Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,350 members, 7,819,250 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Advice On Long Distance Journey - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice On Long Distance Journey (20324 Views)

Ladies What Is The Longest Distance You Have Driven A Car? / Which Vehicle Do You Prefer For Long Distance Journey Within Nigeria And Why? / V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by wedeonline(m): 4:03pm On Mar 02, 2015
I think driving has a lot to do with your mind.. Control your nerves and u would do well. But for starters u can try to maintain an average speed.. Let's say max 80km/h, as u continually do interstate driving, u would master all the skills.. Cheers bro.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by 9icetoo(m): 4:04pm On Mar 02, 2015
1. Take up car to a decent mechanic and have him look it over properly especially the wheels and suspension. If you have heard or noticed any funny noises, have him investigate that as well.
2. Visit a tire shop and perform wheel balancing and alignment. Make sure it done properly and inflate your tires to the recommended pressure (you will find this somewhere around the door or in your manual). Equally make sure your tires are not too old or worn out. If you can see cracks in the tire, it is probably time to change it. Check your spare as well.
3. Buy and stock up on light snacks and fluids to keep hunger at bay during the journey unless you know a decent restaurant you can use without risking food poisoning on your way. (having a running stomach on a long trip is the last thing you want).
4. If you are big on music, now is the time to sort out your play list or burn your favourite tracks for the trip into a CD. You do not want to be changing cds while on the road. It is a serious distraction that has led even experienced drivers to their demise.
5. Pack whatever you will be travelling with a night before and sleep very well. I mean real deep uninterrupted long sleep.
6. Check your car fluids on the day of the journey. Check oil level, water/coolant level, transmission fluid level and brake fluid level. This is an opportunity to check your tires again.
7. Check your car documents and make sure they are complete and up to date. You will surely encounter police/frsc along the way. Make sure all your bulbs are working and you have your spanner, jack, safety triangle, tow rope and fire extinguisher. Don't forget your drivers licence.
8. When you have done all of these and finally hit the road, drive sensibly and drive with the mindset that all other drivers are crazy (trust me, a lot of them are). Be confident. Maintain at a distance of at least two car lengths between you and the car in front of you to give yourself ample reaction time. Never go above 100km/hr. Don't drive too slowly either or you will become a hazard to other road users who might land themselves and you in trouble while trying to overtake the convoy you would have created with your snail speed. Never get distracted by anything not even a conversation. Stay focused always. And in case of a blowout or any loud sound, never ever step on the brakes until the car has slowed down to at least 60km/hr.
9. Never stop in an open. Drive to a filling station (a working one) and stop unless you have a breakdown and your car can't make it to a fuel station like above mentioned.
10. Leave early enough if the journey is a long one and make sure you have your route mapped out ahead. If you must return to your point of departure on the same day, it's a good idea to depart early as well. Do not drive at night. It is very risky.
11. If you can get someone to accompany you, that will be great.
12. Come back here and tell us all about your journey.
Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 02, 2015
ask4bk:

shocked shocked 150 Miles per hour? You sure you don't mean kilometers per hour (kph)?

Are u doing formular 1? Oh boy, i doubt Abeg

You are free to exhibit any emotions of your choice.

150 MPH, but my cars are not the typical POS unmaintained specimens though.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 5:53pm On Mar 02, 2015
CityNG:

You are free to exhibit any emotions of your choice.

150 MPH, but my cars are not the typical POS unmaintained specimens though.
So you drive 150 MPH?

150 MPH is equivalent to an excess of 230 Km/h.

Okay o.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Raymie(m): 6:10pm On Mar 02, 2015
IMHO, I don't really see any difference between both intra and intercity driving as long as driving rules are adhered to. Methinks intercity driving is a whole lot easier cause its basically a straight path almost all through and there are much fewer distractions to contend with than in the town. What causes most of the accidents we observe in intercity roads can be termed to lower/exxagerrated alertness+increased speeds, something urban driving usually does not allow for. @OP, if yhur car is in as good as yhu put it, then I advise that yhu maintain the alertness yhu have while driving in town and resist the urge to speed beyond yhur capabilities. And don't play Enya, Yanni, Nana Mouskouri or any worship songs till yhu get to yhur destination.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by donbabade: 7:11pm On Mar 02, 2015
I can't get into argument with u. Remember u re a Mad Goat.
Ewu ghambia
madgoat:

Sounds more like u are drunk on cheap alcohol grin
Mumu wey no sabi anything. I bet you dnt even know how to drive. All diz small dudes just ranting on NL and trying to feel among.
Oga go and learn driving before u comment on this thread.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 02, 2015
0rex:

So you drive 150 MPH?

150 MPH is equivalent to an excess of 230 Km/h.

Okay o.

I just told you I did.

The question I have for you is why do you continue to act surprised?

Sir, you can get to that level of car if you work hard at it.

I don't live full time in Nigeria so I can tell on which road you'll do that speed safely.

Stop arguing with reality and go work on your game.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 8:10pm On Mar 02, 2015
CityNG:

I don't live full time in Nigeria so I can tell on which road you'll do that speed safely.

Stop arguing with reality and go work on your game.
Were you racing?

If not, please tell me such roads and the prescribed speed limits.

