Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,752 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:37 PM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (230398 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrPresident1: 7:49pm On Mar 12, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
Joseph1013

But being as inquisitive -simply out of genuine interest- as I am I just couldn’t last. The nauseating ignorance masquerading as faith within those circles made me question all the beliefs with its theological history and so I found most of their end-time/rapture beliefs -that sadly cause delusions ala MrPresident1 and annyplenty misinterpreted as prophecies/end-time/apocalyptic visions - and fraudulent teachings are fairly recent in christian history. So, I moved along with history, i.e. If christianity is true, towards Orthodoxy and discovered an almost entirely different doctrine and theology rich in history and tradition that resonates with the New Testament Church and the apostles; but here I am again, questioning everything, wholly embracing scepticism and learning and re-learning. It is honest and beautiful to say “I don’t know” There is nothing wrong with doubt/doubting - funny how these religions equate doubting with the worst of sins.

My brother you are the one who is deluded and ignorant grin

Christ is risen from the dead and become the first fruits of them that slept simply means that you are a zombie until Jesus returns, because awaking from the dead is everyman in his own order.

So, my brother, you are the deluded one, and until Jesus returns, you will continue to be a living breathing eating walking talking android zombie grin. Pray for the return of Christ, otherwise you will remain dead forever cheesy wink
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by TheEminentLaity: 8:55pm On Mar 12, 2017
MrPresident1:

[s]My brother you are the one who is deluded and ignorant grin

Christ is risen from the dead and become the first fruits of them that slept simply means that you are a zombie until Jesus returns, because awaking from the dead is everyman in his own order.

So, my brother, you are the deluded one,[/s] and until Jesus returns, [s]you will continue to be a living breathing eating walking talking android zombie grin. Pray for the return of Christ, otherwise you will remain dead forever[/s] cheesy wink

I thought you prophesied that Jesus Christ was going to return in February Or did he leave you behind when he came? grin grin grin Continue in your bubble when/if eventually you wake up then you'll realise all the time/years you have wasted on living a delusion. This is another post for you to refer to when you wake up until then, have fun.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by MrPresident1: 9:02pm On Mar 12, 2017
TheEminentLaity:

I thought you prophesied that Jesus Christ was going to return in February Or did he leave you behind when he came? grin grin grin Continue in your bubble when/if eventually you wake up then you'll realise all the time/years you have wasted on living a delusion. This is another post for you to refer to when you wake up until then, have fun.

No my brother, it is you who is deluded and needs to wake up grin.

Sorry I am pounding you cheesy, Christ the first fruits has already risen from the dead, everyman will wake up turn by turn.

Fear God and live, my friend wink
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:41am On Mar 13, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
Joseph1013, you apostate, how dare you speak objectively about christianity? The impetus. You have not the Spirit so you can NEVER NEVER NEVER understand the things of God and the bible, NEVER! grin grin grin

But bros this is legendary, without a doubt, the best thread on NL. You have surely been immaculately regenerated with scientific knowledge and history. Amazing how even your writing improved as I read along…My adulations are too voluminous to type. In short, TWALE!! you be Man-wey-Sabi.

I read all 55 pages, very engaging and for the first time on this forum I didn’t want it to end. Indeed this is thought-provoking, full of insight with precise information. You surely make science, reading a lot, and speaking intelligently sexy. You have reignited my curiosity and opened my eyes to see - even as a scientist myself- that the not-so-obvious bubble of religiosity that exists within/around us, even in the minds of liberals, influence and hinder us somewhat from asking the most daring of questions about our existence. From James Randi to Probability to NDERF Man! I loved the probability talk. Amazing stuff. I would only share my thoughts.

Having an infantile christian background, I moved from atheism to 'finding Christ/getting saved’ into pentecostal Christianity. In my christian walk, I gradually turned towards fundamentalism - thanks to my church that was never short of other fundies to encourage me and make me feel comfortable being an arsehole towards 'non-believers’.

But being as inquisitive -simply out of genuine interest- as I am I just couldn’t last. The nauseating ignorance masquerading as faith within those circles made me question all the beliefs with its theological history and so I found most of their end-time/rapture beliefs -that sadly cause delusions ala MrPresident1 and annyplenty misinterpreted as prophecies/end-time/apocalyptic visions - and fraudulent teachings are fairly recent in christian history. So, I moved along with history, i.e. If christianity is true, towards Orthodoxy and discovered an almost entirely different doctrine and theology rich in history and tradition that resonates with the New Testament Church and the apostles; but here I am again, questioning everything, wholly embracing scepticism and learning and re-learning. It is honest and beautiful to say “I don’t know” There is nothing wrong with doubt/doubting - funny how these religions equate doubting with the worst of sins.

