Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News (33729 Views)

Breaking:- Investors Flee Nigeria - Bloomberg News!!! / Aisha Buhari: Why President-elect’s Wife May Not Be Nigeria’s Next First Lady / Akpabio, Etiebet Trade Blames Over Jonathan’s Election Loss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by axum: 5:00pm On Jan 11, 2015
imoleay0:
Dr Goodluck Jonathan till 2019!

When did he become a Dr.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:
There are too many Harvard trained economists in Nigeria who want to bring foreign economic theories which were fashioned in places that is not Nigeria. Our economic policy must be suited for us. We have to find a way to tweak then to suit Nigerian and not say because it worked in America, it will work here. That is false. If we should borrow economic policies, lets borrow from nations that have similar problems.

Our when coming up with policies, people who actually live in Nigeria, do business in Nigeria and walk the streets with Nigerians should be part of the think tank

I couldn't disagree with you more.

Nigeria is not unique in her issues.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:
Nigeria wants investors to looks at us seriously but our issues are just too silly. We have a presidency where a lot of people in government throw jabs at a certain religion.

Too much attention is paid to ethnic divisions

We are simply unserious about infrastructure

Power supply is a nightmare

We don't have any long term economic plan

I don't think people actually sit down and ask why we are this way.
Primitiveness is in the genes of Nigerians! PERIOD!
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Ikengawo: 5:19pm On Jan 11, 2015
muh4lyf:
The didn't destroy Niger delta,it was corrupt niger delta leaders that destroyed Niger delta. They are corrupt and selfish,they stole the money meant for their people so before you conclude please analyse

LOL at they didn't destroy the Niger Delta

I have noticed that an ignorant Nigerian will always say his wife in barren because 'corrupt' and 'leaders'. Anytime I see these two words in a sentence I know the person has no explanation to the question at hand.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by muh4lyf(m): 5:30pm On Jan 11, 2015
Ikengawo:

LOL at they didn't destroy the Niger Delta

I have noticed that an ignorant Nigerian will always say his wife in barren because 'corrupt' and 'leaders'. Anytime I see these two words in a sentence I know the person has no explanation to the question at hand.
James Ibori is an example of one of Niger delta's corrupt leader.... I guess you're the one that has no explanation for the allegation I made... The truth is very glaring. We all complain that the white men don't like us. The question is,do we love ourselves? I'd live you to ponder on that... If you don't agree that Nigeria is the way it is because of corruption,then I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by fulanigirl(f): 5:32pm On Jan 11, 2015
kolokolobi:
@fulanigirl...I get.
So is the audit for ever I thought the report was to be made ready end of October or there is a deliberate attempt to keep it away till after the elections. Just thinking.

I think there is deliberate attempt to just not do it, even if it is done it's just a farce. That report will not be independent not will the audit.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Heffalump(m): 5:50pm On Jan 11, 2015
Kolade354:
your signature is enough to support a man who abadon chibok girlz................mention one tangible achievement of the drunkard in your state.

You speak like a blind man. If you don't see, don't you hear too? Stay there and be deceived by your APC party.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Bevista: 5:50pm On Jan 11, 2015
duni04:

They're dealing with volatility from two ends, the price per dollar of crude, and the value of the naira against the dollar. It actually makes more sense to maintain the status quo till we enter a more stable regime of both price of crude and naira value. We could have prevented this if we'd accepted the subsidy removal in 2012. We'd probably be enjoying N60-N80 petrol now, or even lower. Instead we're waiting for the government to reduce the price for us.
I completely agree with you on the stability issue as it concerns PMS. However, if your point regarding enjoying N60-N80 petrol was valid, then why am I not enjoying such price differential in AGO which you and I know it's not subsidized.

If the price of AGO does not reflect market realities even after complete removal of subsidy, what is the guarantee that the price of PMS will do so upon full deregulation.

