Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,283 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? (26087 Views)

Could My Wife Be Cheating? / See How A Wife Was Battered By Her Husband On Christmas Day / Could My Wife Be Cheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 07, 2015
A friend had this experience and he is really getting tire of the whole game.

If this guy buys an IPad today, his wife ll buy her own the following day. Whatever he buys, his wife ll make sure she gets her own and as we chat here right now, everything in that house is in double double and the husband who happens to be my close friend is complaining bitterely

Guess What! They r both working for the same company and the husband got sacked last year but only for his wife to offer to buy car
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by omonnakoda: 12:36pm On Jan 07, 2015
One major failing of human beings is a failure or unwillingness to accept human nature. What is described is just normal human nature that is the way the human mind works at its most basic level. Some people are better than others at disguising their natures but as humans we are pretty much similar there are no good or bad people just circumstances. If we have plenty of food we remember our neighbours and in time of starvation humans have resorted to cannibalism even killing their own children for food. This is not new. To say I cannot do this, I cannot do that is to fail to understand our selves. Under the right conditions we would sell our mothers.
Thankfully for many those conditions do not exist but let us not judge anyone for we are no better!!We all had a good laugh at Suarez's biting but are we different,really? By the way is it jealousy for a man or woman to be unhappy that al their peers have kids and they do not or cannot
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by truehope: 12:38pm On Jan 07, 2015
It is possible for a wife to be envious of her husbnad. Marriage healing books are available at /cornucopiaebooks
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by tenry(m): 12:40pm On Jan 07, 2015
I witnessed one recently, in fact i wanted to create a thread on this issue but the ops beat me to it.
One of my colleagues loved banking job and he was desperate to work in a bank for 3 years without success even though he read accounting. His wife read chemistry and immediately after her NYSC, she relocated to Lagos. She wrote an aptitude test conducted by a consulting firm on behalf of union bank and was successful. She went for the interview and for good 7months, they didn't hear from them again. The lady got one small job shortly and they got married. Precisely a year after my colleague's wife attended the interview, she was sent a job offer mail and was directed to report to the training school the following week with a start up salary of over 200k. My colleague first saw the mail cos he logged in to check her wife's mail. He announced to us in d office and suddenly his mood changed. I need to add that his immediate younger brother was also employed along with his wife by union bank. We were working in a private company with salary little above 100k. Being the kind of person he is, we all knew he was not happy about it cos what could hav caused a mood swing at a time he shld be happy. His mood remained the same nearly to d close of work. One of the big sisters in d office asked him why he was not happy, he just responded coldly that 'nothing'. Then sister B started telling him to forget d fact that he could not get what he has been struggling with over the years and that his wife got it. Destinies ar diff, may be not God's will for him, bla bla bla.
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by batista73: 12:42pm On Jan 07, 2015
Frustration can make you spill out statements that are unfathomable. Most people will feel that way but not utter it.
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Reference(m): 12:42pm On Jan 07, 2015
MizMyColi:
Well generally speaking, I think it's okay to feel slightly envious (emphasis on slightly) but she must watch it! She must not give the devil (if any) a chance.

My dear it is not okay. It is not right, period. If indeed they are married it shows they are not a couple. How can one be envious of oneself. What I see are two people tugging in opposite directions. Though I am a strong advocate of the 'ladder climb' in family development (one gender moves up while the other supports, then the other gender behind moves past while the other supports), I cannot understand what the man is 'celebrating' for since his wife is 'left behind' and I cannot understand what the wife is mourning for if she knows its 'her turn' next and he will be doing the heavy lifting.

I'm sorry, I'm pro institution. I'm pro family and individualism is the worst killer of institutions. I repeat, they are not married or just pretending to be.

1 Like

Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 07, 2015
eckersley:
YES. YES. YES
But ladies do it in a low key/undercover manner

They will employ all manners of guilt-tripping tactics

Since u got promoted,
1. You no longer care for me the MOTHER of your children

2. You just abandoned your family

3. You no longer pray/go to church, neglecting God, Most High
who gave u the promotion and can TAKE IT AWAY IN THE TWINKLE OF AN EYE

blah blah blah

Let a guy say any of the BS she said, and u'll see them feministas and pseudo-women
rights activists shouting

He's intimidated by her success
He's not a real man
He's jealous
She shd divorce his unsupportive ar.se
Blah blah blah

All these feministas and pseudo-women rights activists ehn, una be PROPER WINCH/KPIANCE

What I've noticed about guys like you is that you have low self esteem. You know it deep down in you that you cannot be good enough for any woman. That is why you always grab any opportunity to attack and put down women who want better lives for themselves. Gus who can afford to take care of and treat their women well don't come to nairaland.com to spazz nonsense every now and then.
Why couldn't you just stay on topic? What is so bad about being a feminist, wanting a better life for women in a misogynist society like ours? Mind you, not all feminists are extremists so I'd advice you don't generalise next time.