However, I still don’t think the Bible or Quran should be completely written off as total BS - at least not yet with my current level of knowledge, I guess you know better - even though it contains some of the most ridiculous stories. I don’t believe the true God of the universe -if any- told Moses/Joshua/Mohammed/Rev King or anybody to go slaughter/sacrifice, commit genocide or/and enslave humans and keep the virgins. God, the one synonymous with ‘god said/spoke/ministered to me’- does NOT speak to anybody. S/He/They have NEVER spoken to anyone. It’s all in our minds, many religious people only choose to justify their desires with god branding.

Religion itself isn’t entirely bad as you may have painted it. However, people need to know the facts, of which you have done quite well here, and be guided by it. As you may well know that the human brain, well capable of hypothetical thinking has limitations that tend towards cognitive heuristic biases towards possible outcomes. It retain aspects of information that writes a suitable story for us and not the entire story. History as well isn’t completely reliable as aptly coined by Napoleon ‘A fable agreed upon’ and it is the victors that write the story; but I agree with you that logic and science is much more reliable.

I don’t think anyone or anything is entirely good or evil and Abrahamic religions in spite of its bloody history has a lot of good - be it Illusory or not - in it. Religion in these parts restrains a lot of people. Think about all the potential domestic violence and almost-homicide cases doused by priests/pastors/imams/spiritual leaders. Going by these, it is safe to say that Africans would become even more barbaric savages without it.

Personally, hesychasm and prayer has made me become a much better person, in compassion and empathy especially in comparison with when I was an angry atheist. I’m sure it is like that for many others in religion. I think if one is a fundamentalist in religion it has to do more about the person than the religion because they most likely would go on to be fundamentalist/‘angry' atheists when they leave. A dishonest person wouldn’t be any less dishonest when s/he leaves religion.

Most people find religion by birth or through decisions during heightened emotional states. Rarely, if any, do people find religion through reason, certainly not the Abrahamic ones. The apologetics sure paint a fine picture for people who do not or have not the time to read these ‘holy' books but nonetheless, the god-of-the-gaps in religion has brought peace, responsibility, purpose and sanity to a good majority. We either see the glass half empty or half full. True religion (James 1:27) isn’t against science, I think it is rather ignorance emboldened by religion that is.

People do not function/behave outside of their reasoning capacities. Hence, if they knew better they simply wouldn’t do the things which you strongly condemn that are not in the least helpful to us as a people. Also, the fact that you know so much through your curiosity and vast reading habits is because you have access (food, money, a home, power, internet, experiences and books) that the majority are being continually denied of in these parts. The people in governments - a typical representation of the people - simply don’t know what education is and it’s value, if they did, they wouldn’t act the way they do.

I would, however, suggest that you see yourself not better than the religious ones but rather privileged to be able to educate, your reading habits could well go for as a pleasant disorder and of course, not many people read ‘boring’ stuff even if they had the same access you do. There is no need for condescension, as typical of many atheists in their disdain for religion. There is a thin line between learning during arguments and not wanting to lose by all means. You wouldn’t have known all these things if you had no teachers in your primary school and was starving for most parts of the day.

As a people, we have been robbed by the colonialists and we can only play catch-up. It will take a long time but little drops, like you have done here will go a long way. This one would certainly be in the archives.

A little addition of note ‘The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom’ is one pleasantly sounding untruth that has gone on for centuries.

Africans, it is rather fear that keeps us bound by toxic religions/oppression/indoctrination and there is absolutely no virtue in fear, none at all.

The acquisition of knowledge is the beginning of wisdom. Knowledge of scientific facts, laws and history that casts out all fear.

In all thy getting, get knowledge. There is no universal truth that would require defenders/apologetics/imperial powers of oppression to defend. Nobody goes about killing anyone that says the sky is purple.

Atheism is a personal journey of honest inquiry about long held beliefs but it does not provide an alternative to human’s religious nature neither does the truth about religion tell us why we are very prone to hold on to comforting superstitions. It is only rational that not many people would leave religion in spite of knowledge of its superstitions.

Throughout history, humans have always looked towards the divine in moments of fear, despair and great sorrow. It is convenient to analyse probability of events occurring hypothetically but in reality no one does that. Everyone including the most hardened of atheists in real moments would wonder and ask god/nature/spirits/whatever why a series of unfortunate events keep happening.

Also, what would a radical atheist tell a grieving mother who just lost all her children and husband in the same week? or what would a father tell his only surviving daughter that is grieved from the loss of her mother and other siblings in a plane crash?That they were all decomposing tissues and victims of unlikely probability? she isn’t going to see/meet them again? Someone said radical atheism is kind of disorder of hyperactivity of the left brain, there are many reasons to lean towards that suggestion.

Don’t stop writing Joseph1013, you are sage.

Thanks for this. Appreciated. Yeah, I eventually caught you when the 'likes' kept coming in droves. I will address a point you raised near the end of your post in the next comment.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:18am On Mar 13, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
Throughout history, humans have always looked towards the divine in moments of fear, despair and great sorrow. It is convenient to analyse probability of events occurring hypothetically but in reality no one does that. Everyone including the most hardened of atheists in real moments would wonder and ask god/nature/spirits/whatever why a series of unfortunate events keep happening.

