Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,953 members, 7,817,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice (6991 Views)

Why Do Christians Pray Aggressively & Shout Louder Amen At The Mention Of Money? / Biblical Verses Of Killing And Terror / Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by mazaje(m): 6:19pm On Dec 11, 2008
Why are christains quick in castigating prophet mohammed and allah as manovalent and dangerous when the jehova of the bible is worse? here are some of his actions according to the bible. . . . .  and there are many many more this is just a tip of the ice berg. . .

God will kill men, have their children smashed, and have their wives raped (Isaiah 13:15-16).

God will punish children for the iniquities of their fathers and distant ancestors (Isaiah 14:21).

God will lay waste to entire cities and make the lands desolate (Jeremiah 4:7).

God will set people, animals, and even plants on fire because of his anger (Jeremiah 7:20).

God will send so much evil that people would rather be dead than suffer (Jeremiah 8:3).

God will give away the property of men, including their wives, to other men (Jeremiah 8:10).

God will kill young men, and their children will die from a famine (Jeremiah 11:22).

God will cause everyone to become drunk so father and son will kill one another (Jeremiah 13:14).

God will not hear the cries of the people or acknowledge their sacrifices (Jeremiah 14:12).

God will make people hungry enough to eat their own children and friends (Jeremiah 19:9).

God will burn entire cities with the inhabitants still inside (Jeremiah 50:32).

God will break people’s bones and knock their teeth out with stones (Lamentations 3:1-16).

God will force fathers and sons to eat each other and scatter their remembrance (Ezekiel 5:10).

God will be comforted by killing everyone with pestilence, plagues, and swords (Ezekiel 5:12-13).

God will lay dead bodies around idols and spread their bones around the alters (Ezekiel 6:5).

God will kill righteous men and forget their good deeds if they ever turn to sin (Ezekiel 18:24).

God will turn daughters into whores and wives into adulterers (Hosea 4:13).

God will kill children when they come out of their mothers’ wombs (Hosea 10:14).

God will tear people apart and devour them like a lion (Hosea 13:cool.

God will kill children and unborn fetuses because their parents worship other gods (Hosea 13:16).

God will sell the children of Israel into slavery in a far away land (Joel 3:cool.

God will kill inhabitants of entire cities if they have a corrupt government (Micah 3:9-12).

God will consume every living thing from the face of the earth (Zephaniah 1:2-3).

God will send people to steal Jerusalem, rape the women, and enslave the rest (Zechariah 14:2).

God will send plagues on people and animals to rot away tongues and eyes (Zechariah 14:12-15).
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by syphillis: 6:21pm On Dec 11, 2008
you atheists will die of heart attack one day cos of the Christian God undecided
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by KarmaMod(f): 6:22pm On Dec 11, 2008
I think you proved why Jesus was sent to die, mazaje

abi?
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Lady2(f): 6:25pm On Dec 11, 2008
that is so a catholic and prostant way of think inf it is foolish. Christianity is just a universal form of judaism that why we must leran about the wriitens in the OT. Without the OT the the relgion is incomplete. Before the NT canon was produce what did u think the early christains read

I'm sorry but it is not a catholic way of thinking. I am catholic look above yours and see my post, thank you. Catholic Church does not put the old testament aside. I said something about the old is the new concealed and the new is the old revealed, that is a saying from the Catholic Church. So please know before you speak. Thanks.
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by AdamBrody1(m): 6:27pm On Dec 11, 2008
@saleh

The reason i stopped reading your posts is because your write ups are filled with grammatical errors and typing blunders and i wonder if you are using this thread to practice your A,B,Cs and typing skills.

Reading a line of yours is so painfully disgusting that i became blurry-eyed for almost 30 minutes!

When you improve on your dictions and semantics then we can talk more on the so called historical revelation of reading the bible or is it the torah undecided
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by mazaje(m): 6:29pm On Dec 11, 2008
KarmaMod:

I think you proved why Jesus was sent to die, mazaje

abi?

die for what and whom? i guess the biblical god was tired of killing and drinking human blood or was he tired of giving instructions to his foot soldiers on how to share war booty and virgins? what about his strong advocacy of slavery? was he tired of that too?. . .was he tired of killing babies because their parents worship other gods?. . . since after jesus's so called death and resurection what has changed in the world? has sin stopped? i thought jesus's death was supposed to put an end to sin. . why is there still abundant sin in the world. . and why is the biblical god's arch enemy the devil still having a swell time. . .(i don't even know what you guys mean by satan or devil). . .

syphillis:

you atheists will die of heart attack one day because of the Christian God undecided

who are where is he?. . .the christain god is nothing but a fraud i say allah is the ultimate god prove to me that he is'nt. . .
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by syphillis: 6:31pm On Dec 11, 2008
mazaje:

who are where is he?. . .the christain god is nothing but a fraudi say allah is the ultimate god prove to me that he is'nt. . .