1 Like

Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by caprini1: 12:45pm On Jan 07, 2015
Yes they are called WITCHES.
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by jimmy101231(m): 12:46pm On Jan 07, 2015
Mynd44:
It is called comparative assessment. Some people make it sound bad but it is normal for people to think that way and as long as it does not make her spiteful or negative, there is nothing wrong in being bothered that someone around you is moving foward and you ain't or not moving fast enough
na only ur comment I see others don high on local weeds

2 Likes

Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by topsonny: 12:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
Visit http://wapaznet.tk for summary of the forcados at the last days of the high school( jamb 2015/2016 recommended novel)
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jan 07, 2015
yes, only if the wife is a witch..
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by omonnakoda: 12:51pm On Jan 07, 2015
Reference:

My dear it is not okay. It is not right, period. If indeed they are married it shows they are not a couple. How can one be envious of oneself. What I see are two people tugging in opposite directions. Though I am a strong advocate of the 'ladder climb' in family development (one gender moves up while the other supports, then the other gender behind moves past while the other supports), I cannot understand what the man is 'celebrating' for since his wife is 'left behind' and I cannot understand what the wife is mourning for if she knows its 'her turn' next and he will be doing the heavy lifting.

I'm sorry, I'm pro institution. I'm pro family and individualism is the worst killer of institutions. I repeat, they are not married or just pretending to be.
Why the Period?? People will always have a different opinion. Everyone gets angry but not everyone is violent. To deny envy or jealousy is just hypocrisy. Envy is a fundamental part of human nature for which we try to find socially acceptable outlets like sport . For me envy is neither good nor bad just like fire it can build or destroy. Rather it is one of those emotions that presents challenges and opportunity for human development. Denial is not the way to manage it

The issue is not whether one experiences so called "negative" emotions but how one manages or channels them within the context of a "group" whether this be a family,community or nation. No normal person in the scenario described above will not experience self doubt or resentment that is NORMAL let us not pretend to be what we are not. I suspect part of the criticism would stem from the fact that it is a woman. Men do worse everyday and that is socially more acceptable
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Junipero: 12:51pm On Jan 07, 2015
MizMyColi:

I think I was speaking more in a general term, than pertaining the issue at hand.

Owh well, I agree. So? smiley

LOL..so? So..you're my friend now smiley
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by diasporaman(m): 12:53pm On Jan 07, 2015
In my own view, a wife could be envious of her husband speaking from the diaspora setting. Everything here is 50/50, there is nothing like full time house wife. Payment of rent and every other bills is sometime shared equally. that's why it is usual for a husband to also baby sit if the wife is at work. The woman has her family back home to take care of. Most marriages are still surviving just by the grace of God
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Reference(m): 12:53pm On Jan 07, 2015
elantraceey:
Envy is an evil trait that eats up a relationship slowly.

Thank you. Should the legs be envious that the face gets all the make-up, all the pampering while it carries the face all around town looking for a free meal. When the chow comes won't the legs benefit as well. Its a pity how people make marital vows but their hearts remain un-coupled. I bet you if they were working properly together they will have been in a far better position. Both of them.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by AreaFada2: 12:54pm On Jan 07, 2015
elantraceey:
Envy is an evil trait that eats up a relationship slowly.

Better pikin.

Abeg you don marry? grin cheesy
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by chiibekee(f): 12:54pm On Jan 07, 2015
Yes if the husband is selfish
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Homguy(m): 12:55pm On Jan 07, 2015
she really doesn't love that man.
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 07, 2015
The answer is no, its usually a man that is envious of his wife's success.
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by elantraceey(f): 12:56pm On Jan 07, 2015
AreaFada2:

Better pikin.

Abeg you don marry? grin cheesy

Yes o tongue

*flaunts my ring*
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by omonnakoda: 12:59pm On Jan 07, 2015
Simple minds see things as good or evil ,good or bad ,God or devil . There is no such thing. Everything has a duality and are part of the same. We like to associate with the "good" and shun the "evil" but thi is hypocrisy and a profound lack of understanding of the nature of phenomena. EVERYTHING has within it in EQUAL MEASURE of the "good" and of the "bad" The so called God and Devil are but the same entity.
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 07, 2015
Depends
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Bibol(f): 1:03pm On Jan 07, 2015
It happens with women who are very ambitious and who probably grew up in a competitive environment. It takes a conscious effort for someone like that to see her husband's success as hers too. Let her find fulfiment in what she is doing at the moment, pursue whatever she knows will make her happy, wait on God and keep supporting her husband. That way she can find true happiness.

She shares the glory with him, after all she bears his name and they are now ONE
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by AreaFada2: 1:03pm On Jan 07, 2015
chiibekee:
Yes if the husband is selfish

No excuse to envy. You're either envious by nature or not.

It's not about his generosity or lack of it, she feels more entitled to success than her hubby.

The man just landed in Canada, may not have even have had time to show true behaviour (good or bad yet).

What she doesn't realise is they are now joined AS ONE.

God has probably blessed her efforts (menial jobs, rigmarole of obtaining papers, etc) with this succeeding hubby.
You wonder why she can't see this as a collective/family success.

