Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,681 members, 7,955,515 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:03 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (238689 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sheyviruz(m): 7:46pm On Jan 01, 2017
happy new year @op
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:21am On Jan 03, 2017
sheyviruz:
happy new year @op

Same to you, bro.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:29am On Jan 03, 2017
THE SEASON OF FOOLISHNESS

Here are Enoch Adeboye's prophecies for 2017

THE PROPHETIC WORD FOR 2017 IS SURPRISE

NIGERIA
1. 2017 will be a year of surprises both for the oppressed and the oppressor; Those deliberately making life difficult for the common man will be relocated
2. The downward plunge will slow down, stop and reversal will begin

INDIVIDUALS
1. It will be a year of surprises
2. For prophets both true and false it will be a year of surprises
3. There will be quite a large number of weddings
4. Soul winners will see their prophecies fulfilled almost as soon they are uttered

INTERNATIONAL
1. There will be surprises for many world governments
2. They are coming twos: monster earthquakes, monster floods, hurricanes and typhoons, monster tornadoes and monster fire outbreaks

This is the foolishness that we get as prophecy abi? Which of these is objectively measurable, verifiable or falsifiable now? Plain idiocy. This is where the candid advice has to be given for these people to go and find proper jobs.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sheyviruz(m): 1:54pm On Jan 03, 2017
God know the best
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:16pm On Jan 03, 2017
RANDOM VOICES IN THEIR HEADS

One charlatan thinks the recession will end in 2017. The other one thinks it will worsen to a depression. Which data did they base their prediction on? None whatsoever. Just the voices in their heads which millions of Nigerians believe is the voice of the same deity.

It hasn't occurred to these Nigerians yet to ask why the same deity would give two prophets contradictory messages. Of course, it will never occur to them, just like it never occurred to them to ask why there had been two contradictory books, and two groups of religionists that are always at loggerheads, in the first instance.

Let us hope Nigerians will do their religions with some more sense in 2017, and focus on what is important, for once.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sonmvayina(m): 7:29pm On Jan 03, 2017
joseph1013:
I WONDER WHY?

When I read the Noah's Ark story I wonder why religious people wonder why non-religious people wonder why religious people believe such ridiculous stories!

It is a story told to emphasize on the fact that the God that creates is the same God that destroys..
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:31pm On Jan 03, 2017
OLUKOYA's PROPHECIES

See the list of Pastor Olukoya's Prophesies for 2017.....

*40 Prophecies.
1. Don't hate anyone. Is like digging the grave.
2. A year of confuse noises and meaning less storms.
3. There will be heavenly final whistle to those attacking Gods people.
4. A year of fighting between the roads and the road users
5. A year of creditable and fighting battle
6. A year of disagrace of international serpent and scorpions
7. A year of triumph and incredibly victory and seventh means victory.
8. A year of fanatics new beginning fo many people
9. When the dalt will attack on the owner of the salt
10. All those who are involve corruption Will suffered it.
11. A year of givers and uncommon blessing for them that give.
12. This year many foundational problems will expire.
13. A year of divine delivery.
14. A great and intense confrontation between children of God and cildren of darkness but the Children of God shall prevail.
15. A year of great confrontation between immortality and morality.
16. A year of great challenge and also, achievement for those who are ready to fight the good fight of faith.
17. A year of extra victory.
18. A year of redemption for many lands that are in contend.
19. A year of breakthrough for those who are fishers of men.
20. A year heaven will honour prayer targeted to victory.
21. A no noise year monitor by slapping angels.
22. A year were the last laugh.
23. A year a lot of prayers are needed for nations that show no respect for the Bible.
24.A year where those who deeply love the lors will not be nonved by tg poltical things.
25. If you have sow into the things of lord blessings will follow you.
26. A year of angel of blessing.
27. God will beginning to raise powerful young ministers since the Adults have failed God.
28. Serious prayers to avoid unprecedented commotion on the earth, manifestation through earthquake, hurricanes, etc.
29. A year of double Edge vegenance.
30. A year to restructure spiritual revival or persistent.
31. A year where warfare mentality is a prerequisite for Survival.
32. Under obedience Will attract serious heaven consequences.
33. The year of very deep sorrow for the wicked.
34. A year where when many that are mock will rejoice.
35. A year of satanic recruitment to cage young girls teenagers,serious prayers are needed.
36. A year of great awaken and a year of great shaking.
37. A year of showers of blessings that will change story.
38. A year of aggressive sex demonic and pervasiveness.
39. A very bad year for fornication and adultery
40. Very rough year of Jonah Christians.

