Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? (35973 Views)

Buhari’s Military Action In Gambia Without Approval – Senator Chukwuka Utazi / Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 / UK Warns Buhari Against Military Action In Niger Delta - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by oweman: 7:49pm On Jan 20, 2015
That coup was very neccesary as even attempt to change the government democratically was npt allowed including instructing the defence infustries coporation in kaduna to mass produce the then populart OFN machine guns for the mopols and conbentional pplice as tools for supresion.
S o all in all that coup was in the interest of the nation ! There cant be regret .
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Seun(m): 7:49pm On Jan 20, 2015
babadee1:
Buhari was not involved in the planning or execution of the 1983 coup. He was invited to be head of state by other officers after the coup had been carried out.
General Buhari has not denied his share of responsibility for the coup. He was aware of the coup before it happened and he supported it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by texalux(m): 7:50pm On Jan 20, 2015
Nawa o people why are you soo wicked like this? you first said this man does not have certificate people reply you that eventhough he present Nepa bill as his credentials they will vote him, you later said he can't remeber his phone number later said he is a sick man that one no do you still went ahead to say he is too old now you are talking about the coup that has hapen before you were born, for the fact that you people are afraid of Buhari that shows you have case to answer, Buhari till GEJ get sense sai Buhari hahahahahahaha!
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by iykofias(m): 7:52pm On Jan 20, 2015
DeCritique:

If I was Seun, I believe I'd have banned you a long time ago. You've no right to insult the owner of this site. Freedom of Information bill wasn't equally passed here...!!
getout of here, go peel egusi for ur mama
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Champele(m): 7:53pm On Jan 20, 2015
PassingShot:
Seun, if one was not around or old enough to understand the level of corruption at that time, a simple research will provide the justification for the coup. The Shagari regime was so so reckless that if it was not overthrown it could have collapsed Nigeria.

I remember the jubilation across the country after the coup. Agreed that they engaged in high handedness in some instances which made Nigerians to cry for change, alas it didn't take long before we realized the mistake in not supporting GMB's regime because IBB came, laughed and dribbled us to loot the nation blind. IBB is really devilish.

If Buhari had looted or not found to be upright, he would not have dared attempting to return as a civilian president.

I support him not feeling sorry for truncating the Shagari's regime even though he was not the architect of that coup.
there is not justification for coup nwokem,truth is life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by notoriousbabe: 7:53pm On Jan 20, 2015
iykofias:
getout of here, go peel egusi for ur mama
ahahahahah chai you wicked o
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 20, 2015
GMB in any civilised society ought to be tried for treason. But no! Since we have lived in a lawless society, any dracula, even Abachas hologram can come out to contest for presidency and the current Indomie generation (dominating Nigerias social media) that never tasted army koboko like we did and witnessed during the military era will drum support for him online.
Anyways by this time in come March the e-rats here online will go back to posting selfies on Facebook and Instagram.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by InvertedHammer: 7:56pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:
From his recent Channels TV Interview:

Are you sorry for bringing to an end the Shagari government?

GMB: No, I'm not sorry, because I mentioned why we did it, and we proved our case.

That's a democratic process that could have extended.

GMB: So when you are a democracy you are entitled to steal your treasury dry, and put your people into pauperized positions, and destroy institutions, and destroy infrastructure?

So you blame Shagari for that coup?

GMB: Don't personalize. I'll blame the second republic...

For that?

GMB: For that. And when we came out we told the nation why and we conducted enquiries, documentary ones, not just hearsay.

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_487PhkxUQ (start at 5:37)

So he still believes it is ok for the military to overthrow a democratic government if the democratic government is corrupt. Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt. If the General's view is right, then a military coup in 2015 is justified...

Do you agree? undecided (I strongly disagree because dictatorship is a greater evil than corruption. You can fight corruption within democracy)

/
The sad thing is that you don't seem to know what is democracy and how it is supposed to work.
You are too engrossed to fully understand the English jargon and its application.

