Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,696 members, 7,840,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise (32410 Views)

Pls Advise On Which Bank Is Best For Online Banking / Everything In My Account: Hilarious Bank Teller / Help GTB Cleared My Account And My Account Balance Is Now In Debit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by anitank(f): 11:51am On Jan 07, 2015
Aha, just yesterday I got a N15,000 transfer alert from the same First bank. I doubt if it's any one I know because they would have reached me to let me know. Besides can't remember the last time someone sent me money, it's usually the other way..lol

First bank on the other hand have neither contacted me nor made a reversal. And I'm not going to any bank to lay complaints. They should remove it the way they put it otherwise it's a pair of new shoes for when I resume work.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by shilexholly(m): 11:51am On Jan 07, 2015
Money are not sent to acct name but acct numbas.....dere is possibility of an error in just a figure....still contact d bank sha
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by adetboy: 11:52am On Jan 07, 2015
blemon44:
i thought its a huge sum of money

its only 10k

you can give it back

its a new year

God has greater things in store for you

Assuming it's 100million,will ur advice /comment have changed?

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Gbemini(m): 12:03pm On Jan 07, 2015
dont return it o, chai I beg can you transfer it to my account eco bank 35467999887, God bless you as you do so.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by gogodaye(m): 12:13pm On Jan 07, 2015
iykbethany:
Dear Nairalanders, happy new year to all of you. May God answer all our prayers this year and grant us all our heart desires in jesus name- Amen.

I will go straight to the point.
Today I got a call from someone in Lagos claiming he works with first bank. He called me by my family name and said a certain guy wrongfully transferred 10,000 naira into my first bank account and that i should withdraw the money and transfer it to a Union bank account he gave me. He said I can go to my branch and check my bank statement to confirm that 10k was actually transferred to my account.

I have no problem transferring this money to the account that was given to me, but I am wondering how can first bank transfer money to a wrong account when our account names are not similar in any way. is this a scam? I suspect this people and their motive.

I want to know if I should withdraw this money and send to the guy in lagos or what do i do? I dont want any wahala. I hear some bank staff can use your account without your consent, so i fear someone in first bank might have stolen money from someones account. has anyone here faced similar situation? I need urgent advise because the guy says I should send the money to them tomorrow. WHAT DO I DO?

Moderators, if this is not the right place pls move this topic to the right section, and if possible you can move it to front page as I want as much advise as possible. Thank you

You have no right to keep so funds....if you do not have any legitimate expectation as their source.....
Verify from your bankers if indeed such funds were indeed transferred as deposits into your account.......
If you are satisfied the funds had been wrongly transferred/ deposited into your account......revert to your bankers and ask them to revert same back to its source through the paying institution.....
Do not be a sitting prey to scam artists or unwillingly break the law by doing what is rash....
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Fawklicant: 12:20pm On Jan 07, 2015
vicadex07:

I think that amount is too small to be an insider scam. Go ahead and send it to the original beneficiary

If a bank wrongfully credits your account, they will reverse it without even contacting you. The same way you got a credit alert is the same way you will get a debit alert. Someone is trying to steal here and all some careless people think about is the amount. Do you know that if he does the same thing to 30 people in a day, that is 300k? Replicate that daily and u will know what's up.

Report to your bank ASAP. I will even go as far as calling head office.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by bayulll01(m): 12:22pm On Jan 07, 2015
Jenams:
shut up! I'm a banker, he cud be picked up by efcc if he is nt careful. @op, report the issue to any FBN branch close to u. Tnx
u are not a banker,u are a bank worker,@op is a mistake by a Teller as a result of carelessness and insensitive of the Teller,return it,it not worth it
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by eyeon(m): 12:27pm On Jan 07, 2015
Rightfully send it to my bank account, simple.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by unanonso(m): 12:37pm On Jan 07, 2015
menix:
Som JJC sef dey advise..

@OP.. There is nofin lik fraud in wat u jst explained, this happens a lot especially wiv 1st bank cous most tym d cashiers re tryin to meet TAT wiv d long queue thus omittin checkin d name.

I know their is anoda bank dat has got similar acct no. Series wiv 1st bank, so jst check d union bank acct. If its similar to urs.

Witnessed pple presenting oda bank cheque to a teller 4 cash only 2 b reminded dey re @ d wrong bank.

Well if u still scared, go to ur branch nd complain dat such money shuld be reversed, dey wuld get in contact wiv d teller wo posted it 4 reversal buh am sure d teller is aware of this buh jst not ready to undergo d process cous his branch mgr or head cash wuld nid to authorise nd d reversable wuld b counting against d branch score card.

Pls Bro, limit the use of abbreviations. God bless.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by dominique(f): 12:49pm On Jan 07, 2015
talktofemi:

Yeah. I did.

I won't mince words by saying that you're nothing but a THIEF. A big one without conscience, you deserve to be in jail right now.

