Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,869 members, 7,828,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman (1208 Views)

If Buhari Dies Today, It's Because Nigerians Killed Him - APGA Chairman Ike Oye / Buhari Anti-corruption War Is Not Selective-Victor Umeh Former APGA Chairman / Excerpts From Jonathan's Speech At The Tafabalewa Stadium Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by AllBusiness(m): 4:24pm On Jan 08, 2015
The Chairman, All Progressive Grand Alliance, Lagos State, Mr. Campbell Umeh-Nzekwe, in this interview with ENIOLA AKINKUOTU, speaks about next month’s general elections

Has your party adopted President Goodluck Jonathan as its presidential candidate like it did in 2011?

We supported him in 2011 and that was how we were able to defeat the Peoples Democratic Party in the South-East because we learnt our lesson from the Olusegun Obasanjo administration when we won all the elections in the South-East but there was some hanky-panky in Abuja and the powers that be declared that we did not win anywhere. Even former governor Peter Obi’s mandate was snatched and given to Senator Chris Nigige, who was in the PDP then until the court returned our mandate. So, we do not want to fight the Presidency again. We are supporting him not because he has done anything meaningful for the South-East. There is no national project in the South-East today. The only one is the Second Niger Bridge which is being built with our own money because we will pay toll. That is the truth. In fact, I challenge anybody to point to a project that Jonathan has done in the region. Even the so-called Onitsha seaport was a dummy. The airport in Enugu was only renovated and tagged an international airport. How many foreign airlines ply the route?

But now that you say your party is supporting Jonathan, does it mean that the PDP will concede the entire South-East to APGA?

That was the deal we made with him because we had told him from the outset that if he continues to fight APGA, APGA would fight the state PDP and definitely, the APC would take advantage of the situation but if the PDP and APGA have a common agenda that every governorship, House of Representatives and senatorial position in the South-East should go to APGA, then on the presidential level, we would all vote for the PDP. That was the original plan but our brothers in the South-East who are in the PDP are refusing to cooperate with us. They are playing hide-and-seek and are deceiving Jonathan in Abuja that they will win. That is why you can see Peter Obi who resigned as Chairman of the APGA Board of Trustees run to Abuja to become the Deputy Director General of the presidential campaign. This was a governor who never helped APGA win a single senatorial seat in his eight years in power. So, I don’t know the value he will add to Jonathan’s campaign. And I don’t know any election that the Director General of the presidential campaign team, Ahmadu Ali, has won. So, Jonathan is fixing a square peg in a round hole.

Has Ndi Igbo also picked Jonathan as their candidate?

The Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo group is in a dilemma now. In 2011, they automatically picked Jonathan but this time around, they never thought things would be like this but now the game has changed and they are still strategising to see who they will pick but the reality on the ground today favours Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari. It is only a blind man that will think otherwise.

Why do you say so?

The game has changed. As it is, Jonathan has no chance of winning. Buhari seems to have taken over. The PDP has collapsed in the North if you care to know. All those who are running to Aso Rock and making promises to the President are just deceiving him. Jonathan is a sitting President with incumbency factor in his favour but Buhari has the masses and a cult following in the North. In 2011, Buhari won 12 million votes in the North with his ragtag party, the Congress for Progressive Change, without a single governor or senator to campaign for him. Today, his party, the APC, has 14 governors, 43 senators and 176 Reps as well as 625 House of Assembly members. Also, the APC has dominant control of the North-West with a total number of 18.4 million voters and North-East with 10.2 million while South-West has 13.4 million voters. The North sees Buhari as their saviour because they see his candidature as an opportunity for the North to return to power. So, I might not be speaking the mind of my people who have not yet come to terms with the reality. The Igbo and my leaders might not like my position but I am a researcher and I am trying to position my people’s mind instead of them moving about without a compass, thinking that it will be business as usual. The reality has changed.

But with what you have said, can APGA even win any election in the South-East?

Presently, we are more organised than before. Those that abandoned APGA and defected to the PDP are just joking. They made the wrong choice because I can tell you that APGA will become the next opposition in Nigeria. In school, we learnt the rise and fall of empires. The PDP empire is falling and no man can stop it. So, that is the position now. The party is not strong in the South-East. It is not even strong in Ijaw land. The party was just a contraption of the military when it (military) was handing over power. The party has no root. Political party is a local business that starts from the grass roots that leads all the way up but the PDP starts from the top and that is an aberration. A party is supposed to start from a zone and then grow. You can see how the Alliance for Democracy evolved into the Action Congress and then Action Congress of Nigeria and has now grown to the national level to merge with the Congress for Progress Change and the All Nigeria Peoples Party with a strong northern background. These are parties with roots and will stand the test of time. The PDP has no root.

