Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,839 members, 7,817,480 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President (18461 Views)

Turkish President Stops His Motorcade To Talk Down Man Trying To Jump Off Bridge / Kuwaiti Jailed For 2 Years For Insulting Ruler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by Goddex: 3:39am On Dec 26, 2014
A 16-year-old high school student has been arrested in central Turkey for “insulting” President Recep Tayyip Erdogan by accusing him and his ruling party of corruption, sparking angry criticism on Thursday from the opposition.

The boy, identified by his initials M.E.A., was believed to be a member of a leftist organisation, the Hurriyet newspaper reported.

He delivered a speech on Wednesday in the central Anatolian city of Konya, a bastion of Erdogan’s Islamic-rooted Justice and Development Party (AKP), in memory of a young secular teacher killed by Islamists in 1930, according to the newspaper.
The boy, who was arrested by police at school, is now facing up to four years in prison if convicted on the charge.

It was the latest controversial arrest in Turkey in recent weeks. Recent police raids on media outlets affiliated with Erdogan’s top foe, the US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, sparked an angry exchange with the European Union, which said the arrests undermined media freedom.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu supported the court’s decision on the juvenile’s arrest.
“Everyone must respect the office of president whoever he is,” Davutoglu said, quoted in Turkish media.
In his testimony to prosecutors, the boy denied links with any political party and said that the local governor’s office granted permission for the commemoration ceremony organised through social media.

“I’ve made the statement in question. I have no intent to insult,” he reportedly said.
The boy’s lawyer, Baris Ispir, submitted a petition to the court, together with around 100 colleagues who came from Istanbul in a show of support.

“Even if he is convicted, he is 16 years old which requires a one-third reduction in his penalty,” the lawyer said, according to the private Dogan news agency.
Riza Turmen, lawmaker of the secular opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), denounced the arrest as a violation of the UN charter on children’s rights.
“Regimes taking children out of classes by police force and putting them in jail are fascist regimes,” Turmen, a former judge at the European Court of Human Rights, wrote on Twitter.

“This goes against the UN charter on children’s rights.”
Turkey’s government faced an unprecedented wave of protests in 2013 against what was seen as authoritarian policies from Erdogan, who was then prime minister.

The AKP government was shaken by a vast corruption scandal last December that dragged down four ministers facing accusations of bribery and influence-peddling.

Erdogan, who was elected president in August, angrily accused his former ally-turned-foe Gulen of concocting the graft scandal.

Thirty people were arrested in raids earlier this month against those deemed to have links to Gulen.
Most have now been released but a court has remanded in custody on terrorism charges the head of the pro-Gulen Samanyolu TV and three former police chiefs. It also issued an arrest warrant for Gulen himself.
In power since 2003, Erdogan has brought relative stability to Turkey after years of rocky coalition governments and an economic meltdown in 2001.

But what critics describe as his increasingly authoritarian style and zero-tolerance of criticism have proved a major test for democracy in the country which has long sought to join the European Union.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/16-year-old-student-arrested-insulting-president/?utm_source=&utm_medium=facebook

3 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by bright007(f): 3:45am On Dec 26, 2014
yes...i knew this thread will make front page. FTC....signs of good things to come
Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by Greyworld: 3:51am On Dec 26, 2014
You seehw dez muslims behave? Very aggressive set of pple, yet Nigerians av bin bashin GEJ in all sortof manner....... Dats 1 reason why I can't trust em (buhari) b4 e go arrest "us"

#islamisareligionofpeace

81 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by SirHouloo(m): 3:59am On Dec 26, 2014
How I wish this could be done in Nigeria where bigot, clueless has been the latest oyinbo in town. I feel our leaders deserves a bit of respect.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by golor(m): 4:11am On Dec 26, 2014
If Jonathan apply such power in 9ja,i swear he will arrest 40% of it citizen...some time i can't just hold bt to feel d pain of seeing some one fada receiving such insult....leadership is nt a one man business bt everybody's business.those insulting,if u should go to their family of 4,they re having problem every here and then,they can't lead their family but they re insulting some one who is leadin a whole nation.

