Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,263 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life (31913 Views)

12 Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re 100% Qualified) / Help Me Choose Between These Two Job Offers / Two Job Offers. I Am Confused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by ifoundmyperfect: 9:55am On Jan 03, 2015
A mathematician will never accept this sorta job if he knows his arithmetic well... 8k Brick layering job sef beta

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by kramer: 10:02am On Jan 03, 2015
franciskaine:
What negotiation can you make from a person whose basic pay is 8k. 8k is an insult to human dignity.

To be honest I can't say much about that but I noticed the location is in anambra and probably in some remote area. Surely the cost of living must be low enough to offer that amount

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by drehdinho(m): 10:06am On Jan 03, 2015
kramer:

To be honest I can't say much about that but I noticed the location is in anambra and probably in some remote area. Surely the cost of living must be low enough to offer that amount
Lol. What kind of low cost of living?
Provided you're in Nigeria bros, nothing goes for nothing.
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by D33VA(f): 10:06am On Jan 03, 2015
Plz who told some of these commenter that der is such a thing as a 30 min job in naija?

Since when do we use hourly rates?

4 Likes

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by ttmacoy: 10:07am On Jan 03, 2015
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by rabimlomo: 10:09am On Jan 03, 2015
babs01:
na 8k dey suprise u, u neva see 2.5k before?
btw, I tot they said minimum wage is 20k
Abi o. I was wondering the same. I knew there were schools that offer their teachers 4 k to 5k. It is really sad. I wonder how those people survive on a few days allowance as monthly salary.

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by clemz88(m): 10:24am On Jan 03, 2015
kilokeys:
if u are an average student in maths u wouldnt even consider it.
lets say u work 8 to 2pm, 5 times a week thats 6 hours * 5 days = 30 hours

for a month u would have spent, 30 * 4 = 120hours

amount received per hour, 8,000/120= 66.6 naira per hour

66.6 naira is equivalent to 0.36 dollars

a non grad abroad cleaning floors earns 12 dollars per hour (33 times better).

only weak minded, timid and dull people would consider that offer
all this maths for 8k.

3 Likes

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by kramer: 10:26am On Jan 03, 2015
drehdinho:

Lol. What kind of low cost of living?
Provided you're in Nigeria bros, nothing goes for nothing.

Yeah I know what you mean but still you can't compare the price of garri in Lagos to the price of garri in a remote area in anambra. The price of the latter will surely be significantly less. Same with other necessities such as housing and health. You see what I'm getting at?
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by PBundles(m): 10:27am On Jan 03, 2015
kilokeys:

You may be good in mathmatics but you were not in economics. By the virtue of PPP (pricing power parity) you cant compare wages in one country due to many factors (ie cost of living, inflation etc). Also been living overseas my whole life I ddoubt if there are jobs that pay that amount more like minimum wage in the US and around EUR 5-7 in Europe. But I do agree that N8000 is low, I thought the minimum wage was N18000, probably public sector but should be made to include the private too.

2 Likes

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by listenersky: 10:29am On Jan 03, 2015
yomi007k:

Yes it is because I can have 10 of that and it will make 80k.
Dey dere dey whine, u neva jam.
10 of what?are you a machine? If you say 5,I can still understand

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by yomi007k(m): 10:33am On Jan 03, 2015
listenersky:
10 of what?are you a machine? If you say 5,I can still understand
Did u read d previous comment b4?
A poster said even if d guy works for 30mins a day then 8k a month isn't money.
And I said if u work 30mins a day, u can do 10 of d work which means 300mins(5hrs).
Now do u see I am not a machine? wink
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by Joy83(m): 10:41am On Jan 03, 2015
PBundles:

You may be good in mathmatics but you were not in economics. By the virtue of PPP (pricing power parity) you cant compare wages in one country due to many factors (ie cost of living, inflation etc). Also been living overseas my whole life I ddoubt if there are jobs that pay that amount more like minimum wage in the US and around EUR 5-7 in Europe. But I do agree that N8000 is low, I thought the minimum wage was N18000, probably public sector but should be made to include the private too.
You have made a very vital point from my heart.
I have been thinking in that line for some months now. The minimum wage should be applicable to all sectors of economy, both private and public.
Before anybody can establish a company or school, there should be a standardized minimum wage for the workers especially for "Graduate" approved by the law of the land. There should not be all these ridiculous pay that won't even encourage the productivity of the worker nor the moral of younger ones still in school.

God will intervene one day... Many graduates are passing through HELL indeed.

