Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,862 members, 7,841,241 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise (32413 Views)

Pls Advise On Which Bank Is Best For Online Banking / Everything In My Account: Hilarious Bank Teller / Help GTB Cleared My Account And My Account Balance Is Now In Debit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by NaLaugh: 8:49am On Jan 07, 2015
Obviously, many did not bother to read the post before commenting. He is NOT asking whether or not to keep the cash.

@topic

If it looks like a hyena, and laughs like a hyena, it is a hyena.

Here is what i think is going down. A scam which probably goes like this:

1. Mr. Scammer visits a random bank to pick disposed bank slips, or searches online for bank info of individuals.

2. He scams a random victim, and in order to avoid a paper trail back to him, he asks the victim to pay into this
account he found (your account)

3. He calls the account holder, and impersonates bank staff with the bogus story, and provides forwarding account details.

4. If you're gullible enough, you send the money to him. If you're not, and you choose to spend the money, he is still safe, but you're not.

A few other observations-

1. The small amount (10k) is probably so he can afford to write it off as a loss, if you don't send it to him.
2. NO bank will expect you to make a trip to ANOTHER bank, to rectify their mistake. If they credit your account in error, they WILL take it out. They DO NOT need your consent for that.

What to do:
Simply visit your bank in person, or call their care line. Find out who deposited the cash, and where they deposited it. If the person provided a contact number, see if they will give it to you. I believe the person is a victim of a cheap scam.

Be wise, careful, and keep your hands clean.

6 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by whysquare4real(m): 8:53am On Jan 07, 2015
[quote author=iykbethany post=29558757][/quote]
@OP; it is possible. It happened to someone I know sometime ago. His salary was wrongfully paid into someone's acct in UBA who happens to have d same acct no as my friend's first bnk acct after a verification exercise by his employer.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Drmaverick: 8:58am On Jan 07, 2015
How to a Excel at an Uninspiring Job

I have been a graduate for roughly about three years,in that time i have worked in two different places (presently in my second appointment) , I spent a little over a year “learning the ropes” in an entry-level position at a quiet TV station in my state capital.

It was a struggle to feel like the engineer i had dreamt about becoming when i graduate from the university.The job, though technical to a certain degree was monotonous and uninspiring and the environment was a little slow for a fresh graduate,and an able bodied young man.I was looking for challenges.
1. Treat Yourself Like a Professional
2. Find Opportunity in the Little Things
3. Volunteer Your Talents
4. Keep Your Eyes on the Prize

complete article:

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by sammycarz(m): 8:59am On Jan 07, 2015
Jenams:
shut up! I'm a banker, he cud be picked up by efcc if he is nt careful. @op, report the issue to any FBN branch close to u. Tnx
take note......u re nt a banker....u re an employee of a bank
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Yinkagbo(m): 9:00am On Jan 07, 2015
snowdrops:
10k!!!! This is not worth creating a topic for now, haba

It worth creating topic for becos as small it is, it can land the op into jail.....u must report to ur bank,and even police......let me share an experience with u..thr is this guy on my street that was arrested in Abuja few years ago....he transfered money from one man account to his own perssonal account,unknowing to him the owner of the bank acct has contacted his bank and the bank acct he transfered the money to was traced to oceanic and memo was placed on the account,on getting to Abuja to withdraw the money at oceanic bank,he was arrested and they transfered him back to ile-ife police station(where he carried out the act)..from there to court and from court to jail.......the moral here is that donot withdraw any amount,I think someone is trying to use u.pls visit police station and then your bank.....my 2cents
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Atk1nson(m): 9:03am On Jan 07, 2015
gratiaeo:
Op na your money? Abi u wan eat another persons money
did u bother to read the post before commenting?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by ceejay80s(m): 9:05am On Jan 07, 2015
Op wise up, na u suppose go pay the money into union bank for the other person,its a scam check ur acct very well
who made the mistake,u or the bank?
Then why should u be the one to go and pay it into an unknown acct?

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by menix(m): 9:13am On Jan 07, 2015
Ezechinwa:

how did he get his phone number then?

