Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,315 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives (41280 Views)

Man Curses Out Families Who Squander Money Sent Home By Relatives Living Abroad / Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank / My Horrible Experience When My Relatives Came To Stay With Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by M4gunners: 1:35pm On Jan 22, 2015
If you tell them one day you are married to oyibo or you have a Child with Oyibo,and you reduce your spending on them, the next you will hear is that ""He/She has forgotten us because of Oyibo.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by oge4real(f): 1:37pm On Jan 22, 2015
Truluvguy:
I need responsible and working class female friends in abuja on 29C329CA/08100392181.

Sorry.
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by M4gunners: 1:37pm On Jan 22, 2015
The Winch aspects of it is the worst.

1 Like

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by mattkelly: 1:37pm On Jan 22, 2015
Hmmmm..This isnt for Nigerians living abroad alone..Even here in Naija when you have small money,everybody brings their Bills and wahala to you..Your House would become a mecca of sorts..I had to leave my former apartment where i still had about 7months rent to another apartment cos i lost my privacy..Those that where never your friends before now became your friend..It's a Nigerian thing my people..When they see a little success,they start bringing their bills and everything for your to solve..It's a Pity my people..It's a Shame on our part

16 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jan 22, 2015
Black and their brain.lol, I was expecting u to say thanks 4 the correction dat person pointed out, but u just find anoda way to cover it.hmmmmm
tellwisdom:

Eh 650k in 2years..Is she not still poor??

7 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by mutter(f): 1:41pm On Jan 22, 2015
I don`t want to comment here because I will just get angry and sad.
Besides don`t want to reveal some bad experiences I have made with family.
Most people think that having many kid`s is a big financial burden but we get along okay.
What draws us down is the extended and larger family.
It is like a basket wiht a big hole. No matter how much you out it is never enough undecided
THe worse part of it is that no one seems to care, they just need more and more.

10 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 22, 2015
Lol. So right grin I don't have problem with my immediate family but na the extended be problem. lipsrsealed

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by GboyegaD(m): 1:47pm On Jan 22, 2015
I believe there are ways to go about the problem of those asking for money. When they ask, tell them you don't have it outrightly and stress you would help with what you can when you have. After a while, those demand reduces.

As for invitation letters, give to those you are sure would utilize it well. For those you know are only willing to run away, advice them to plan their vacation with itinerary. Just try give information that can help them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by BERNHARDT(m): 1:47pm On Jan 22, 2015
Five Nigerians rented and lived in one appartment in our building here in Germany,they are really hard working guys i must confess,after two years of intimate friendship with the neighbours ,just like a dream they all started ending up in jail, as a good friend i always visit them and when i ask each of them seperately why he did this or that, they all have the same story family pressure, i can't believe that at this time and age some people still allow themselves to be pushed to the wall by family or friends, now in jail are their people not living their life ? Africans stop acting as if you are God who gives life and sustains your people, every one lives with or without you

30 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 22, 2015
mattkelly:
Hmmmm..This isnt for Nigerians living abroad alone..Even here in Naija when you have small money,everybody brings their Bills and wahala to you..Your House would become a mecca of sorts..I had to leave my former apartment where i still had about 7months rent to another apartment cos i lost my privacy..Those that where never your friends before now became your friend..It's a Nigerian thing my people..When they see a little success,they start bringing their bills and everything for your to solve..It's a Pity my people..It's a Shame on our part

I think most times people should try to be a bit blunt..
I cannot do what I cannot do even if I like make I travel go oversea or abroad..
The way you welcome such calls will determine how often those people call you/invade your privacy to ask for just well about everything.
Ask me for money, if I don't have and really wants to give I will say 'I don't have but will be able to give you at the end of the month/week when I get paid'... If you make it a habit then I will say I don't have.......na only talk go end am afterall you no send me go abroad/work.

Nobody can make me move out of my house or make me avoid calls

5 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by iykedare(m): 1:52pm On Jan 22, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
Too much BEGGING from the BOTTOMLESS PITS! angry
Like you are packing money abroad.

