Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,186 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? (35933 Views)

Buhari’s Military Action In Gambia Without Approval – Senator Chukwuka Utazi / Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 / UK Warns Buhari Against Military Action In Niger Delta - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by notoriousbabe: 7:23pm On Jan 20, 2015
Why should he be sorry,he{they}did the needful to safe Nigera from collapsing,he wasn't the only one so they should spare the guy jo
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by RotrEmmanuel: 7:24pm On Jan 20, 2015
peckhamboi:
Seun, why are you bringing this irrelevant issue up at this time.

The coup happened over 30 years ago and I remember vividly there were wild jubiliation all over the country after the coup.

I personally was happy that there was a coup at that point in time because the level of looting was the same as Jonathan's administration.

This is why I hate pro APCs, In 30yrears ago u were not even born..stop telling lies!!

How u take witness the coup

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by zaedd: 7:25pm On Jan 20, 2015
Everybody want to hear about GMB. In fact the most talked about in the media right. God bless GMB
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ichidodo: 7:26pm On Jan 20, 2015
His coup set Nigeria back from Second World Nation with a stable economy, infrastructure and welfare package for the people to a Third World Nation with poverty,cancelled or dismantled infrastructure delivery systems, wild spread economic shortages and hunger....Now he wants to come back and finish off the rest IBB didn't give him time to destroy or the little GEJ has managed to resucitate and revive??.....Since he isn't sorry for his disservice to the people then we don't need his service at his old age never mind sending Nigeria back to the fourth world or stone age...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by bobchigar(m): 7:27pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:
From his recent Channels TV Interview:

Are you sorry for bringing to an end the Shagari government?

GMB: No, I'm not sorry, because I mentioned why we did it, and we proved our case.

That's a democratic process that could have extended.

GMB: So when you are a democracy you are entitled to steal your treasury dry, and put your people into pauperized positions, and destroy institutions, and destroy infrastructure?

So you blame Shagari for that coup?

GMB: Don't personalize. I'll blame the second republic...

For that?

GMB: For that. And when we came out we told the nation why and we conducted enquiries, documentary ones, not just hearsay.

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_487PhkxUQ (start at 5:37)

So he still believes it is ok for the military to overthrow a democratic government if the democratic government is corrupt. Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt. If the General's view is right, then a military coup in 2015 is justified...

Do you agree? undecided (I strongly disagree because dictatorship is a greater evil than corruption. You can fight corruption within democracy)

Not just that many people belief that this administration is corrupt but everybody even administrators know that they are corrupt.in view of this, we need change and there shall be change. Sai Buhari
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:
From his recent Channels TV Interview:

Are you sorry for bringing to an end the Shagari government?

GMB: No, I'm not sorry, because I mentioned why we did it, and we proved our case.

That's a democratic process that could have extended.

GMB: So when you are a democracy you are entitled to steal your treasury dry, and put your people into pauperized positions, and destroy institutions, and destroy infrastructure?

So you blame Shagari for that coup?

We are long overdue for another set and a Coup D'etat would be most welcomed by me.

Illustrious and glorious Men of our military forces should get together and "Git Er Done".
GMB: Don't personalize. I'll blame the second republic...

For that?

GMB: For that. And when we came out we told the nation why and we conducted enquiries, documentary ones, not just hearsay.

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_487PhkxUQ (start at 5:37)

So he still believes it is ok for the military to overthrow a democratic government if the democratic government is corrupt. Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt. If the General's view is right, then a military coup in 2015 is justified...

Do you agree? undecided (I strongly disagree because dictatorship is a greater evil than corruption. You can fight corruption within democracy)
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by BonaVIta(m): 7:29pm On Jan 20, 2015
Ok.

Was there no mismanagement of fund through out his short tenure?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by notoriousbabe: 7:32pm On Jan 20, 2015
dridowu:
If military coup will stop corruption, i support.
If military coup will improve our health sector , i support.
If milatary coup will improve our education system , i support.
If military coup will bring peace, happiness, joy and unity to the common man like me , then i have no choice than to support .
#FeBuhari14
#TeamChangeNigeria4Good
God bless you jare. Coup ko couple ni

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by DeCritique(m): 7:33pm On Jan 20, 2015
iykofias:
Mr. Seun pls stop reasoning like a hen. I Dont know wot u were given to sell but we are definitely not buying

If I was Seun, I believe I'd have banned you a long time ago. You've no right to insult the owner of this site. Freedom of Information bill wasn't equally passed here...!!

4 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by PassingShot(m): 7:37pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun, if one was not around or old enough to understand the level of corruption at that time, a simple research will provide the justification for the coup. The Shagari regime was so so reckless that if it was not overthrown it could have collapsed Nigeria.

I remember the jubilation across the country after the coup. Agreed that they engaged in high handedness in some instances which made Nigerians to cry for change, alas it didn't take long before we realized the mistake in not supporting GMB's regime because IBB came, laughed and dribbled us to loot the nation blind. IBB is really devilish.

If Buhari had looted or not found to be upright, he would not have dared attempting to return as a civilian president.