Also, what would a radical atheist tell a grieving mother who just lost all her children and husband in the same week? or what would a father tell his only surviving daughter that is grieved from the loss of her mother and other siblings in a plane crash?That they were all decomposing tissues and victims of unlikely probability? she isn’t going to see/meet them again? Someone said radical atheism is kind of disorder of hyperactivity of the left brain, there are many reasons to lean towards that suggestion.

This is an interesting point. While it is true that the sun and the rain falls on all men, it is not true that all men yearn for the divine to explain why things are the way they are in their times of troubles.

This reminds me of a story a missionary told about when he went to a remote village in the 1970s to evangelize. He told them about Christ and his sacrifice on the Cross and of how he came to redeem them from their sins. After he finished speaking, the leader stood up and said, "This Jesus you speak about, is he NPC, NCPC or AG? (Those were the political parties in the first republic)"

It goes to show that a man does not know what he does not know. The same reason a Christian will not wonder why Allah is punishing him is the same reason why an atheist not exposed to religion will not wonder why God is abandoning him. It is a Christian that is an ex-muslim that may wonder if Allah is angry, and an Atheist that is an ex-christian that may wonder if Yahweh is punishing him for abandoning him. The kids born in the Scandinavia with no indoctrination of religion will not wonder about divine retribution if they experience bad times.

What would a radical atheist tell people who are grieving? The truth with empathy. In fact, most times, only empathy is needed. We all have been with people who are grieving and all they wanted was a shoulder to cry on. They didn't even want you to say anything. They just wanted to vent out their sadness and cry their hearts out. Scriptures (1 Thess 4:13) say to believers about those who have died, "We don’t want you to grieve like other people who have no hope", but in reality, believers still cry their hearts out as much as unbelievers.

I know to the theist it may seem inexplicable or cold but you have to understand that in certain ways, knowing that death is the end of the journey and accepting it can also be freeing. This is a process that has been repeated 20-30 some billion times by humans in the course of history. I do not have to concern about if me or my loved ones were good enough to get into heaven or bad enough to face hell. I know that I am made of stardust that in turn came from yet other stars and that someday parts of me will be stardust again.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
~ Mark Twain

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by TheEminentLaity: 1:05pm On Mar 13, 2017
Interesting

Let’s assume that humans discard all religions this moment and resolve never to bring them back, I would predict that in the shortest of times, they would invent several other gods and religions as replacement. I also think a similar outcome would be observed irrespective of previous religious/theistic knowledge/history. The gods in religions today are the ones people want to exist and has little to do with actual existence probably why many would continue to reject facts that do not affirm the comforting superstitions they hold.

Another factor I think is the propensity of majority, probably due to religious influences, to blame external circumstances/people/things for individual shortcomings so they invent mythical antagonists to suit that purpose. ‘the devil didn’t want me to succeed but...'

I also think atheistic/non-theistic dispositions about uncertainty very likely has a significant relationship with education or knowledge of methods/techniques towards demystifying uncertainty. It could be likened to behavioural differences between domesticated animals vs primal relatives.

But I still think it’s extremely apathetic to console anyone with the facts in grieving moments. It’s better to be all things to all men at grieving moments to avoid the risk of exacerbating issues and annoying people with facts. grin grin

Anyway, just my thoughts.

What do you think about preternatural phenomena like demonic possessions, exorcisms, haunted houses, ghosts, and the guys from 'The Conjuring’ movie. Did you experience any as a ‘spirit-filled-born-again-christian' and what are your explanations for these?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:45pm On Mar 13, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
Interesting

Let’s assume that humans discard all religions this moment and resolve never to bring them back, I would predict that in the shortest of times, they would invent several other gods and religions as replacement. I also think a similar outcome would be observed irrespective of previous religious/theistic knowledge/history. The gods in religions today are the ones people want to exist and has little to do with actual existence probably why many would continue to reject facts that do not affirm the comforting superstitions they hold.

Another factor I think is the propensity of majority, probably due to religious influences, to blame external circumstances/people/things for individual shortcomings so they invent mythical antagonists to suit that purpose. ‘the devil didn’t want me to succeed but...'

I also think atheistic/non-theistic dispositions about uncertainty very likely has a significant relationship with education or knowledge of methods/techniques towards demystifying uncertainty. It could be likened to behavioural differences between domesticated animals vs primal relatives.

But I still think it’s extremely apathetic to console anyone with the facts in grieving moments. It’s better to be all things to all men at grieving moments to avoid the risk of exacerbating issues and annoying people with facts. grin grin

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Would people cook up new religions if we discard all religions this moment? It depends on which region(s) of the earth you do that. In places where the light of enlightenment have shone, most of them will just move on with life like nothing had happened. For instance, countries like Japan, Vietnam, Denmark and Netherlands where irreligious people are the overwhelming majority will not feel any loss. It is countries in Subsaharan Africa struggling with poverty that will be hard-pressed to come up with new ones.