Ten keys to survive in 2017.
1. Leave a holy life. Without holiness will not see the lord.
2. You must stop unbelieve. Its is snatching
3. Have a goal. Without goal, life becomes dull. Say no to laziness.
4. Be persistent. The ability to take a repeated action to over one's obstacles.
5. Always seek divine directive.
Motto: Is there any word from the lord?
6. Be fill with the holy ghost
7. Disengage your self from unprofitable friends.
8. Be generous towards God
9. Locate your weakness and address dem.
10. Become a prayer and a bible addict

How can you take this man seriously? How exactly?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:32pm On Jan 03, 2017
I fail to understand something: After so many failed prophecies by these pretending clowns, people still look up to them for more.
What is this condition called?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:34pm On Jan 03, 2017
HEAR OYEDEPO

Oyedepo prophecy 2017 basically says give me your money or you will suffer. How is this a good thing....how is this man a good person
-----------------------
Oyedepo said this on Tuesday during the opening session of the annual Shiloh programme of the church in Ota, Ogun State.

His words: “It looks tough presently but it’s going to get tougher in the days to come. Obedience to the terms of covenant will put you in total command (meaning tithes and offering). When all your obedience is fulfilled, all opposition is brought down”

Alluding to the Bible, the respected Bishop said that recession was not a new phenomenon, urging the audience to be committed to God to overcome the financial challenges.

“However, from scriptures, all the children of the covenant, who walk according to biblical truth will always enjoy exemptions from the gross darkness and evils plaguing the world,” he said.
-------------------

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:37pm On Jan 03, 2017
sonmvayina:

It is a story told to emphasize on the fact that the God that creates is the same God that destroys..

So how does this action make Yahweh a good god?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sonmvayina(m): 7:54pm On Jan 03, 2017
joseph1013:

So how does this action make Yahweh a good god?

good, bad, envy, jealousy, etc..are all human attributes, we cannot use such for God...he creates and destroys...we are to use our brain to save ourselves, by thinking of practical ways to do so..

Religion created those stories to control large human populations.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:03pm On Jan 03, 2017
sonmvayina:

good, bad, envy, jealousy, etc..are all human attributes, we cannot use such for God...he creates and destroys...we are to use our brain to save ourselves, by thinking of practical ways to do so..

Religion created those stories to control large human populations.

Please don't take my words for it. Here are verses from the Bible about Yahweh having all these attributes:

God is good:

- "Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever" (Psalm 107:1).

All these proves that Yahweh has human emotions.

- "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him" (Psalm 34:cool.

God is jealous:

- "for you shall not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God" (Exodus 34:14).

- "They made Him jealous with strange gods; With abominations they provoked Him to anger" (Deuteronomy 32:16)
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by sonmvayina(m): 8:01am On Jan 04, 2017
joseph1013:

Please don't take my words for it. Here are verses from the Bible about Yahweh having all these attributes:

God is good:

- "Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever" (Psalm 107:1).

All these proves that Yahweh has human emotions.

it is the narrator or diviner or babalawo that is saying that..GOD according to the old testament is not a man..

- "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him" (Psalm 34:cool.

God is jealous:

- "for you shall not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God" (Exodus 34:14).

- "They made Him jealous with strange gods; With abominations they provoked Him to anger" (Deuteronomy 32:16)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:46am On Jan 04, 2017
sonmvayina:
it is the narrator or diviner or babalawo that is saying that..GOD according to the old testament is not a man..

Unfortunately, you don't know your Bible well enough. First, according to the Bible, Yahweh inspired the whole of the Christian scriptures. They wrote what he wanted them to write.

