Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,983 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Why There Can't Be Evidence For God - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why There Can't Be Evidence For God (12802 Views)

Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? / Fulfilled Prophecies: Evidence For The Reliability Of The Bible / The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by joseph1832(m): 6:37am On Jan 01, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Happy new year!.

Thanks for taking time to explain the misunderstanding that sinequanon has with facts. I couldn't have said it better.

I honestly doubt that SQ went to Cambridge. Maybe he went to Kemibridge in Ekiti because his statements portray an unsophisticated philosopher
Hmm
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:12am On Jan 01, 2015
joseph1832:
Hmm

Wat?
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 01, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Happy new year!.

Thanks for taking time to explain the misunderstanding that sinequanon has with facts. I couldn't have said it better.

I honestly doubt that SQ went to Cambridge. Maybe he went to Kemibridge in Ekiti because his statements portray an unsophisticated philosopher
Wish you the same.
Lol.
It's one thing to be a graduate,it's another thing to be educated.

5 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by RikoduoSennin(m): 8:47am On Jan 03, 2015
Pr0ton:

So I was pondering on this verse about faith i.e Hebrews 11:1. Soon I began to realize the implausibility of any EVIDENCE/PROOF for God as long as FAITH is involved. Here are some translations of Hebrews 11:1

GOD'S WORD® Translation

Faith assures us of things we expect and convinces us of the existence of things we cannot see.

King James Bible
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

New International Version
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

International Standard Version
Now faith is the assurance that what we hope for will come about and the "certainty" that what we cannot see exists.

So I began to realize why John and Paul emphasize on faith in other to have any connection with God. They also knew that there could not be any proof for God's existence. The existence of God should be accepted by faith.

Can you have the word "EVIDENCE", "ASSURANCE", "CERTAINTY" in a sentence and their is no proof of Bible Faith linked to them?

Can someone be certain/ Assured of a Matter without any Proof/Evidence to back that up.

Though we can't see God but Creation gives EVIDENCE That he Exist!

Pr0ton:

Trying to know more on faith, I looked it up on Wikipedia and I got this:

"Faith is defined as confidence or trust in a being, object, living organism, deity, view, or in the doctrines or teachings of a religion, as well as confidence based ON NO scientific, plausible, testable, demonstrable evidence whatsoever.

The Above defination of Faith refers to the NON-BIBLICAL MEANING OF THE WORD "FAITH" .
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 10:02am On Jan 03, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

Can you have the word "EVIDENCE", "ASSURANCE", "CERTAINTY" in a sentence and their is no proof of Bible Faith linked to them?

Can someone be certain/ Assured of a Matter without any Proof/Evidence to back that up.

I can make myself believe I have a guardian angel who will always help me when I'm in trouble. I can make it up. I can be sure of it. I can make myself feel certain he does go everywhere with me. I can root all my faith and believe in him. But I can not prove to anyone he exists. Just as plaetton said, his existence is in my head, and my head only. Get it?

Though we can't see God but Creation gives EVIDENCE That he Exist!

Childish! How does creation give you the evidence? Look up at the sky. What do you see?? You mean you can see a label like "I am created by the Christian God"?? Huh?? Does the sun tell you that? No! The existence of a Creator comes from human assumption, faith! And that's pretty childish!

The Above defination of Faith refers to the NON-BIBLICAL MEANING OF THE WORD "FAITH" .

Your Bible shouldn't use the word "faith" then if it means another thing other than the true meaning of religious faith!

3 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by theunusualmoon(m): 2:21pm On Jan 03, 2015
Pr0ton can you tell me how you are able to ascertain that your spouse truly loves you?
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 4:13pm On Jan 03, 2015
theunusualmoon:
Pr0ton can you tell me how you are able to ascertain that your spouse truly loves you?

You are entirely on a different line bro.

1 Like

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by sinequanon: 4:29pm On Jan 03, 2015
Pr0ton:
I can make myself believe I have a guardian angel who will always help me when I'm in trouble. I can make it up. I can be sure of it. I can make myself feel certain he does go everywhere with me. I can root all my faith and believe in him. But I can not prove to anyone he exists. Just as plaetton said, his existence is in my head, and my head only. Get it?