Democracy is government of the people, by the people and for the people. But motherfvckers turned it into government of the people, by the people and for the elites . Thus general security for the people is limited to protection of the elites by the State.

Democracy has other ingredients. It does not end with who has the most votes. There are checks and balances. But in Nigeria, it is the winner takes all and he/she could care less if any promises are met. So if BH is bombing the whole North and GEJ is not responding appropriately, we are supposed to wait till 4 years of the carnage to oust him because oyibo told us so? Impeachment? Take a closer look at the rubberstamp National Assembly. Heck, the USA we copy uses electoral college which tells us that one should think outside the box sometimes. But God forbid a nigga uses his/her brain! We have ways of fvcking things up. Religion? Borrowed and learned, we screwed it up. Now democracy, borrowed and learned, we are screwing it up.

\

2 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by 49cents(m): 7:57pm On Jan 20, 2015
tobex23:
Seun, Comprehend...!
Buhari didn't say it is okay now,
He gave an answer to a question he was asked about a case as far back as 1983,

Corruption was the order the day then, and fact is, it is now the order of the day under the current administration, buhari did what he could to reduce the rate at which corrupt practices was high then, now we want him again, why? Because this same administration is CORRUPT! Very corrupt in all sectors.

With what you said here; "Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt"
It can also be said that you don't believe this government is corrupt yeah?

Stop reasoning upside down, just to satisfy your pay.

Only difference between now and then is, he is going to be our PRESIDENT by our votes, not through a coup all in a bid to save the future of our country.

does buhARI NOT KNOW THAT THE LIKES OF TINUBU AND AMAECHI AND THE EX PDP GOVERNORS,NOW IN APC, WHO ARE BANK ROLLING HIS CAMPAIGN ARENT CORRUPT? PLEASE OPEN YOUR MIND AND LETS STOP LOOKING THE OTHER WAY............DEMOCRACY REMAINS THE BEST FOR SOCIETAL PROGRESS WHERE FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHTS ARE HELD IN HIGH ESTEEM

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by notoriousbabe: 7:57pm On Jan 20, 2015
DeCritique:

If I was Seun, I believe I'd have banned you a long time ago. You've no right to insult the owner of this site. Freedom of Information bill wasn't equally passed here...!!
it was just an advice not an insult,stop making mountain out of a mole hill
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by slimfit1(m): 7:58pm On Jan 20, 2015
Davo93:

This is one of those areas I have issues with Mr Buhari. Much more than he not been apologetic about what he did back then, I want to be sure if this man believes in Democracy. The same military man that truncated a democratic setting of a nation because he felt it was corrupt now wants to democratically rule the same nation. Mehn, Nigerians are not fools!

Like you suggested, Mr Buhari could have mobilized some of his children(today's military heads) to take after him and solve the corruption problem we have in this nation. Probably GMB now understands that decadence in a democratic system can be solved in a democratic way?!

I will continue to say that the sole reason why many of us may consider voting Buhari in the next poll is just because GEJ is unapologetically condoning corruption. Thus, most of our resources are lost to that course. We believe corruption level will reduce for the mean time when GMB comes on board.

Notwithstanding, I will continue to tell Buharists that GMB is not a Saint like many of his warriors portray him.

No one is claiming that he is a saint.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by makazona(m): 7:59pm On Jan 20, 2015
fkaz:
Buhari step him because they want to milk nigeria dry during shagari regime due to corruption and he is stepping in 2015 again to stop jonathan from milking nigeria dry. Thank God we have somebody like Buhari who will come to the resque, Nigeria major problem is corruption and that is one reason he sight for taking over the govt.

I will say a big YES

so when he contested in 2003,it was bcz corruption was much and he was coming to purge d system?

whats ur definition of corruption?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by babadee1(m): 8:00pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:

General Buhari has not denied his share of responsibility for the coup. He was aware of the coup before it happened and he supported it.