you atheists will die of heart attack one day because of the Christian God undecided
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:32pm On Dec 11, 2008
I really did not want to say anything because this issue has been flogged numerous times here.
@lady
I loved your analogy about the child beating scenario, it was really really good but I think the mistake we keep making is that God is responsible for all this, and this is not about boxing God into what I think he should be but because those murders were plain wrong. I could go on to challenge you if you know what the constitution of Nigeria is on child welfare but I don't want us to derail this thread. Murder is a grey area, it is taking somebody's life, it is a serious issue. Let me give you an analogy, if say I was born in calabar when the killing of twins reigned supreme and my wife gave birth to a set of twins who were murdered, it does not make it any less wrong because it was the culture of the town. It is plain and simply wrong, whether or not we should blame them becomes another issue entirely that bears on this one because they were men who believed they were doing the will of the gods just as you believe moses and his goons were doing the will of God, it does not make the issue any less wrong.
Now case scenario one is that Moses did it all on his own following the laws of the land as made by the limited knowledge of man, then Moses is to blame in part because they were wrong regardless of if he thought he was doing the right thing.
The other scenario is that God really did instruct him as depicted in the bible, in this case God is to blame, because senseless murder of innocent children and women and men is wrong no matter how you cut it.
But hold on, we are talking about God here, he is supposed to know way before hand that murder was wrong!
@sahel lady
Welcome to nairaland, please can you tell me what jephtah was supposed to do to the first thing that comes out of his house?
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by sahellady: 6:36pm On Dec 11, 2008
mazaje:

Why are christains quick in castigating prophet mohammed and allah as manovalent and dangerous when the jehova of the bible is worse? here are some of his actions according to the bible. . . . .  and there are many many more this is just a tip of the ice berg. . .

God will kill men, have their children smashed, and have their wives raped (Isaiah 13:15-16).

God will punish children for the iniquities of their fathers and distant ancestors (Isaiah 14:21).

God will lay waste to entire cities and make the lands desolate (Jeremiah 4:7).

God will set people, animals, and even plants on fire because of his anger (Jeremiah 7:20).

God will send so much evil that people would rather be dead than suffer (Jeremiah 8:3).

God will give away the property of men, including their wives, to other men (Jeremiah 8:10).

God will kill young men, and their children will die from a famine (Jeremiah 11:22).

God will cause everyone to become drunk so father and son will kill one another (Jeremiah 13:14).

God will not hear the cries of the people or acknowledge their sacrifices (Jeremiah 14:12).

God will make people hungry enough to eat their own children and friends (Jeremiah 19:9).

God will burn entire cities with the inhabitants still inside (Jeremiah 50:32).

God will break people’s bones and knock their teeth out with stones (Lamentations 3:1-16).

God will force fathers and sons to eat each other and scatter their remembrance (Ezekiel 5:10).

God will be comforted by killing everyone with pestilence, plagues, and swords (Ezekiel 5:12-13).

God will lay dead bodies around idols and spread their bones around the alters (Ezekiel 6:5).

God will kill righteous men and forget their good deeds if they ever turn to sin (Ezekiel 18:24).

God will turn daughters into whores and wives into adulterers (Hosea 4:13).

God will kill children when they come out of their mothers’ wombs (Hosea 10:14).

God will tear people apart and devour them like a lion (Hosea 13:cool.

God will kill children and unborn fetuses because their parents worship other gods (Hosea 13:16).

God will sell the children of Israel into slavery in a far away land (Joel 3:cool.

God will kill inhabitants of entire cities if they have a corrupt government (Micah 3:9-12).

God will consume every living thing from the face of the earth (Zephaniah 1:2-3).

God will send people to steal Jerusalem, rape the women, and enslave the rest (Zechariah 14:2).

God will send plagues on people and animals to rot away tongues and eyes (Zechariah 14:12-15).

You dummy how does this prove what i said wrong. And by the way u are quotign the verses the wrong way see u are gettng these from some damn athesit website . Why are u quoting one verse fom serval chapters why not the whole chapters because thats is the only way u can understand the vrse. again reading the bible like a pentecostal. For your information  Jermaih Zachariah and the rest of those prophets never order anthing u see if u actully read. They were prophesing the invasion of isreal by the assyirans and babloyonians hence those little quotes are only things that they told the kingdom of judah or what was to come. This was due to theitr stuborness and sinfull nature they were spaking about a coming war and punishment.  Besides what does this have to do with the topic at hand, man can u poeple stick to the topic. i feel as though i'm running around in circles

[Quote]
@saleh

The reason i stopped reading your posts is because your write ups are filled with grammatical errors and typing blunders and i wonder if you are using this thread to practice your A,B,Cs and typing skills.

Reading a line of yours is so painfully disgusting that i became blurry-eyed for almost 30 minutes!

