Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

9 Signs That You Are In A Toxic Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 9 Signs That You Are In A Toxic Relationship (1046 Views)

Signs That Show A Girl Is Secretly In Love With You / 9 Signs A Guy Has Never Had A Girlfriend / Warning Signs That Your Girl Doesn't Love You Anymore. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Signs That You Are In A Toxic Relationship by Samwhizzy(m): 8:07am On Dec 28, 2014
[img]http://2.bp..com/--On0H1NDcA4/VJ6sxf3yXcI/AAAAAAAACUI/b_LKHOTDFRk/s1600/TNMCoupleWomanArgueFrustratedFeature-586x260.jpg[/img]
[b]You know that feeling you get in your gut when you are deeply involved in a situation that just isn’t sitting well with your soul? It’s an unsettling feeling that tells you something needs to change, yet you find yourself holding on to the situation, ignoring what your gut is communicating loudly and clearly.

Typically that gut feeling is rarely wrong. It’s our body’s way of telling us things that we seem to be overlooking. A gut feeling that is ignored is sure to pop up again. So what does a bad gut feeling about a relationship mean? Simply put, it means that the relationship you’re in may be toxic and you should think about hitting the road if things don’t change drastically.

Toxic relationships are far too common when they shouldn’t be. People tend to stay in situations that don’t serve them well, sacrificing their happiness in exchange for a warm body to hold when they need affection. Misery sure seems like a high price to pay for some affection if you ask me. And sure, none of us are in perfect relationships and some moments with our mates leave us feeling frustrated, annoyed, and a straight up angry. But temporarily having a negative emotion is very different than being in a relationship that is consistently toxic.

So how do you know if the relationship you are in is toxic? It’s not that hard, really. The hard part is acknowledging the toxicity in your life and deciding that you deserve better and you want out.[/b]

Here are 9 signs that you are in a toxic relationship.

1. You don’t respect each other.
Respect is a two-way street. Whether you are being disrespected, or the one being disrespectful, the toxicity is surely present. Respect is the cornerstone of any healthy relationship. If you don’t have respect for each other, you shouldn’t be together.

2. There’s emotional or physical abuse.
Abuse has no place in a healthy relationship. It is never okay and it is never your fault. If you are being abused emotionally or physically, you have to find a way out. If you need help getting out of your relationship safely, contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline.

3. You’ve been cheated on multiple times.
I am all about forgiveness and second chances, but when someone shows you time and time again that they have no intentions of honoring their commitment to you, you should move on and find a person who will keep their word and treat you the way you deserve to be treated.

4. Someone is always angry.
There are few things more toxic than unmanaged anger. If someone in the relationship is always angry, they have to work on the issues behind the anger before it destroys everything in its path.

5. You feel like the love you get comes with multiple conditions.
If someone truly loves you, you shouldn’t feel like they are always placing conditions on their love for you. If they are only able to love you under certain circumstances or if you do certain things, their love for you is not genuine.

6. There is dirty fighting going on.
All couples disagree at times, but when your disagreements turn into full blown fighting matches with nastiness being exchanged and people hitting below the belt, you are in an unhealthy situation.

7. You’re the secret lover.
If someone is with you but is keeping you a secret, please run. You shouldn’t have to play such games, and starting your relationship off on a negative note definitely sets the tone for what you should expect down the line.

8. You act different in your mate’s presence.
You should feel free to be your authentic self at all times. If you act completely different around your mate than you do around your friends and family, it’s a red flag you shouldn’t ignore.

9. Your gut tells you that you deserve better.
Your gut is rarely wrong. If you feel like you are in a toxic relationship and that you deserve better, you are probably right. Don’t ignore that gut feeling. It’s there for a reason.

Nairalanders, Have you ever left a toxic relationship? How did you know it was time to get out?

Lets hear you!
Source: http://www.lifestyleng.com/2014/12/9-signs-that-you-are-in-toxic.html
Re: 9 Signs That You Are In A Toxic Relationship by LogoDWhiz(m): 8:24am On Dec 28, 2014
Hmm! Toxic indeed!

Well I haven't encountered such before but I've seen this signs in friends' relationship.

Thanks for this OP.

U didn't add this!

When the opposite sex most especially female, keeps nagging. Can be frustrating.

1 Like

Re: 9 Signs That You Are In A Toxic Relationship by Samwhizzy(m): 10:49pm On Jan 01, 2015
LogoDWhiz:
Hmm! Toxic indeed!

Well I haven't encountered such before but I've seen this signs in friends' relationship.

Thanks for this OP.

U didn't add this!

When the opposite sex most especially female, keeps nagging. Can be frustrating.

Thanks for the contribution.
Re: 9 Signs That You Are In A Toxic Relationship by seunpayne(m): 12:16am On Jan 02, 2015
just got out of one and it feels like I just woke up from a nightmare. Serial cheater was what she was. smh

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mystery Caller Causing Havoc To My Relationship / Important Message To Guys That Womanize / Trust Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.