Second, Jesus, who I perceive you believe to be Yahweh and his son at the same time said this in Mark 10:18, "And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone."

Yahweh himself said in Exodus 33:19, "God said, "I'll cause all my goodness to pass before you, and I'll proclaim the name "the LORD' before you. I'll be gracious to whom I'll be gracious, and I'll show compassion on whom I'll show compassion."(ISV)"

About jealousy, it was Yahweh who proclaimed himself to be jealous. Check Exodus 20:5 "You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me..."

See? Yahweh has human emotions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:36am On Jan 06, 2017
...RELIGION IS NOT FAR FROM THERE

Wherever you find adult humans in large numbers engaged in extreme foolish behavior such as handling live snakes with bare hands, drinking petrol, eating wild grass like goats, crawling and bleating like sheep, dancing and rolling in muddy water on major roads, mass suicide, kicking pregnant women in the tummy, slapping innocent girls in public, stripping people naked, burning people alive and drinking semen, religion is not far from there.

When a large crowd including professors gather to listen to something stupid like 'There will be quite a large number of weddings this year', it is religion.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:27am On Jan 06, 2017
Ijabla Raymond

The Nigerian Church has changed a lot since I resigned my membership.

I hear that Nigerian Christians now donate their entire January salaries to their pastors. They call it "first fruits". Apparently, nothing moves God to bless the believer more than first fruits.

And, please don't get it twisted. Farm produce such as fruits, vegetables, corn and animals are not acceptable. They must be "monetised" i.e. sold and their monetary value given to the pastor who then spends the money on God's behalf.

It appears that the Nigerian God behaves like Nigerians. Nothing gets done in our country without bribery. Even God must be bribed with "first fruits" before He does kindness.

Nigerian Christians have most definitely developed itchy ears. And as soon as you try to point this out they will come charging at you with "touch not mine anointed and do my prophet no harm."

So, will Jesus still find faith in Nigeria when He returns?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:44pm On Jan 07, 2017
THE LEVEL OF WICKEDNESS...

I have never seen criminals as wicked as Nigerian pastors.

Even in a recession, pastors are asking people to pay all their January salary or income as first fruits.

Recession plus January hardship is nothing to a Nigerian pastor as he asks people who have rent, children's school fees and feeding to pay for to donate all their incomes to him.

Before it used to be the fraud of newly employed people donating their first salary to pastors, now it's everybody in the church being scammed of their first income.

I wonder why the EFCC will not go after these fraudsters and criminals parading as pastors.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ooman(m): 9:37am On Jan 08, 2017
ScienceWatch:
The evidence of creation is not hard to find. The mind-blowing evidence for CREATION is put in its simplest form in
John 14:12. Dishonest scientists earn a living from shoving ideas into the laps of the masses that usually have no way to verify the poo.

Jesus says to all pastors, ministers and evangelists in John 14:12 Truly, Truly, I say to you, He that believes me, the WORKS that I do will you also do; and greater WORKS than these shall you do; because I go unto my Father.

A pastor, minister, evangelist will be know by their WORKS so that fake pastors can be separated from the real pastors. The wheat is separated from the chaff. Only the WORKS bear witness of a real pastor, not their elaborate speeches.

What are these WORKS that Jesus always refer to ?
They are the miracles, prophecy, signs and wonders. Jesus also instructs all pastors, ministers, evangelists to do the same, He says to them,”As my father sent me, so send I you.”
Jesus say clearly in these biblical refs that these WORKS that he does bear witness that the Father has sent him.

Another oaf using the bible to prove the bible...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by hahn(m): 12:15pm On Jan 08, 2017
joseph1013:
I fail to understand something: After so many failed prophecies by these pretending clowns, people still look up to them for more.
What is this condition called?

Religion

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:15am On Jan 09, 2017
ATHEISM OFFERS NOTHING TO ME...