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by mamajohn(f): 4:41am On Dec 26, 2014
SirHouloo:
How I wish this could be done in Nigeria where bigot, clueless has been the latest oyinbo in town. I feel our leaders deserves a bit of respect.
Are you serious at all! Do you respects a president who disrespects your destiny!
You must be high on rice and chicken!

41 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by Nobody: 4:44am On Dec 26, 2014
Greyworld:
You seehw dez muslims behave? Very aggressive set of pple, yet Nigerians av bin bashin GEJ in all sortof manner....... Dats 1 reason why I can't trust em (buhari) b4 e go arrest "us"

#islamisareligionofpeace
who tell u dem be muslims....
islam my yansh...

3 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by Daguccizgreat(m): 4:44am On Dec 26, 2014
This is one reason we must not allow buhari to rule naija again. Islam and oppression are synonymous...down here they rain unwarranted insults on gej just bc he is lenient....

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by SirHouloo(m): 4:46am On Dec 26, 2014
mamajohn:
Are you serious at all! Do you respects a president who disrespects your destiny!
You must be high on rice and chicken!

Aside the killings which I see as a mindset thing because the security up North is 50 times tighter than the south, I don't think our president deserve insults but prayers.

24 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by madridguy(m): 4:55am On Dec 26, 2014
This is problem of we African. I just imagined how this nation we move forward when we have allow religion sentiment to be our number one major concern. What is this gotten to do with Islam ? There are so many shootings going on now in the US, white cops killing Black teenager, no one is attaching that to any religion. Well, Allahumo aribu mon araba Islam.

8 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by mamajohn(f): 4:58am On Dec 26, 2014
SirHouloo:

Aside the killings which I see as a mindset thing because the security up North is 50 times tighter than the south, I don't think our president deserve insults but prayers.
Prayer! No, I'd rather pray against GEJ, he is a weakling President

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by mamajohn(f): 4:58am On Dec 26, 2014
SirHouloo:

Prayer! No, I'd rather pray against GEJ, he is a wicked President

5 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by SirHouloo(m): 4:59am On Dec 26, 2014
mamajohn:
Prayer! No, I'd rather pray against GEJ, he is a wicked President

How is he wicked?

1 Like

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by tit(f): 5:06am On Dec 26, 2014
SirHouloo:

How is he wicked?

President Jonathan does not allow her to eat nigeria people's money.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by cocoduck: 5:18am On Dec 26, 2014
Turkey changed from secular to religious as soon as Muslims rose to power, SMH

19 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by Nobody: 5:22am On Dec 26, 2014
SirHouloo:
For destroying the nation, abi? Yeye dey smell.

2 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by ShineuEye: 5:37am On Dec 26, 2014
Thanks to GEJ, it will never happen in Nigeria, this belong to our past. When Buhari was last head of state you were not allowed to criticize, Jonathan changed all that.
The days of Buhari decree number 4 is truly over.

43 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by mcfarlin(m): 5:43am On Dec 26, 2014
SirHouloo:

You are very funny!

Anyone who doesn't want to be insulted should avoid politics like a plague.

Chances are your decisions will be anathema to some groups of people....so you either face reality or back out!

3 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by mperoakeem(m): 5:45am On Dec 26, 2014
ShineuEye:
Thanks to GEJ, it will never happen in Nigeria, this belong to our past. When Buhari was last head of state you were not allowed to criticize, Jonathan changed all that.
r u serious or jst bored? U mean GEJ dat doesnt even knw wot's happenin unda his nose wil knw weda sumone criticize him
All he hears and knw is dat he's d 'jesus' of nigeria...wise up

5 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by ShineuEye: 5:45am On Dec 26, 2014
mcfarlin:

You are very funny!

