Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,028 members, 7,956,820 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:57 PM

If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! (2624 Views)

Why Most Guys Don't Marry Their Girlfriends... / Don’t Marry Your Boyfriend If He Does These 4 Things / What Kind Of Guy Does This To His Girlfriend (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by tuzeriouz(m): 9:53pm On Dec 25, 2014
I remember writing a story about Halle Berry in college that included a mention of her abusive marriage. “Leave smoke” running away, she said at the time recounting her mother’s advice on handling men who mistreat women. For whatever reason, that quote always stuck with me especially as I learned of friends dealing with unhealthy relationships. Back then, I wondered why they stayed. But as I got older I began to understand, especially when I became one of those women who stayed waaaay past a relationship’s expiration date. And like many other women, I made excuses and didn’t know when enough was enough. Over time and with the help of friends and family who’ve been through similar situations, I learned the major deal breakers to look out for. Yes, we’re talking MAJOR.

Here are five red flags that give you the green light to walk away, even when you’re not 100 percent sure you’re doing the right thing. (Spoiler alert: You are.)

1. He gets violent, even if he doesn’t hit you.

You may think this is a no-brainer but honestly it isn’t. Most women I know who’ve been in abusive relationships have immense strength, only to shut down in the presence of her partner’s anger and violence. As a strong woman myself, I froze when a guy I’d been dating went into a rage one night, throwing things, damaging property and calling me names. I knew it was a deal breaker because even though he didn’t put his hands on me, he scared me. No healthy relationship can be built off a foundation of fear because you never know when his actions may escalate.

2. He cheats.

Many people will say this point is debatable because lots of couples who have fidelity issues repair their relationship and end up in a better than where they were pre-cheating. But it’s not the act of cheating that’s the deal breaker here; it’s the disrespect, broken trust and significant risk to your health. (Hello, STDS!) With all the risks that hang in the balance for just a tiny bit of pleasure, it’s entirely inconsiderate and selfish when a man cheats on you. Do you want someone who puts his wants before your needs, like security and trust? I don’t which is why I’ve said BYE to cheating men.

3. He doesn’t claim or proclaim you.

Many women will spend time in limbo-like relationships with guys who won’t give them the girlfriend title. Here’s the truth: If you’ve been dating a man for longer than six to nine months and he’s hasn’t made you an official part of his life, it’s time to MOVE ON. Stop making excuses for why things aren’t progressing to the next level; you’ll only waste time and your time is worth more than that. These days, I don’t settle for less because I don’t want a man who makes you a bargain-bin find. If he knows your worth, he’ll claim and proclaim you and there will be few conversations about how ‘he isn’t ready.’

4. He suffers from addiction.

There are plenty of honor badges to be earned by standing by your man when he’s fallen on hard times. But CAUTION if you stick with a man fighting demons, namely addiction. Addiction can range from less-severe, like cigarettes, to major issues such as drug, alcohol and sex. Someone who suffers from an addiction will do anything — and I mean anything — to get their fix, even at the expense of those they love. So unless you’d like to be second to whatever vices he has, it may be time to ‘leave smoke.’

5. He gaslights you.

We’ve spoken about gas-lighting, which is the manipulative act of someone attempting to change your memory or perception of events in their favor, making you feel crazy or like you’ve forgotten something. But when is gas-lighting a deal breaker, you ask? The answer is when it happens! A man who resorts to manipulative tactics to have his way or ‘win’ an argument will continue to play mind games and be dishonest with you. When I experienced gas-lighting in my relationships, I felt crazy and my self-esteem plummeted until I understood the game that was being played. Take advantage of the situation and leave immediately — it’s the best thing you can do for yourself.

culled from https://www.yahoo.com/style/if-your-guy-does-these-5-things-dont-marry-him-105446894973.html

1 Like

Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by Exjoker(m): 9:55pm On Dec 25, 2014
A man who does all this is not fit to be call human but a monster

1 Like

Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by DesChyko: 10:12pm On Dec 25, 2014
1 and 5 though..seem normal to me once in a while.
Just that you've succeeded in painting them all black. These two are purely human qualities.
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by iamodenigbo1(m): 10:13pm On Dec 25, 2014
copy copy
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by ShakurM(m): 10:25pm On Dec 25, 2014
DesChyko:
1 and 5 though..seem normal to me once in a while.
Just that you've succeeded in painting them all black. These two are purely human qualities.
Una no go hear word now ooo ! undecided. Kindly read 1&5 contents again.

1 Like

Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by Rapsodee(m): 10:38pm On Dec 25, 2014
All untrue except for cheating
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by chelseabmw(m): 10:54pm On Dec 25, 2014
undecided undecided
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by polosco(m): 11:01pm On Dec 25, 2014
No matter how careful you might be the only relationship that will work out fine is the one that has God, the author of marriage at the center of the family. Where the fear of God rules, and Christ is the center.

1 Like

Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by kelechiMarie(f): 12:51am On Dec 26, 2014
I just saw this on..Okayyyyy you put d source.
Anyway,i agree with most of the points.Say no to abusive relationships,abusive and manipulative people either male or female.
Biko life is too short
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by bright007(f): 1:54am On Dec 26, 2014
@OP...shey you be shim?..... or hermaphrodite? or gay
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by Nobody: 2:11am On Dec 26, 2014
tuzeriouz:
I remember writing a story about Halle Berry in college that included a mention of her abusive marriage. “Leave smoke” running away, she said at the time recounting her mother’s advice on handling men who mistreat women. For whatever reason, that quote always stuck with me especially as I learned of friends dealing with unhealthy relationships. Back then, I wondered why they stayed. But as I got older I began to understand, especially when I became one of those women who stayed waaaay past a relationship’s expiration date. And like many other women, I made excuses and didn’t know when enough was enough. Over time and with the help of friends and family who’ve been through similar situations, I learned the major deal breakers to look out for. Yes, we’re talking MAJOR.