3 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Alezy(m): 12:57pm On Jan 07, 2015
blemon44:
i thought its a huge sum of money

its only 10k

you can give it back

its a new year

God has greater things in store for you
Lolz...That means if its a huge sum you will advise him not to return it, what the difference? small or large sum you commit same sin.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by talktofemi: 1:13pm On Jan 07, 2015
dominique:

I won't mince words by saying that you're nothing but a THIEF. A big one without conscience, you deserve to be in jail right now.

In retrospect you might be right.

But a struggling student couldn't possibly reject such 'manna'. Circumstances have a lot of influence on our actions. I just capitalize on the situation, considering that bigger thieves were involved.

Mind you I didn't tell the OP to only spend it. I also said he can leave it in his account for a reversal.

Well, am not in Jail.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by miqos02(m): 2:14pm On Jan 07, 2015
just 10k?

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by adeyemi91(m): 3:00pm On Jan 07, 2015
My advice: Play fool this time,i see bigger one coming. Go and send it, am very sure they'l 1na do it again buh dah 1'l b a vry big 1. Den u'v made it..
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by toniro(m): 3:07pm On Jan 07, 2015
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by cheemahking: 3:30pm On Jan 07, 2015
Becareful darlin...for me ooo, I believe d cashier who made d mistake is suppose 2 contact u in person...and if not..shud direct u 2 ur bank 2 verify and clerify d issue...and not sendin u on an erand 2 go and pay it into sum1's account...u be messenger Omo u sef u be Human being ooo
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by aniyphil: 4:18pm On Jan 07, 2015
I've seen "the good . . .the bad. . .and the ugly" in comments here . . .but this is quite simple, every depositor leaves his/her name and phone number on the deposit slip . . .and in a situation where it was a transfer . . .the account number will be used to get the details of the sender . ..report to your bank and they will reach out to the depositor via his details and probably call him in to verify somethings and if it is a genuine error . . .the money will be returned to the sender with you in the picture.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by KLand(m): 4:38pm On Jan 07, 2015
The person wants to make you complicit in the fraud already committed. Never do as he said. Just go to the nearest branch of the bank to report it. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by KLand(m): 4:40pm On Jan 07, 2015
adeyemi91:
My advice: Play fool this time,i see bigger one coming. Go and send it, am very sure they'l 1na do it again buh dah 1'l b a vry big 1. Den u'v made it..

Pls don't play along. Its a fraud. Just report it to your bank.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 07, 2015
iykbethany:
Thanks everyone for all the advise.
Whether it is fraud or mistake, I already made up my mind to report the case to my bank just in case. So this morning I am going to my first bank branch to report the case and see what they say.

Fact is, i opened this first bank account over 10 years ago, i was in Lagos to pay visa fees and needed to withdraw money from my account, I went to a first bank branch in Lagos but they told me i cannot withdraw money unless from my branch, when i returned to port Harcourt i removed every money in that account because i was angry. Since then I never used the account again. It was some few months back i reactivated the account bc i went to first bank to transfer money to my cousin and noticed some huge changes. The same branch where i opened this account is now bigger, with so many tellers and new facilities and very very less crowd. About ten years ago when i used to operate that account we used to queue for several hours before we could deposit or withdraw money, it was the changes i saw in first bank few months ago that motivated me to reactivate the account with 50,000 naira. I never withdraw any penny since then. I am surprised how this caller got my number and my last name.

I am going to report to my bank and will update the house.

Good decision.
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by exxy(m): 7:39pm On Jan 07, 2015
Funjosh:
Oga Spend it joor. Na you say make them transfer money to your account
Bad guy!,
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by aadeyi: 7:52pm On Jan 07, 2015
exxy:

Bad guy!,

Sent u a PM bro...... Kindly reply asap
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by ogeife: 8:01pm On Jan 07, 2015
Pls report d case 2 ur bank
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by solasola(m): 8:51pm On Jan 07, 2015
haaaa
most likely a scam. maybe u got an sms alert. and u think there was actually a deposit. na lie. as long as you have not withdrawn the money. they should effect the change asap. they want to maga u.

how can first bank want to deposit into union bank or so. pure fraud. no money was deposited to ur acct.

1 Like

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by 9jatatafo(m): 9:08pm On Jan 07, 2015
Guy, money is very sweet but the troubles it generates are enormous. My candid advice is for you to go to your bank, speak with customercare people and explain everything and let the bank fix the matter. 10k to some people is a small money and to some others a lot of money. Just be wise and do what is right.
My question is this, how did the persom who called you know your name and phone number?
#Are you pondering what I am pondering, Pinky?
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by adeyemi91(m): 9:34pm On Jan 07, 2015
KLand:

Pls don't play along. Its a fraud. Just report it to your bank.
Ow..k
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by ice234: 9:41pm On Jan 07, 2015
Go to another branch of FBN and write a complain letter.
Please be detail enough and allow them investigate why it was paid into your account.

2 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by kccarew(f): 10:17pm On Jan 07, 2015
First don't you receive alert, if you do and you didn't receive any... Well... But if you also want to go ahead to the bank, and lay such complains, cool too, then you can know what next to do
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by iykbethany(m): 10:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
I want to update the house. I am sorry i just returned from the village for xmas/new year celebrations so had to attend to so many things today. But anyways...