Japan, the UK, Canada, South Korea, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, France and Uruguay (where the majority of citizens have European roots) are all places where religion was important just a century or so ago, but that now report some of the lowest belief rates in the world. These countries feature strong educational and social security systems, low inequality and are all relatively wealthy.

I have referenced Prof Harari's excellent book, Homo Sapiens, on this thread before and he detailed how humans will weave up imaginary things into reality because that's just who we are. We are creative beings. As it is, science is showing religion to be a facade but new creations are constantly weaved into being that evoke equally strong emotions like nationalism, capitalism, socialism, etc.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:16pm On Mar 13, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
What do you think about preternatural phenomena like demonic possessions, exorcisms, haunted houses, ghosts, and the guys from 'The Conjuring’ movie. Did you experience any as a ‘spirit-filled-born-again-christian' and what are your explanations for these?

It was interesting times. Well, during my time, I did 'perform' miracles. There were times I had felt some sensations and declared to the congregation that there was someone (described the person) and said the Lord had healed him/her of an illness. I would ask that they come forth and lay hands on them. Thereafter, they would come back to say they were healed.

Another example: A woman, let's call her Deborah, who attended my church while I was still a believer. She was bound to a wheelchair for over a year and a half, unable even to stand up. One day as she was listening to inspirational music and praying for God to heal her, she felt a wave of God's presence over her and was then able to stand up and walk about on her own. I am told that anyone who remains bound to a wheelchair for an extended period of time would not subsequently be able to walk without therapy, due to muscle atrophy alone. This provided additional corroboration that God had intervened on her behalf.

There are at least two kinds of false miracle reports: misperceptions and intentional deceptions. I did not know Deborah very well at all, but I know that a lot of trustworthy people in my church consider her trustworthy, so I am disinclined to think she was pulling a deception by sitting in her chair and pretending to be disabled (though it is a possibility that should be kept open). I know too little of her condition to make a call: was she diagnosed? If so, are there any statistics on recovery rates from her condition? Have any physicians evaluated her healing? It is not unfair to ask these questions before coming to the conclusion that it had to be supernatural. After all, a certain percentage of people recover spontaneously from even the most deadly of cancers, on the order of 1 in 100,000.

But what do I think about preternatural phenomena like demonic possessions, exorcisms, haunted houses, ghosts, and the guys from 'The Conjuring’ movie? I approach them with skepticism!

What should be our approach to claims of the preternatural phenomena? It should be the approach of detective and paranormal investigator Joe Nickell, who advocates withholding judgment until being granted the opportunity to investigate the claim.

Nickell never pronounces his judgment on a reported paranormal phenomenon, be it a weeping statue or a haunted house, until he has been given the chance to examine the claim. If he must place a stethoscope on a statue purported to have a heartbeat, that is what he will do. So far, no claim of the paranormal has given him pause, no reason to think a supernatural explanation was required, but he will examine each claim on a case-by-case basis.

Unfortunately, most of the claims we hear in the present day, not to mention those found in the Bible, are not amenable to this sort of controlled investigation. This being the case, we are under no compulsion to accept them as authentic.

8 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:50pm On Mar 16, 2017
THE QUEST FOR MIRACLES...

The weak link in all miracle claims is that they rely on fallible human testimony and cannot be reproduced on demand before a skeptical audience. "But," some say, "God doesn't work like that; he does not provide miracles on tap for those who demand to see a demonstration of his power."

Or, "God no longer routinely performs miracles since the time of the Bible." But to this I say that these are precisely the sorts of excuses one would have to give to salvage a belief in miracles, if in fact they do not occur.

If Elijah was able to call on Yahweh to bring fire down from heaven before his adversaries (taunting the priests of Baal for their failure to do the same), why did no one come forward to skeptic James Randi to perform a bona fide miracle, and claim his one million dollar reward for doing so? Perhaps those who believe in miracles should do as Elijah advised the priests of Baal: "Shout louder! Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened" (1 Kings 18:27).

Let's assume God exists and has the power to perform miracles, an assumption I do not categorically deny, but about which I am very skeptical. If, in addition to these assumptions, we also assume the Bible is true, then God causes an ax head to float in the Old Testament to preserve a prophet's investment, and God causes the Jordan to part so a prophet can cross it on foot without having to use a boat like most mortals, but he doesn't prevent an infant from starving at its mother's dried-up breast in an African drought, nor does he orchestrate the early demise of Hitler to prevent the many millions of deaths of World War II.