When you improve on your dictions and semantics then we can talk more on the so called historical revelation of reading the bible or is it the torah [/quote]

Translation" i can't proove anything wrong because i don't know sh8T so i'm going to pick on people typing skills since that is the only thing i can do"lol Ha buddy i know my typing skills suck. I don't need you to tell me that.LOL u just don't know anything  simple as that now u want act smart. I only ask for proof and u didn't deliver because u can't. You can't name not one christain theologian that would agree with your conculsions. Atleast a person like me knows the historical context of certain bible books without posting verses like some nut case. First my post is too long now my typing sucks. what else u are going to say?I know my typing sucks but i know it don't suck that bad it is readable LoL next time don't act so emotional when trying to debate not every christian is a pentecostal
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by sahellady: 6:44pm On Dec 11, 2008
~Lady~:

I'm sorry but it is not a catholic way of thinking. I am catholic look above yours and see my post, thank you. Catholic Church does not put the old testament aside. I said something about the old is the new concealed and the new is the old revealed, that is a saying from the Catholic Church. So please know before you speak. Thanks.
that respose was not for you. But i wasn't meaning to insult or offend u i'm neither catholic nor prostant. I'm orthodox. ands orry many romman cathloic think the same way when cocerning the OT. But there are diverse opinions within that camp so it isn't a universal thing in the cathloic church. Sorry if i offend you.

Welcome to nairaland, please can you tell me what jephtah was supposed to do to the first thing that comes out of his house?
it's in my first response as to what he did i'm a bit to tired and lazy to type it up all over lol
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by AdamBrody1(m): 6:44pm On Dec 11, 2008
Elisha and the Two Bears

(2 Kings 2:23-25)

23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 And he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria.

Can a very good christian with so much wisdom like sahel explain the beauty, spirituality and kindness of the lord in this passage?
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by mazaje(m): 6:47pm On Dec 11, 2008
When Joshua informs the Israelites of God’s decision to deliver the city of Jericho over to them, they topple its walls and kill every living thing in the city, except for a single harlot on espionage missions, before burning it to the ground (Joshua 6:16-24). Afterwards, God orders Joshua to infiltrate the city of Ai because he’s delivered it in likewise fashion. The Israelites also set Ai on fire and kill the 12,000 inhabitants running for their lives. The King of Ai is taken prisoner and later hanged (Joshua 8:19-29). Following the victories at Jericho and Ai, God commands Joshua to go on an unbelievable killing spree. The Israelites subsequently murder all the men, women, and children in Makkedah, Libnah, Lachish (along with the King of Gezer and his armies assisting Lachish), Eglon, Hebron, and Debir. Not a single life was spared during these invasions (Joshua 10:28-40).

When word spreads of Joshua’s rapid conquests, a considerable number of cities combine their armies to attempt a victory over Joshua and Israel. The number of resistance forces is “as the sand that is upon the sea shore in multitude,” but God promises to deliver them all to Joshua. Indeed, God remains true to his word and “They smote them, until they left them none remaining.” Joshua then burns their chariots and brutally cuts the hamstrings on their remaining horses (Joshua 11:1-9). After the battle, the Israelite army marches into all the unprotected and defenseless cities that had offered their armies in resistance and kills every living man. In Hazor, the army kills every man, woman, and child before setting the city ablaze. One can only speculate on how many hundreds of thousands of lives God orders Joshua to take in these assuredly disputable accounts.

Following Joshua’s death, God proceeds with his war strategies when the Israelites face Benjamin’s army. As a result of God’s unorthodox command, 22,000 of his own people die in the first battle. The next day, he orders them to face Benjamin once again. This time, they suffer an additional 18,000 casualties. Phinehas, feeling a bit hesitant to lead another hopeless skirmish, asks God if he should take command in another attack against Benjamin. God affirms Phinehas’ inquiry and promises him a solid victory. In the ensuing battle, the Benjamites suffer 25,100 casualties (Judges 20). In this short series of campaigns, God orders his own troops into two battles that his omniscience tells him they won’t win. On the first two days of this monstrous war, during which he wasn’t about to lift a finger to help, he saw to it that 40,000 of his own people would become casualties of needless warfare. Incidentally, the death of a single person initiated these hostilities.

Centuries later, when God “remembers” what the Amalekites did hundreds of years prior to Saul’s leadership, he orders Saul to journey to Amalek where he is to decimate every living thing in the city. Saul only partially obeys by killing every person but saving a few of the best animals for himself. My guess is that he was unaware of how enraged God becomes over such trivial matters. God subsequently revoked Saul’s crown because of his unwillingness to follow exact orders (1 Samuel 15). To me, however, the issue of Saul’s crown isn’t the one of major importance. Personally, I feel that the omnibenevolent God should not have held the people of Amalek responsible for the enterprises of their distant ancestors, but God and I are obviously in constant disagreement.
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Lady2(f): 6:51pm On Dec 11, 2008
that respose was not for you. But i wasn't meaning to insult or offend u i'm neither catholic nor prostant. I'm orthodox. ands orry many romman cathloic think the same way when cocerning the OT. But there are diverse opinions within that camp so it isn't a universal thing in the cathloic church. Sorry if i offend you.

No offense taken, I know that some Catholics think that way, but it is not a teaching of the Church. My point is unless it is a teaching of the church it shouldn't be said that catholics do this or do that. It is quite complicated because to be catholic one has to be in full union with the church and her teachings, so regardless of someone saying that they are catholic if they are not in full union with the church and her teachings they are not catholic.
example, when a catholic sins, they are no longer catholic until they go to confession and reconcile themselves to the church and to God.

@chrisbenogor

i replied you in the other thread, i am too lazy to copy and paste, but check it there, i hope others check it too.
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by sahellady: 7:01pm On Dec 11, 2008
Adam Brody:

Elisha and the Two Bears

(2 Kings 2:23-25)

23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 And he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria.