Yes you can.

"Prove something" means "convince people about that thing".

You may not be able to convince everybody, or even many people, but that doesn't mean that you cannot convince some people.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by plaetton: 5:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Happy new year!.

grin
A beg, where can I get the application for Kemi-bridge in Ekiti? I hope they offer scholarships too.

2 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by theunusualmoon(m): 5:12pm On Jan 03, 2015
Pr0ton:

You are entirely on a different line bro.
You need to answer my question before you can confidently say that.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by plaetton: 5:13pm On Jan 03, 2015
sinequanon:

Yes you can.

You may not be able to convince everybody, or even many people, but that doesn't mean that you cannot convince some people.
For a long time now, I have been trying to convince people that the 3rd mainland bridge in Lagos is my family property that I need to sell to raise chop money.
But so far, no takers.

So, do you think the bridge would rightfully become mine if I happen to convince a few olodos?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by sinequanon: 5:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
plaetton:

For a long time now, I have been trying to convince people that the 3rd mainland bridge in Lagos is my family property that I need to sell to raise chop money.
But so far, no takers.

So, do you think the bridge would rightfully become mine if I happen to convince a few olodos?

I have told you that rhetoric is not a rational mode of debate.

If you have a point, try to phrase it rationally, and directly, addressing the issue.

By "rightfully", I assume you mean "by law"?

For the "3rd Mainland Bridge in Lagos" to "rightfully" become yours is a question of law in which you would have to convince a judge, or a number of judges.

There I have answered your question as if it were direct and worthy of respect. Are you now going to tell me it is "humour/sarcasm/blah...blah...blah", so that nobody can ever rely on this rational mode of discussion you claim to have?
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 6:16pm On Jan 03, 2015
sinequanon:

Yes you can.

Except observable and testable evidence is involved, it's not a proof.

1 Like

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 6:19pm On Jan 03, 2015
theunusualmoon:

You need to answer my question before you can confidently say that.

Through her actions undecided
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by theunusualmoon(m): 6:26pm On Jan 03, 2015
Pr0ton:

Through her actions undecided
And what kind of actions might this be?
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by sinequanon: 6:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
Pr0ton:
Except observable and testable evidence is involved, it's not a proof.

"If you pray, you will succeed in life". You can produce observABLE and testABLE evidence for this. But different people will interpret the evidence differently.

You may not like some people's interpretations of the observABLE and testABLE evidence, and they may not like yours. You may prefer another explanations for why Mr. Fitzmolars succeeded in life. But, just because you disagree with his interpretation of the evidence doesn't mean it wasn't "observABLE" or "testABLE".
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:14pm On Jan 03, 2015
plaetton:

grin
A beg, where can I get the application for Kemi-bridge in Ekiti? I hope they offer scholarships too.

smiley grin

1 Like

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Weah96: 12:48am On Jan 04, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

Yes. That is what Hebrews 11 is saying. Read your bible very well. FAITH itself is the evidence. So there is evidence, just not the kind that human beings use in reality and daily life.

1 Like

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by RikoduoSennin(m): 8:57am On Jan 04, 2015
Pr0ton:

Well, that is a wrong perception of Bible Faith!
Abraham is called the "Father of Faith"- he did not have blind Faith/ the kind of Faith you describe.: Hebrew 11:17-19 --- He has a good reason/evidence to believe God can bring his son back to life because at 100 years of Age he had a son of the promise.

Give me one example of bible patriach that has/display BLIND FAITH.

Pr0ton:

Childish! How does creation give you the evidence? Look up at the sky. What do you see?? You mean you can see a label like "I am created by the Christian God"?? Huh?? Does the sun tell you that? No! The existence of a Creator comes from human assumption, faith! And that's pretty childish!

I have neither seen nor heard about the makers of my Rolex watch: That doesn't mean they don't exist, Why, because my Rolex watch exists and it can't come by chance, and that is enough for me to know that someone exist who made it.