Does it not more readily comport with experience that, if God exists, he has purposefully restricted himself from all supernatural intervention in the world, rather than that he sometimes intervenes off and on again in ways that appear so whimsical to us? It seems a mockery to the agony of the mother of Austin (a young mentee) that God would cause an ax head to float but not relieve her suffering as she slowly died of cancer.

If we assume that God as a matter of principle does not intervene in the course of nature, then the arbitrariness vanishes. Of course the question remains, how could he choose to stand by and not intervene?

This is a problem for deism, I grant, and one of the lesser reasons for which I have come to doubt the existence of God.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:32am On Mar 19, 2017
TWO MISTAKES YOU SHOULD NEVER MAKE

Once you accept there is a supernatural realm, you're at risk. At that point nothing is too absurd for you to believe. This is when you risk becoming an apologist for the ridiculous. This descent into the absurd relies upon two thinking mistakes.

The first mistake is to accept there is a supernatural realm, when there is simply no valid reason to believe this is true.

The second mistake is to treat the existence of the supernatural, not as a possibility or a tentative conclusion based on speculative, fallible evidence, but as a self-evident premise that cannot be challenged. Once you have done this, you can build an entire world-view, using this premise as the foundation for further beliefs--such as a belief in gods, magical animals, invisible creatures, deadly curses and events that never happened and could never happen.

That is when you become lost to reason.

But there is a way back and it's simple. The way back is to understand these two foundational mistakes, and to think again.

9 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 19, 2017
joseph1013:
TWO MISTAKES YOU SHOULD NEVER MAKE

Once you accept there is a supernatural realm, you're at risk. At that point nothing is too absurd for you to believe. This is when you risk becoming an apologist for the ridiculous. This descent into the absurd relies upon two thinking mistakes.

The first mistake is to accept there is a supernatural realm, when there is simply no valid reason to believe this is true.

The second mistake is to treat the existence of the supernatural, not as a possibility or a tentative conclusion based on speculative, fallible evidence, but as a self-evident premise that cannot be challenged. Once you have done this, you can build an entire world-view, using this premise as the foundation for further beliefs--such as a belief in gods, magical animals, invisible creatures, deadly curses and events that never happened and could never happen.

That is when you become lost to reason.

But there is a way back and it's simple. The way back is to understand these two foundational mistakes, and to think again.
i doff my cap for you sir ,i love your writings ,best thread ever
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:21pm On Mar 19, 2017
joseph1013 if you have the homon deus pdf,can you please send it to my male like you did the homo sapiens own
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:30am On Mar 20, 2017
stephenmorris:
joseph1013 if you have the homon deus pdf,can you please send it to my male like you did the homo sapiens own

Email
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 7:22am On Mar 20, 2017
joseph1013:

Email
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:42am On Mar 20, 2017
stephenmorris:
xxxx@gmail.com

Sent

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 20, 2017
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 20, 2017
seen
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:32pm On Mar 20, 2017
ANOTHER SUICIDE...SAD CASE

I've been really sad since hearing of Dr Orji Allwell jumping off Third Mainland Bridge yesterday evening. His is the third case I'm learning of in the past one week. Depression is real folks and, by George, I hope we take action and see depression for what it is. It's high time we understood that medical experts are those we have to go through, not religious leaders. How many people see therapists when they experience suicidal thoughts in this country?

Accept it or not, church dominance in Nigeria makes all other meaningful disciplines irrelevant. Someone with clinical depression for example, is less likely to seek recourse in therapy but in the Church. Much worse, the bogus claim of the Church to salve our troubled lives blindly overlooks the human condition as a possible cause, at times overestimating the problem to some needless demonic or satanic-paranormal plight.

This huge chunk of relevance the Church commands “regresses” us as a society; we need therapists, shrinks, child psychologists and other disciplines whose expertise might be brought to bear on a matter, not this monolithic relevance-grab by the church to the depression of all other disciplines.

Church dominance in Nigeria is like heavy reliance on petroleum at the expense of other meaningful sectors.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:20am On Mar 23, 2017
OUR SURREAL SPECIES

Honestly, this is completely surreal to me.

I speak to superficially sane adults and discover they truly believe there is an invisible and undetectable being who loves us and monitors everything we do and think. And when we die he will restore us to life, and decide whether to torture us forever or grant us a life of eternal bliss.

Evidently, the great majority of the humans he loves, will be consigned to the torture option.

I wonder how these people found out these extraordinary things. It seems someone TOLD them these fantastic stories, without offering a shred of evidence, and they just BELIEVED. And many people are CERTAIN the stories are true.

As far as I know, no other animals believe stories like this. Apparently, you have to be a very smart animal to be capable of believing such stupid stories.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:16pm On Mar 23, 2017
THE SENSELESS KILLINGS IN LONDON...

You heard about the London attack that happened yesterday, right? Four people have died, including a police officer. Twelve Britons were injured, including three police officers, two of whom were seriously injured.

