Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,533 members, 7,816,301 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Should A Religious Leader Be Politically Neutral? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should A Religious Leader Be Politically Neutral? (573 Views)

Muslim Religious Leader Allows Men To Eat Wives If They Are Hungry / Jimi Agbaje Respond To Calls For Lagos To Be Politically Aligned With The Federa / A Thread For The Politically Neutral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Religious Leader Be Politically Neutral? by Ekennovative(m): 6:49am On Jan 07, 2015
This question arose as a result of two incidences I encountered that prompted that a religious leader should be neutral when it comes to politics. One of them is in the case of the catholic cleric Rev. Father Ejike Mbaka of Adoration Ministry Enugu Nigeria (AMEN )and Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye of The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG).

So, I'd like you to air your opinion on whether a religious leader such as Imam, Pastor, Priest, Prophet or even a native doctor should be politically neutral. I'd also prefer if your opinion has a Koranic, biblical , traditional or philosophical backing. Thanks in advance.
Re: Should A Religious Leader Be Politically Neutral? by Flye: 7:02am On Jan 07, 2015
Their silence under the guise of been neutral has been the reason why Nigeria has been this backward, even in the Bible men of God warned leaders when ever they re going astray. So I expected all men of God to say the truth not biase.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Religious Leader Be Politically Neutral? by Henrypraise: 7:46am On Jan 07, 2015
In biblical tyms, prophets n priests were more or less d voice of the pple, d reverence pple had 4 dia leaders (kings) as @ d old testament was so huge dat de cudnt complain to d king. Hence d mantle of mouth piece rest on d shoulders of the priest n prophets n des pple were more or less d king makers.

In our tyms, clergy n religious, have dia opinion as do we all cos de too ar citizens, de still carry sum anointing n grace n dia teaching n stand ova certain issues av a way of influencing dia congregation. Wen d glory departed saul, it was clear even in d eyes of all d pple, David was just a young man as @ dat tym, d prophet samuel made d neccessary declaration to saul (note: he didn't go about shoutin it in d street or to d israelites) n wen it was tym to annoint anoda he went ahead to pik David who was attending to his fathers flock.

My deduction: clergy n religious can have dia opinion, if de choose to be politicians, fyn but de shud also be ready to face d problems politicians face n d wrath of politicians (just like d way saul killed d priests wen he was lookin 4 David), its dia congregants who have d choice to follow dia words/ teachings or not.

I honestly tink d glory of leadership has departed from d house of GEJ he shud try to get a reconnection wit God b4 14 feb.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Religious Leader Be Politically Neutral? by Richiy(f): 7:55am On Jan 07, 2015
As a religious leader, If you have a message, admonition or prayer for a political leader, go to his house and let him know. Or find a way to contact him.

Don't stand on the puppit making long and unnecessary verdicts knowing how much influence you can be to the religion drunk Nigerians.

#My opinion.

1 Like

Re: Should A Religious Leader Be Politically Neutral? by benkings(m): 8:26am On Jan 07, 2015
Yes, they should be politically neutral but should speak d ugly truth always like father mbaka
Re: Should A Religious Leader Be Politically Neutral? by sebali: 9:22am On Jan 07, 2015
i tink dey have a right to support the rightside.
Religion does not mean set on d fence.....True religion means standing on the rightside.
Again being citizens dey need to tak side because d state of d nation also affects dem.

1 Like

Re: Should A Religious Leader Be Politically Neutral? by Ekennovative(m): 9:28pm On Jan 07, 2015
Thanks for all your comments. I sincerely appreciate. Some of you aired my mind. I also think a religious leader should be allowed to say what is good or bad when he sees one and not admonished to remain mute. The rate at which people are criticizing Rev. Father Ejike Mbaka is very alarming. But just like he included in his speech, "people will misunderstand me and also criticize this speech" and that's exactly what is happening. He also said that before they do so, that they should consult the Holy spirit to find out if he is lying just the same way he consulted Him before saying his. Thanks once more for all your comments, more are still welcomed.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Looters! / Baga Massacre The Deadliest In Boko Haram History Says Amnesty International / How B'haram Uses Diabolical Means To Conscript People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.