Can a very good christian with so much wisdom like sahel explain the beauty, spirituality and kindness of the lord in this passage?
LOL this still haven''t prove what i said wrong, you are still spewing verses like a pentecostal and this still isn't on topic but since u want to go there lets go. Now u have come into my turf Philosphy. How can God take life. i will explain the passage first. There is not a spiritual meaning behind at all it is very pactical. If u read other books and the entire chapter u would know what this mean. Prophets during this time were being killed by people and corupt rulers. They were hatedbecause thepointed out the social coruptaion in soviety. when the bible says the pophet were mocked it wasn't only words. They threw stones and sticks at them, spat on them even sometimes they got beat up. Anything to do them harm. When he curse them those young men suffered the consequences because if he kept it going. They may have done worse to him. Now about God taking life this goes into philosophy. God being the giver and creator life has in his own power to take away life or give it back. God does not take away life out of evil intentions(thats where u misundertood). He being the ulitimate good and perfect take away life when it is justfied.  Which is a explaination as to why murder is a sin for mankind. Not only because we do it out of evil intentions it's because we do not possess the power to give back life. Now even the most smartesst christain will never say they know the way God thinks because that is impoosible if we did then he wouldn't be God. But we know enough to explain certain acts that he does. It's Philosphy 101 maybe u shoul take it up.  Besides i'm glad u say i have wisdomatleast one of us does lol
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by KarmaMod(f): 7:05pm On Dec 11, 2008
you're a muslim now, mazaje?

i thought jesus's death was supposed to put an end to sin.

Um No. where did you get this from?
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by sahellady: 7:18pm On Dec 11, 2008
why can't u peole stick on topic. Everytime u can't prove your point you jump on something else seriously it is getting annoying. U guys suck at debating
mazaje:

When Joshua informs the Israelites of God’s decision to deliver the city of Jericho over to them, they topple its walls and kill every living thing in the city, except for a single harlot on espionage missions, before burning it to the ground (Joshua 6:16-24). Afterwards, God orders Joshua to infiltrate the city of Ai because he’s delivered it in likewise fashion. The Israelites also set Ai on fire and kill the 12,000 inhabitants running for their lives. The King of Ai is taken prisoner and later hanged (Joshua 8:19-29). Following the victories at Jericho and Ai, God commands Joshua to go on an unbelievable killing spree. The Israelites subsequently murder all the men, women, and children in Makkedah, Libnah, Lachish (along with the King of Gezer and his armies assisting Lachish), Eglon, Hebron, and Debir. Not a single life was spared during these invasions (Joshua 10:28-40).

When word spreads of Joshua’s rapid conquests, a considerable number of cities combine their armies to attempt a victory over Joshua and Israel. The number of resistance forces is “as the sand that is upon the sea shore in multitude,” but God promises to deliver them all to Joshua. Indeed, God remains true to his word and “They smote them, until they left them none remaining.” Joshua then burns their chariots and brutally cuts the hamstrings on their remaining horses (Joshua 11:1-9). After the battle, the Israelite army marches into all the unprotected and defenseless cities that had offered their armies in resistance and kills every living man. In Hazor, the army kills every man, woman, and child before setting the city ablaze. One can only speculate on how many hundreds of thousands of lives God orders Joshua to take in these assuredly disputable accounts.

Following Joshua’s death, God proceeds with his war strategies when the Israelites face Benjamin’s army. As a result of God’s unorthodox command, 22,000 of his own people die in the first battle. The next day, he orders them to face Benjamin once again. This time, they suffer an additional 18,000 casualties. Phinehas, feeling a bit hesitant to lead another hopeless skirmish, asks God if he should take command in another attack against Benjamin. God affirms Phinehas’ inquiry and promises him a solid victory. In the ensuing battle, the Benjamites suffer 25,100 casualties (Judges 20). In this short series of campaigns, God orders his own troops into two battles that his omniscience tells him they won’t win. On the first two days of this monstrous war, during which he wasn’t about to lift a finger to help, he saw to it that 40,000 of his own people would become casualties of needless warfare. Incidentally, the death of a single person initiated these hostilities.

Centuries later, when God “remembers” what the Amalekites did hundreds of years prior to Saul’s leadership, he orders Saul to journey to Amalek where he is to decimate every living thing in the city. Saul only partially obeys by killing every person but saving a few of the best animals for himself. My guess is that he was unaware of how enraged God becomes over such trivial matters. God subsequently revoked Saul’s crown because of his unwillingness to follow exact orders (1 Samuel 15). To me, however, the issue of Saul’s crown isn’t the one of major importance. Personally, I feel that the omnibenevolent God should not have held the people of Amalek responsible for the enterprises of their distant ancestors, but God and I are obviously in constant disagreement.

agian still haven't proove me wrong on my other post and now u are ranting and going to a verse posting rampage. Now i know u are getting this from an athist website because christrian theologian went through this so many times.I know what these stories i dealing with. Its is dealing with a group of people who in Genesis were given over 400 year to repent from child scarfices and other disgusting acts. And if u read some of my earlier post The isrealites were on the defensive. They never atacked first people attacked them fisrt u expect the not to fight back.  And about the people who were killed off they were given 400 years to turn around they refused also those people were extermily violent are were danger even to their neighbours not only the isarelites. The almalkite were attacked for the same reason> u have no idea what they uise to do uh. They were doing the same thing their ancestors did. Please read my post on God taking life and the justification of it because i refuse to post that again.

