Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,736 members, 7,955,804 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:32 PM

Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives (41717 Views)

Man Curses Out Families Who Squander Money Sent Home By Relatives Living Abroad / Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank / My Horrible Experience When My Relatives Came To Stay With Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by tzoracle: 9:57pm On Jan 22, 2015
MissMeiya:
I just spotted "those people" in this thread. Yes, we see you. The ones saying we're whining. Then stop begging.

Disgusting. Why shouldn't I complain? I've never met or even heard the voice of 89% of these people a day in my life before I started working, and NOW you remember me? I post a picture on instagram for my FRIENDS, not you, and you say I'm bragging? Abeg carry your eye go jor! Who asked to you follow me?? I had to delete my Facebook so my family couldn't find me. TWICE.

I didn't give birth to you. You never did anything for me or my parents. I don't owe you shít. Entitlement mentality.

They would never get tired till u do something illegal and get deported,then u come back and they ridicule u

1 Like

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Hila12(m): 9:58pm On Jan 22, 2015
Just like Nigeria, money does not grow on the streets of Yankee or Europe. Apart from the few who are well to do over there, many struggle and do all sorts just to survive. Should they come back? Hell No! The comfort and security is a very good incentive to remain there, plus if Nigeria was that good in the first place they wouldn't have travelled. We love our country Nigeria but biko things rough anyhow for naija. Contrary to what people think in Nigeria - the nice pictures, fine roads, beautiful gardens in foreign photos are product of a functioning government/system, most are basic facilities(free) put in place by government and are open to all for use (including beggar). They respect and care for their citizens compared to naija. What folks in Nigeria confuse for riches are the basic amenities and privileges their relatives abroad enjoy which obviously is the standard way of life over there (most times they don't pay for it). So don't always think they are rich, it's a shame in Nigeria only the financially stable can go to the cinema, or go shopping, or eat chicken and chips (that is the least food abroad, no less option). Poverty has ruined Nigeria and has eaten deep into everyone's mind, we now see things from a ridiculous sense of view. On the streets of Yankee you will see rotten meat and cigarette filters not Money!

5 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by otiigba1(m): 10:00pm On Jan 22, 2015
MissMeiya:
One technique my family uses is to complain about how much we pay for things over here. My mother does this very well. My father is too proud, and he suffers for it undecided

• "We pay for light, water, Internet, heat, cellphone, landline, television, mortgage, (back then, tuition fees), life insurance, car insurance, health insurance, homeowners insurance-- all na separate bill oh!" Then list how much each bill is. Then convert it to naira. Usually this is more than enough to get people to back up.

• "Yes, we make this much in salary, but the government takes almost all in taxes!" This one is very very effective. Don't be too specific. Don't mention tax returns.

As for gifts, I usually don't have a problem with that. Unless someone has the balls to ask for iPads and free smartphones or laptops. When that happens I text them my Nigerian bank account number and the converted price of the item. You won't hear anything about it again. Nonsense.
grin grin grin grin you bad o! if only i can do the same like you
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by NovusHomo(m): 10:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
poxibility:
When next you face with request from families and friends, all you need to do is to be frank with them, let them know if you can afford it or not. Don't promise what you cannot fulfil and don't give what you cannot conveniently afford.

I don't give, period! And I don't care.

2 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by oge4real(f): 10:32pm On Jan 22, 2015
drnoel:

That's the spirit. That's what nigerians abroad would never understand. I met a nigerian living abroad in lagos during xmas. Men u need to see the escalade jeep he was driving in Nigeria. We got talking and he gave me so much scopes and hyps. All thru this guy didn't know I too didn't live in Nigeria. Funny enof, I met him again in a friends house after I returned and found out he was just a janitor. So I asked him how he came about all those effects in naija. He told me he had to save for 8 years but still couldn't save enof so he took a bank loan. I was completely shocked. All cos he wanted to impress his relatives.

Just imagine that.
Tomorrow when that fellow grows old and dies abroad, some association will ask us to contribute money to send the corpse of our 'beloved brother' home for burial.
Then the same people he was going bankrupt to impress in Nigeria will say "what has he been doing abroad all these years"?

2 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by oge4real(f): 10:36pm On Jan 22, 2015
chookudi:

just saw that you stay in sydney. What part of sydney do you stay? would have preferred sending you a pm but i do not know your policy regarding that.

You do not need permission to send a pm. Your answer lies on whether you get a reply or not. grin
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 22, 2015
Hila12:
Just like Nigeria, money does not grow on the streets of Yankee or Europe. Apart from the few who are well to do over there, many struggle and do all sorts just to survive. Should they come back? Hell No! The comfort and security is a very good incentive to remain there, plus if Nigeria was that good in the first place they wouldn't have travelled. We love our country Nigeria but biko things rough anyhow for naija. Contrary to what people think in Nigeria - the nice pictures, fine roads, beautiful gardens in foreign photos are product of a functioning government/system, most are basic facilities(free) put in place by government and are open to all for use (including beggar). They respect and care for their citizens compared to naija. What folks in Nigeria confuse for riches are the basic amenities and privileges their relatives abroad enjoy which obviously is the standard way of life over there (most times they don't pay for it). So don't always think they are rich, it's a shame in Nigeria only the financially stable can go to the cinema, or go shopping, or eat chicken and chips (that is the least food abroad, no less option). Poverty has ruined Nigeria and has eaten deep into everyone's mind, we now see things from a ridiculous sense of view. On the streets of Yankee you will see rotten meat and cigarette filters not Money!