THE EARTH IS PERFECT FOR LIFE IS PROOF ENOUGH FOR ME THAT GOD EXIST.

Pr0ton:

Your Bible shouldn't use the word "faith" then if it means another thing other than the true meaning of religious faith!

Have you heard of "Registers", I am sure you have. Football, Law, Medicines have their own Registers. So too Religion has theirs. You can't use the general definition on it: Have you notice different definition for a particular word in a dictionary?
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by RikoduoSennin(m): 9:00am On Jan 04, 2015
Weah96:

Yes. That is what Hebrews 11 is saying. Read your bible very well. FAITH itself is the evidence. So there is evidence, just not the kind that human beings use in reality and daily life.

Please give me an Example of this kind of Faith/Evidence from the Bible because I really don't understand you post/comment above.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Weah96: 12:05pm On Jan 04, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

Please give me an Example of this kind of Faith/Evidence from the Bible because I really don't understand you post/comment above.

Human beings that walk on the ocean without wearing any flotation device. Where is your precedent for believing that story?

Abraham and co. lived to be hundreds of years old. How did you forget that part? How do human beings live to be 1000 years old with these our weak bodies? What have you seen in life that makes you realize that the story is true?

2 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by RikoduoSennin(m): 12:56pm On Jan 04, 2015
Weah96:

Human beings that walk on the ocean without wearing any flotation device. Where is your precedent for believing that story?

Abraham and co. lived to be hundreds of years old. How did you forget that part? How do human beings live to be 1000 years old with these our weak bodies? What have you seen in life that makes you realize that the story is true?

Now, I saw give me AN EXAMPLE OF BLIND FAITH in the Bible and you are questioning my Faith/Beliefs. Those are two different things- we are not of my Faith/beliefs , WE ARE TALKING ABOUT EXAMPLES OF FAITH IN THE BIBLE/THE KIND OF FAITH BIBLE CHARACTERS DISPLAYED.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christ Angel and some other illutionist/Magicians with their spiritism can walk on water---Research that at your own peril.

The capacity of the human brain, the ability of the human cells to copy, replicate and replaced itself, and complete trust of what is written in the bible (Because a lot of things in it, is simply true and extraordinary)
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Weah96: 4:06pm On Jan 04, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

Now, I saw give me AN EXAMPLE OF BLIND FAITH in the Bible and you are questioning my Faith/Beliefs. Those are two different things- we are not of my Faith/beliefs , WE ARE TALKING ABOUT EXAMPLES OF FAITH IN THE BIBLE/THE KIND OF FAITH BIBLE CHARACTERS DISPLAYED.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christ Angel and some other illutionist/Magicians with their spiritism can walk on water---Research that at your own peril.

The capacity of the human brain, the ability of the human cells to copy, replicate and replaced itself, and complete trust of what is written in the bible (Because a lot of things in it, is simply true and extraordinary)

The bible is fictional. Asking me to give you an example of someone from a fictional book is like asking me to write a book report. We're talking about faith here, and you claim that it is based on materials, and isn't necessarily blind.

That's why I asked you to show me why you believe that human beings can walk on water. What have you seen in everyday life which makes you believe that human beings can walk on the ocean? Kris Angel is a magician who isn't claiming to defy the laws of nature. He's good at making your brain think that the laws of nature are being nullified.

4 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by RikoduoSennin(m): 7:58pm On Jan 04, 2015
Weah96:

The bible is fictional. Asking me to give you an example of someone from a fictional book is like asking me to write a book report. We're talking about faith here, and you claim that it is based on materials , and isn't necessarily blind.

I did not say the bolded, I said Biblical faith is based on evidence simple. I gave an example of Abraham, you ignored it. I asked you to give an example, you ignored it also. So let's just drop it, it is Fiction to you but not to billions of people whether you like it all not.

Weah96:

That's why I asked you to show me why you believe that human beings can walk on water. What have you seen in everyday life which makes you believe that human beings can walk on the ocean? Kris Angel is a magician who isn't claiming to defy the laws of nature. He's good at making your brain think that the laws of nature are being nullified.