In the ensuing battle, the Benjamites suffer 25,100 casualties (Judges 20). In this short series of campaigns, God orders his own troops into two battles that his omniscience tells him they won’t win. On the first two days of this monstrous war, during which he wasn’t about to lift a finger to help, he saw to it that 40,000 of his own people would become casualties of needless warfare. Incidentally, the death of a single person initiated these hostilities.

hey i just spot this.u know what is funny about this quote  MAZAJE. Let me let u in on a secret. GOD NEVER ORDERED THIS. this story in judges is an historical record  of inter conflict within isreal. the israelites acted on they own and wanted to get revange on the benjamites for the rape and murder of a woman. this is tribal war(if u wish to call it that.) It is a historical record. Nothing else nothing to do with God but it serves as an exmaple of how sin made israel it's own worst enemy.
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:26pm On Dec 11, 2008
First of all this is the wrong analogy. The murdering of twins is not the same as punishment under law. That is where the problem comes in. You think that those people were put to death for no reason, they were put to death for breaking the law of the land, for voluntarily breaking the law of the land. if this is the case then the death penalty for a man who rapes and kills a 6 yr old girl is also considered murder (the church fights against the death penalty although so that all may be given the chance to repent). Giving birth is involuntary, it was the belief that the evil one is trying to come into the world through the birth of children. It is a superstitous belief. However, being pounished for breaking the law isn't superstitous belief.
The law of the land at that time was that crime basically is punishable by death, it was barbaric. That was the law. not just the law of God, but the law of the land. So whatever Moses said went, especially since he was the friend of God. God didn't come up with the punishment, the men of the land did, God just let them know what they were to be punished for. When someone breaks the rule, the men came up with the punishment.
It's like this, the government makes a rule and says that you will be punished for it, the judge comes up with the punishment. God is the government, Moses is the judge.
The government said thou shall not steal, kill, blah blah blah, the judge says oh you've stolen, killed, blah blah blah here is your punishment.

Lady, listen the underlying factor in both our analogies was the ways of the land, giving birth to twins was against their beliefs then it does not make what they were doing to the twins right that is what I was trying to point out to you. The part in bold is another wrong assertion, God ordered the killings, all those I showed you in the ten commandments were ordered by God. But I want us to put this part of the discussion on hold if you would please we can call it part "A".

I want us to talk of a more urgent issue which is the story of jephthah, you and sahel lady have been saying the wrong thing. Lets see what the bible says about it,
Judges 11
29 Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah. He crossed Gilead and Manasseh, passed through Mizpah of Gilead, and from there he advanced against the Ammonites. 30 And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD : "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, 31 whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

Now I will let you redeem yourself by telling us exactly how a burnt offering is supposed to be done, for those reading this it is pretty graphic so be careful before you read, stop making factually wrong statements here.
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by sahellady: 7:46pm On Dec 11, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

I want us to talk of a more urgent issue which is the story of jephthah, you and sahel lady have been saying the wrong thing. Lets see what the bible says about it,
Now I will let you redeem yourself by telling us exactly how a burnt offering is supposed to be done, for those reading this it is pretty graphic so be careful before you read, stop making factually wrong statements here.
I already answer that in my first post i advice u to read it. He didn't kill his daughter. u must undesrtand he made a vow God never ask for. he made that vow on the assumtion that he will do an animal scarfice. Considering the cicumstance he was put it and that it goes against israelite law to allow human sacrfces his daughter was then givin up into religous serives in which women had to reamined virgins. Which was the reason for her mourning since s hell will never get the chanceto marry. we must also remember she agree to it inorder to kept her father honor. this is a honor base culture promised aren't broken so easliy esp ones to God. take into account as well the text never said he killed her. if you notice she and her friend weep for 2 months because she will never marry not because of death. so it's clear she wasn't going to be killed. look at the cultural context. this is why writer made it claer she was a virgin. Beside animal scarfices had to be male so even if he woulda killed her he couldn't.  Its in jewish tradiations
bside let me quote you rule for sacrfices and a simple deatl explaintion from christain think tank

Literal "burnt offerings" HAD TO BE male (Lev 22.18-19). Jephthah's daughter obviously wasn't.

Human sacrifice was STRICTLY forbidden (Dt 12.31) and we have NO record of it being practiced (even in horrible Judges-period Israel) by mainstream Israel during this period.

The lament for the daughter is about 'not marrying' NOT about 'not living'--it makes me wonder if some kind of religious celibacy is not in view. (the women at the Entrance to the Tent were celibate--Ex 38.8--living as widows in Israel later did on Temple payrolls.)