See queshion... Wen u opened ur acct. Nah ur landlord phone no. U provide?
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by menix(m): 9:16am On Jan 07, 2015
100Cents:

You are talking poo, young man. Ignorance is not an excuse.

This Op must speak with his branch manager to get appropriate advice. Definitely, not what you are saying here..

Its unfortunate street urchin lik u won't 1day experience wat it is like workin in a bank.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 9:19am On Jan 07, 2015
This happened to me too abt 3 yrs ago buh I think what the bank should do is to reverse the money and not u going to send the money to anoda bank acct.BEWARE!!!

3 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Temysteve(m): 9:22am On Jan 07, 2015
1st blessing of the year, i swear if u throw am away na 2020 u go see another 1
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Rexnegro(m): 9:33am On Jan 07, 2015
blemon44:
i thought its a huge sum of money

its only 10k

you can give it back

its a new year

God has greater things in store for you
U tot its a huge sum of money ? So if it was like 5M u wud advise him not to give it back abi ? U be pdp member I swear where una believe stealing is not corruption hehehehehehe Oga Jona o

2 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by 100Cents: 9:36am On Jan 07, 2015
menix:

Its unfortunate street urchin lik u won't 1day experience wat it is like workin in a bank.

I laugh at you. Mumu...

How many years experience did you have and were you sacked ?
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by menix(m): 9:42am On Jan 07, 2015
100Cents:

I laugh at you. Mumu...

How many years experience did you have and were you sacked ?

Try registering ur family wiv my NGO nd kip them away frm kwashiorkor..
Anumanu..
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by David0(m): 9:45am On Jan 07, 2015
toniro:
Seriously it's called wrong posting that is d cashier wrongly credited your account instead of the rightful beneficiary! My worryis hw did he/she get ur digit__mobile number? Only d bank shld contact you not another anonymous customer! That said n done; go to the nearest bank of fbn n report. Ensure it is reversed before leaving if possible and you can inform d caller if you like n after which ignore the caller becuase I am puzzled as to how he has your number.. as a back office staff, d bank doesnot giv ur info out not even your name! Cheers

Read again, it's an fbn staff dat called not some random customer. He's also an fbn customer so it's easy getting his mobile no. My issue is wt d cashier, how can u post a transaction wt out checking details of customer. Or is it dat d original customer n dis guy hv same name? Thr shud b something different dat ll make d cashier notify d paying customer. I knw one thing for sure union bank and fbn acct no. looks very much alike. But dats not an excuse.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by BizBloke(m): 9:48am On Jan 07, 2015
iykbethany:
Dear Nairalanders, happy new year to all of you. May God answer all our prayers this year and grant us all our heart desires in jesus name- Amen.

I will go straight to the point.
Today I got a call from someone in Lagos claiming he works with first bank. He called me by my family name and said a certain guy wrongfully transferred 10,000 naira into my first bank account and that i should withdraw the money and transfer it to a Union bank account he gave me. He said I can go to my branch and check my bank statement to confirm that 10k was actually transferred to my account.

I have no problem transferring this money to the account that was given to me, but I am wondering how can first bank transfer money to a wrong account when our account names are not similar in any way. is this a scam? I suspect this people and their motive.

I want to know if I should withdraw this money and send to the guy in lagos or what do i do? I dont want any wahala. I hear some bank staff can use your account without your consent, so i fear someone in first bank might have stolen money from someones account. has anyone here faced similar situation? I need urgent advise because the guy says I should send the money to them tomorrow. WHAT DO I DO?

Moderators, if this is not the right place pls move this topic to the right section, and if possible you can move it to front page as I want as much advise as possible. Thank you

I suggest you return the money, IykeBethany. N10,000 is too small (even if it's more zeroes) to ruin your life or peace of mind from 2015 to God-knows-when.

Go to First Bank and report the case.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by luluosas(m): 9:48am On Jan 07, 2015
Please contact your bank so that they can investigate it.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by talktofemi: 9:48am On Jan 07, 2015
darqly:

I didn't call it that- That's exactly what it is- THEFT.

