Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,667 members, 7,840,643 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise (32409 Views)

Pls Advise On Which Bank Is Best For Online Banking / Everything In My Account: Hilarious Bank Teller / Help GTB Cleared My Account And My Account Balance Is Now In Debit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Janetozi(f): 7:37am On Jan 07, 2015
That's what bankers do when they wants to practice fraud.

Op report to first bank customer care, give the fraudster a tough time.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Whobedatte(m): 7:37am On Jan 07, 2015
tit:
is it up to N1b?
send it to me.
i shall take care of it to me.
corrupt old witch like her paymaster
Like jonathan, like tit. Mtcheew

2 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:37am On Jan 07, 2015
blemon44:
i thought its a huge sum of money

its only 10k

you can give it back

its a new year

God has greater things in store for you
What if its a huge amount of money?
Would you v told him to return it?

2 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Osyxcel(m): 7:41am On Jan 07, 2015
vicadex07:

I think that amount is too small to be an insider scam. Go ahead and send it to the original beneficiary

Says who?? If that staff does that to 20 ppl or more, do you know how that will be??

I strongly believe that staff is trying to use the OP's account and other accounts to lift money off other people's accout (probably inactive ones)

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by motherlode: 7:42am On Jan 07, 2015
First bank customer service would give you the best solution to that cuz i think every deposit slip has a carbon copy so the name and phone number of the depositor would be on it, you make contact with the depositor and make the necessary corrections! And if it is another means of payment, it's still the customer service!
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 7:43am On Jan 07, 2015
menix:
Som JJC sef dey advise..

@OP.. There is nofin lik fraud in wat u jst explained, this happens a lot especially wiv 1st bank cous most tym d cashiers re tryin to meet TAT wiv d long queue thus omittin checkin d name.

I know their is anoda bank dat has got similar acct no. Series wiv 1st bank, so jst check d union bank acct. If its similar to urs.

Witnessed pple presenting oda bank cheque to a teller 4 cash only 2 b reminded dey re @ d wrong bank.

Well if u still scared, go to ur branch nd complain dat such money shuld be reversed, dey wuld get in contact wiv d teller wo posted it 4 reversal buh am sure d teller is aware of this buh jst not ready to undergo d process cous his branch mgr or head cash wuld nid to authorise nd d reversable wuld b counting against d branch score card.

how did he get his phone number then?
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by segunan: 7:44am On Jan 07, 2015
iykbethany:
Dear Nairalanders, happy new year to all of you. May God answer all our prayers this year and grant us all our heart desires in jesus name- Amen.

I will go straight to the point.
Today I got a call from someone in Lagos claiming he works with first bank. He called me by my family name and said a certain guy wrongfully transferred 10,000 naira into my first bank account and that i should withdraw the money and transfer it to a Union bank account he gave me. He said I can go to my branch and check my bank statement to confirm that 10k was actually transferred to my account.

I have no problem transferring this money to the account that was given to me, but I am wondering how can first bank transfer money to a wrong account when our account names are not similar in any way. is this a scam? I suspect this people and their motive.

I want to know if I should withdraw this money and send to the guy in lagos or what do i do? I dont want any wahala. I hear some bank staff can use your account without your consent, so i fear someone in first bank might have stolen money from someones account. has anyone here faced similar situation? I need urgent advise because the guy says I should send the money to them tomorrow. WHAT DO I DO?

Moderators, if this is not the right place pls move this topic to the right section, and if possible you can move it to front page as I want as much advise as possible. Thank you
Look that is fraud. The person probably transferred from
Someone else's account into your account and when you send it to the persons account you will get into trouble like it was you who committed the fraud. The bank should be the one to tell you that not someone calling you to pay into another account. Go to the bank and lay the complain and let it be on record. Exactly what is happened to you had happened to me and I was being investigated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by showafrica(m): 7:45am On Jan 07, 2015
snowdrops:
10k!!!! This is not worth creating a topic for now, haba

Bros, if you don't value money it will not value you. 10k is someones salary for a whole month, some did not even see 10k cash throughout last year. Remember, if you are thinking it should be 10million, someone in Aso rock will also tell you that it does not worth creating a topic. If you are talking about 10billion, some people spend it in a hotel within one wk. So, respect money, no matter how small.