Theresa May, said the attacker had been investigated “some years ago” by MI5 in relation to concerns about violent extremism.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack. It released a statement through the Amaq news agency, which it uses to broadcast propaganda, calling the attacker “a soldier of Islamic State”.

Now, people who have an idea of what happened will go ahead to ask people to pray to God for the jihad victims, and I ask: "To which God - the one who inspired the violence or the one who did nothing to stop it?"

When it has to do with religion, people just don't want to think.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:35am On Mar 26, 2017
Ayinde Olatunde Olayinka

Imagine a war with with you on one side and some toddlers on the other side. That was how serious the war between Yahweh and the bad angels he created was. And the toddlers couldn't even be exterminated. They had to be sent into the vegetable garden to wreak havoc!

Again imagine that you're 36 years old. One day your wife announces to you that she is no more in love with you; she is now madly in love with the 2 year old next door. And you begin to throw tantrums, threatening to burn your wife in an everlasting fire. Anyone would have thought that you would roll on the floor and have a good laugh at such hilarious proposition. That is exactly how it is when Yahweh is jealous and angry and throwing tantrums that humans are worshipping other gods.

How did we believe these stories for so long?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:28am On Mar 26, 2017
"There is no such thing as a Christian child, only a child of christian parents. There is no such thing as a muslim child, only a child of muslim parents."
~ Richard Dawkins

7 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:01am On Mar 27, 2017
WHY HAS HUMAN EVOLUTION STOPPED?
by Brian-Gabriel Chiedozie Ndubuisi

This here is not a just question. It's a sleek combination of 1. a claim that human evolution has stopped, and 2. A question - Why has it stopped, if 1 is true?

Claiming that human evolution has stopped is like Arsenal claiming, 5 mins into a game against Barcelona, to have won the game.

Has human evolution stopped? The simplest answer is "we don't know", and my best guess is No.

Attempting this question is frustrating partly because it's almost always asked in a sarcastic "gotcha" tone by people who didn't expect to get an answer, nor are they interested. It doesn't help that other people seem to have exaggerated expectations of evolution.

I'll try to give an answer for those who are interested, that's easy to grasp, especially for those who know the basics.

First, definition. Evolution is change in the HERITABLE* characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.

[*The word "heritable" is important because if a population of white teenagers go on vacation to Egypt, they'll come back a bit darker than they left. But this here isn't evolution, because their kids wouldn't be able to inherit the tan.]

Some scientists believe evolution of humans has stopped. The reason being that humans have managed to overcome natural selection with the help of science & technology. Natural selection is basically survival of the fittest* [*Fit in this sense is used to describe any organism that is best adapted for the environment, not necessarily the strongest.].

Earlier, I had posted a quote by David Frum...

..."Nature wants 5 of your 7 children dead. It wants you dead by 50. Everything better than that is brought to you by science & technology."...

...These figures might seem harsh, but in reality, he was being very conservative. To give you a little context - the life expectancy of people in the developed world today is above 80 years, during the Republican period of Ancient Rome [500-100 BC] it was around 25 - 30 years. So many illnesses were supposed to kill you before you **laid eggs - asphyxia at birth, neonatal jaundice, malaria, assorted viral and bacterial infection epidemics, trauma... In the absence of effective treatments, most of these diseases were a death sentence.

This phenomenon of so many getting **laid, yet so few of them surviving long enough to get laid is the main engine that drives evolution, because it ensures that only a few that were fit* to survive the harsh environmental conditions are opportune to get laid and make more kids who, with luck would inherit their badass genes... But with science and technology man is "...bending the immortal mother of gods..." - he's able to save most of his kids from harsh natural forces, so that he doesn't have to give birth to so many, while nature selects only a few to live. Their argument is that man has effectively killed natural human selection, and has in effect halted his evolution.

But the flaw in this argument is that natural selection is not the only mechanism that drives evolution. There are other mechanisms - like gene drift, for instance. Unlike with natural selection, where nature picks the fittest gene out of the many **laid, genetic drift is due to new genes coming into a population via migration. For instance when blacks started "migrating" into America, a new type of humans started to appear with darker skin than whites yet with softer, straighter, longer hair than native sub-Saharan Africans...

With migration on the rise and the world becoming shrunken by transportation technologies, it's not a stretch to expect that in the not-so-distant future, one wouldn't be able to find one typically Black or Asian or White person, because the whole world would have mixed up way too much.

This too is evolution...

Also with this CRISPR technology on the way, future humans would be able to choose what traits they want in their kids. They'd be able to decide if they want their kids to be taller, 'cuter', smarter... so it's expected that many traits we see today "would be rigidly destroyed" in that future. This is artificial selection as a driving force for evolution.

I understand this might have missed your standards of what evolution should be by a mile. You expected people with wings and other x-Men superhuman powers, but that's not how it works... but who knows... I have learned to remove words like 'never' and 'impossible' from my vocabulary when talking about science.

