 5:44pm On Mar 20, 2021
gentility16:
Good day Prof. Wip7 and other scholars, you all are doing a great job on here, more power to your elbow.
I intend to apply for Ph.D in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology in the US.

Background
B.Sc in Microbiology
I do not have any other research experience asides my B.Sc project work in my final year.

Please do you have any recommendation on emerging/latest research in molecular and genetic disorder.
Thanks
I would like to make some recommendations but your enquiries were directed to wip7 so i'll wait for his comment first.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Realsufi: 6:35pm On Mar 20, 2021
KelvinCoaster:

I would like to make some recommendations but your enquiries were directed to wip7 so i'll wait for his comment first.
The writer welcome recommendation from all of us, you can state your recommendation now while waiting for others

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by TheLasyBuddha: 2:41pm On Mar 21, 2021
Re: Thread For PHD Students by MufasaLion: 3:40pm On Mar 21, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:
Maybe a handful of people who are active on this thread are undergraduates but mine comes with an exception. I'm that kind who has finished a Master's degree (did it with my girlfriend because she couldn't handle two at the same time) and the dissertation got a distinction at the University of Southampton, UK (so proud of that achievement) and we're heading for a PhD while I am just a BSc holder. grin
I just graduated from my department as the best in my graduating class and I haven't been more excited for the opportunities this may bring.
With the chance of being exposed to Master's education and research, I believe mine would be seamless. And with a PhD ahead of my girlfriend and I, I dey wait for my own turn. Na fire.

I sey make I share this little achievement jare.

Congrats man!

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by gentility16(m): 10:19pm On Mar 22, 2021
KelvinCoaster:

Please feel free to make your recommendation

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 6:55am On Mar 23, 2021
gentility16:

Please feel free to make your recommendation
1. Prevalence of Glucose-6-Phosphotase dehydrogenase deficiency causing increased risk of neonatal jaundice and drug induced hemolysis in Nigeria.

2. PCR-RFLP analysis of Sickle cell mutation on selected children under the age of five in Northern Nigeria.

3. Molecular etiology and prevalence of dystrophia myotonica in Southern Nigeria.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by gentility16(m): 4:54pm On Mar 23, 2021
KelvinCoaster:

1. Prevalence of Glucose-6-Phosphotase dehydrogenase deficiency causing increased risk of neonatal jaundice and drug induced hemolysis in Nigeria.

2. PCR-RFLP analysis of Sickle cell mutation on selected children under the age of five in Northern Nigeria.

3. Molecular etiology and prevalence of dystrophia myotonica in Southern Nigeria.
Thanks for these recommendations, I appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by KelvinCoaster(m): 5:10pm On Mar 23, 2021
gentility16:

Thanks for these recommendations, I appreciate.
You are welcome!

If you don't know a molecular lab. where you can do these analyses,i can link you up!

Goodluck to you.

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.