Anyone who doesn't want to be insulted should avoid politics like a plague.

Chances are your decisions will be anathema to some groups of people....so you either face reality or back out!

Try telling that to buhari who hate criticism, do a google search for "buhari's decree 4".

4 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by ShineuEye: 5:47am On Dec 26, 2014
mperoakeem:
r u serious or jst bored? U mean GEJ dat doesnt even knw wot's happenin unda his nose wil knw weda sumone criticize him
And Buhari who always know when someone criticise him would just shoot us abi?
Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by mcfarlin(m): 5:50am On Dec 26, 2014
ShineuEye:

Try telling that to buhari who hate criticism, do a google search for "buhari's decree 4".

Twill be better if you post a link to the decree 4'

No sane leader should oppose criticism

If you are surrounded only by sycophants then you will feel sufficient in your nothingness

3 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by courage54(m): 5:51am On Dec 26, 2014
Any leader that does not want to be insulted should do what he/she was elected to do.

1 Like

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by mperoakeem(m): 5:51am On Dec 26, 2014
ShineuEye:

And Buhari who always know when someone criticise him would just shoot you us abi?
shock me, say sumtin intelligent...

3 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by ShineuEye: 5:52am On Dec 26, 2014
mcfarlin:

Twill be better if you post a link to the decree 4'

No sane leader should oppose criticism

If you are surrounded only by sycophants then you will feel sufficient in your nothingness

If you didn't know decree 4 existed under buhari, you really have no reason being in politics section.

15 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by omenka(m): 5:52am On Dec 26, 2014
Lol. Jonathanians are completely out of their depths on what to campaign with. It seems religious scaremongering is now the only thing they are left with.

I'm a true blue christian and I would give my vote a million times over to Buhari in the forth coming election. Even if the pope beatifies Jonathan tomorrow, he will not get my vote. cheesy

Islam this, islam that. Tell me something else.

9 Likes

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by Nobody: 5:54am On Dec 26, 2014
May God shield, protect and grant President Goodluck Jonathan victory. It shall be well with Nigeria under GEJ's governance.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by mcfarlin(m): 6:01am On Dec 26, 2014
ShineuEye:

If you didn't know decree 4 existed under buhari, you really have no reason being in politics section.

so you know everything about politics? undecided

Well empty barrels like yourself always make the loudest noise!
Re: 16yr Old Student Arrested For Insulting Turkish President by Chaleeee: 6:04am On Dec 26, 2014
Drafted on March 29,1984, Decree No. 4 was the most dreaded, most repressive and the last press law enacted in Nigeria. It was promulgated during the military regime of Major General Buhari which did not take kindly to press criticisms.

The law was drafted to punish authors of false statements and reports that exposed the Buhari administration and or its officials to ridicule or contempt.
Section 1, sub-sections (i), (ii) and (iii) of the law - the most formidable section - provided that:
Any person who publishes in any form, whether written or otherwise, any message,rumour, report or statement, being a message, rumour, statement or report which is false in any material particular or which brings or is calculated to bring the Federal Military Government or the Government of a state or public officer to ridicule or disrepute, shall be guilty of an offence under this Decree.

Any station for wireless telegraphy which conveys or transmits any sound or visual message, rumour, report or statement, being a message, rumour, report or statement which is false in any material particular or which brings or is calculated to bring the Federal Government or the Government of a state or a public officer to ridicule or disrepute, shall be guilty of an offence under this Decree.

It shall be an offence under this Decree for a newspaper or wireless telegraphy station in Nigeria to publish or transmit any message, rumour, report or statement which is false in any material particular stating that any public officer has in any manner been engaged in corrupt practices or has in any manner comiptly enriched himself or any other person {Gazette, 1984).

16 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

More Than 400 Detained In Russia As Country Mourns The Death Of Alexei Navalny / Bank Error Makes A US Man The World First Ever Trillionaire / Sahle-work Zewde Sworn In As First Female Ethiopia President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.