So back to the initial question -

Scores: Arsenal 0 - 0 Barcelona

Time: 5 mins into first half.

Why has arsenal won?

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:03pm On Mar 28, 2017
WHY I LOVE CREATIONISTS... AND WHY I DON'T

The thing I love about creationists is how hyper-sceptical they are. That's brilliant. My motto is don't take anyone's word for anything important. Demand validated evidence for every such claim--your beliefs are too important to waste on things that are not true.

It's just a pity, after all that excellent scepticism, creationists let themselves down by believing the most incredible fantasy stories without a shred of evidence.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:11pm On Mar 30, 2017
HOW IT HAPPENED, NOT IF IT HAPPENED

We have enough evidence now to be sure species were not put on the Earth in a frenzy of creation. We know life slowly changed and diversified over billions of years.

Discovering this has been like finding the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, often faded, broken pieces but when they fit together we see a beautiful and unmistakable picture.

Our picture still has more gaps than pieces but even now, there is no doubt that our species evolved from similar but not identical species--the only doubt is exactly how it happened; not whether it happened.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:13pm On Mar 31, 2017
TRUE STORY #1
Mrs A: 45 years of age, devout Christian, divorced, no children, lives in Accra, Ghana.

Mrs A was a successful business person. She had started three businesses and had built herself an impressive four bedroom house with its own compound. Things started to go wrong for her when her marriage failed. At the same time one of her businesses ran into serious trouble and the other two were making no progress. An unpleasant family feud developed over the divorce.

Mrs A became convinced that her ex-husband's family had cursed her and that was the source of her troubles. She confided in her pastor who prayed with her but that did not seem to help.

Finally her pastor offered to move into her house with his wife and two children. He assured Mrs A that no curses have the power to overcome him. Mrs A readily agreed and felt grateful that her pastor was so caring.

Over the following six months, the family feud settled down and Mrs A believed this was due to the pastor's presence. But her business problems were getting worse and her bank began to demand repayment of loans. She pleaded with her pastor to help. He advised her that she was stressed because of the number of people in the house and informed her that God had told him she should take a break and stay with her sister.

So she moved in with her sister. Two of her businesses failed. The third survived but never regained its former profitability. That was 15 years ago. Mrs A has just celebrated her 60th birthday. She still lives with her sister. Her pastor still lives in her four-bedroomed house and his children have grown up. He has never paid her any rent.

Source: Stories from across Africa by Mr Flavell

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:42am On Apr 01, 2017
WHAT ARE THE FREAKING ODDS?

Christians and Muslims say God loves them so much that he created them to be the center of this enormous universe. Anytime I hear anyone say that, I cannot but chuckle.

Let me blow you away: There are more stars in space than there are grains of sand on every beach on Earth.

Let that sink in for a moment. Even more remarkably, there may be as much as 5 to 10 times more stars than there are grains of sand on all the world's beaches.

It hurts the brain to imagine, right? Well, let me blow you away a second time: If there are already more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on the beaches, think about how many planets there are. There could be 2x to 10x more planets than stars.

To understand this, remember that our sun is a star and it has 9 or 8 (depending on whom you are listening to) planets orbiting it. So you have stars more than the grains of sand, then you definitely have many times more planets than stars.

So how can you be the center of the universe? What exactly are the odds?

My friend, go and sit down somewhere.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:18pm On Apr 02, 2017
Dear Winners disciples,

"My case is different" is the 2017 Winners’ Personalized Prophetic Declarations by Bishop Oyedepo.

Have you guys' cases been different since 1 January 2017 prophetic?

Have you guys made more money than other hardworking people in the world?

How many fleet of cars have you guys miraculously got?

How many houses have you people built?

I'm in no way doubt the power of your God. I'm waiting anxiously to hearing from you the different cases of you people.

Kind regards.

5 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:21pm On Apr 02, 2017
ON THE JEWISH GOD OF THE BIBLE
by Godswill Vesta Utong

As a recurrent character in most anti-evolution campaigns and pseudoscience like creationism and Intelligent Design, the Jewish God, as portrayed in the Bible, seems to be the most evolved character ever to saddle our consciousness.

Here's a character whose presence could be departed from—hidden from, eventually gaining omnipresence.

A character who is known to have regretted his decisions at some point, eventually gaining omniscience—knowing everything before they even occur.

A character whose caprices can be matched only by his anger, eventually gaining benevolence and is touted as the poster child for love.

A character very much known to exist in and interact with objects in the third dimension—one who was known to walk in gardens and rest after a day's hardwork—suddenly becoming a ubiquitarian and existing outside every known dimension.

And just when you thought you'd figured him all out he gains an alter ego. Two alter egos.

With every advancement in knowledge of the natural, with every receding pocket of ignorance, it seems the Jewish God evolves—gains another super(natural)power—remaining elusive. He started evolving the moment he made his first appearance.