In that case then Obasanjo was also guilty because he was aware of and gave tacit support to Murtala's coup. He transitioned into a civilian president in 1999 and I've never seen you or anybody else raise the issue.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by PassingShot(m): 8:00pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:

How would it have collapsed Nigeria, exactly? What did they do wrong that has not been done by subsequent military and civilian governments?

Maybe yes, maybe no. But that regime was so corrupt and recklessly displayed it. Nigeria was not this buoyant and was taking external loans to finance almost all the projects of government. Unfortunately it was the same money plus whatever we had they were looting.

In retrospect, how many countries of the world do you think could have remained still hopeful as we are despite all the moneies we have squandered in this country? The fact is that not many.

Take a look at Greece. They had to be bailed out with about 150billion dollars just for mis-managing the economy. The debt they're plunged into may not be overcome in decades to come. Whereas we have blown way more than that due to looting. So, we could have experienced similar thing then if not worse. That's what I mean.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by sCross: 8:02pm On Jan 20, 2015
GreatSoul:
What do you expect to hear from a military mind
that understands brute force better than 'cerebral' intelligence?

I still can't get over the fact that his preferred choice of action was
to cage Umaru Dikko rather than apply for extradition.

Beware of a man whose thinking is in reverse.

You have no idea of the crazy covert missions the "almighty" US engages in on a daily basis. Those guys throw the rule book out the window to get what they want.

My question is this; would you consider the US to be led by a daft leader ?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by notoriousbabe: 8:03pm On Jan 20, 2015
iykofias:
ban me? na today we start to dey chop ban like gala
that's my man. I just dey gbadun you,help me deal with dem well well
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by 49cents(m): 8:07pm On Jan 20, 2015
babadee1:

They have elections in North Korea, Cuba, China, Vietnam and Eritrea. One party always wins so those countries are not democracies. If people vote and the ruling party rigs the election in their favour that is not democracy.

WHO TOLD YOU THAT THEY HOLD ELECTIONS IN NORTH KOREA AND CUBA.....PLEASE GOOGLE IS YOUR FREIND

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by motherlode: 8:07pm On Jan 20, 2015
rozayx5:
he should have been treated how the 40 soldiers were treated undecided
please were you upright when you posted this?

Inciting mutiny and sentencing over 50 soldiers to death in a democratic govt and plotting a bloody coup against the then head of state in a military govt leaving 40 soldiers to the service of the firing squad. Please tell me the difference and also pick the offence which warrant more punishment?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by datribune: 8:07pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:
From his recent Channels TV Interview:

Are you sorry for bringing to an end the Shagari government?

GMB: No, I'm not sorry, because I mentioned why we did it, and we proved our case.

That's a democratic process that could have extended.

If Shagari regime is what democracy is about may nigeria never hav democracy. On Anyday, at anytime anyone dat is familiar wit nigerian history will take Buhari's dictatorship over d civilian misrule of d criminal national party of nigeria (NPN) d ancestor of d present dysfunctional PDP. Under Shagari, d thieving politicians wrecked d economy & plunged d nation into d greatest recession in our history & accumulated an unprecedented debt burden on d nation which Buhari started paying & which decades later OBJ completed. Buhari has done it b4, he will do it again.
SAI BUHARI

GMB: So when you are a democracy you are entitled to steal your treasury dry, and put your people into pauperized positions, and destroy institutions, and destroy infrastructure?

So you blame Shagari for that coup?

GMB: Don't personalize. I'll blame the second republic...

For that?

GMB: For that. And when we came out we told the nation why and we conducted enquiries, documentary ones, not just hearsay.

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_487PhkxUQ (start at 5:37)

So he still believes it is ok for the military to overthrow a democratic government if the democratic government is corrupt. Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt. If the General's view is right, then a military coup in 2015 is justified...