But your party is supporting the PDP’s presidential candidate.

My party at the national level still stands by Jonathan but on a personal note, I don’t support his administration in terms of what his government has left undone in the South-East. We have been supporting Jonathan since 2011 but what have we achieved? If Jonathan loses, APGA will rearrange itself. The Igbo received no development apart from a few appointments under Jonathan. We achieved nothing meaningful. We have no refinery in the South-East. The international airport in Enugu was built in 1957 by the colonial masters. It was only renovated recently.

Enugu was the coal city and its coal was meant to generate power but nothing is done there again. The Igbo race has no industrialised economy right now. Our oil import and export is like selling palm kernel at N50 per bunch and then buying a bottle of palm oil at N500. He has no plan to set up a refinery but wants us to be importing till thy kingdom come. There is nothing to show that he has a plan to build a refinery and there is also high unemployment. Obviously he has lost direction and should not be contesting. Nigeria is the sixth largest producer of oil in the world and does not have a single functional refinery. We have the same problem with power generation.

But the power sector has been privatised.

As an engineer I will give you a clear explanation of power. They privatised the distribution of power as well as administration but the problem we have is power generation and if you cannot generate, can you distribute? So, what are they transmitting? They are just playing games with us. The issue is that no country in the world gives generation of power to individual companies. It is being generated by the government all over the world. It is like that in Germany, Brazil and in the United States. It is only transmission of power that is being done by private individuals. So, this government has failed. The power stations, including Kainji and Egbin, were made by the colonial and military governments. In a civilised environment, Jonathan should not be contesting for re-election.

Are you saying that Buhari can do better?

Buhari has shown leadership by example. We don’t need a microscope to see through him. He has shown integrity and discipline. This is a man that retired as Head of State and has no building in Abuja or Lagos. He has only a storey building in Kaduna. He does not give out money to people. So, already, you know he is not corrupt. He has given a sign of where he is going. He is incorruptible. When the head is good, the body will be good but when the head is rotten, the body cannot be good. So, if they say Buhari’s followers are not good, let us wait and give him a chance. It is the head that will drive the rest of the body. He is the one that will be in charge of appointments.

In 2007, Jonathan and former President Yar’Adua met 3,000 megawatts on the ground. In 2014, we are producing only 3,450 megawatts after spending more than $50bn. That is trillions of naira. So Jonathan and Yar’Adua combined could only produce 450 megawatts of electricity. Can we continue with this system?

SOURCE: http://www.punchng.com/politics/south-east-gained-nothing-from-jonathan-apga-chair/

2 Likes

Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by Raddie(m): 9:51pm On Jan 08, 2015
Now this just made my day!
Why hurl insults at each other when facts can be laid bare

2 Likes

Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by kgbd(m): 10:09pm On Jan 08, 2015
Again no reasonable human will re-elect jona.

5 Likes

Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 08, 2015
atleast second Niger bridge is in the pipeline, that's enough.
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by citizenY(m): 11:09pm On Jan 08, 2015
eliment:
atleast second Niger bridge is in the pipeline. that's enough. :Datleast second Niger bridge is in the pipeline. that's enough.

I have said it somewhere ,this bridge is the mother of all frauds and should private participatipm should not have been allowed .
Why should eventual users be made to pay tolls for the next 25 years when this does not apply to similar federal projects in other zones ot the country?

Its not fair and in a more annoying and despicable turn of events, government has politicised the project ... bridge fot votes

I suspect that our current leader shifted this project to coincide with his secohd term bid.
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by Bruteforce101: 11:31pm On Jan 08, 2015
Lolz. Rev Father Mbaka said the same so its no news. Jona will continue to scam the igbos. Fact

3 Likes

Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by vicadex07(m): 12:03am On Jan 09, 2015
Why is everybody going against jonathan in dieing minute.

Am sure firefire, ichiidodo, temitemi1, babyosisi, gboliwe and even GEJ himself will soon make a U-turn and clamour for change.

Its only a madman that keeps doing the same things and expects a different result. We are all tired of PDP and am sure GEJ also is, but he seems stuck. He should not worry though, he would soon be rescued from the burden of presiding over our nation very soon so he can retire peacefully and enjoy his penision at otueke.