The government seems to still FIX prices even after deregulation. Just curious.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Kolade354(m): 6:01pm On Jan 11, 2015
Heffalump:

You speak like a blind man. If you don't see, don't you hear too? Stay there and be deceived by your APC party.
Is it difficult for you to just mention his achievement here. It is you who still have believe in pdp who has use 16 yearz at the helms of affair with no stable power supply,unemployment at its peak,corruption,no working refinery to mention a few. Where are you even from?.............Southener i guess.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by duni04(m): 6:04pm On Jan 11, 2015
Bevista:

I completely agree with you on the stability issue as it concerns PMS. However, if your point regarding enjoying N60-N80 petrol was valid, then why am I not enjoying such price differential in AGO which you and I know it's not subsidized.

If the price of AGO does not reflect market realities even after complete removal of subsidy, what is the guarantee that the price of PMS will do so upon full deregulation.

The government seems to still FIX prices even after deregulation. Just curious.
Maybe the importers have conspired to keep the prices high. The major motivation for subsidy removal is to encourage investment in local Refining with new refineries, not to encourage competition amongst importers. Only a few people are allowed to import (Otedola & friends) so its very easy for them to sit around a table and fix prices. Let's see how the government or cartels will control prices in a fully liberalised downstream sector with both local and foreign participants.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Ikengawo: 6:12pm On Jan 11, 2015
muh4lyf:
James Ibori is an example of one of Niger delta's corrupt leader.... I guess you're the one that has no explanation for the allegation I made... The truth is very glaring. We all complain that the white men don't like us. The question is,do we love ourselves? I'd live you to ponder on that... If you don't agree that Nigeria is the way it is because of corruption,then I rest my case.

James Ibori's oil company dumped it's excess oil into the Niger Delta? Even floods are blamed on politicians. Sometimes I wonder if out IQ is what's killing us.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by bamidbamid: 6:14pm On Jan 11, 2015
datribune:

Thanx & no thanx. We vote 4 change. However We wish u what u wish us. May Almighty God giv u a leader dat will govern ur native land d way GEJ has governed Nigeria IJN we pray. Amen
Amen and Amen... besides dat guy is a bloody Nigerian, one of dose otuekite propagandist.. may u and ur generations unborn rot in h*ll...
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Bevista: 6:18pm On Jan 11, 2015
duni04:

Maybe the importers have conspired to keep the prices high. The major motivation for subsidy removal is to encourage investment in local Refining with new refineries, not to encourage competition amongst importers. Only a few people are allowed to import (Otedola & friends) so its very easy for them to sit around a table and fix prices. Let's see how the government or cartels will control prices in a fully liberalised downstream sector with both local and foreign participants.
'only a few people are allowed to import...'
Why is the government allowing only a few people to import?

'...in a fully liberalised downstream sector'
The government seems to think that subsidy removal and full liberalization are synonymous. If the govt was genuinely interested in fully liberalizing the sector, passing the PIB would be a significant first step., as price deregulation is only a small component of full liberalization.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Orikinla(m): 6:23pm On Jan 11, 2015
imoleay0:
Dr Goodluck Jonathan till 2019!
[size=18pt]GEJ himself knows that he cannot win a free and fair presidential election.
If he has succeeded in his 6 years of being President of Nigeria, he will not be seeking for a second term. But the conviction of his administrative failures as President and Commander-in-Chief and the bad legacy he would leave is why he is desperately seeking another term of 4 years to see how he can redeem his bad public image and maladministration of his grossly corrupt and incompetent government in the history of Nigeria.
When the New York Times finds your government grossly corrupt and your answer is to sack the governor of the apex bank, you have only shown how terrible you are. The lack of accountability is enough to show that this is the most irresponsible administration in the history of Nigeria with the most corrupt civil service from the Niger Delta to Abuja. Those inside the system know how horrible and terrible it is. From the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), corrupt practices are the order of the day. Bribery and corruption have bastardized the public office. [/size]

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by jkross(m): 6:43pm On Jan 11, 2015
Kolade354:
your signature is enough to support a man who abadon chibok girlz................mention one tangible achievement of the drunkard in your state.