7 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by lucarella: 7:46am On Jan 07, 2015
Bro, it's simple. It's a mistake. You forget that it's not only over the counter that people transfer money these days. It could be online banking. I mistakenly (well, that was what they said) transferred 20k to someone in Firstbank from my GTBank account via online banking. Firstbank actually did well by even contacting you to refund the money. GTBank said I should contact the person and appeal to him to refund the money and there is nothing they can do. This is someone I don't know from Adam. I don't even have his contact details except for his full name. I even opened a thread about this but it never made frontpage. That was how my 20k went.

So you can go report to the bank and have the money transferred back.

iykbethany:
Thanks everyone for all the advise.
Whether it is fraud or mistake, I already made up my mind to report the case to my bank just in case. So this morning I am going to my first bank branch to report the case and see what they say.

Fact is, i opened this first bank account over 10 years ago, i was in Lagos to pay visa fees and needed to withdraw money from my account, I went to a first bank branch in Lagos but they told me i cannot withdraw money unless from my branch, when i returned to port Harcourt i removed every money in that account because i was angry. Since then I never used the account again. It was some few months back i reactivated the account bc i went to first bank to transfer money to my cousin and noticed some huge changes. The same branch where i opened this account is now bigger, with so many tellers and new facilities and very very less crowd. About ten years ago when i used to operate that account we used to queue for several hours before we could deposit or withdraw money, it was the changes i saw in first bank few months ago that motivated me to reactivate the account with 50,000 naira. I never withdraw any penny since then. I am surprised how this caller got my number and my last name.

I am going to report to my bank and will update the house.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by DBlackCeazer(m): 7:49am On Jan 07, 2015
snowdrops:
10k!!!! This is not worth creating a topic for now, haba
it is definitely worth a 'topic',someone could find his or her self in the same situation except that the amount in question is more,#lets enlighten ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by dammytosh: 7:52am On Jan 07, 2015
sunnydayasaba:
Don't take any such decision without d consent of ur Bank. Go to your Bank and talk with the customer care, How can a deposit for Union Bank suddenly gets to ur own First Bank acct? That seems very suspicious. Ask your Bank customer care for assistance and advice. Also get the name of the person who called you claiming to work for First Bank and have him talk to d branch of your bank customer care so they can identify him themselves and be sure he's not lying to u.

Be wise, Shit happens in dis country, Use ur Number 6 very well.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by talktofemi: 7:54am On Jan 07, 2015
What ever you decide to do, don't withdraw the money and pay into the Union Bank account.

If you have to withdraw, do so and spend it.

The worse that can happen if it is indeed a wrong posting is for a lien to be put on your account if the money has been withdrawn. The bank may choose to inform you of such action or not.

Happened to me as a student some years back. This instance was an insider job. Saw an alert on 780167k. I withdrew the money immediately and deposited into another account.

The perpetrators contacted me, I refused to pay any money to any account. The case was eventually discovered by the bank. They informed me. I still refused. Was threatened with the law. Still refused.

Told the bank that am not liable at all. And that they are negligent at their duties.

When I didn't bulk, a lien was placed on the account. Simply told them I wouldn't use the account again.

So OP u have two choice: leave the money in your account. If it is wrong posting it will be removed.

Or withdraw and spend it.

2 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by truvine(m): 8:02am On Jan 07, 2015
blemon44:

its only 10k

you can give it back

its a new year

if it isn't 10k ( more than 10k) !

he shouldn't give it back !!

its a new year !!!

God don't have greater things in store for him !!!
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by bettercreature(m): 8:05am On Jan 07, 2015
Jenams:
shut up! I'm a banker, he cud be picked up by efcc if he is nt careful. @op, report the issue to any FBN branch close to u. Tnx
Why did you write as if you guys are competent? You've never for once succesfully pick of any of the fraudstars who normally use bank accounts to defraud people.....i lost 600k to a fraudstar 8 months ago which i paid into a valid bank account,my money is still in the air till now and you guys are unable to do anything about it
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Midecuc(m): 8:14am On Jan 07, 2015
Pls report to your bank before you take any action,

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 8:16am On Jan 07, 2015
iykbethany:
Dear Nairalanders, happy new year to all of you. May God answer all our prayers this year and grant us all our heart desires in jesus name- Amen.

Today I got a call from someone in Lagos claiming he works with first bank. He called me by my family name and said a certain guy wrongfully transferred 10,000 naira into my first bank account and that i should withdraw the money and transfer it to a Union bank account he gave me. He said I can go to my branch and check my bank statement to confirm that 10k was actually transferred to my account.