1 Like

Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by tomakint: 12:15am On Jan 09, 2015
Nigeria's problem its as old as Nigeria, fact remains that Nigeria's structural problem cannot be solved by wishful thinking or mere effusions of the mind in the popular saying that Jonathan is not working undecided let it be known by all and sundry that this Jonathan has done for the Southeast what no previous administrations have done for the Igbos and that is - sense of belonging! Igbos can always leverage on that........
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by size38: 12:30am On Jan 09, 2015
Pls the Igbos should stop complaining. GEJ has done and given to them everything he promised them. GEJ has built for them second niger bridge, ugwuta seaport, Aba container terminal, international airport in enugu etc. What do they want again? Or do they want to succeed GEj in office? If GEJ promised them that, I don't think that promise will be fulfilled. because I don't see any Igbo man or woman becoming d president of nigeria at least in d next 100 yrs.

1 Like

Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by daniel2090: 5:04am On Jan 09, 2015
kgbd:
majority are unreasonable.give them rice and chicken and they will sell their integrity, future and progress rather than fight against profound stagnation or snaily progress of the last 5yrs

1 Like

Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by focus7: 5:15am On Jan 09, 2015
APGA chairman was wrong and is suffering memory lost. What of the adopted names, Good Jonathan Ebele Azekwe Chuckwuemeka, is that not an achievement on the igbo part?

1 Like

Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by KanwuliaJara: 5:23am On Jan 09, 2015
What did 'SOUTH-EAST' gain from OJUKWU?
Abi 'BIAFRICA' nor reasssssh una? cheesy
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by fitzmayowa: 5:28am On Jan 09, 2015
kgbd:

I guess same should be said about those that will vote GMB right

Everybody cannot vote GEJ/GMB so stop making comments like this...
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by fitzmayowa: 5:30am On Jan 09, 2015
focus7:
APGA chairman was wrong and is suffering memory lost. What of the adopted names, Good Jonathan Ebele Azekwe Chuckwuemeka, is that not an achievement on the igbo part?

LMAO...grin

BTW does APGA now have factional voice Because i read on this forum some few months ago where APGA national chairman said they are all in for GEJ whether he performed or not...

So how come the South west chairman is saying another thing I hope its not what am thinking...grin
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by FKO81(m): 5:40am On Jan 09, 2015
Watch out GEJ campaign trail in Coal city today at Nnamdi Azikiwe stadium Enugu, not the village meetings and town hall meetings Buhari/Osibanjo are holding in south/south. APC don't bank on Igbo votes these guys you are meeting are business men, 98% of Igbo votes will go to GEJ, my humble advice.
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by 9jii(m): 6:51am On Jan 09, 2015
Sometimes I don't Blame Easterners for Politics of Bigotry as They are Learners In Nigerian Politic.

But Many of them are Catching up now at the Expense of Being insulted

Will Get there
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by otokx(m): 7:17am On Jan 09, 2015
Truth is bitter and the APGA chairman has said it. The worse part is if you look closely even in the south south there is no major project that you can attribute to GEJ.

The dualization of the east west road should have been but its uncompleted and actually abandoned at major points. Even Amaechi in his second tenure that they say he did not work gave us Port Harcourt Mall. Omehia gave us Eleme junction flyover.

What project from scratch did GEJ do for south south?
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 09, 2015
citizenY:

I have said it somewhere ,this bridge is the mother of all frauds and should private participatipm should not have been allowed .
Why should eventual users be made to pay tolls for the next 25 years when this does not apply to similar federal projects in other zones ot the country?

Its not fair and in a more annoying and despicable turn of events, government has politicised the project ... bridge fot votes

I suspect that our current leader shifted this project to coincide with his secohd term bid.
almost all Nigerian politicians know how to chess with the southeast
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by meracool(m): 7:59am On Jan 09, 2015
GEJ Has Failed the whole of Nigeria...

Vote The desired Change that we all hope for ..

Vote GMB./PYO...
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by meracool(m): 8:01am On Jan 09, 2015
otokx:
Truth is bitter and the APGA chairman has said it. The worse part is if you look closely even in the south south there is no major project that you can attribute to GEJ.

The dualization of the east west road should have been but its uncompleted and actually abandoned at major points. Even Amaechi in his second tenure that they say he did not work gave us Port Harcourt Mall. Omehia gave us Eleme junction flyover.

What project from scratch did GEJ do for south south?

Am Afraid .
NOTHING is the answer.
Re: South East Gained Nothing From Jonathan – APGA Chairman by Nobody: 8:07am On Jan 09, 2015
So, if they say Buhari’s followers are not good, let us wait and give him a chance. It is the head that will drive the rest of the body. He is the one that will be in charge of appointments.

food for thought..

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye - I Hate Politicians..they Are Liars / Asari- Dokubo Blasts Jonathan Again....... / Fani Kayode Slams Buhari Again [look]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.