Verse 39 calls his action a 'vow'. Lev 27.28 (coupled with 27.21) allowed people to be given over the Lord, who became servants of the Priests. As devoted to the Lord's service, some of them probably did NOT marry (cf. the Nazarite vow, in its restriction on becoming 'unclean' for family members (Num 6.7) omits the words 'husband' or 'wife', perhaps it was sometimes involving celibacy.

As the only child, and if given to the priest in this fashion, Jephthah's entire estate would go to someone else.

We have the VERY parallel case of Hannah and Samuel. She takes a vow, and offers her son to the Lord for all his life. (I Sam 1-2), and such vows did NOT allow the person to be redeemed with money (Lev 27.28-29).

Burnt offerings were ALWAYS associated with condemnation/evil--not thanksgiving and vows. Even the one non-literal use of it in Dt 13.16 (in which a town is offered as a burnt offering) involves abject judgment/condemnation--NOT at all in view in the Jephthah passage.

What I have to conclude from this passage is that Jephthah is using 'burnt offering' in a general 'offering' sense, and that he is meaning an 'irredeemable vow' as a thank-offering, along the line of Hannah/Samuel. This is the only way to make sense of all the particulars. (Interestingly, Jephthat is surprisingly literate—his knowledge of biblical history,evidenced in the letter to his adversary, shows that he knows the mosaic history—he WOULD have known how bad a literal human sacrifice would have been.)
source christain think tank
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by syphillis: 7:53pm On Dec 11, 2008
mazaje:

who are where is he?. . .the christain god is nothing but a fraudi say allah is the ultimate god prove to me that he is'nt. . .

call him a fraud,thief,lunatic,killer demon watever mazaje,it wont stop me from loving him(the God of d bible) wink
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:09pm On Dec 11, 2008
Please sahel lady lets be honest here, what was Abraham about to do to his son? Is there anywhere in the bible where it says that is what happened or you are just asserting, back to the bible now

Judges 11

35And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.

36And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the LORD, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the LORD hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.

37And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.

38And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.

39And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,

40That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.

Its quite clear for you to see sahel, why would they lament if she went to the temple to be a virgin
Please give us a more concrete answer, he did to her according to his vow, and please what was his vow again?
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Lady2(f): 8:35pm On Dec 11, 2008
Its quite clear for you to see sahel, why would they lament if she went to the temple to be a virgin
Please give us a more concrete answer, he did to her according to his vow, and please what was his vow again?

lamentations do not have to take place because of a death, it just has to be something sorrowful. Isaiah speaks of Israel lamenting because salvation is far from them (a prophecy). To lament is to regret sorrowfully, for one to regret a death does not have to occur.

In this case she would lament to enter the temple as a virgin because she will never get to marry and because her father's lineage ends with her. She is lamenting because her father made a vow without thinking about the consequences.
For a woman to be taken into the temple as a virgin, especially if she dreamed of being married, that is enough to lament over.

His vow was general and in assumption of him offering an animal. Sahel lady already went into details on it. Human sacrifices were forbidden so there is no way that he could have offered her as a burnt offering.
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Lady2(f): 8:36pm On Dec 11, 2008
Please sahel lady lets be honest here, what was Abraham about to do to his son? Is there anywhere in the bible where it says that is what happened or you are just asserting, back to the bible now

the laws were not in place during Abraham's time, or did you forget that the Israelites came from Abraham?
and even at that God stopped him
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by sahellady: 8:43pm On Dec 11, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

Please sahel lady lets be honest here, what was Abraham about to do to his son? Is there anywhere in the bible where it says that is what happened or you are just asserting, back to the bible now.
Lol i already dealt with this in my first post beside u can not comapre this to the story of jephthah . it is verry different and trust me i'm being honest with you. Also u seem to forget God nevera llow him to kill issac. It has more of a symbalic meaning

i alreay gave a concrete answer please read again(i'm not typing it over). Beside are you african or fom the eastern world. I'm pretty sure if u are u can undesrtand  the importance of Marriage within eastern culture esp semitite cultures as well. For jephtah it was a serious blow because she was his only child and since she had o remain a virgin his bloodline ends. Read the verse over they weep because she wil never marry.  not because of death. It it was that it would have xplicitly say that. His daughter ask for 2 mounths to weep because she wil never marry. Thatis what it says. There is no indication od death at all.  

Besides even if he wanted to burn her he couldn't. Animal sacrfices had to be male, always male, i'm pretty sure his daughter did not grow a privates lol. U must look at the bible at a historical and culture context even hough u are very literal even for you that text doesn't prove you point because it never said he killed her and it would go agiant israelite law which is outline in the other books
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by sahellady: 8:45pm On Dec 11, 2008
~Lady~:

lamentations do not have to take place because of a death, it just has to be something sorrowful. Isaiah speaks of Israel lamenting because salvation is far from them (a prophecy). To lament is to regret sorrowfully, for one to regret a death does not have to occur.

In this case she would lament to enter the temple as a virgin because she will never get to marry and because her father's lineage ends with her. She is lamenting because her father made a vow without thinking about the consequences.
For a woman to be taken into the temple as a virgin, especially if she dreamed of being married, that is enough to lament over.

