Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,191 members, 7,825,734 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise (32371 Views)

Pls Advise On Which Bank Is Best For Online Banking / Everything In My Account: Hilarious Bank Teller / Help GTB Cleared My Account And My Account Balance Is Now In Debit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by iykbethany(m): 11:30pm On Jan 06, 2015
Dear Nairalanders, happy new year to all of you. May God answer all our prayers this year and grant us all our heart desires in jesus name- Amen.

I will go straight to the point.
Today I got a call from someone in Lagos claiming he works with first bank. He called me by my family name and said a certain guy wrongfully transferred 10,000 naira into my first bank account and that i should withdraw the money and transfer it to a Union bank account he gave me. He said I can go to my branch and check my bank statement to confirm that 10k was actually transferred to my account.

I have no problem transferring this money to the account that was given to me, but I am wondering how can first bank transfer money to a wrong account when our account names are not similar in any way. is this a scam? I suspect this people and their motive.

I want to know if I should withdraw this money and send to the guy in lagos or what do i do? I dont want any wahala. I hear some bank staff can use your account without your consent, so i fear someone in first bank might have stolen money from someones account. has anyone here faced similar situation? I need urgent advise because the guy says I should send the money to them tomorrow. WHAT DO I DO?

Moderators, if this is not the right place pls move this topic to the right section, and if possible you can move it to front page as I want as much advise as possible. Thank you

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by blemon44(m): 11:33pm On Jan 06, 2015
i thought its a huge sum of money

its only 10k

you can give it back

its a new year

God has greater things in store for you

140 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by siegfried99(m): 11:33pm On Jan 06, 2015
grin new year bonus

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by emiye(m): 11:37pm On Jan 06, 2015
return the money, even if it is 10 million naira, it is not your money, if you suspect fraud, contact first bank and explain the situation to the bank for reaffirmation of the earlier directive.

77 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by sunnydayasaba(m): 11:38pm On Jan 06, 2015
Don't take any such decision without d consent of ur Bank. Go to your Bank and talk with the customer care, How can a deposit for Union Bank suddenly gets to ur own First Bank acct? That seems very suspicious. Ask your Bank customer care for assistance and advice. Also get the name of the person who called you claiming to work for First Bank and have him talk to d branch of your bank customer care so they can identify him themselves and be sure he's not lying to u.

Be wise, Shit happens in dis country, Use ur Number 6 very well.

170 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Genius100: 11:39pm On Jan 06, 2015
Obviously a scam. Someone is trying to use your account to steal. You better report to the appropriate authorities at your bank..

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Scatterboss(m): 12:14am On Jan 07, 2015
Report to your bank before doing anything. Too many scam artist in that country.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 1:09am On Jan 07, 2015
My opinion:

The bank staff that called you was the one that fraudulently credited your account.
And wants you to withdraw the money and pay into his/her account.

My suggestion.

Go to your bank, report the case.

They will investigate who aid in the money and hen take it from there.

20 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by menix(m): 1:22am On Jan 07, 2015
Som JJC sef dey advise..

@OP.. There is nofin lik fraud in wat u jst explained, this happens a lot especially wiv 1st bank cous most tym d cashiers re tryin to meet TAT wiv d long queue thus omittin checkin d name.

I know their is anoda bank dat has got similar acct no. Series wiv 1st bank, so jst check d union bank acct. If its similar to urs.

Witnessed pple presenting oda bank cheque to a teller 4 cash only 2 b reminded dey re @ d wrong bank.

Well if u still scared, go to ur branch nd complain dat such money shuld be reversed, dey wuld get in contact wiv d teller wo posted it 4 reversal buh am sure d teller is aware of this buh jst not ready to undergo d process cous his branch mgr or head cash wuld nid to authorise nd d reversable wuld b counting against d branch score card.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by tit(f): 1:43am On Jan 07, 2015
is it up to N1b?
send it to me.
i shall take care of it to me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by koma1(m): 1:52am On Jan 07, 2015
@op yes it is possible infact it happened to me.i wrongfully transferred 20000k into someone acct in gtb.i complained to my bank for retrieval nd still waiting for response.

4 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by snowdrops(m): 1:56am On Jan 07, 2015
10k!!!! This is not worth creating a topic for now, haba

11 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by vicadex07(m): 2:09am On Jan 07, 2015
iykbethany:
Dear Nairalanders, happy new year to all of you. May God answer all our prayers this year and grant us all our heart desires in jesus name- Amen.

I will go straight to the point.
Today I got a call from someone in Lagos claiming he works with first bank. He called me by my family name and said a certain guy wrongfully transferred 10,000 naira into my first bank account and that i should withdraw the money and transfer it to a Union bank account he gave me. He said I can go to my branch and check my bank statement to confirm that 10k was actually transferred to my account.

I have no problem transferring this money to the account that was given to me, but I am wondering how can first bank transfer money to a wrong account when our account names are not similar in any way. is this a scam? I suspect this people and their motive.

I want to know if I should withdraw this money and send to the guy in lagos or what do i do? I dont want any wahala. I hear some bank staff can use your account without your consent, so i fear someone in first bank might have stolen money from someones account. has anyone here faced similar situation? I need urgent advise because the guy says I should send the money to them tomorrow. WHAT DO I DO?