Here are five red flags that give you the green light to walk away, even when you’re not 100 percent sure you’re doing the right thing. (Spoiler alert: You are.)

1. He gets violent, even if he doesn’t hit you.

You may think this is a no-brainer but honestly it isn’t. Most women I know who’ve been in abusive relationships have immense strength, only to shut down in the presence of her partner’s anger and violence. As a strong woman myself, I froze when a guy I’d been dating went into a rage one night, throwing things, damaging property and calling me names. I knew it was a deal breaker because even though he didn’t put his hands on me, he scared me. No healthy relationship can be built off a foundation of fear because you never know when his actions may escalate.

2. He cheats.

Many people will say this point is debatable because lots of couples who have fidelity issues repair their relationship and end up in a better than where they were pre-cheating. But it’s not the act of cheating that’s the deal breaker here; it’s the disrespect, broken trust and significant risk to your health. (Hello, STDS!) With all the risks that hang in the balance for just a tiny bit of pleasure, it’s entirely inconsiderate and selfish when a man cheats on you. Do you want someone who puts his wants before your needs, like security and trust? I don’t which is why I’ve said BYE to cheating men.

3. He doesn’t claim or proclaim you.

Many women will spend time in limbo-like relationships with guys who won’t give them the girlfriend title. Here’s the truth: If you’ve been dating a man for longer than six to nine months and he’s hasn’t made you an official part of his life, it’s time to MOVE ON. Stop making excuses for why things aren’t progressing to the next level; you’ll only waste time and your time is worth more than that. These days, I don’t settle for less because I don’t want a man who makes you a bargain-bin find. If he knows your worth, he’ll claim and proclaim you and there will be few conversations about how ‘he isn’t ready.’

4. He suffers from addiction.

There are plenty of honor badges to be earned by standing by your man when he’s fallen on hard times. But CAUTION if you stick with a man fighting demons, namely addiction. Addiction can range from less-severe, like cigarettes, to major issues such as drug, alcohol and sex. Someone who suffers from an addiction will do anything — and I mean anything — to get their fix, even at the expense of those they love. So unless you’d like to be second to whatever vices he has, it may be time to ‘leave smoke.’

5. He gaslights you.

We’ve spoken about gas-lighting, which is the manipulative act of someone attempting to change your memory or perception of events in their favor, making you feel crazy or like you’ve forgotten something. But when is gas-lighting a deal breaker, you ask? The answer is when it happens! A man who resorts to manipulative tactics to have his way or ‘win’ an argument will continue to play mind games and be dishonest with you. When I experienced gas-lighting in my relationships, I felt crazy and my self-esteem plummeted until I understood the game that was being played. Take advantage of the situation and leave immediately — it’s the best thing you can do for yourself.

culled from https://www.yahoo.com/style/if-your-guy-does-these-5-things-dont-marry-him-105446894973.html
nobody is perfect... Even u can be pain in d ass.
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by Nobody: 2:19am On Dec 26, 2014
Ma pipo! Am obsessed with DOGGYSTYLE. grin
pesin wey gbadu ma comment go hug chukuchuku.
But i think u guyz shud kno too
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by DesChyko: 7:31am On Dec 26, 2014
ShakurM:
Una no go hear word now ooo ! undecided. Kindly read 1&5 contents again.

Before I continue, I hope you acknowledged I posted 'once in a while'.

1. Imagine never expressing your anger at you woman. Always keeping it inside like a dumb monk. This is either a disaster waiting to happen or you'll raise for yourself, a wife with a spinster's freedom.

5. Every decision you make, you must involve your woman? Carry her along? Like dude, how real is this? There are even some major moves you make, you do it and tell her even three years later, letting her believe bladderdash all that while. It happens.

All in all, you're the man of the house. Even the woman expects him to be rock-solid at times, no matter how gentle or caring he is.
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by godwinkessi: 8:54am On Dec 26, 2014
Kk
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by ABEngine(m): 10:20am On Dec 26, 2014
Women deceiving themselves since 300B.C another pessimistic article to keep ladies unmarried in 2015, are you not a genius? All ladies are saints, right? Goodluck finding who hasn't got a taint. Check for grey hairs while at it

1 Like

Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by tuzeriouz(m): 6:13pm On Jan 01, 2015
iamodenigbo1:
copy copy

wat do u min by copy copy?
oh oooh u av refused to click d link.or may be ur nt eagle-eyed.
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by tuzeriouz(m): 6:27pm On Jan 01, 2015
bright007:
@OP...shey you be shim?..... or hermaphrodite? or gay

am straight! buh y dis ?
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by tol4biz(m): 10:27pm On Jan 01, 2015
ABEngine:
Women deceiving themselves since 300B.C another pessimistic article to keep ladies unmarried in 2015, are you not a genius? All ladies are saints, right? Goodluck finding who hasn't got a taint. Check for grey hairs while at it
u r definitely as real as I am
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 01, 2015
Okay he doesn't do any of them
Re: If Your Guy Does These 5 Things, DON'T Marry Him! by 100Cents: 2:12pm On Jan 02, 2015
Okay, I will dump him then...

(1) (Reply)

My Brother Must Not Marry Her / Share Ur Opinion. / I Saw The Most Good-looking Ethiopian Guy With His Girl Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.