I have no problem transferring this money to the account that was given to me, but I am wondering how can first bank transfer money to a wrong account when our account names are not similar in any way. is this a scam? I suspect this people and their motive.

I want to know if I should withdraw this money and send to the guy in lagos or what do i do? I dont want any wahala. I hear some bank staff can use your account without your consent, so i fear someone in first bank might have stolen money from someones account. has anyone here faced similar situation? I need urgent advise because the guy says I should send the money to them tomorrow. WHAT DO I DO?

Moderators, if this is not the right place pls move this topic to the right section, and if possible you can move it to front page as I want as much advise as possible. Thank you

Report it at the Bank. This is how money laundering starts.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Eejay254(m): 8:17am On Jan 07, 2015
If you don't want your battery life to turn to 0.10 mAh.. kindly transfer the money
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by darqly(m): 8:18am On Jan 07, 2015
Quite simple- If they contact you again, tell them to initiate a reversal since they committed the error, not you. You shouldn't transfer the money on their behalf, let alone an inter bank transfer. If you transfer or withdraw the funds, the audit trail will always lead back to you.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by dominique(f): 8:29am On Jan 07, 2015
talktofemi:
What ever you decide to do, don't withdraw the money and pay into the Union Bank account.

If you have to withdraw, do so and spend it.

The worse that can happen if it is indeed a wrong posting is for a lien to be put on your account if the money has been withdrawn. The bank may choose to inform you of such action or not.

Happened to me as a student some years back. This instance was an insider job. Saw an alert on 780167k. I withdrew the money immediately and deposited into another account.

The perpetrators contacted me, I refused to pay any money to any account. The case was eventually discovered by the bank. They informed me. I still refused. Was threatened with the law. Still refused.

Told the bank that am not liable at all. And that they are negligent at their duties.

When I didn't bulk, a lien was placed on the account. Simply told them I wouldn't use the account again.

So OP u have two choice: leave the money in your account. If it is wrong posting it will be removed.

Or withdraw and spend it.

So what became of the money? Did you spend it?
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by darqly(m): 8:31am On Jan 07, 2015
talktofemi:

No matter how you try to justify it, taking what doesn't belong to you is called THEFT. But then, most bank customers are opportunistic rogues so c'est la vie....

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by rhames(m): 8:32am On Jan 07, 2015
Write back officially to the bank manager telling him about the wrong credit you received in your account. save your head this new year and don't fall into the trap of a pen robbery syndicate which can take your life for pittance. I am speaking from experience. happy new year.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 07, 2015
blemon44:

its only 10k

you can give it back

its a new year

So if its a huge sum you'll probably tell him not to dull himself as its a new year & its d greater things God has in store for him ko?

Nigerians!
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by bigtt76(f): 8:36am On Jan 07, 2015
Good move.

Very possible the bank teller called you rather than the owner of the money. Also possible they (Bank Teller & Co) trying to use you to piggy-back the money on their behalf.

Piggy-back means ...using an otherwise legitimate means to commit illegal transactions. They would use someone's account to transfer money to another account making it look legitimate and when busted, the last account through which money was transferred would be the culprit grin

In your case, they may have removed funds from someone's account in First Bank and pushed to you, then called you to ask you to transfer the fund to the Union Bank account. If the caller were genuine, he/she should have gone back to complain to the bank and not called you.

iykbethany:
Thanks everyone for all the advise.
Whether it is fraud or mistake, I already made up my mind to report the case to my bank just in case. So this morning I am going to my first bank branch to report the case and see what they say.

Fact is, i opened this first bank account over 10 years ago, i was in Lagos to pay visa fees and needed to withdraw money from my account, I went to a first bank branch in Lagos but they told me i cannot withdraw money unless from my branch, when i returned to port Harcourt i removed every money in that account because i was angry. Since then I never used the account again. It was some few months back i reactivated the account bc i went to first bank to transfer money to my cousin and noticed some huge changes. The same branch where i opened this account is now bigger, with so many tellers and new facilities and very very less crowd. About ten years ago when i used to operate that account we used to queue for several hours before we could deposit or withdraw money, it was the changes i saw in first bank few months ago that motivated me to reactivate the account with 50,000 naira. I never withdraw any penny since then. I am surprised how this caller got my number and my last name.