Na wa o.
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Reference(m): 1:07pm On Jan 07, 2015
Meldrick:
Ahhh, Yes oooo. It happens very well. Especially when both of them are working class people and it is so prevalent these days. My friend was making the same complain to me, how his wife had a fight with him and was openly telling him they are in competition. Anytime properties are bought, she wants the property in her name. Immediately the guy began his Masters programme, she was feeling very uneasy and insisting she wants to begin too. I really wonder what marriages are turning into.

Don't misuse words. Those are not marrages. Those are business agreements. There are several kinds of human relationships defined by the parties concerned, how they run and what they produce. Marraige is the only one where both parties have constant emotional equilibrium. You feel what your partner feels. In most others the equilibrium is not with either party. Like in commerce, the more you smile the more your customer frowns, in employment the more the company smiles the more you feel cheated, etc.
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by AreaFada2: 1:07pm On Jan 07, 2015
elantraceey:

Yes o tongue

*flaunts my ring*

Hahahaha.

I yaff catchted you. Na nyanga ring be dat. cheesy

Seriously me talk better, let me whisper in your ear, amebor alert!

Shey you sabi dat mango tree for junction? 5pm.

Shey you like Mama Nkechi rice?
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by tellwisdom: 1:10pm On Jan 07, 2015
Only nigerian women do that undecided
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by crackhaus: 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2015
I'm surprised no female has come in here to call the woman insecure, immature, or intimidated by her husband's success gringrin

We all know what this thread would have degenerated into if it were a husband feeling/acting this way.

1 Like

Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Reference(m): 1:19pm On Jan 07, 2015
tenry:
I witnessed one recently, in fact i wanted to create a thread on this issue but the ops beat me to it.
One of my colleagues loved banking job and he was desperate to work in a bank for 3 years without success even though he read accounting. His wife read chemistry and immediately after her NYSC, she relocated to Lagos. She wrote an aptitude test conducted by a consulting firm on behalf of union bank and was successful. She went for the interview and for good 7months, they didn't hear from them again. The lady got one small job shortly and they got married. Precisely a year after my colleague's wife attended the interview, she was sent a job offer mail and was directed to report to the training school the following week with a start up salary of over 200k. My colleague first saw the mail cos he logged in to check her wife's mail. He announced to us in d office and suddenly his mood changed. I need to add that his immediate younger brother was also employed along with his wife by union bank. We were working in a private company with salary little above 100k. Being the kind of person he is, we all knew he was not happy about it cos what could hav caused a mood swing at a time he shld be happy. His mood remained the same nearly to d close of work. One of the big sisters in d office asked him why he was not happy, he just responded coldly that 'nothing'. Then sister B started telling him to forget d fact that he could not get what he has been struggling with over the years and that his wife got it. Destinies ar diff, may be not God's will for him, bla bla bla.

Whenever I climb upstairs to my bedroom I am never worried that one leg will become more muscular than the other. It cannot happen because I have never left one leg in the living room. Both of them will get there. Every motion is temporary.
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by eckersley: 1:30pm On Jan 07, 2015
omonnakoda:
Simple minds see things as good or evil ,good or bad ,God or devil . There is no such thing. Everything has a duality and are part of the same. We like to associate with the "good" and shun the "evil" but thi is hypocrisy and a profound lack of understanding of the nature of phenomena. EVERYTHING has within it in EQUAL MEASURE of the "good" and of the "bad"

The so called God and Devil are but the same entity.
What is this one saying?
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by omonnakoda: 1:32pm On Jan 07, 2015
eckersley:

What is this one saying?
This one? Is your mother OK? Yellow Card!!
Re: Can A Wife Be Envious Of Her Husband's Success? by Reference(m): 1:35pm On Jan 07, 2015
omonnakoda:
Why the Period?? People will always have a different opinion. Everyone gets angry but not everyone is violent. To deny envy or jealousy is just hypocrisy. Envy is a fundamental part of human nature for which we try to find socially acceptable outlets like sport . For me envy is neither good nor bad just like fire it can build or destroy. Rather it is one of those emotions that presents challenges and opportunity for human development. Denial is not the way to manage it

The issue is not whether one experiences so called "negative" emotions but how one manages or channels them within the context of a "group" whether this be a family,community or nation. No normal person in the scenario described above will not experience self doubt or resentment that is NORMAL let us not pretend to be what we are not. I suspect part of the criticism would stem from the fact that it is a woman. Men do worse everyday and that is socially more acceptable

I am speaking about ideals here and shutting the door to excuses no matter who is doing them even me. The fact that many marraiges are faulty doesn't make it ideal. Envy is destructive, (sorry) period. If I envied my wife for any reason I have a conscience that will not justify or re-route it but will condemn me immediately. Those are the ideals we should seek. The institution of marraige is just too weighty to be burdened by personal emotions and individualistic ambitions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Please Avoid Winners Chapel And Oyedepo / Marrying Without Any Source Of Income As A Lady / Women, Childbirth And Laziness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.