I 'thief' am and put it in my account?
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by mayor007(m): 10:01am On Jan 07, 2015
Ogbeni, transfer the money back. None of your business whether it is a scam or not since your conscience is gonna be clear. Afterall, it isn't your money.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by 100Cents: 10:01am On Jan 07, 2015
menix:

Try registering ur family wiv my NGO nd kip them away frm kwashiorkor..
Anumanu..

You just open mouth and be talking anyhow.

Who cares to know where you have worked before ? Are you feeding anybody here ?
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by AJ01(m): 10:03am On Jan 07, 2015
ME !! Take T.p go to the bank,stand in the long queue withdraw the money..take another T.p go to another bank stand in the queue again pay in the money....I DEY CRAZE ....what nonsense...the bank should rectify it themselves OR forget it..mitchewwwwwwwwww..ordinary 10k
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Cityguy: 10:10am On Jan 07, 2015
Just get it returned through that same First bank and not any other bank jare. It got to you through there and should go back same way.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by bolnij(m): 10:10am On Jan 07, 2015
Return the money back to the bank. If it is a current account, write a letter with a cheque of N10,000 and make First Bank the beneficiary of the money. Explain the purpose of the money to the bank. In that case, you have returned the money and the bank will take all necessary staff to get the money to the rightful owner. Dont pay directly to any bank or bank official.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by flomark: 10:10am On Jan 07, 2015
Good day All, No comment here is totally out of point. First, Op the money is not your, hence don't take what doesn't belong to you be rest assure your own will definitely come at the appropriate time.

For those that said it could be scam, they are right; it may be inside job via NIP, NIBSS or NEFT to other bank if the source of transfer is from Union bank where the caller has you to pay the cash to. Someone could have use a user sign on to effect the transfer and another sign on to authorize same. This could be with or without the consent of the user whose sign was used. The perpetrators now needed someone to clear the money from another bank. Only God, a functional CCTV in the bank premises and Computer access log (time and location) in can unravel this.
Mistake: It is quite possible, internet banking transfers, transfer via ATM as illustrated by an OP above or Teller who double as Fund transfer officer with NIP, NIBSS and other interbank profile (Bank peculiarity) can make it possible, however, if the fund source is from Union Bank into your FBN account, it may have been posted by a FT officer. We have seen scenarios where imputers make such mistake but because of fear of losing job, will not want to initiate reversal which is the normal thing if the fund is still in the wrong account (Within the bank/Interbank) because it requires authorization. If the teller is in good book of his/her authorizer, fine! But if not and perhaps if the inputer has been having errors issues, for fear of losing job can source for account details of the account he/she posted into, call and plead with the holders. The question here now, is the rightful owner in the same locality with the person that received the deposit. That makes it complex in this scenario, if the teller is not experience on how to self managed it in this case study; people will definitely misunderstood him/her. If the mistake is across bank/interbank which is complex because the initiating bank cannot order for reversal. The account owner must be involved for roll back.
Time will not permit me to show case different scenarios, the OP has chosen a good stand, go to any first bank branch to inquiry from a seasoned customer service Officer, if need be, a head of operation as one OP said. With due respect, some CSO can misguide, Just like the bank Staff that perhaps gave the OP’s details to the caller.
Help where need be with the backing of a senior bank officer of your bank if it will save someone’s job, though not at your detriment or follow your instinct.
Regards.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by 9jatriot(m): 10:18am On Jan 07, 2015
gbadexy:

l had to quote you so that you read the message. scammers promising a client product they dont intend to supply wont use their account because they can be traced with it.
So they give an innocent persons account and you pay it into the account of the fraudstar.
The money may not be much but if its fraud and the duped customer decides to post his or her experience on the social media, its your name and account details that would be posted and if there is a case, you may be treated as an accomplice.
so follow the suggestion of the earlier posters to notify your bsnk first.