Atheism offers nothing to me
It never has, and it never will
It does not make me feel good
Or comfort me

It’s not there for me when I’m sick or ill
It can’t intervene in my times of need
It won’t protect me from hate or lies
It doesn’t care if I fail or succeed

It won’t wipe the tears from my eyes
It does nothing when I’ve got nowhere to run
It won’t give me wise words or advice
It has no teachings for me to learn

It can’t show me what’s bad or nice
It’s never inspired or incited anyone
It won’t help me fulfill all my goals
It won’t tell me to stop when I’m having fun
It’s never saved one single soul

It doesn’t take credit for everything I acheive
It won’t make me get down on bended knee
It doesn’t demand that I have to believe
It won’t torture me for eternity

It won’t teach me to hate or dispise others
It can’t tell me what’s right or wrong
It won’t tell anybody that they can’t be lovers
It’s told nobody that they don’t belong

It won’t make you think that life is worth living
It has nothing to offer me, that’s true
But the reason atheism offers me nothing
Is because I’ve never asked it to

Atheism offers nothing because it doesn’t need to
Religion promises everything because you want it to
You don’t need a religon or to have faith
You just want it because you need to feel safe

I want to feel reality
And nothing more

So atheism offers me everything
That religion has stolen before.

--Richard Coughlan

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:36am On Jan 09, 2017
THE AGE OF CELEBRITY... BUT AT WHAT COST?
by Michael Arnovitz

Check the image below. The guy on the left of the photo below. He died in 2016. Yet if you’re like me (or I assume most people) you probably have no idea who he is. And that is deeply unjust, because his name is Dr. Donald Henderson and he was responsible for eradicating smallpox. And it’s difficult to overstate just how big of a deal that is. During the 20th century alone the "red plague" was responsible for the deaths of as many as 500 million people. That’s a half BILLION people.

Because of Dr. Henderson’s efforts however, it’s been nearly 40 years since the last known naturally occurring case of smallpox. Which means that even in that short time period, Dr. Henderson probably saved over 200 million lives.

Numbers that big turn into mere statistics. So for some perspective look at the image below on the right. That's a Bangladeshi child stricken with smallpox. That used to be the reality for untold millions of people around the world. Smallpox was a ghastly disease. It killed a third of the people who contracted it. And those who survived it were often scarred, crippled and/or blinded for life.

But that is all gone now. Dr. Henderson took that horror from our world.

By any objective measure, at least in my view, that makes Dr. Donald Henderson one of the greatest men who ever lived. But men and women like Dr. Henderson don’t get parades, they don’t get TV specials, and they don't get celebrities tweeting about how amazing they were. Most often, as in the case of Dr. Henderson, they pass with barely a mention.

To be clear, I have no objection to honoring the work and lives of popular celebrities and artists. But as we move forward into our new year and our new reality, maybe it wouldn’t be the worst idea to start thinking a little more about what we value, and why.

We live in a nation that has spent decades over-valuing fame and under-valuing expertise. That did not happen by accident, and it’s a large part of why a reality-TV host is now the president while a man like Dr. Henderson died in near obscurity.

No matter how much pundits like to insist otherwise, we do not live in a “post-fact” world, and we never will. As a society, any collective decision by a large faction of us to ignore facts/truth doesn’t change the reality of those facts/truth. On the contrary, the only things that change are the consequences.

There are real facts in this world. There is real truth in this world. Men like Dr. Henderson used real facts, science and expertise to change the world for the better. Men like Trump manipulate and distract us away from real facts in order to pursue their own agendas.

Sadly, many of our fellow citizens can no longer tell the difference. Worse, many of them don’t want to. That means its up to the rest of us to speak for the truth. And we will.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:32am On Jan 10, 2017
Nigeria's biggest problem isn't corruption. It is the failure of institutions. Our institutions are built around personalities. As soon as that strong leader is replaced all their efforts are reversed in one night and we are back to square one.
Absolutely gutted to learn that President Buhari has sacked the man that had the guts to bring transparency to NGO's including churches.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ScienceWatch: 3:21pm On Jan 10, 2017
ooman:

"Zetbrittle." Success with that will lead to the dismantling of the Kwv2 theory that is pointing to something out there.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ScienceWatch: 3:23pm On Jan 10, 2017
ooman:

Great compliment there, thanks.

Ok ! Take it easy. Next time I will use a Water-melon to prove a 4x4.