How did he abandon chibok girls..?
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by muh4lyf(m): 6:43pm On Jan 11, 2015
Ikengawo:

James Ibori's oil company dumped it's excess oil into the Niger Delta? Even floods are blamed on politicians. Sometimes I wonder if out IQ is what's killing us.
Well the point is OUR NIGERIA is in mess. I pray for God to shower His mercy on us.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Kolade354(m): 6:48pm On Jan 11, 2015
jkross:

How did he abandon chibok girls..?
How many month does he took him to visit the parent of the gurlz?.................I pray you dont lose your loved ones to know how it feels.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by eyinjuege: 6:54pm On Jan 11, 2015
anonimi:

Where were you when Jonathan wanted to LIBERALISE the downstream oil sector that would have allowed investors in refineries to ULTIMATELY bring down price though enhanced COMPETITION?

Was this not what happened with the

- Telecoms
and
- Cement

sectors

From the little I have observed about President Jonathan, he seems to lack the political will to move Nigeria forward.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by frankie15x(m): 6:57pm On Jan 11, 2015
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by kolokolobi(m): 7:06pm On Jan 11, 2015
@fulanigirl.....I'm amazed. Cos I even heard the finance minister promising that it will be done by an independent audit firm. Looks like status quo.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by t2luv1: 7:53pm On Jan 11, 2015
arsetalks:
Educate me please. Why exactly should the fuel subsidy be removed.

Let's do this please.

Edited - I mean why should it be removed. Oya educate me.

Oya Je kin educate e: Removing the subsidy will really let the market decide the actual cost of the product. Right now nobody really know the true cost of bringing the product into the country. I am a firm believer in free market system. This current set up allows for corruption because there is no transparency. The importer operates in an environment where there are no risk involve in what they are doing, because the subsidy automatically guarantees them huge returns on their investment. The essence of a free market economy is base solely on risk and reward. Why should the government intervene in the en devour.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by juman(m): 7:56pm On Jan 11, 2015
The masses has suffered so much in this failed one nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by iiiyyyk(m): 8:16pm On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:

Wrong.

I support removal of subsidy but inna country like Nigeria where public officers are not know for being accountable, I suggested it was continued and the reason is simple. The subsidy is the only way the people fells like the government is doing anything reasonable for them.

When the subsidy was removed(even partially), how has the money affected the people? What has changed? What has happened to the money saved?

How has the money affected the man on the street? We were told there will be palliatives and some silly buses where are they? Have you rode one before? Do you know someone who has?

If the money saved form the partial removal was used to fix just one refinery it would have been better. What has been done with the money?

Throughout the oil boom of last year what was done with the excess funds? Did we build or fix our refineries? Did we use the money to fix our power supply or make our society more secured.

The subsidy removal will have no effect on Nigerians due to corruption so why not just leave it as it was the only way it would benefit the common man. That is economics a government should look at not some economic theory that will end up a failure

Thank bro, Pdp and their followers shld give us anwers to those vital questions
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by sammyj: 8:39pm On Jan 11, 2015
I wonder the school you attended to attack an objective well constructed fact, go back to school bro!!!
vanunu:

I know that u are one of those who objected to subsidy removal. At times I wonder the kind of school u people went to.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by jdilight(m): 8:51pm On Jan 11, 2015
smile4kenn:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-08/o-neill-says-jonathan-vote-loss-may-be-seen-as-nigeria-positive.html

This is like someone in Lagos giving news of what is happening in abia state. This is the government that has witnessed the highest foreign investment after independence.

White people really think they are gods to black.

We swallow all the shit that come from them. Blacks need to believe in something, even if it is a wrong thing.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by pkang: 9:14pm On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:
There are loads of investors who want to come into Nigeria but they don't really see the government. They expect the government tl be serious in things like security and power supply which is something that is needed tl trigger economic growth but we seem not to care about them.