Do you agree? undecided (I strongly disagree because dictatorship is a greater evil than corruption. You can fight corruption within democracy)
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by hazyfm1: 8:09pm On Jan 20, 2015
spankyflex:
I wonder how an educated person should come up with this lame excuse

oga did u attend history classes, or you played suwe' all through your primary & secondary school days
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Thetruthsayer: 8:11pm On Jan 20, 2015
hahahahahahh. i wan die oh. abeg no b buhari plan d coup, he was just given d sit because d person dat plans d coup died during d coup grin
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by 49cents(m): 8:13pm On Jan 20, 2015
Kolade354:
No comment..................I have decided to follow buhari,to follow osibanjo,to follow APC,to be loyal,honest and patriotic...................I told seun earlier get ready for broom revolution.

YOU WERE GIVING A MIND BY YOUR MAKER USE IT

YOUR STATEMENT IS LIKE THE UNEDUCATED YOUTH IN THE NORTH WHO JUST CHANT SAI BUHARI BECUSE THEY WERE NOT EDUCATED TO THINK WITH AN OPEN MIND

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jan 20, 2015
Who is afraid of Buhari
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by spankyflex(m): 8:13pm On Jan 20, 2015
hazyfm1:

oga did u attend history classes, or you played suwe' all through your primary & secondary school days
what rubbish,so your history class told u Nigeria wasnt ripe for democracy after over twenty years of independence?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by babadee1(m): 8:13pm On Jan 20, 2015
49cents:

WHO TOLD YOU THAT THEY HOLD ELECTIONS IN NORTH KOREA AND CUBA.....PLEASE GOOGLE IS YOUR FREIND

But Google is obviously not your friend though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_North_Korea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Cuba
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by berrystunn(m): 8:13pm On Jan 20, 2015
tobex23:
Seun, Comprehend...!

Corruption was the order the day then, and fact is, it is now the order of the day under the current administration, buhari did what he could to reduce the rate at which corrupt practices was high then, now we want him again, why? Because this same administration is CORRUPT! Very corrupt in all sectors.

With what you said here; "Incidentally, many people believe that the current government is also corrupt"

Only difference between now and then is, he is going to be our PRESIDENT by our votes, not through a coup all in a bid to save the future of our country.

then a military coup in 2015 is justified...
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by AJOT99(m): 8:14pm On Jan 20, 2015
This is serious!

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by bfire(m): 8:14pm On Jan 20, 2015
peckhamboi:
Seun, why are you bringing this irrelevant issue up at this time.

The coup happened over 30 years ago and I remember vividly there were wild jubiliation all over the country after the coup.

I personally was happy that there was a coup at that point in time because the level of looting was the same as Jonathan's administration.

Suen was not born then

So, he knows nothing but distorted stories.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by datribune: 8:16pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:

He has not accepted that he made a mistake. If you don't admit your mistakes and correct them, you will keep making them.

A cynical person would say that the reason he is doing all this is because he no longer has the military capability to take power by force.

Look, I have decided that it may not be bad to have change, but we need to understand the new man before giving him dominion over us.

If Shagari regime is what democracy is about may nigeria never hav democracy. On Anyday, at anytime anyone dat is familiar wit nigerian history will take Buhari's dictatorship over d civilian misrule of d criminal national party of nigeria (NPN) d ancestor of d present dysfunctional PDP. Under Shagari, d thieving politicians wrecked d economy & plunged d nation into d greatest recession in our history & accumulated an unprecedented debt burden on d nation which Buhari started paying & which decades later OBJ completed. Buhari has done it b4, he will do it again.
SAI BUHARI

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Caseless: 8:22pm On Jan 20, 2015
tobex23:
Seun, Comprehend...!

seun didn't understand. *embarassed*. Sms!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Tinubu Convinced Me To Join Buhari’s Presidential Election Campaign, Says Aisha / Ike Ekweremadu Visits Orji Uzor Kalu / Fahim Saleh: Tyrese Haspil Arrested And Charged With Murder Of Gokada CEO

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.