Moderators, if this is not the right place pls move this topic to the right section, and if possible you can move it to front page as I want as much advise as possible. Thank you

I think that amount is too small to be an insider scam. Go ahead and send it to the original beneficiary

4 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 2:18am On Jan 07, 2015
snowdrops:
10k!!!! This is not worth creating a topic for now, haba
shut up! I'm a banker, he cud be picked up by efcc if he is nt careful. @op, report the issue to any FBN branch close to u. Tnx

29 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by gratiaeo(m): 2:21am On Jan 07, 2015
Op na your money? Abi u wan eat another persons money

3 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 2:34am On Jan 07, 2015
Op: My advice to you is that you inform your bank. Also get the person to send you a text message so as to keep record of the conversation. DO NOT send the money to the Union Bank Account, instead take it to the first bank and report your case there. The depositor should contact the Bank or the Bank should directly contact the depositor.

It may be a case of Gee-men testing an account but using your own bank account as the "ATM". This kind case don carry one of my guy enter army barracks for 8 months. Guy just use your brain cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 3:09am On Jan 07, 2015
I would advice you go to the bank to avoid stories that touch

Op and mods and NLs make una nö vex o grin

Join Our Whatsapp Guitar Group

https://www.nairaland.com/2079409/join-whatsapp-guitar-group

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Funjosh(m): 3:21am On Jan 07, 2015
Oga Spend it joor. Na you say make them transfer money to your account

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 4:00am On Jan 07, 2015
How will you want to be treated if you transferred money into a wrong account

2 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 5:03am On Jan 07, 2015
This same case happened in t.b Joshua's
where the church wrongly paid millions of naira
into the account of a man, what did the man do
he returned it without thinking twice and here
you are contemplating on whether to return the
amount of just 10,000naira...smh I shake head
for you

sorry hommies I booked space and slept off

*modified *

and if u still don't know what to do after all this advice then you can...wink

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by gunuvi(m): 6:00am On Jan 07, 2015
barcanista:
Op: My advice to you is that you inform your bank. Also get the person to send you a text message so as to keep record of the conversation. DO NOT send the money to the Union Bank Account, instead take it to the first bank and report your case there. The depositor should contact the Bank or the Bank should directly contact the depositor.

It may be a case of Gee-men testing an account but using your own bank account as the "ATM". This kind case don carry one of my guy enter army barracks for 8 months. Guy just use your brain cheesy
Oga, you no dey sleep?...
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by toniro(m): 6:18am On Jan 07, 2015
Seriously it's called wrong posting that is d cashier wrongly credited your account instead of the rightful beneficiary! My worryis hw did he/she get ur digit__mobile number? Only d bank shld contact you not another anonymous customer! That said n done; go to the nearest bank of fbn n report. Ensure it is reversed before leaving if possible and you can inform d caller if you like n after which ignore the caller becuase I am puzzled as to how he has your number.. as a back office staff, d bank doesnot giv ur info out not even your name! Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by iamrealdeji(m): 6:26am On Jan 07, 2015
Op,i know you wouldn't have posted this on nairaland if it were to be 1million
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by eagleeye44: 6:29am On Jan 07, 2015
Some people here are just yarning off point undecided This cannot be wrong posting, the account numbers for union bank and firstbank are totally different, no teller in his right senses can make such error, this is purely fraud the person is trying to use you as his ATM. My suggestion, go to any first bank branch close to you and explain to the customer service officer.

Be wise. grin

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by wheesin(m): 6:33am On Jan 07, 2015
what does your suspicious 10k has to do with politics undecided
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by iykbethany(m): 6:51am On Jan 07, 2015
Thanks everyone for all the advise.
Whether it is fraud or mistake, I already made up my mind to report the case to my bank just in case. So this morning I am going to my first bank branch to report the case and see what they say.

Fact is, i opened this first bank account over 10 years ago, i was in Lagos to pay visa fees and needed to withdraw money from my account, I went to a first bank branch in Lagos but they told me i cannot withdraw money unless from my branch, when i returned to port Harcourt i removed every money in that account because i was angry. Since then I never used the account again. It was some few months back i reactivated the account bc i went to first bank to transfer money to my cousin and noticed some huge changes. The same branch where i opened this account is now bigger, with so many tellers and new facilities and very very less crowd. About ten years ago when i used to operate that account we used to queue for several hours before we could deposit or withdraw money, it was the changes i saw in first bank few months ago that motivated me to reactivate the account with 50,000 naira. I never withdraw any penny since then. I am surprised how this caller got my number and my last name.

I am going to report to my bank and will update the house.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by korel9: 7:05am On Jan 07, 2015
Please forward it to my account for practical lessons on what to do angry
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by ggrin(f): 7:05am On Jan 07, 2015
undecided
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by tyconcepts(f): 7:05am On Jan 07, 2015
You will be happier if you return it.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 07, 2015
This same case happened in t.b Joshua's where the church wrongly paid millions of naira into the account of a man, what did the man do he returned it without thinking twice and here you are contemplating on whether to return the amount of just 10,000naira...smh I shake head for u sad

sorry hommies I booked space and slept off
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by justi4jesu(f): 7:05am On Jan 07, 2015
Return the money,But not to the imposter that called you to transfer into another account,just visit your bank and explain yourself!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Customers Sitting On The Floor At Access Bank In Yola (photos) / Win BiG on CARDS/CORNERS / Beneficiaries Of CBN's AGSMEIS Loan Share Their Testimony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.