His latest addition to his trophy room of powers—this invisibility one—is particularly impressive. He's practically removed himself from every realm of rational enquiry, existing in, and only stalking the hearts of believers.

He has—and herein lies the problem and his ultimate undoing—amassed so much super(natural)powers that he has practically become too complex to describe and too strenuous to envision.

But he loves you.

You're so sure of it.

You do not know what he sounds like, but you're so sure he speaks to you.

You cannot even begin to describe what his hands look like, but you're so sure you see it in every situation in your life.

What's more impressive than the evolution of his visage is the evolution of his morality. Witnessing the speed with which the Jewish God's morality has evolved in the last 300 years, one can almost swear he dips himself in the blood of his son, washing himself clean of his own 'sins'.

The avowed misogynist is now an avid lover of women.

It was not so long ago that the Jewish God condoned slavery. Now he abhors it. Taaar! Don't even mention slavery near his adherents. "slavery? what's this despicable thing you speak of?"

The xenophobe is now a lover of people from all nations.

Encyclical after encyclical from the seat of the papacy has seen the Jewish God transform in his morality in a bid to be showcased as a global citizen.

And it is interesting to note that the morality of the Jewish God evolves with every hard-won battle for human rights.

I can assure you that it won't be too long before you hear the Jewish God has nothing against homosexuality—in fact he approves of our differences in sexual preferences. I promise you. If you hadn't heard it before, hear me now: your Jewish God will soon welcome homosexuality.

The question then is not if, but when.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by TheEminentLaity: 5:49pm On Apr 02, 2017
This might help https://www.quora.com/Hypothetically-if-there-is-intelligent-alien-life-with-the-knowledge-and-means-to-traverse-space-and-travel-to-Earth-what-would-be-their-reasons-for-not-making-contact-Please-read-details/answer/Yishan-Wong

joseph1013:
WHAT ARE THE FREAKING ODDS?

Christians and Muslims say God loves them so much that he created them to be the center of this enormous universe. Anytime I hear anyone say that, I cannot but chuckle.

Let me blow you away: There are more stars in space than there are grains of sand on every beach on Earth.

Let that sink in for a moment. Even more remarkably, there may be as much as 5 to 10 times more stars than there are grains of sand on all the world's beaches.

It hurts the brain to imagine, right? Well, let me blow you away a second time: If there are already more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on the beaches, think about how many planets there are. There could be 2x to 10x more planets than stars.

To understand this, remember that our sun is a star and it has 9 or 8 (depending on whom you are listening to) planets orbiting it. So you have stars more than the grains of sand, then you definitely have many times more planets than stars.

So how can you be the center of the universe? What exactly are the odds?

My friend, go and sit down somewhere.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:45am On Apr 03, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
This might help https://www.quora.com/Hypothetically-if-there-is-intelligent-alien-life-with-the-knowledge-and-means-to-traverse-space-and-travel-to-Earth-what-would-be-their-reasons-for-not-making-contact-Please-read-details/answer/Yishan-Wong

Damn! This guy is a killer! Shredding people's beliefs without remorse.

"The Earth is a tiny, tiny dust mote with even tinier tinier mites living on it whose physical capabilities have thus far been limited to raising the temperature on the surface of the dust mote by a few degrees. That is the sum total of the physical effect that our entire civilization has had on the real physical universe."

Talk about busting bubbles!

Quora is about my favourite place for my education on the web. Gracias!

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:54pm On Apr 03, 2017
According to NCDC, 328 people out of over 2,500 cases have died from the recent strain of meningitis. I was informed that this strain of the disease was recent to Nigeria and as such, current doses will not cure it. However, 500,000 doses of the vaccine are on the way but can we pause? What if a part of the world did not invest in science and research to produce vaccines? What if they waited for us and they just begun the research? What would we have been done? Give them paracetamol or assume its malaria or typhoid?

Imagine how we have been inflicted with polio but we have not worked hard to produce a vaccine? The world loans us money to buy vaccines. We rely on those who the shoes doesn't pinch to research and improve the vaccines. The same extreme heat causing meningitis can actually be used to produce power to cool the environment. We cannot connect the dots.

The British Empire rose when it found the maxim gun, built an amazing Navy and also led on cotton spinning technology. The US leapt because it cared for science, founding its National Academy for Science since the Abraham Lincoln era of 1860s. Chinese are repatriating intellectual capital and also leading in renewable technology and manufacturing. It is only the skilful use of science and capital, all embedded in their people, that has made nations great.

We have engineers and doctors but basic investment/output in science confounds us. We will rather put money in National Assembly, Prado Jeeps and borrow the rest to build basic infrastructure. We give 4-6% of our annual budget to health and education and we think we are building the future.

Why is everything wrong with our ability to think for the long-term?

Good Morning.

P.S To confound you more, kindly watch "Hidden Figures" and see what US was doing 50 years ago.

Oluseun Onigbinde

8 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.