I dash one couple with 5 children under 12 years N650,000 2 years ago, last year dem ask for N1.2Million. shocked
I just delete dem #s sharp-sharp.
Na me say make dem open nyansh and blokos dey born-born like termites?
Mtcheeeeeeew!

liar. you of all people dash someone money? Hungry woman.

3 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by austinbrown: 1:59pm On Jan 22, 2015
Hahahaha Dats what we see over here o, always asking for money and they don't even knw how I manage here in New york
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jan 22, 2015
Nutase:
grin
When you go repent.
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
Empero1:

One thing I have come to understand about needy people is that they are generally good in receiving than giving . Ingratitude and sense of entitlement is their hallmark . More so , they are also insatiable .

Learned this lesson years ago. I should get it engraved.

2 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nicemoc(f): 2:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
pickabeau1:
Another avenue to hate on the 'poor' folks left in Nigeria by those opportuned to have being on the boat

What of those who spend their life savings to put you on that boat

Ask them o. I know of a family that sold their lands just to send their son abroad. The guy got there and forgot about his family. He doesn't call them and when they call him, he doesn't pick their calls. They are not even asking for money, they are begging him to keep in touch

1 Like

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by L2CD766: 2:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
BERNHARDT:
Five Nigerians rented and lived in one appartment in our building here in Germany,they are really hard working guys i must confess,after two years of intimate friendship with the neighbours ,just like a dream they all started ending up in jail, as a good friend i always visit them and when i ask each of them seperately why he did this or that, they all have the same story family pressure, i can't believe that at this time and age some people still allow themselves to be pushed to the wall by family or friends, now in jail are their people not living their life ? Africans stop acting as if you are God who gives life and sustains your people, every one lives with or without you
oh alsjeblieft!!! have you stopped to ask yourself the psychological foundation, present and futuristic projections they have placed on family members. A whole lot of them, I mean plenty!! make a mountain of unrealistic promises before leaving, they promise to break down shackles and build ELDORADO castles within days, on arriving they begin sending subtle message that they have begun living the good life through their pictures and posts on social media. and last of all is greed, the persevering want of change of status, and the ability to show off. When next a nigerian lands in jail, it is not because of family pressure, psychology, sociological want of class change, and greed are at work

een mooie dag verder

2 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jan 22, 2015
mutter:
I don`t want to comment here because I will just get angry and sad.
Besides don`t want to reveal some bad experiences I have made with family.
Most people think that having many kid`s is a big financial burden but we get along okay.
What draws us down is the extended and larger family.
It is like a basket wiht a big hole. No matter how much you out it is never enough undecided
THe worse part of it is that no one seems to care, they just need more and more.

Start being blunt. No matter what you do, even if you give them all the blood in your body, they will grumble and curse. My mother always says if anything happened to her, God forbid, they would vanish like smoke. So forget them.

I saw it happen with my bf's family. When his father was alive, his extended family was always around with hands outstretched. Once he died, they left the wife and children to fend for themselves.

Remember who you are living for. Yourself and your children.

12 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by pickabeau1: 2:11pm On Jan 22, 2015
I wonder...

lol

Nicemoc:

Ask them o. I know of a family that sold their lands just to send their son abroad. The guy got there and forgot about his family. He doesn't call them and when they call him, he doesn't pick their calls. They are not even asking for money, they are begging him to keep in touch

1 Like

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by chrisviral(m): 2:11pm On Jan 22, 2015
tellwisdom:

Eh 650k in 2years..Is she not still poor??

English...
he gave them 650k two years ago!
Lol grin

4 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by egariyi(f): 2:14pm On Jan 22, 2015
mattkelly:

Well said. I think its more of a habit for some people to always beg. Some of these people may have made so much than you but will not save for the rainy day. At the slightest pressure, they result to begging and if you say you dont have, you are termed 'wicked' and 'stingy'. I have a friend that begged me money to add up to buy a plot whom I turned down due to a recent major expenditures at that time, she termed me 'wicked friend' and stopped calling. She said that of all her rich friends, am the only one that refused to help her even though shes been helped before. cry see me see gbege ooo

3 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by tellwisdom: 2:14pm On Jan 22, 2015
chrisviral:

English...
he gave them 650k two years ago!
Lol grin

Princemomoh:
Black and their brain.lol, I was expecting u to say thanks 4 the correction dat person pointed out, but u just find anoda way to cover it.hmmmmm

angry angry
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jan 22, 2015
mya1:

During one of my visits home, I was with my friend one day when his mum called. What she said, "didn't she bring anything for us?" I was only a student oooooooo and still had my own family to attend to not to talk of external parties.. I was so pissed .