They do, in form of taxes.

2 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Hila12(m): 10:43pm On Jan 22, 2015
[quote author=carefreewannabe post=30042362]
Yes they are taxed like every country on earth, but they don't pay to enjoy such facilities after it's provision. In Nigeria you pay on both cases - taxed to provide amenities and charged to enjoy it!

2 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by drnoel: 11:04pm On Jan 22, 2015
tzoracle:

Even if we are burger joint workers and janitors we aspire to attain greater heights. We can't do that without capital,and this keeps happening if we don't have savings,I personally know of a yoruba guy in texas who worked for eight years at kfc,he saved every single penny he earned and now owns his own food chain. Family should understand that we have to make a living too

Not all of them are janitors and burger joint workers. Then again u rarely see the professionals open their mouths. I am out of here if insults start pouring out.
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by nosique: 11:38pm On Jan 22, 2015
[quote author=KanwuliaJara post=30015241]Too much BEGGING from the BOTTOMLESS PITS! angry
Like you are packing money abroad.

I dash one couple with 5 children under 12 years N650,000 2 years ago, last year dem ask for N1.2Million. shocked
I just delete dem #s sharp-sharp.
Na me say make dem open nyansh and blokos dey born-born like termites?
Mtcheeeeeeew! Abeg you get bad mouth oooo!hahaha
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Richy4(m): 11:44pm On Jan 22, 2015
A lot of my soul mates are here.lashing out the burden they bear in the name of living abroad. we all pass through the same thing. all i can say is do the best you can and ignore the ones you can't. besides no one can please the world

2 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by tonychristopher: 11:46pm On Jan 22, 2015
tzoracle:

Even if we are burger joint workers and janitors we aspire to attain greater heights. We can't do that without capital,and this keeps happening if we don't have savings,I personally know of a yoruba guy in texas who worked for eight years at kfc,he saved every single penny he earned and now owns his own food chain. Family should understand that we have to make a living too

I keep saying it that Nigerians are suffering in overseas ..was at Europe last October the sales attendant in supermarket was a Nigerian and I just looked at the dude and wondered how he can make a meaningful living not to talk of flying home

It is terribly hard there ..now is winter most lack earners
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by tonychristopher: 11:51pm On Jan 22, 2015
NovusHomo:

I don't give, period! And I don't care.

Your broke period and your a security man apt
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by tonychristopher: 11:55pm On Jan 22, 2015
wierdpsycho:
you dumbo blacks know nothing but pop out little rug rats like sick hedge hogs...... and here u all are complaining about leeches.... you guys are the biggest leeches... Uncle sam is constantly taxing hardworking dudes just to save your pesky butts... stop complaining..asian blokes work twice as hard and still send moola in large quants

So apt....your correct
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by tonychristopher: 12:03am On Jan 23, 2015
hardbody:

LOL. Where I come from, every end of year, we compare notes with the guys abroad and so far we are doing better than most if not all of them, so none of these issues arise. Apart from the older generation that hit it big (my uncle who is in Houston and was already large before he traveled and continued doing well, employing oyinbos in his companies both in Nigeria and abroad) and a few others in his category, all my school and classmates are still struggling to make an impact. It was severally a point of discussion as we were hanging out this xmas. We point at their parents dilapidated houses begging for retouch and renovations, you cant see the one they have built for themselves, they bring in one Tokunbo car that they sell when they are done in the Villa, they are stingy with buying booze (we the locals declare for all as many times as they want). All we see around them are large sporting wears with big canvass and a lot of wanna wanna gonna gonna.

Like i said, where i come from...

You must be igbo..that is the truth
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by hardbody: 12:06am On Jan 23, 2015
eneres:

l like where you come from already

Thanks man. Lets go there someday. The only challenge is that my place is addictive. All my friends that visited with me now go on their own without even letting me know. I am however happy that they are happy.
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by hardbody: 12:10am On Jan 23, 2015
tonychristopher:

You must be igbo..that is the truth

I am igbo bro. Arochukwu kingdom in particular. Where babes are 2 a dime, guys flex like today is doomsday. The elderly party hard and everywhere is fun round the clock, round the month, round the year. I am even going back next weekend to take my car which i dropped during xmas. To think i flew back on the 11th to resume work on the 12th.
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by tonychristopher: 12:16am On Jan 23, 2015
hardbody:

I am igbo bro. Arochukwu kingdom in particular. Where babes are 2 a dime, guys flex like today is doomsday. The elderly party hard and everywhere is fun round the clock, round the month, round the year. I am even going back next weekend to take my car which i dropped during xmas. To think i flew back on the 11th to resume work on the 12th.