This angle you put here completely floored me. You are so right. this is really one option.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by David0(m): 10:21am On Jan 07, 2015
My advice to anyone who banks, get to know ur account officer. When issues like dis arise, contact them or go to d closest branch or call the customer care line for d bank to confirm. U dnt even need to go to d bank to solve d prob. So long d bank has ur consent, dey can do a reversal of entry on ur acct. And return d cash to d walk-in-customer to pay to d ryt bank n ryt customer. U shudnt b d one doing all dat. Whoever was d fbn staff dat called u, must b dumb, except it's fraud.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 10:30am On Jan 07, 2015
iykbethany:
Thanks everyone for all the advise.
Whether it is fraud or mistake, I already made up my mind to report the case to my bank just in case. So this morning I am going to my first bank branch to report the case and see what they say.

Fact is, i opened this first bank account over 10 years ago, i was in Lagos to pay visa fees and needed to withdraw money from my account, I went to a first bank branch in Lagos but they told me i cannot withdraw money unless from my branch, when i returned to port Harcourt i removed every money in that account because i was angry. Since then I never used the account again. It was some few months back i reactivated the account bc i went to first bank to transfer money to my cousin and noticed some huge changes. The same branch where i opened this account is now bigger, with so many tellers and new facilities and very very less crowd. About ten years ago when i used to operate that account we used to queue for several hours before we could deposit or withdraw money, it was the changes i saw in first bank few months ago that motivated me to reactivate the account with 50,000 naira. I never withdraw any penny since then. I am surprised how this caller got my number and my last name.

I am going to report to my bank and will update the house.

Besides was there any credit transaction alert for the purported 10k mistakenly sent to your account?

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 07, 2015
Its like some peeps didn't read the full story. How did the guy get his fone no? Customers' details are confidential. No bank would give it out for any reason. Your fone no can only be accessed by a banker. This is clearly a case of FRAUD!!!

I think a fraudulent banker debited someone's acc and decided to transfer the money to the OP's acc. Then, he wants the OP to send the money to his account in another bank so that it won't be traced to him.

The OP should report the case to his bank ASAP, so he won't be regarded as an accomplice to fraud.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by pek(m): 10:50am On Jan 07, 2015
gbadexy:

l had to quote you so that you read the message. scammers promising a client product they dont intend to supply wont use their account because they can be traced with it.
So they give an innocent persons account and you pay it into the account of the fraudstar.
The money may not be much but if its fraud and the duped customer decides to post his or her experience on the social media, its your name and account details that would be posted and if there is a case, you may be treated as an accomplice.
so follow the suggestion of the earlier posters to notify your bsnk first.
nothing is truer than this! you just nailed it and I want to agree that is the case here. I once a victim. it turned out someone gave his friend his account number. the guy duped me by not sending my goods. when I took it up and the guy who owes the account was arrested. It took my intervention for the innocent guy to be released though he paid the money. my one cent, write to the bank and keep a copy just go case. But don't withdraw the money to pay into any account. Leave that to the bank.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by andyanders: 10:55am On Jan 07, 2015
sunnydayasaba:
Don't take any such decision without d consent of ur Bank. Go to your Bank and talk with the customer care, How can a deposit for Union Bank suddenly gets to ur own First Bank acct? That seems very suspicious. Ask your Bank customer care for assistance and advice. Also get the name of the person who called you claiming to work for First Bank and have him talk to d branch of your bank customer care so they can identify him themselves and be sure he's not lying to u.

Be wise, Shit happens in dis country, Use ur Number 6 very well.

Best advise. Op should contact his bank and inform them.Let the bank be the one to call the person and if found genuine, the bank should reprocess for a refund.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by pinkshell(f): 11:06am On Jan 07, 2015
1.What wld u advice d Op to do, if the mony was 'hugier'?
2. And if it wasn't a new year?
Am curious, indulge me.

blemon44:
i thought its a huge sum of money

its only 10k

you can give it back

its a new year

God has greater things in store for you
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by ameheo(m): 11:28am On Jan 07, 2015
Good Lawd!!! Check Out The Beautiful
& Ridiculously Curvy Briana Bette [18+]
http://www.zroclan.com/2015/01/you-see-some-girls-and-wonder-is-she.html?m=1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Win BiG on CARDS/CORNERS / Tony Elumelu Steps Out With Wife As They Attends 2019 UBA CEO Award / Meet The Top Nigerian Instagram Entrepreneurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.