Why would you claim that there is no "Zetbritle" then get together and spend years and millions of dollars trying to prove that there is no such thing ?

When you guys finally do get to prove that there is no such thing as a "Zetbrittle", what will you do with the info, how will you help society with your new findings.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ScienceWatch: 3:28pm On Jan 10, 2017
ooman:

Great compliment there, thanks.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:08pm On Jan 12, 2017
EVIDENCE AND CREATIONISM

Creationists have developed an industry dedicated to poking holes in the evidence for evolutionary theory. Honestly, I would be excited if they succeeded because it could improve our understanding of the origin of species.

But they won't succeed by dishonest quote-mining, denying we can understand anything if "we weren't there", claiming that known limitations in archaeological dating science means no dating techniques work, or proposing a gigantic, world-wide conspiracy.

When Benjamin Franklin and others explained the causes of lightning, they didn't do it by picking holes in the God explanation--they brought compelling evidence and the God explanation became irrelevant.

If creationists have a better explanation than science, let them bring their evidence. If it's good, evolutionary theory will become as irrelevant as the God explanation for lightning. But here is the problem. Creationists REFUSE to offer evidence. They won't even tell us what evidence would confirm or falsify creationism so we can look for it ourselves.

You can't get blood from a stone because it has no blood. And you cannot get evidence from a creationist because he has no evidence. Creationism is irrelevant.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:16pm On Jan 15, 2017
SCIENCE MADE GOD USELESS....
by Kojo Frimpong

Man tried using god and the bible to explain the universe for 2000 years and it never helped us to learn anything. Using science and the scientific method helps us to discover and learn more. It does not matter which religion you believe in, science is reliable and always will be.

Humans no longer need to believe in a god to explain the universe. When humans were ignorant and did not understand nature they used god to explain such things. Now, we have a better understanding our circumstances. It is only people who reject science as a fact and people who refuse to educate themselves that need god.

Scientists are not idiots. You cannot just pull out god out of thin air and suggest that it must be considered by the scientific community. The church already made it clear it disagrees with science when it jailed Galileo and forced Darwin to retract his statements about natural selection. First you would have to prove your god before suggesting a scientist must consider him/her/it.

I can boldly declare that religion is not the right path, so as we progress and gather more information, the more religion fades away. It is not a coincidence!

If electricity makes life easier for us, you can thank Michael Faraday, not god. He made a big discovery that changed our lives. In 1821, he also discovered that when a wire carrying an electric current is placed next to a single magnetic pole, the wire will rotate. This led to the development of the electric motor.

Before French chemist Louis Pasteur began experimenting with bacteria in the 1860s, people did not know what caused disease, but believers ignorantly attributed this to demons. Pasteur discovered that disease came from microorganisms, and that bacteria could be killed by heat and disinfectant.

Antibiotics are powerful drugs that kill dangerous bacteria in our bodies that make us sick. In 1928, Alexander Fleming discovered the first antibiotic, penicillin, which he grew in his lab using mold and fungi. Can you imagine life without antibiotics?

Wilhelm Roentgen, a German physicist, discovered X-rays in 1895. X-rays go right through some substances, like flesh and wood, but are stopped by others, such as bones and lead. This allows them to be used to see broken bones or explosives inside suitcases, which makes them useful for doctors and security officers.

Tell me why we need a god!

If your alleged mighty magic space-wizard tyrant were real, it would mean he is an incompetent buffoon and that we were stupidly and inefficiently created, since some are born with eyes that cannot see and reproductive system but cannot reproduce, despite the ironic fact that your cult manual commands you to be fruitful and multiply. Thanks to science, these can be corrected.

I am an African, I write what I like...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:21pm On Jan 16, 2017
THE END OF GODS

The human ape has worshiped many thousands of gods throughout its brief history. Our gods have ranged from rivers, winds and mountains to celestial bodies such as the sun and moon, to animals, and to humans (with some part-human-part-animal combos thrown in for good measure). We've even worshiped some extraordinary multi-headed monsters that are the stuff of nightmares.