I was at my first bank branch by 8am this morning, I explained everything to the customer service rep, he directed me to another lady. from the bank I called the same man that phoned me yesterday, he identified himself and says he works at IDIMU branch of first bank, he explained that he had sent several emails to my bank without any response. My bank customer service personnel checked their system and confirmed the emails that the guy sent. She then told me to go to funds transfer department to transfer the money to the Union bank account i was given yesterday.

I went straight to the funds transfer dept, the lady incharge hailed me saying i was a good man that not many people would return the money. I filled up the funds transfer form, handed it back to the lady and the transfer was instant. I called back the guy that has been calling me from IDIMU branch of first bank to confirm i have transferred the money as he instructed me, he was very happy saying he didn't believe i was going to return the money. he said he would give my number to the lady that made the wrong transfer so she can call to thank me but i told him not to bother. I forgot to mention that during the transfer process the funds transfer manager told me there was a slight difference with the account, saying according her computer system YEMISI is the middle name of the account holder, i had to call the guy in Lagos and he says yes thats part of her name so i proceeded to transfer the money to the account.

I want to clear some wrong impression. I came to nairaland not bc i wanted to take the money or anything. I was only worried about the safety of my account, even if the amount was 1 million i would return it back to sender. In my church some years back a girl came to give testimony how Kidnappers illegally used her account to collect money from their victim of which she was arrested and was supposed to be jailed for long time but God intervened bc the police confirmed that she was innocent, since i heard that news i am very careful with Nigerian banking system.

So everything is clear the person that called me from Lagos is truly first bank staff. BUT I am still wondering how a fund that was supposed to go to UNION bank landed in FIRSTBANK account The first 5 digits of My First bank account number is 30065 but the girls Union bank account number starts with 00074, her account name is Yoruba name while mine is Igbo name, there is no similarity in our names or account numbers so I still don't understand how they wrongfully transferred money to my first bank account? is it that the lady has a very bad handwriting she didn't write the figures well or what?

2 Likes

Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by soulglo: 12:42am On Jan 08, 2015
iykbethany:
Dear Nairalanders, happy new year to all of you. May God answer all our prayers this year and grant us all our heart desires in jesus name- Amen.

I will go straight to the point.
Today I got a call from someone in Lagos claiming he works with first bank. He called me by my family name and said a certain guy wrongfully transferred 10,000 naira into my first bank account and that i should withdraw the money and transfer it to a Union bank account he gave me. He said I can go to my branch and check my bank statement to confirm that 10k was actually transferred to my account.

I have no problem transferring this money to the account that was given to me, but I am wondering how can first bank transfer money to a wrong account when our account names are not similar in any way. is this a scam? I suspect this people and their motive.

I want to know if I should withdraw this money and send to the guy in lagos or what do i do? I dont want any wahala. I hear some bank staff can use your account without your consent, so i fear someone in first bank might have stolen money from someones account. has anyone here faced similar situation? I need urgent advise because the guy says I should send the money to them tomorrow. WHAT DO I DO?

Moderators, if this is not the right place pls move this topic to the right section, and if possible you can move it to front page as I want as much advise as possible. Thank you

Read the update. You did the right thing
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by okromahgm(m): 12:53am On Jan 08, 2015
Well, my humble advice for you is that you go to your bank and report the issue.
It may have been an error emanating from ATM transfer via "Quick-teller money transfer" as a similar thing happened to my wife's friend and up till now, the money has not been returned to the rightful owner. The same First-Bank and Union-Bank connection.
PLEASE, DO NOT EAT WHAT IS NOT YOURS!
Re: Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise by iykbethany(m): 4:38am On Jan 08, 2015
okromahgm:
Well, my humble advice for you is that you go to your bank and report the issue.
It may have been an error emanating from ATM transfer via "Quick-teller money transfer" as a similar thing happened to my wife's friend and up till now, the money has not been returned to the rightful owner. The same First-Bank and Union-Bank connection.
PLEASE, DO NOT EAT WHAT IS NOT YOURS!

Nobody tried to or wants to eat anything. You people should try to at least read before commenting. If I want to eat the money as you put it I wont come to nairaland to seek an advise before eating the money. I was worried about the whole thing and came here to seek advise. It is safety concerns that brought me to Nairaland, not about eating another persons money. I do not take what does not belong to me.

I am even regretting not recording my conversation with all those firstbank staff incase of anything in the future. I am planning to go back to firstbank this morning to ask more questions and possibly record all convo, and specially to know from what Union bank account the money was wrongfully transferred to my account so as to make sure it matches the account i transferred money to yesterday.

I have even written a complain letter to firstcontact@firstbanknigeria.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Win BiG on CARDS/CORNERS / Tony Elumelu Steps Out With Wife As They Attends 2019 UBA CEO Award / Meet The Top Nigerian Instagram Entrepreneurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.