While high speed driving thrills, many people decide to cut down on their speed not because they are cowards or idiots in need of 'upping their game' but because they have a sense of responsibility to their friends, family & other road users.

No matter how wide & good a road is, don't you think driving above 230kmph is excessive?
You might be an expert but what about other road users?

Please drive safe.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 02, 2015
0rex:

Were you racing?

If not, please tell me such roads and the prescribed speed limits.

While high speed driving thrills, many people decide to cut down on their speed not because they are cowards or idiots in need of 'upping their game' but because they have a sense of responsibility to their friends, family & other road users.

No matter how wide & good a road is, don't you think driving above 230kmph is excessive?
You might be an expert but what about other road users?

Please drive safe.

Your whole ideology is idiotic and baseless.

I don't answer to you so I owe you no further explanation dimwit.

Save your bullshit preaching for another userid. All I can do is repeat my advice to you of working on your game instead of being a net nanny.

Pollock.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 8:37pm On Mar 02, 2015
CityNG:

Your whole ideology is idiotic and baseless.

I don't answer to you so I owe you no further explanation dimwit.

Save your bullshit preaching for another userid.

Pollock.
Just as expected.
Too full of themselves, they think they know all & don't just cause themselves pain ultimately but other people as well.
A public forum is not for senseless people like you, an international disgrace to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 9:14pm On Mar 02, 2015
Messrs Orex and cityNG, pls calm down.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 9:20pm On Mar 02, 2015
lomomike:
I apologize Moderator. I was just disgusted by how cityNG replied my rather harmless & respectful reply to his comment.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 02, 2015
lomomike:

Apologies Mike, self serving dweebs like Orex just piss me off with their meddling.

How's your side Oga, any chance you're in Ibadan so we can down a few beers?
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 9:49pm On Mar 02, 2015
grin ...smh.
Anyways... peace.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 9:53pm On Mar 02, 2015
0rex:

Just as expected.
Too full of themselves, they think they know all & don't just cause themselves pain ultimately but other people as well.
A public forum is not for senseless people like you, an international disgrace to Nigeria.

Thank you for the compliments and well wishes grin
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 10:35pm On Mar 02, 2015
0rex:

I apologize Moderator. I was just disgusted by how cityNG replied my rather harmless & respectful reply to his comment.

Its okay.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 10:39pm On Mar 02, 2015
CityNG:

Apologies Mike, self serving dweebs like Orex just piss me off with their meddling.

How's your side Oga, any chance you're in Ibadan so we can down a few beers?

Wow! So quick your in Ibadan, unfortunately I left Ibadan for Abuja. I'll be back in Ibadan after all these when I'm done with a project I want to undertake.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by madgoat(m): 11:30pm On Mar 02, 2015
donbabade:
I can't get into argument with u. Remember u re a Mad Goat.
Ewu ghambia

Consume less cheap alcohol den come here to comment grin
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by earthrealm(m): 10:15am On Mar 05, 2015
230km or 150miles per hr is possible and doable in germany...on thier autobahns..there is no speed limit n the rd is wide n smooth

At poster...if with 7 yrs driving u r still s cared of the highway..something is very very wrong....2 to 3 wks after finishing my driving lesson..i did ph owerri n back....i believed i cud do it..so i didnt tell anyone b4 the trip..cos they would hv talked fear into me n dis co u raged me......they said i was crazy when they knew....
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by mctowel01: 6:37pm On May 21, 2017
oladipoolaitan:
Just two month old with driving experience , then I drove down to lagos from Zaria successfully. It js jst a state of mind and carefulness. I break d journey though, like from Zaria to Abuja, I wait small , den from Abuja to lokoja, then to okene till I reach lagos.
How did you naturally know the routes and where to turn?
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by SegaWarrior: 2:09pm On Dec 13, 2023
d33types:
I haven't driven upto 6 hours straight before, especially on the highways.I have the strength and will though.

The anxiety is fear for the stability/durability of my car.It's a Honda accord 97 which has never given me headaches: no overheating, brakes, transmission or "legs" issues.I religiously do regular maintenance.I have this fear that this car that rarely disappoints will do when I travel

please, I need the house to guide with with a checklist of what I need to do on my car so as to have a successful journey.long distance drivers..especially.thanks alot.

cc;lomomike,siena,ikenna,gazzuz,cityng and other gurus
Pls how did you eventually end it, and how was your experience, I'm in similar situation to yours now, I'm planning on travelling to Kano State from Abuja this Holiday on my personal car. Though I have driven long distance before with somebody's company from Abuja to Jama'are Bauchi State, but now I want to travel to Kano State Alone. Any advice Sir? Thank you
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by d33types: 10:51pm On Jan 18
SegaWarrior:
Pls how did you eventually end it, and how was your experience, I'm in similar situation to yours now, I'm planning on travelling to Kano State from Abuja this Holiday on my personal car. Though I have driven long distance before with somebody's company from Abuja to Jama'are Bauchi State, but now I want to travel to Kano State Alone. Any advice Sir? Thank you

This post was almost a decade ago.

My broda, juts make sure your car is serviced and the tyres are fine. Then pray

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Made-in-nigeria Cars Not Feasible By 2017 – Jalal / National Drivers License Now Valid For Five Years / Honda E’s Dual Touchscreen Dashboard Featured In Video Demonstration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.