I am still here wondering why we have no private refineries yet or why our public refineries are not working well

Am yet to know if Jonathan has stopped investors or encouraged them. Why are these foreigners involving in the politics of Nigeria.
It's like to me they have negative thought which Jonathan has known.
Jonathan called for agriculture, mechanical and electrical investors. They talked of insecurity which is better now. Where were these foreigners when OBJ ruled.
We shall soon know there secrets against Jonathan and Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by arsetalks(m): 12:24am On Jan 12, 2015
t2luv1:

Oya Je kin educate e: Removing the subsidy will really let the market decide the actual cost of the product. Right now nobody really know the true cost of bringing the product into the country. I am a firm believer in free market system. This current set up allows for corruption because there is no transparency. The importer operates in an environment where there are no risk involve in what they are doing, because the subsidy automatically guarantees them huge returns on their investment. The essence of a free market economy is base solely on risk and reward. Why should the government intervene in the en devour.
like the market decided for diesel and kerosene?
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Ikengawo: 5:02am On Jan 12, 2015
muh4lyf:
Well the point is OUR NIGERIA is in mess. I pray for God to shower His mercy on us.
no thats not the point. The point is were so lazy that every problem from shell spilling oil to floods to terrorism, to erosion, to test failure, to infertility to drought is blamed on "corruption" and "bad leaders" until the solutions evade us it's pathetic.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 5:27am On Jan 12, 2015
Orikinla:

[size=18pt]GEJ himself knows that he cannot win a free and fair presidential election.
If he has succeeded in his 6 years of being President of Nigeria, he will not be seeking for a second term. But the conviction of his administrative failures as President and Commander-in-Chief and the bad legacy he would leave is why he is desperately seeking another term of 4 years to see how he can redeem his bad public image and maladministration of his grossly corrupt and incompetent government in the history of Nigeria.
When the New York Times finds your government grossly corrupt and your answer is to sack the governor of the apex bank, you have only shown how terrible you are. The lack of accountability is enough to show that this is the most irresponsible administration in the history of Nigeria with the most corrupt civil service from the Niger Delta to Abuja. Those inside the system know how horrible and terrible it is. From the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), corrupt practices are the order of the day. Bribery and corruption have bastardized the public office. [/size]

He cannot win in a free and fair elections baa? Tell me which election lost by the opposition has ever been free and fair?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by tit(f): 6:49am On Jan 12, 2015
APC too make mouth.
Please do not take heed of them.
GEJ is going to win the failbuhari elections and continue his transformation agenda.
Middle-class Nigerians have to learn to work hard and be creative.
They have to stop being over dependent on Niger Delta oil.
If you look at most of the comments above they all seem fixated on one thing:
getting their greedy dirty paws on Niger delta oil revenue!

They will surely be disappointed!
Maybe they think once Buhari is president, the US would start buying oil from Nigeria again!
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by dasparrow: 9:23am On Jan 12, 2015
all4naija:
Primitiveness is in the genes of Nigerians! PERIOD!

This is a new year 'allagainstnaija'. Respect yourself this 2015. Each time you insult ALL Nigerians, you are equally insulting your father who is a Nigerian too in case you have forgotten. Don't make me descend on you like a tornado this new year. I can see that you have failed to take your medication and are suffering a relapse. Go and take your meds and stay off Nairaland until you start making some sense. RESPECT YOURSELF and don't carry your nonsense from last year into this new year. You have been warned.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 12, 2015
dasparrow:

This is a new year 'allagainstnaija'. Respect yourself this 2015. Each time you insult ALL Nigerians, you are equally insulting your father who is a Nigerian too in case you have forgotten. Don't make me descend on you like a tornado this new year. I can see that you have failed to take your medication and are suffering a relapse. Go and take your meds and stay off Nairaland until you start making some sense. RESPECT YOURSELF and don't carry your nonsense from last year into this new year. You have been warned.
Leave me alone! stop calling me other names. You hate to hear the truth that is the problem. I don't do new year thing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Peter Obi Votes In Anambra / Sokoto Senator Elect, Governor Tambuwal Collects His Results Sheet (Pics) / Ejitayo Jegede Celebrates His Win On The Street (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.