Our most recent gods have morphed into immaterial, invisible, ghostly sylphs. As our gods have become less substantial, they have become more intelligent and more powerful. Some are now credited with the improbable, if not incoherent, combination of omniscience and omnipotence.

With such diversity, perhaps the only thing gods have in common is that we invent them, laud them, disseminate them and, eventually, we forget them.

As our species has matured, we have discovered one more thing about gods. Now, with more than a billion people not believing in them, we have learned that we do not need them any more.

In our infancy, no doubt we needed gods to help us cope when the world was a hostile, uncertain and frightening place in which we felt small and vulnerable--a time when we were at the mercy of unfathomable diseases, predatory animals, floods, drought, storms and natural disasters. A time when we were starting to ask difficult questions about origins, life and death but had no answers.

But those times are long gone. For most of us, gods are no longer a need--they have become a habit. A habit it is time to break.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:56pm On Jan 16, 2017
Sillyking Chyme

A friend once asked me
If you see a guy raping a helpless five year old, what will you do??
I will stop him, I answered and make sure he gets served.

He answered "Well, God wouldn't. God will let the guy go through with it and turn my little girl into a living corpse.
You have more morals than God."

I stood speechless..like boom!!!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:44pm On Jan 17, 2017
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOUR PASTOR SAYS

Every now and again a theist appears in NL religious section who has evidently never spoken to an atheist before. They are shocked. There are tell-tale signs. They will often kick-off with comments like:

"You are lost."

"You have eyes but are blind, ears but cannot hear."

"The truth is staring you in the face."

If you try to engage them in conversation, they may say, "A wise man does not argue with fools" or they may wheel out Psalm 14.1, "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

If you continue to coax them into explaining why they believe in their god, one of two things will happen; either they will run away or they will offer arguments so thoroughly discredited that most atheists could debunk them in their sleep.

It is pretty clear that these believers approach atheists with a preexisting idea of what atheists are like. The caricature seems to be that atheists are rather stupid, have not given the question of the existence of God the least thought and, most likely, chose to be atheists because they hate God or prefer sin to righteousness.

Of course, if they do hang around, it doesn't take long for those misconceptions to be dispelled. They soon find out atheists are more often the exact opposite of their caricature.

I may be wrong, but I guess they get this image of atheists from the pulpit--it's another thing their pastor says that is not true. My advice is don't believe everything your pastor says.

On second thoughts, it might be safer not to believe anything your pastor says. After all he makes his living by encouraging people to believe a long list of fantastical, magical things, none of which he can show to be true.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:03am On Jan 18, 2017
WHAT ARE YOU?

A cloud is an arrangement of molecules. So is a mouse and so are you.

The molecules will stay arranged for a while and the cloud, the mouse and you will exist. But they won't stay arranged for ever. At some point the arrangement will break down and the molecules will each go their own way.

Maybe one of your molecules will become part of someone else or maybe it will become part of a new cloud.

This much we all know. But there is a difference between humans and other arrangements of molecules. Our molecules are arranged to give us greater intelligence than any other known arrangement.

We have enough intelligence that, uniquely, we know we will die one day. But we don't want to die. So we try to imagine ways we could live forever. We know what happens to molecules so we invented something else. We say part of us is not made of molecules and therefore not subject to the laws of molecules.

We call that something, a soul. No-one has ever seen a soul, no-one has ever detected a soul, in fact, we have no reason to believe a soul exists. It's just that we want it to exist. So we believe it does.

Our belief in the soul does not come from science; it does not even come from philosophy—it comes from wishful thinking.

There is a branch of learning that claims expertise in the soul. It is a branch of learning that elevates wishful thinking above reality. A branch of learning in which what you would like to be true takes precedence over what is true. It is dedicated to defending ancient longings rather than uncovering new truths.

It is a branch of learning that is not about learning—it is about NOT learning. It is called theology.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:33am On Jan 19, 2017
"There will be quite a large number of weddings"
~ Pastor Adeboye's prophecy for 2017

How come Adeboye and his fellow prophets never prophesy anything of consequence? They failed to prophesy about Gambia and the situation that is developing there right now. Why?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (130) (Reply)

Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.