Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,740 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? (35962 Views)

Buhari’s Military Action In Gambia Without Approval – Senator Chukwuka Utazi / Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 / UK Warns Buhari Against Military Action In Niger Delta - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by naijaking1: 8:23pm On Jan 20, 2015
Despite a smart US consultancy service running the APC campaign, it's now obvious that B.u.h.a.r.i is an impossible sell to Nigerians. Imagine what could have happened to GEJ re-election bid if they had been smart enough to chose someone like Tambuwal, Amechi, or even Kwankwso who didn't have Buhari's baggage on their shoulders?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Caseless: 8:24pm On Jan 20, 2015
datribune:

If Shagari regime is what democracy is about may nigeria never hav democracy. On Anyday, at anytime anyone dat is familiar wit nigerian history will take Buhari's dictatorship over d civilian misrule of d criminal national party of nigeria (NPN) d ancestor of d present dysfunctional PDP. Under Shagari, d thieving politicians wrecked d economy & plunged d nation into d greatest recession in our history & accumulated an unprecedented debt burden on d nation which Buhari started paying & which decades later OBJ completed. Buhari has done it b4, he will do it again.
SAI BUHARI

teach seun, pls.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by DeCritique(m): 8:24pm On Jan 20, 2015
iykofias:
getout of here, go peel egusi for ur mama

Lol... Your assumptions are quite ridiculous... Not everyone is a kid like you, you should always remember that. Good luck with peeling eguisi for your Mama cool
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by dvee2: 8:25pm On Jan 20, 2015
Dreal1247:
But he that comes to equity, they say must come with clean hands. Are Buhari's hands clean?
just

Prove that his hands are not clean, solid proof, not phantom suitcase story or his daughter schooled abroad.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by emeka2847: 8:25pm On Jan 20, 2015
Sorry is this the same Seun who is a mod? I just need to know. Thanks.
peckhamboi:
Seun, why are you bringing this irrelevant issue up at this time.

The coup happened over 30 years ago and I remember vividly there were wild jubiliation all over the country after the coup.

I personally was happy that there was a coup at that point in time because the level of looting was the same as Jonathan's administration.

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by addey44: 8:25pm On Jan 20, 2015
customized07:
This man can't help but show his furious attribute, he will unleash his true colour if he wins.
What colour? He'll be ruling in a democracy and not under military dictatorship!
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by kay1one(m): 8:26pm On Jan 20, 2015
Gmb cannot change or find his certificate!

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by DeCritique(m): 8:26pm On Jan 20, 2015
notoriousbabe:
it was just an advice not an insult,stop making mountain out of a mole hill

An advice that included calling Seun, the prestigious owner of this site a hen? Haba bros, fear God na! Imagine calling your lecturer a hen! And you think say you go graduate??

2 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by duni04(m): 8:29pm On Jan 20, 2015
Buhari took democracy in Nigeria back 20years after the Coup of 83'. Corruption or not, the beauty of democracy is in the right of the majority, not the armed, to select and remove their leaders. Buhari stole that right from millions of Nigerians when he thwarted our democracy. He should have waited for Nigerians to remove Shagari through the ballot box. Who knows, if Buhari hadn't seized power and suspended our democracy, we'd have had the chance to select better leaders at the polls and our democratic institutions would have had a solid foundation right from the 80's. And instead of apologising, he's still adamant that he did nothing wrong.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by datribune: 8:29pm On Jan 20, 2015
ichidodo:
His coup set Nigeria back from Second World Nation with a stable economy, infrastructure and welfare package for the people to a Third World Nation with poverty,cancelled or dismantled infrastructure delivery systems, wild spread economic shortages and hunger....Now he wants to come back and finish off the rest IBB didn't give him time to destroy or the little GEJ has managed to resucitate and revive??.....Since he isn't sorry for his disservice to the people then we don't need his service at his old age never mind sending Nigeria back to the fourth world or stone age...