My father's sister asked me what I brought for her once. I was 18 at the time -_-. Not what my father sent oh, what did **I** bring, for my 40 something year old aunt who had never called me or asked to speak to me in my entire life. I actually laughed aloud because I thought she was joking. Then I saw her face and realized she was serious.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by AJOT99(m): 2:17pm On Jan 22, 2015
Hmm....

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 22, 2015
One technique my family uses is to complain about how much we pay for things over here. My mother does this very well. My father is too proud, and he suffers for it undecided

• "We pay for light, water, Internet, heat, cellphone, landline, television, mortgage, (back then, tuition fees), life insurance, car insurance, health insurance, homeowners insurance-- all na separate bill oh!" Then list how much each bill is. Then convert it to naira. Usually this is more than enough to get people to back up.

• "Yes, we make this much in salary, but the government takes almost all in taxes!" This one is very very effective. Don't be too specific. Don't mention tax returns.

As for gifts, I usually don't have a problem with that. Unless someone has the balls to ask for iPads and free smartphones or laptops. When that happens I text them my Nigerian bank account number and the converted price of the item. You won't hear anything about it again. Nonsense.

13 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by chookudi(m): 2:27pm On Jan 22, 2015
j
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by chookudi(m): 2:28pm On Jan 22, 2015
just saw that you stay in sydney. What part of sydney do you stay? would have preferred sending you a pm but i do not know your policy regarding that.
oge4real:

Sorry.
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by blackfase(m): 2:29pm On Jan 22, 2015
Love ur comment, funny die lol

veave:
every tom dick and harry will ask for money.
even people who have never talked to you will email a list of things you should send to them.
relatives you never knew exist will tell you how they are entitled to some ridiculous amount of dollars from you monthly. why, "na dem train your papa for secondary school"
your immediate family nko? they will go and collect gbese to pose all in your name... "my broad dey yankee, e go soon send me dollars now now. no worry I go pay"

which way naija?
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Ufranklin92(m): 2:32pm On Jan 22, 2015
efguy1:
u no gree sell am for N500. I for buy 2 GB now

lmao
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by KanwuliaJara: 2:46pm On Jan 22, 2015
iykedare:

liar. you of all people dash someone money? Hungry woman.

Only those who have can give darling! kiss

3 Likes

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by KanwuliaJara: 2:49pm On Jan 22, 2015
sanmibukunmi:

lol.............people are wicked ooo. na them send you go abroad ni abi u get share for the kids wey them born............ grin grin

Na the same toto wey I get the woman get o. grin
I go do asssshawo finish, come take my money dash "CHRISTIAN husband and wife plus DOZENS OF FRESSSSH FRUITS make dem come go give 10% to one TB JOSHUA MOFO abi? cheesy

Na dem go first spit for my face as dem dey marsssssh go HEAVIIIN. Me and my OBJ go they beg dem for water by the gate of hell! grin

Omo! See GOBE!!!! AYAKATAAAAAAAA!!!! grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by Nutase: 2:51pm On Jan 22, 2015
shegsky:

When you go repent.
i don repent now
Re: Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives by iykedare(m): 2:54pm On Jan 22, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

Only those who have can give darling! kiss

Exactly my point. You don't have. Stop the lies. kiss kiss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Must Marry This Year! From Desire To Desperation ! Please Learn From This / Fifteen Stupid Things A Wife Can Do To Mess Up Her Marriage!!! / Friends Mourn As 26-year-old Lady Dies Months After Her Wedding. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.