I am going to report to my bank and will update the house.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by talktofemi: 8:38am On Jan 07, 2015
darqly:

No matter how you try to justify it, taking what doesn't belong to you is called THEFT. But then, most bank customers are opportunistic rogues so c'est la vie....

If you called it that.

But I didn't 'thief' it. Do I?
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by iluvmoscow(m): 8:41am On Jan 07, 2015
10k can't buy a bottle of Jack Daniel at the club. Return it sir. Thought it was 10m.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by 100Cents: 8:41am On Jan 07, 2015
iykbethany:

GUY, don't withdraw anything. This is scam. Staff of banks also engage in scam.

Tell him and I quote, " Sir, if you actually work with FIRST BANK, place my account on PND, debit the N10,000 and credit it to the rightful owner, then lift the PND ".

If he doesn't respond to you again ( which is what will happen ). Then go to your branch where you opened your account, meet the Customer Service Officers. Ask to see the Head of Operations. He will direct you to write an application to the branch manager stating that a certain amount was credited to you wrongfully.

If you ever do what that guy is calling you to do, you might get arrested for fraud...( something you know nothing about).
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by talktofemi: 8:42am On Jan 07, 2015
dominique:

So what became of the money? Did you spend it?

Yeah. I did.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by 100Cents: 8:44am On Jan 07, 2015
menix:
Som JJC sef dey advise..

@OP.. There is nofin lik fraud in wat u jst explained, this happens a lot especially wiv 1st bank cous most tym d cashiers re tryin to meet TAT wiv d long queue thus omittin checkin d name.

I know their is anoda bank dat has got similar acct no. Series wiv 1st bank, so jst check d union bank acct. If its similar to urs.

Witnessed pple presenting oda bank cheque to a teller 4 cash only 2 b reminded dey re @ d wrong bank.

Well if u still scared, go to ur branch nd complain dat such money shuld be reversed, dey wuld get in contact wiv d teller wo posted it 4 reversal buh am sure d teller is aware of this buh jst not ready to undergo d process cous his branch mgr or head cash wuld nid to authorise nd d reversable wuld b counting against d branch score card.

You are talking poo, young man. Ignorance is not an excuse.

This Op must speak with his branch manager to get appropriate advice. Definitely, not what you are saying here..

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by aspirebig: 8:45am On Jan 07, 2015
Op just return d money to them and forget the matter.

Someone was like,ahh it is just 10K return it,but I am telling you even if it is 1m,still return it. Let them go with their money. God have better blessings for you.

Some bankers are always debiting customer's account. Playing with people hard earned money. They are playing with fire.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by darqly(m): 8:46am On Jan 07, 2015
talktofemi:

If you called it that.

But I didn't 'thief' it. Do I?

I didn't call it that- That's exactly what it is- THEFT.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by gbadexy(m): 8:47am On Jan 07, 2015
iykbethany:

l had to quote you so that you read the message. scammers promising a client product they dont intend to supply wont use their account because they can be traced with it.
So they give an innocent persons account and you pay it into the account of the fraudstar.
The money may not be much but if its fraud and the duped customer decides to post his or her experience on the social media, its your name and account details that would be posted and if there is a case, you may be treated as an accomplice.
so follow the suggestion of the earlier posters to notify your bsnk first.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 8:48am On Jan 07, 2015
jarus is very right

A mistake in a digit in one account no will change the acnt no to.another persons acnt.

It can be easily reversed if the acnt s are in the same bank. But if they are in diff banks, its a little more tasking.

My advise- Go to ur bank and discuss this with the operation manager. Give him the instruction to investigate and reverse to the real acnt owner and that they shld.make sure ur money does not leave, be it Cot or other bank associated charges. if the purported owners calls again, direct them to ur bank. They may have to pay in some more mon to ur acnt to cover the cost of interbank charges or transfer less.

Another option is to tell ur bank to investigate and tell u d exact acnt no and bank d.money came in from. Ur bank can investigate and give it to u, then u transfer it urself.

To the entire nairaland, ppl shld not ignorantly spend such money if they see it in their acnt bt report it. The bank doesnt pay for it, its the teller that posted it that pays from his or her meagre salary. Some of the mistakes are due to stress. A teller pays crowd from morning till evening and at times is not allowed to go and each. even hunger can make u make mistake.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Win BiG on CARDS/CORNERS / Tony Elumelu Steps Out With Wife As They Attends 2019 UBA CEO Award / Meet The Top Nigerian Instagram Entrepreneurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.