WE KNOW OUR HISTORY. Buhari took over nigeria in d worst economic recession in our history. d thieving politicians of d NPN d ancestor of d current PDP looted d nation to bankruptcy to d extent dat no one would borrow d heavily indebted Nigeria any more money. There was no food, no money. Soap, milk, sugar etc popularly called essential commodities disappeared from d shelves just like in Zimbabwe. d federal govt could not pay staff salaries. Few states were able to apply d IMO FORMULA - (half salary) pioneered by Kalu Idika Kalu d then Imo state comm 4 finance. Multinationals like kingsway, UTC, PZ etc left d country. Daily more people became unemployed. In short d economy collapsed.
When GMB took over he paid a huge part of d external debt incurred by d thieving politicians, d rest of which OBJ paid recently . He rejected d IMF loan & its slavish conditionalities. He refused to devalue d naira & thru economic ingenuity he kept d inflationary rate between 3-5% & d exchange rate at $1 to 1 naira. He reversed d rot of d Shagari years & made d economy & d country buoyant again. He did it b4, he will do it again.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by safarigal: 8:30pm On Jan 20, 2015
Oga Seun, you of all people talking about democracy? You should be Buhari's biggest supporter. Nairaland is dictatorial in nature

No Freedom Of Speech (our words are being censored)

There is even a cabal responsible for FP-worthy topics....

And people are banned brazenly without the option of trial or self defense grin

I don't think the ideals of this site are much different from that of a military rule.....

Don't be offended please, I'm only exercising my freedom of speech

"We Are All Equal, but some animals (people) are more equal than others"- George Orwell, Animal Farm

2 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by elohorayodele: 8:30pm On Jan 20, 2015
Goodluck has fallen short in many ways but IMO making buhari is a step backwards-
An unrepentant ex dictator who sacked a democratic govt
A barely literate man(his major education is warfare)
A man who threatens violence all the time.

After all the hope we had in a formidable opposition unseating this govt, their best candidate turns out to be buhari.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by notoriousbabe: 8:30pm On Jan 20, 2015
DeCritique:

An advice that included calling Seun, the prestigious owner of this site a hen? Haba bros, fear God na! Imagine calling your lecturer a hen! And you think say you go graduate??
abeg leave the guy jo
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by dvee2: 8:30pm On Jan 20, 2015
Davo93:

This is one of those areas I have issues with Mr Buhari. Much more than he not been apologetic about what he did back then, I want to be sure if this man believes in Democracy. The same military man that truncated a democratic setting of a nation because he felt it was corrupt now wants to democratically rule the same nation. Mehn, Nigerians are not fools!

Like you suggested, Mr Buhari could have mobilized some of his children(today's military heads) to take after him and solve the corruption problem we have in this nation. Probably GMB now understands that decadence in a democratic system can be solved in a democratic way?!

I will continue to say that the sole reason why many of us may consider voting Buhari in the next poll is just because GEJ is unapologetically condoning corruption. Thus, most of our resources are lost to that course. We believe corruption level will reduce for the mean time when GMB comes on board.

Notwithstanding, I will continue to tell Buharists that GMB is not a Saint like many of his warriors portray him.

Why didn't you have problem when Obasanjo became president? Did Obasanjo not participate in coup? The murtala / Obasanjo regime also came in by coup, why didn't you have problem with that?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by Seun(m): 8:32pm On Jan 20, 2015
babadee1:
In that case then Obasanjo was also guilty because he was aware of and gave tacit support to Murtala's coup. He transitioned into a civilian president in 1999 and I've never seen you or anybody else raise the issue.
Did Murtala's coup terminate a democratic government? (Answer: no)

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by DeCritique(m): 8:32pm On Jan 20, 2015
notoriousbabe:
abeg leave the guy jo

Babe you don reason am na? It's highly lugubrious... A case of pisma disma.... *voice trails off*!!
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by berrystunn(m): 8:33pm On Jan 20, 2015
Has Buhari apologized for raiding Papa Awolowo’s house and seizing his passport so he couldn’t travel out of the country ??
Has Buhari apologized for throwing VP Alex Ekwueme in jail even though it was proven that Ekwueme DID NOT steal ??
What reason did Buhari have for jailing Ojukwu in 1984? Ojukwu was not in Shagari’s govt and he did not steal! ??
What reason did Buhari have for jailing honest Pa Michael Adekunle Ajasin, who did not steal as Ondo State Gov ??
Why did Buhari jail Fela Kuti in 1984? What was Fela’s crime? Singing against military govt ??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by okokhaerat(m): 8:33pm On Jan 20, 2015
This is awesome! And they said the people's general can't defend himself?
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by notoriousbabe: 8:34pm On Jan 20, 2015
DeCritique:

Babe you don reason am na? It's highly lugubrious... A case of pisma disma.... *voice trails off*!!
seun own too much for here,I like as the guy give am upper cut grin
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by safarigal: 8:34pm On Jan 20, 2015
duni04:
Buhari took democracy in Nigeria back 20years after the Coup of 83'. Corruption or not, the beauty of democracy is in the right of the majority, not the armed, to select and remove their leaders. Buhari stole that right from millions of Nigerians when he thwarted our democracy. He should have waited for Nigerians to remove Shagari through the ballot box. Who knows, if Buhari hadn't seized power and suspended our democracy, we'd have had the chance to select better leaders at the polls and our democratic institutions would have had a solid foundation right from the 80's. And instead of apologising, he's still adamant that he did nothing wrong.
*singing* story for the gods, the gods o.

First off, how many times will they tell you Government students that Buhari was not the man who led the coup? Why do you all keep blaming Buhari for this coup?

The army plotted the militay coup and Buhari who was in Jos when it occurred, was called upon to fill a role he wasn't meant to occupy.....a lot like the story of Jonah today.

The person slated to take the role (the main person who led the coup), Boro, was killed in action....so stop blaming Buhari for your woes
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by sunkoye: 8:35pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:

Apologies, I'm trying to embrace the idea of GMB as president, but I just felt really bothered by the statements above,

The interview happened very recently.

Every president has enemies - for example, the millions who voted against him. If the president is overthrown, those people will jubilate.
I wonder which father will apologise to his now rich grown son dat he was sorry for disciplining him wen he was younger. Tah.

Besides, history is repeating itself. Buhari sacked 2nd Republic for corruption as a military man...now he is doing it again as a civilian.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by hazyfm1: 8:35pm On Jan 20, 2015
YOU MAKE ME LAUGH,
GO AND READ ABOUT YOUR LEADERS THAT MADE UP THE 2ND REPUBLIC
DON'T FORGET WE JUST CAME OUT OF A VERY DESTRUCTIVE CIVIL WAR
NOW I CAN BOLDLY TELL YOU WE ARE RIPE FOR DEMOCRACY

AFTER ALL GEJ WAS RIGHT, THAT THE OLDER GENERATION FAILED US
spankyflex:
what rubbish,so your history class told u Nigeria wasnt ripe for democracy after over twenty years of independence?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by 49cents(m): 8:36pm On Jan 20, 2015
babadee1:

But Google is obviously not your friend though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_North_Korea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Cuba

MAYBE U SHOULD READ BETWEEN THE LINES OF MY STATEMENTS.....U TAG THAT CUBAN AND NORTH KOREAN ELECTIONS DEMOCRACY.....EVEN YOU LINKSM THANKS TO MY NUDGE, CONFIRMS MY POSITION

Criticism[edit]
The elections have been variously described as show elections, a type of veto election,[citation needed] or a political census.[8] Seats are uncontested (or alternatively, uncompetitive) as all candidates are chosen and won by the Democratic Front for the Reunification of the Fatherland.[3][5][7]

A voter may cross off the candidate's name to vote against him, but must do so in a special booth without any secrecy; according to many North Korean defectors, such an act of defiance is too risky to even attempt.[6]
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by emiye(m): 8:37pm On Jan 20, 2015
That was an era of coup plotting to correct failing democracy, a few years before Buhari took over in Nigeria, Jerry Rawlings plotted a coup in Ghana, killing a lot of corrupt Ghanian leaders. There was no guarantee Nigerians democracy would have been better than it is currently, infact there are several african countries that have sustained democracy for so long, and are near failed state.
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by DeCritique(m): 8:38pm On Jan 20, 2015
notoriousbabe:
seun own too much for here,I like as the guy give am upper cut grin