I support him not feeling sorry for truncating the Shagari's regime even though he was not the architect of that coup.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by spankyflex(m): 7:38pm On Jan 20, 2015
babadee1:

Nigeria is not yet a democracy. Even President Jonathan himself admitted that the country has never conducted any free and fair elections since 1960. You're making an issue about coups but stolen elections are just as bad if not much worse. Forcing yourself on the people as their leader whether by bullets or by ballots should not be tolerable in this day and age.
Until ruling parties begin to lose elections with some regularity and government begins to transition from one party to another, Nigeria is still an autocracy not a democracy. Democracy is about the freedom to choose your own leaders and we don't have that yet in Nigeria.
PDP needs to lose this election for that to begin to happen.
mehn this your statement is ridiculous, how on earth is loosing election by the ruling Patty democracy?

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by pat077: 7:38pm On Jan 20, 2015
mentorandfriend:
Uncle Seun, please I have a question for ya. Was there widespread, shameless, brazen corruption in broad daylight during Shagari's regime? YES. Did the military who took over continue in the broad day light corruption? NO. So what should he be sorry about?
he shld b sorry bcoz he couldn't holdon to power to clean-up d so call mess he inherited... But, rather allow a more corrupt govt to takeover.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by PassingShot(m): 7:39pm On Jan 20, 2015
BonaVIta:
Ok.

Was there no mismanagement of fund through out his short tenure?

Mismanagement of fund cannot equate to stealing, looting and corruption.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by babadee1(m): 7:39pm On Jan 20, 2015
Buhari was not involved in the planning or execution of the 1983 coup. He was invited to be head of state by other officers after the coup had been carried out.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by fpeter(f): 7:39pm On Jan 20, 2015
peckhamboi:
Seun, why are you bringing this irrelevant issue up at this time.

The coup happened over 30 years ago and I remember vividly there were wild jubiliation all over the country after the coup.

I personally was happy that there was a coup at that point in time because the level of looting was the same as Jonathan's administration.
I

Bros I hail you o! You no be today's meat at all to fit remember coup of over 30yrs.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by spankyflex(m): 7:40pm On Jan 20, 2015
hazyfm1:
THEN NIGERIA WAS NOT RIPE ENOUGH FOR DEMOCRACY
BLAME THE COLONIALS NOT THE MILITARY
I wonder how an educated person should come up with this lame excuse
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by PassingShot(m): 7:40pm On Jan 20, 2015
pat077:
he shld b sorry bcoz he couldn't holdon to power to clean-up d so call mess he inherited... But, rather allow a more corrupt govt to takeover.

That he was overthrown wasn't his fault. He actually avoided killing IBB because he had the chance after getting knowledge of his plan but he chose not to.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Seun(m): 7:43pm On Jan 20, 2015
PassingShot:
Seun, if one was not around or old enough to understand the level of corruption at that time, a simple research will provide the justification for the coup. The Shagari regime was so so reckless that if it was not overthrown it could have collapsed Nigeria.
How would it have collapsed Nigeria, exactly?
What did they do wrong that has not been done by subsequent military and civilian governments? (and Nigeria is still standing)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by killuminati(m): 7:44pm On Jan 20, 2015
Regret ko, pardon ni! Mscteeewww!
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by babadee1(m): 7:44pm On Jan 20, 2015
spankyflex:
mehn this your statement is ridiculous, how on earth is loosing election by the ruling Patty democracy?

They have elections in North Korea, Cuba, China, Vietnam and Eritrea. One party always wins so those countries are not democracies. If people vote and the ruling party rigs the election in their favour that is not democracy.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by jingh(f): 7:44pm On Jan 20, 2015
iykofias:
Mr. Seun pls stop reasoning like a hen. I Dont know wot u were given to sell but we are definitely not buying
reply this if you are not ban yet
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by spankyflex(m): 7:47pm On Jan 20, 2015
PassingShot:

I remember the jubilation across the country after the coup. Agreed that they engaged in high handedness in some instances which made Nigerians to cry for change, alas it didn't take long before we realized the mistake in not supporting GMB's regime because IBB came, laughed and dribbled us to loot the nation blind. IBB is really devilish.

If Buhari had looted or not found to be upright, he would not have dared attempting to return as a civilian president.

I support him not feeling sorry for truncating the Shagari's regime even though he was not the architect of that coup.
brother there is no justification for any coup d'etat
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by iykofias(m): 7:48pm On Jan 20, 2015
jingh:
reply this if you are not ban yet
ban me? na today we start to dey chop ban like gala
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by drey076(m): 7:48pm On Jan 20, 2015
All this critics just makes me to love buhari d more
As a former military head of state, why should he apologise?

Sai buhari jooor

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Champele(m): 7:48pm On Jan 20, 2015
If im in charge of NG GOV,i will take all the people involved with coup and make sure they get punish for their crime.simple

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by PassingShot(m): 7:48pm On Jan 20, 2015
spankyflex:
brother there is no justification for any coup d'etat

Your opinion. Mine is different though.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by spankyflex(m): 7:49pm On Jan 20, 2015
babadee1:

They have elections in North Korea, Cuba, China, Vietnam and Eritrea. One party always wins so those countries are not democracies. If people vote and the ruling party rigs the election in their favour that is not democracy.
so this your own definition of democracy?is this bad.chai

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Governor Diri On Nnamdi Kanu: Gumi Has Become Untouchable / Aviation: Gbajabiamila Walks Out Emefiele’s Representative From Meeting / Kabaka Declares Support For Tinubu, Sings "Emilokan" Song (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.