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by drehdinho(m): 10:56am On Jan 03, 2015
kramer:

Yeah I know what you mean but still you can't compare the price of garri in Lagos to the price of garri in a remote area in anambra. The price of the latter will surely be significantly less. Same with other necessities such as housing and health. You see what I'm getting at?

Yeah, you're absolutely right. But calling a spade a spade will go a long way in solving most of the problems we have in this nation. This is a form of awareness, the wise shall definately learn from the undiluted public opinion.
Rejecting this kind of offer seem to be the best option here. And with this I know for sure, the so called proprietors will always be cautious of this ridiculous kind of offer.
If the masses come together in one good term, expoitations in this country will be a ameliorate if not absolutely erradicated self.
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by redcliff: 10:56am On Jan 03, 2015
yomi007k:

80k salary ke? Wow....smh
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by kilokeys(m): 11:00am On Jan 03, 2015
PBundles:

that's why its a forum.. ur opinion counts very much. i am open minded. if its not a bed of roses for graduates abroad, not so good for graduates here.. can u imagine what non-graduates here would be passing through?.. unimaginable.
the govt has to become responsible

2 Likes

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by clemz88(m): 11:09am On Jan 03, 2015
It is so surprising the way some people comment and brag about certain issues here. So u guys mean that some one who have finished service for some month and has nothing doing ,made attemps in searching for jobs ,submitting of cvs' and nothing has happened should just sit at home and keep eating his parents foods with doing some thing little atleast to be able to buy little things when needs arises? Please all these discouragement should stop .itz better to keep your self busy even if itz so little because idleness is the devils workshop. I can't stay idle waiting for big dreams cos my friend is living large .
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by 1miccza: 11:10am On Jan 03, 2015
kramer:
Dude you can always negotiate for a higher salary as long as you show them your worth. 8k is the least offer

Don't even go there at all.
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by 1miccza: 11:11am On Jan 03, 2015
An2elect2:
embarassed embarassed I thought mathematics is a noble course everywhere?

OP pls don't misinform us abeg cos that's not the case in most places.

He isn't misinforming it's what it is...

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by 1miccza: 11:13am On Jan 03, 2015
haibe:
What do u expect from a country where income distribution is far from being equal? A country where the rich gets richer at the detriment of others being poor. At least they have proved that stealing isn't corruption so it is expected.

The blame shouldn't go to the employer but to the government, at least the employer didn't force no one to take up the offer. All i know is that 2015 will be a great year for me and my country, we need a change and I strongly believe GMB will be a positive change agent.

GMB TILL ..................

And you think GMB would just come in and then we all would experience instant magic...Some of una go get bp after this election...
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by Anthrophile(m): 11:21am On Jan 03, 2015
Low income ie paying less than a living wage and casualization of employees are affecting many sectors as well as countries.
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by Godiloveu(f): 11:34am On Jan 03, 2015
kilokeys:

Happy. new year Sir,

some pipo receive less than dat, yet they live. God is with us all
it is beta than Notting.
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by kilokeys(m): 11:50am On Jan 03, 2015
Godiloveu:

Happy. new year Sir,

some pipo receive less than dat, yet they live. God is with us all
it is beta than Notting.
my dear its complicated yet simple to understand.

the pple that do well with such meager amount are trapped. , fear of the unknown, probably have families to cater for, maybe in debt and can't think of ever been out of a job. or sadly engulfed in the passion of teaching so much they dont really wanna leave.

i am talking to d fresh graduate about making that mistake. to take d bulls by the horns and get even.
have some self-worth, dream bigger. thats my point

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by pato405(m): 11:55am On Jan 03, 2015
PBundles:

good point. I was just about typing those words. its not usually rosy in Europe & US as many people at home paint it. mind you, this 8k wage is untaxed and op wasn't patient enough to find out if there were fringe benefits/allowances such as accommodation, free transport with school bus or free lunch at break time from the school buttery. From my experience working in England, the least you pay as tax is 20%. it could even be as high as 50% as your wage increases. most workers overseas thus live from hand to mouth. just imagine a single guy who works full time 40hrs per week in a supermarket that pays 5pounds min wage/hr. total earning is 40x 4 x 5 = 800 pounds monthly (about 200k). dont shout hurray yet oo. tax for wages up to 2000pounds is 20% (1/5), expenses thus - another 2/5 of the guys 800 pnds - 320( thats if he shares rent with friends otherwise it will be more) to rent and heating costs ( electricity, gas), another 1/5 to other bills/expenses (contract telephone, internet, transportation etc) and I'm sure feeding could take another 1/5. so what's left? 5- (1+2+1+1)=0 (Zero!) nothing left as saving. professionals who earn more are not spared also. the more you earn the more your bills. so pls consider prevailing economic factors when making comparisons
PBundles:

good point. I was just about typing those words. its not usually rosy in Europe & US as many people at home paint it. mind you, this 8k wage is untaxed and op wasn't patient enough to find out if there were fringe benefits/allowances such as accommodation, free transport with school bus or free lunch at break time from the school buttery. From my experience working in England, the least you pay as tax is 20%. it could even be as high as 50% as your wage increases. most workers overseas thus live from hand to mouth. just imagine a single guy who works full time 40hrs per week in a supermarket that pays 5pounds min wage/hr. total earning is 40x 4 x 5 = 800 pounds monthly (about 200k). dont shout hurray yet oo. tax for wages up to 2000pounds is 20% (1/5), expenses thus - another 2/5 of the guys 800 pnds - 320( thats if he shares rent with friends otherwise it will be more) to rent and heating costs ( electricity, gas), another 1/5 to other bills/expenses (contract telephone, internet, transportation etc) and I'm sure feeding could take another 1/5. so what's left? 5- (1+2+1+1)=0 (Zero!) nothing left as saving. professionals who earn more are not spared also. the more you earn the more your bills. so pls consider prevailing economic factors when making comparisons

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by YoungIncredible: 11:58am On Jan 03, 2015
This post just reminded me of onihaxy thread. the pitiable life of some nigerian teacher .

No doubt, 8k per month teacher will never eat comfortable till jesus comes if it is a full time job. And you expect such guy to have a girlfriend?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by Nobody: 11:59am On Jan 03, 2015
yomi007k:

And I am aware that many of these schools that you work full-time, you are to come and stay in the staff room even when you are not working. So no chance of doubling up elsewhere.
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by wazobia50(m): 12:04pm On Jan 03, 2015
It means drivers earn even better than teachers?
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by Akinsnaira: 12:05pm On Jan 03, 2015
Is it for Youth Corps? Indeed, it is somehow for employers nowadays, seeing themselves as slave masters
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by Pasca07: 12:29pm On Jan 03, 2015
YoungIncredible:
This post just reminded me of onihaxy thread. the pitiable life of some nigerian teacher .

No doubt, 8k per month teacher will never eat comfortable till jesus comes if it is a full time job. And you expect such guy to have a girlfriend?
lol,u hash oooo girlfriend kee?who dash monkey banana.....he can't even survive with dat money for weeks

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by Godiloveu(f): 12:38pm On Jan 03, 2015
kilokeys:

my dear its complicated yet simple to understand.

the pple that do well with such meager amount are trapped. , fear of the unknown, probably have families to cater for, maybe in debt and can't think of ever been out of a job. or sadly engulfed in the passion of teaching so much they dont really wanna leave.

i am talking to d fresh graduate about making that mistake. to take d bulls by the horns and get even.
have some self-worth, dream bigger. thats my point

easier said than done, I once worked in a secondary school were teachers salaries was 9000 each ,teaching 3 subjects each. these teachers were of 27 yrs above in Age.
just imagine how they can live with dat amonut.

u cannot start a business without capital, once u re a graduate ur family start looking up to u for finance weda with or without a job. so many things on the line for u to take care of, n u ve to start rm some where.

sir it can be easy for u to do all d mathematics here but it ain't easy.

everybody want much money, but we ve to work with wat we ve.

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by beau49: 12:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
kilokeys:

Lol...you never disappoint.
Read the post without first checking the moniker,only to scroll back up to see it is you. tongue
Re: One Of The Worse Job Offers I Have Ever Seen In My Life by kilokeys(m): 12:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
Godiloveu:

easier said than done, I once worked in a secondary school were teachers salaries was 9000 each ,teaching 3 subjects each. these teachers were of 27 yrs above in Age.
just imagine how they can live with dat amonut.

u cannot start a business without capital, once u re a graduate ur family start looking up to u for finance weda with or without a job. so many things on the line for u to take care of, n u ve to start rm some where.

sir it can be easy for u to do all d mathematics here but it ain't easy.

everybody want much money, but we ve to work with wat we ve.

u think i have all d money... ?.
i have d drive. this is nt about being conservative or frugal. its a call not to settle.
many pple would just say stuff like, hmmm i have to manage this one oo. some pple are looking for what i currently have.. before u know it 10 years is gone.

u have to know ur worth. the worth of ur education. and do everything possible to abandon mediocrity

for chrissake what could one possible save from a 10k job. tp feeding and all..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy 2017 Massive Recruitment (35 Positions) / El-Rufai Posted Job Vacancies On His Facebook Page / Lagos State Government Recruitment For Graduates 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.