His vow was general and in assumption of him offering an animal. Sahel lady already went into details on it. Human sacrifices were forbidden so there is no way that he could have offered her as a burnt offering.
I agree
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Lady2(f): 11:07pm On Dec 11, 2008
sahel lady:

I agree

i have to commend u, u did a great job explaining it to him logically. christianity is logical, even while spiritual it is logical. spirituality doesn't mean illogic and i wish ppl will see that.
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by sahellady: 2:18am On Dec 12, 2008
~Lady~:

i have to commend u, u did a great job explaining it to him logically. christianity is logical, even while spiritual it is logical. spirituality doesn't mean illogic and i wish people will see that.
Thank you i must commend u as well. I belive the same thing religon could be logical. that is the reason why i accept it. The early church fathers were intellectual they never shut off their brains it just that many people refuse to see that. For example Syriac fathers were mathematicians and well verse in the sciences. It was christianity that actaully preserved all pagan works. Christian nubia had one of the most highest literacy level in the christian world. It's just that today many of the "popular" representations of the faith(if they even deserve that title) make us look bad. Scholars like NT Wright or Ravi Zacharias aren't so popular to the masses. They are only well known in academia and universities , very sad
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Lady2(f): 6:28am On Dec 12, 2008
sahel lady:

Thank you i must commend u as well. I believe the same thing religon could be logical. that is the reason why i accept it. The early church fathers were intellectual they never shut off their brains it just that many people refuse to see that. For example Syriac fathers were mathematicians and well verse in the sciences. It was christianity that actaully preserved all pagan works. Christian nubia had one of the most highest literacy level in the christian world. It's just that today many of the "popular" representations of the faith(if they even deserve that title) make us look bad. Scholars like NT Wright or Ravi Zacharias aren't so popular to the masses. They are only well known in academia and universities , very sad

yes very sad indeed. what scholars don't know is that univerisities were started by monks and priests. The teaching styles that we have today were started by them. if only people knew.
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:00am On Dec 12, 2008
Hello girls, I quite disagree with your analysis. The man made a vow to God to give whatever comes out of his house as a burnt offering, that was the vow.
Jephtah won the battle and returned home. As he approached his house, his beloved only daughter ran out to meet him, which meant he had to sacrifice her to fulfill his promise. When she was told about the promise, she courageously accepted the fact that she must die. For two months before her death she went up into the mountains with her companions, where she lamented that she would never know married love, and never hold her children in her arms. She returned, and the vow was carried out.
Jephtah was a man from Giliad. His family background was not what it could have been - he was the illegitimate son of a prostitute.
Jephtah was a social outcast. The problem was made worse by his half-brothers, who ejected him from the family home. This meant he did not even have membership of the clan of his father.
Read Judges 1:1-11
In ancient Israel, belonging to a family clan was essential, since it was a person's main protection from danger. In times of trouble, the members of a clan could usually be depended on to stand by each other. The clan also acted as an economic unit, providing the food, clothing and shelter a person needed to survive. When Jephtah's brothers ejected him from their clan, they were effectively giving him something close to a death sentence.
Jephtah, however, was not beaten. He may have been an outcast, but he had exceptional talents as a leader and a fighter. Other outcasts gathered round him, so that in time he became the leader of a sizable group of men who were also without a clan. They lived outside the law, robbing trade caravans and raiding the herds of more law-abiding people.

When war broke out with the Ammonites, the leaders of Gilead went to Jephtah and his men and asked for help. They believed Jephtah had the skills to lead their army successfully against the Ammonites. Jephtah agreed to fight, because winning would make him a hero. It would wipe out the stain of his illegitimacy and give him full acceptance among the Israelites. It was this desire for acceptance that fueled his ambition, and under its influence he made a stupid and cruel vow.
'And Jephtah made a vow to the Lord, and said "If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the Lord's, to be offered up by me as a burnt offering".
In later times, the Israelites were horrified by the idea of human sacrifice and had strict teachings against it.
However, it may have existed in the early period of Jewish history. Examples include the stories of Abraham and Isaac, Jephtah's daughter, and the king of Moab's son in 2 Kings 3:27.When Jephtah returned victorious from the battle, he was greeted by women singers who went out to welcome him. They were led by his daughter.
'Then Jephtah came to his home at Mizpah; and there was his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and with dancing.'
This was a normal custom of the time, and Jephtah should have foreseen it. Women normally went out to greet returning military heroes with songs and poems. We know of this from other examples, including Miriam (Exodus 15:20) and the women who praised King David (1Samuel 18:6). Deborah's epic poem is an example of the type of song they sang.
When Jephtah saw his daughter and realized what he had done, he was distraught with grief, but immediately 'blamed the victim', reproaching his daughter for being the one whom he saw first, rather than blaming himself f
or the vow he had made.
'She was his only child; he had no son or daughter except her. When he saw her, he tore his clothes and said "Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low; you have become the cause of great trouble to me. For I have opened my mouth to the Lord, and I cannot take back my vow".
Blaming the victim is a common phenomenon in cases of domestic violence. Often too a woman who has been raped is blamed for 'bringing it on herself' or 'asking for it'.