Well Jesus is not just any human being, is he now?
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by johnw74: 5:32am On Jan 05, 2015
Having faith - believing in God without a doubt when you cannot prove He exists, is proof that faith is God given.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

If you don't believe without doubt, then get serious.
Seek (Truth - Jesus) and you will find.

Mat 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mat 7:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by RikoduoSennin(m): 7:46am On Jan 05, 2015
johnw74:

Having faith - believing in God without a doubt when you cannot prove He exists , is proof that faith is God given.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

If you don't believe without doubt, then get serious.
Seek (Truth - Jesus) and you will find.

Mat 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mat 7:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

The bolded section is wrong, You can't have Biblical faith without believing that he exist WITH EVIDENCE TO BACK YOUR BELIEVE. (Hebrew 11:6; Romans 1:20)

The bible and Creation is proof that God exist, only ignorant once do not see the proof. But they have no excuse.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Weah96: 11:45am On Jan 05, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

I did not say the bolded, I said Biblical faith is based on evidence simple. I gave an example of Abraham, you ignored it. I asked you to give an example, you ignored it also. So let's just drop it, it is Fiction to you but not to billions of people whether you like it all not.

Well Jesus is not just any human being, is he now?

Are you a bible character or are you a believer? I have honest believers here who aren't ashamed to speak the truth. They tell me that the basis of their belief is blind faith. You on the other hand, disagree, preferring to point to Rolls Royces and the new moons as your evidence that humans beings can dance on the surface of the ocean.

The bible contains many examples of blind faith but the most popular one is the example of doubting Thomas from John 20.

John 20:29

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed.

Here we see that Jesus has special blessings for people who believe things without material evidence, like you. You picked up a book and believed the incredulous things written inside, even though they do not have corresponding illustrations in nature.

2 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by RikoduoSennin(m): 8:50pm On Jan 05, 2015
Weah96:

Are you a bible character or are you a believer?[B] I have honest believers here who aren't ashamed to speak the truth. They tell me that the basis of their belief is blind faith. [/b] You on the other hand, disagree, preferring to point to Rolls Royces and the new moons as your evidence that humans beings can dance on the surface of the ocean.

You said it, THEIR BELIEF is blind Faith and you believe them, then believe me when I tell you THAT MY FAITH/BELIEF IS NOT BASED ON BLIND FAITH.

Weah96:

The bible contains many examples of blind faith but the most popular one is the example of doubting Thomas from John 20.

You mean MANY SUPPOSED Examples of blind faith.

Weah96:

John 20:29

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed.

Here we see that Jesus has special blessings for people who believe things without material evidence, like you. You picked up a book and believed the incredulous things written inside, even though they do not have corresponding illustrations in nature.

Some men did not see the resurrected Jesus in person but belief, is that what you called blind faith?

Do they have reasons to believe Jesus resurrection, YES!

1) More than 500 persons saw Jesus after he resurrected.

2) The 120 christians would not have received the Holy spirit without Jesus being resurrected.

3) The soldiers guiding Jesus' tomb could not explain what happen to his body. (Saying his disciples took him without confrontation is plain bull, since that was the main reason they were there).

4) Everybody in that room, who saw Jesus could not all have been liars like Thomas thought.

5) The disciples would not have preached with so much zeal that the message was spread to the entire inhabited Earth if Jesus did not rise up from the grave and they saw him.

So even if person's like the Gentiles did not see Jesus in person, they believed the Apostles on account of the Miraculous things (Evidence) they did in Jesus name.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by johnw74: 1:39am On Jan 06, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

The bolded section is wrong, You can't have Biblical faith without believing that he exist WITH EVIDENCE TO BACK YOUR BELIEVE. (Hebrew 11:6; Romans 1:20)

The bible and Creation is proof that God exist, only ignorant once do not see the proof. But they have no excuse.