One funny thing is that these Nigerian oversea are thinking that men are dulling and I am finding it hard to see any reason any sane man will spend thousands yo be a janitor or something

I am trying hard
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by hardbody: 12:22am On Jan 23, 2015
tonychristopher:

One funny thing is that these Nigerian oversea are thinking that men are dulling and I am finding it hard to see any reason any sane man will spend thousands yo be a janitor or something

I am trying hard

Bros to each, his own. I only travel to Europe on my company's bill. My personal money goes into buying properties and investments in money market. When una come back we check scores. I do admit that infrastructure and healthcare dont compare but i pick my bills and burn fuel for genset, provide my dog and security man, use my borehole etc. If it comes down to brass tacks, i can fly abroad for treatment. I like it that way.
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 12:42am On Jan 23, 2015
I wonder the kind of family some pple come from. Reading missmeiya"s posts i wonder hw her family is,no offence but how can one man be training 20 pple?! I'v neva heard of any1 training his extended family jst cuz hes abroad. It sounds strange to me to be honest. My questions are,is it dt dey dont work in nigeria? They all sit down n wait for his checks? Dont dey too travel abroad sometimes? I just dnt get it. I can give my cousins or my siblings money bt not pay tuition or sometin or build a house for an able bodied person. You guys make it sound like they dont work at all in Nigeria. A civil servant in a federal parastatal who is maybe on grade level 14 earns way more dan alot of pple abroad. Or mayb u guys ar talkin of pple dt are extremely poor,i just dnt know. Do you know dt alot of parents send dia children abroad to skul n pay millions of naira every year,so who are those alway begging? I have not seen dem tho,maybe you guys are right,every family is different.

3 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 1:52am On Jan 23, 2015
Sigh, forget it.
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 2:01am On Jan 23, 2015
otiigba1:
grin grin grin grin you bad o! if only i can do the same like you

I've never been concerned with the opinions of people I don't know or care about. Lol just try and be more indifferent.

1 Like

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Eddy2cute(m): 3:28am On Jan 23, 2015
tzoracle:

Then everyone would start to add u on fb,whatsapp etc and start to initiate marriage talks
lol

1 Like

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by hclacid(m): 3:29am On Jan 23, 2015
Hila12:

Thank you very much sir/madam that was a wonderful explanatory write up. Thumbs up.
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Huw(m): 5:15am On Jan 23, 2015
I no go come here come dey form say na me Holy pass....I remember that year when I been dey final year, I beg my cousin for abroad for money, although him no send me shimgbayin, I still felt bad afterwards say I ask the guy for money...
To all my naija people living and hustling abroad make Una no vex abeg...e get as e be.
And to my fellow brothers and sister in Nigeria all I can say is e go better.

2 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by sundoj08(m): 5:57am On Jan 23, 2015
Another addition @op,
Most of your female naija friends suddenly want to be ur gf and prove it by sending nudes u never requested... wink

1 Like

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by pickabeau1: 6:06am On Jan 23, 2015
Its called don jassi... grin.
Setaje:
Don't want to be tribalistic but this happened to my elder sister. She was to get married to an Igbo guy in the u.s who is a psychologist in the army. this guy's was very very ok. His elder sister's children, 2 of them we're living wiv him. He was paying their school fees in the university till they finished. This guy and my sister were supposed to get married. After the guys nephew and niece finished university, the guys twin brother back in Nigeria sent 2 of his own children too for this soldier to train. Meanwhile the soldier is above 40. The soldier was also sending money in millions for his family back here in Nigeria cus he was doing other businesses too. The guy is from abia.

To cut the long story short, the guy tell in people say in won marry o, say in don try for the ones wey in don do. That he wants to start his own family. Like play like play my sister started having terrible dreams wiv people chasing her. A lot of things happened to her that I wouldn't want to divulge more than this. At the end the relationship scattered. The guy is almost 50 and he is not married yet. And less I forget, he has finished training his twin brothers children. The last my sister heard was that his elder sister and her husband are currently staying wiv him. What do u call that?

2 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by joshuaidibia(m): 8:56am On Jan 23, 2015
SavageGarden:
lol bro wats the name of this movie again? I love to see it a second time
TAKEN. bt d oda skeleton guy is ACHMED,a show done by a ventriloquist JEFF DUNHAM.
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by tociano009(m): 9:16am On Jan 23, 2015
samtol4:
to ask for invitational letter is not bad bros
but this person don't even ask how I am surviving here

1 Like

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Piro4rl(m): 11:02am On Jan 23, 2015
The worst part of it is when u send money home for a project they will squander it for no reason.

2 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 23, 2015
Goshhhhhh my inlaw undecidedmust read this!
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by redcurry(f): 11:47am On Jan 23, 2015
Anyway.having read all that has been posted above.l can only say.#l am here to read people's comment#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Great News For Pregnant And The Soon To Be Mothers(Books) / Take Your Children To Their Father Or Else - Man Tells Wife (pic/video) / Wife Makes Birthday Cake For Cheating Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.