When Jephtah's daughter heard of her father's vow, she responded with dignity and restrained anger. She accepted her fate, but on her own terms.
She said to him "My father, if you have opened your mouth to the Lord, do to me according to what has gone out of your mouth, now that the Lord has given you vengeance against your enemies, the Ammonites".'
Modern writers object to the daughter's passive acceptance of her death, wishing she had objected to her father's vow. But in the context of the times Jephtah had to sacrifice her, and she had to accept her fate. Her father made a promise on behalf of his people and he believed that God had accepted the promise, giving him victory in return. Now the promise had to be honored despite the terrible cost, and the daughter knew this too and accepted it.The daughter's real reaction to her fate is shown by what she did, not what she said. 'And she said to her father "Let this thing be done for me: grant me two months, so that I may go and wander on the mountains, and bewail my virginity, my companions and I".' She preferred to spend the last days of her life with her friends, not with the father whose ambition and foolish vow would cause her death. In these last days of her life, she wanted the company of those she could trust. With them, she mourned the fact that she would never achieve the goal of all Jewish women: to hold her own child in her arms.
Read Judges 11:37-40.
The exact method of her death is not known. If she was a burnt offering, she would have been first killed with a knife, and then her body burnt.
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by sahellady: 1:54pm On Dec 12, 2008
to Chrisboenogor.

You can disagree but i don't see any evidence u pull up to counter what we say with bibcal history or hebrew culture. All u are posting is your opinion. While ignoring what we say. What i posted was not my own analysis but what bibcal scholars say. Now lets take intro account the the judges period was one of israel worst periods .  The book of judges is very honest since it recorded everything bad that isrealites did(which is why the needed judges anyway). If jephtah killed his daiughter i would assure you he would of been klilled by people in the public esp the men who didn't like him. The israelites were very aggressive toward people who proform human sacrifices, they even killed people who was sympathetic to it. Human sacfrice or child sacfrice was apart of cananite culture which they considered to be evil. Many scholars say that during the judges period there is no evidence that Hebrew practice such a thing, anyone who did was killed. As we know jephtah wasn't killed and as a judge it would be imposible for him to break one of the central laws in sacrfice without being punish by God or the people. Like i said read the passage she was in sorrow over marriage not death. If death was the central theme the writter would have mention it. U have to read the bible like a jew not a post mordern man/woman. A jew would undesrtand that passage

Besides like i said animal sacrfices had to be male not female. So even if he wanted to he couldn't do it

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Lady2(f): 3:34pm On Dec 12, 2008
@ Chris

Reading your post, I notice you put your own opinion into instead of focusing on what it actually is. What Sahel and I bring is the history, culture and law of these people, not our own opinions.

In this instance we're the ones bringing the facts and you're the one bringing the opinion, weird huh?

The Bible cannot be looked at from one verse alone, that is why I constantly say don't take things out of context. Everything in the Bible ties together, unfortunately when people interpret the Bible they pick one verse and run with it, instead of looking at the bigger picture.
The bigger picture in this case being that Jephtah couldn't sacrifice his daughter evenif he wanted to, because as Sahel already said a sacrifice of burnt offering had to be male. So if this was a son, you're argument point may be considered, but the fact that she's male throws out of the question that she could have been used as a burnt offering. Also it is against the law that humans be used as a burnt offering, seeing that his daughter is human, that throws out your argument point again.

Point blank she couldn't have been used as a burnt offering. If he did use her as a burnt offering you would have known, since that is a law of God and he would have rejected the offering and punished him for breaking his law.

Another point you are trying to make is that God ordered the killing, not once did God speak in the passage.

So all the points you are trying to make doesn't make sense or add up.

But hey you already made up your mind. So it doesn't matter what Sahel and I say. You want to see what you want.
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:37pm On Dec 12, 2008
I admire the work you two are doing but I have seen nowhere where you have quoted bible scholars, you just say they said. Plus what makes you feel what I wrote was just my opinion? I gave you historical examples, tell me what will come out of a man's house to greet him after war in that time?
Since we disagree on a lot maybe we should see what we agree on.
Do you girls agree that the bible does not explicitly mention what happens to her?
All we are doing is infer what happened to his daughter.
Re: Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice by Lady2(f): 8:51pm On Dec 12, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

I admire the work you two are doing but I have seen nowhere where you have quoted bible scholars, you just say they said. Plus what makes you feel what I wrote was just my opinion? I gave you historical examples, tell me what will come out of a man's house to greet him after war in that time?
Since we disagree on a lot maybe we should see what we agree on.
Do you girls agree that the bible does not explicitly mention what happens to her?
All we are doing is infer what happened to his daughter.

lol, come o which historical examples did you present? I didn't present the works of scholars. I actually presented my knowledge of the Jewish people and their culture and law. Knowing their full culture and law, there was no way she was sacrificed as a burnt offering.

But I do agree the Bible does not explicitly state what happens to her, but with reasoning and knowledge of their culture and law it can be deduced that she was never given as a burnt offering.

You would have a better position if you said she was shot with an AK47. Plain and simple, what you are concluding could never have been.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Is Everyone Putting Jesus On Their Status?(pics) / What Is Happening In Churches? This Is Really Bad O. / Is It The Will Of God For Believers To Fall Sick?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.