Lolz... And I come think say you dey support me. You be pro-GMB? undecided
Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ichidodo: 8:39pm On Jan 20, 2015
datribune:
[s]

WE KNOW OUR HISTORY. Buhari took over nigeria in d worst economic recession in our history. d thieving politicians of d NPN d ancestor of d current PDP looted d nation to bankruptcy to d extent dat no one would borrow d heavily indebted Nigeria any more money. There was no food, no money. Soap, milk, sugar etc popularly called essential commodities disappeared from d shelves just like in Zimbabwe. d federal govt could not pay staff salaries. Few states were able to apply d IMO FORMULA - (half salary) pioneered by Kalu Idika Kalu d then Imo state comm 4 finance. Multinationals like kingsway, UTC, PZ etc left d country. Daily more people became unemployed. In short d economy collapsed.
When GMB took over he paid a huge part of d external debt incurred by d thieving politicians, d rest of which OBJ paid recently . He rejected d IMF loan & its slavish conditionalities. He refused to devalue d naira & thru economic ingenuity he kept d inflationary rate between 3-5% & d exchange rate at $1 to 1 naira. He reversed d rot of d Shagari years & made d economy & d country buoyant again. He did it b4, he will do it again.[/s]
Trash...This propaganda will not work because Buhari's tenure saw the first devaluation of the naira....the first time Nigeria started IMPORTING FUEL...Let us leave the austerity measures, cancelled railway contracts for lagosians, rural electirification and pipe borne water systems in the south for another day...
for a second we thought you was gonna mention refineries he built in his dreams...

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by babadee1(m): 8:40pm On Jan 20, 2015
Seun:

Did Murtala's coup terminate a democratic government? (Answer: no)

I knew you would say that. If you have a philosophical objection to coups in general then you have to remain consistent, otherwise you cease to be objective. I could make the argument that Shagari's government had about as much legitimacy as Gowon's. The 1983 election was arguably the most flawed in Nigeria's history. Simply being sworn in after a supposed set of elections is not enough to confer the status of being democratic to any government.
Shagari's government was not democratic, it was civilian. We have not yet had a truly democratic government in Nigeria but hopefully soon we will.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by ndcide(m): 8:40pm On Jan 20, 2015
Buhari and his followers don't know what they are saying. trying to justify their evil action with the so called anti corruption posture.

I challenge anyone to analyse the various state governments at that time. at least the southern Nigeria. their legacies still remains till today. what would Midwest be like if Ambrose Alli remained, the roads and institutions he built remains till today. Same for Sam Mbakwe, Olabanjo etc.

only simpletons will fall for this pseudo anti corruption noise we hear.

Nigeria's be wise. there is a clandestine operation to destroy this country.

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by nationwide24: 8:40pm On Jan 20, 2015
peckhamboi:
Seun, why are you bringing this irrelevant issue up at this time.

The coup happened over 30 years ago and I remember vividly there were wild jubiliation all over the country after the coup.

I personally was happy that there was a coup at that point in time because the level of looting was the same as Jonathan's administration.

It's disheartening that people still support coup in

1 Like

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by datribune: 8:41pm On Jan 20, 2015
duni04:

Buhari's coup though unconstitutional was patriotic & even more necessary than d doctrine of necessity dat ended imminent crises & brought GEJ to power. dat coup dat ridded Nigeria of d NPN, d ancestor of d PDP, which consisted of d worst set of criminals to be found anywhere in d world is probably one of d greatest acts of patriotism by any nigerian, living or dead. d NPN crooks did not get to power thru free & fair elections, an election dat late Tai Solarin reffered to as a STOLEN PRESIDENCY & they would not leave via elections. dat coup by Buhari is to date one of d greatest acts of patriotism by any nigerian, living or dead.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? by BonaVIta(m): 8:41pm On Jan 20, 2015
PassingShot:

Mismanagement of fund cannot equate to stealing, looting and corruption.

Ok, so he didn't steal, loot and was no corruption and injustice?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Deji Adeyanju Denies Saying Peter Obi Offered Him Money / President Buhari Takes Tinubu On A Tour Of The State House / British Soldiers Visit Nigeria Defence Headquarter (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.