RikoduoSennin, the bolded part is not wrong, it is part of the verse. I bolded it to show that the gift of faith comes from God.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 8:48am On Jan 06, 2015
sinequanon:

"If you pray, you will succeed in life". You can produce observABLE and testABLE evidence for this. But different people will interpret the evidence differently.

There isn't any credit to give to that since the observable and testable evidence are not general/universal when coming to a conclusion.

The one that's creditable is the one that comes to a general/universal conclusion, not the one that differs and causes confusion.

You may not like some people's interpretations of the observABLE and testABLE evidence, and they may not like yours. You may prefer another explanations for why Mr. Fitzmolars succeeded in life. But, just because you disagree with his interpretation of the evidence doesn't mean it wasn't "observABLE" or "testABLE".

The same thing applies here. Scientific observations are general with no different interpretation. And that's what separates science from belief.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by RikoduoSennin(m): 8:50am On Jan 06, 2015
johnw74:

RikoduoSennin, the bolded part is not wrong, it is part of the verse. I bolded it to show that the gift of faith comes from God.

I quoted your comment, highlighted/bold a section of your previous post.

The section that said "When you cannot prove he exist" is wrong.

We can prove the existed of God that's why we have faith. Can you put you faith in a man whom you don't know if he exist?
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 10:00am On Jan 06, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

Well, that is a wrong perception of Bible Faith!
Abraham is called the "Father of Faith"- he did not have blind Faith/ the kind of Faith you describe.: Hebrew 11:17-19 --- He has a good reason/evidence to believe God can bring his son back to life because at 100 years of Age he had a son of the promise.

Give me one example of bible patriach that has/display BLIND FAITH.

Now I don't argue when biased fairytales are introduced.

[qoute] I have neither seen nor heard about the makers of my Rolex watch: That doesn't mean they don't exist, Why, because my Rolex watch exists and it can't come by chance, and that is enough for me to know that someone exist who made it.[/quote]

Good. And what you do next is start worshipping the maker of the watch, right?

THE EARTH IS PERFECT FOR LIFE IS PROOF ENOUGH FOR ME THAT GOD EXIST.

You have your reasons for believing the maker of your watch exists. Why? Because you already have the knowledge that wrist watch are createable. They can't just come by chance. You accept it as fact that there must indeed be a maker of that watch, as such is the normal thing in our world.

You haven't heard that anyone has created the earth before. It's not createable. We all met it here. We accept it to be natural. There is no reason to believe it was created, as such never happen in our world. We only make up the idea of a Creator on the ground of no evidence in the sense that such kind of creation has never been observed. The Creator doesn't tell you he/she/it created it. The creation doesn't have any label of manufacturer whatsoever, unlike your Rolex watch that has a trade mark. All these are called nature. Believing the opposite is based on childish blind faith!

Have you heard of "Registers", I am sure you have. Football, Law, Medicines have their own Registers. So too Religion has theirs. You can't use the general definition on it: Have you notice different definition for a particular word in a dictionary?

Yh.. For example, "note" in the dictionary means the following:

- a short piece of writing to help you remember something.

- a piece of paper money.

- a single sound of a particular length and pitch made by the voice or a musical instrument.

- a particular quality in something.

The actual meaning of note can be understood in the context where it's used. When I use note in music only one of those definitions goes with it. The note in music is different from the note in currency.

Going by that, then only one religion is right. Since each religion presents God in a way different from other religion, then 99 in 100 of them don't serve the Creator, even though they would defend their religion to death. That's serious!

And again, they are all wrong. How? Taking the note in currency term for example, if the note exists there'll be a general conclusive feature about it. God in religion term doesn't exist because there isn't such general conclusive feature.

Taking a car for another clear example, we can all agree on anything about it. It has two side mirrors, four black tyres etc. If it doesn't exist there'll be confusion about its features because they don't exist!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Bible Describes 'Jesus' As Black, So Why Do Our Churches Depict A White Man? / Forces Like Police, Soldier, Navy Etc Has No Place In Heaven / The Corona Virus Has Shown How Christianity And Islam Have Failed Humanity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.