Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria (34017 Views)

University Courses That You Should Not Study - NUC / Courses You Should Not Study If You cannot hustle / Do You Want To Be A Millionaire? Do Not Study Medicine And These Courses- Forbes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by KenSaroWiwa: 8:20pm On Jan 24, 2015
fuckerholic:

We are talking about certificate relevance and you are here telling us to vote for he that has no certificate or betterstill a certificate forger. Fool
If you know nothing other than insults, just keep quiet and let the intelligent ones talk. Båstard !!!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by cromz(m): 8:29pm On Jan 24, 2015
Gat no worries my uncle is olalekan ojo the best criminal case lawyer in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by paix(m): 8:36pm On Jan 24, 2015
mastercee:
I won't be surprised if I get to see a thread on Nairaland stating "5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Medicine in Nigeria"

Abeg! Which course come dey lucrative for this our country?
Na politics na or open a Church.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Ephemmm: 9:40pm On Jan 24, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Ok. So now tell me which course I should study in Nigeria

Secretarial Studies/Administration: more marketable than law.

Both even share the same professional examination tongue tongue tongue
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Luizkid(m): 9:55pm On Jan 24, 2015
mastercee:
I won't be surprised if I get to see a thread on Nairaland stating "5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Medicine in Nigeria"

Abeg! Which course come dey lucrative for this our country?
Corruptionlogy, Agborology or PDPlogy
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Samoranopapa(m): 10:13pm On Jan 24, 2015
Vivly:
Ok. So I guess all law students will withdraw after reading this.
This post can't make me withdraw
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by kristein(m): 10:34pm On Jan 24, 2015
the day that someone will wake up from sleep and type rubbish that"chaterred accountant are not lucrative or worth of good living in ngeria"i shall personally sue the i.diot to cult angry
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by akpumping7720(m): 10:56pm On Jan 24, 2015
nollyj:

Please share your comment here. No insult
Whether you study law in this country or not it depends on u. Coz there is no future in any job the future lies with the person holding the job

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by jidxin(m): 12:18am On Jan 25, 2015
hardbody:

My dear, what you read on that post was written by a frustrated person with little or no knowledge about how law works. Study hard and pass your bar finals and get called to the bar. Using myself as an example:

I graduated 2.1. Served with a bank, practised with a law firm that has a SAN as the head of chambers. I moved on to join union bank, later i joined fidelity bank. From Fidelity i joined Globacom. I left Glo to a non banking financial institution and then to another. I am presently in a talk with an upstream oil and gas company. I will retire to practise. Does the idiotic op know that our options are limitless? Pursue your dreams. As an aside, the ivy league law firms like O&A, Templars, Aelex, etc pay better than banks and expose you to off shore trainings, jobs and partnerships. The OP lives in a small cocoon and may never realize what happens in real life.

As a lawyer, i have never been delayed on the road when i am doing inter state travels. The Police respect you and the ordinary man steers clear. Again I say, pursue your dreams.
bro nice 1 oo I would love to ve ur number pls
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by ogbonoeba: 1:08am On Jan 25, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Ok. So now tell me which course I should study in Nigeria

Money laundering
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by CHIMCO(m): 3:23am On Jan 25, 2015
The poster is obviously not a lawyer so, i will not join issues with him. But readers, for your interest, ignore this post. His opinions are wrong.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by CHIMCO(m): 3:30am On Jan 25, 2015
The poster is obviously not a lawyer so, i will not join issues with him. But readers, for your best interest, ignore this post. His opinions are wrong.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by ElCuajo(m): 7:49am On Jan 25, 2015
Yes, the legal profession may seem saturated, yes they pay most young wigs & some lawyers serving under their principals peanuts, but to the OP, you need to know what your plans for the future are, is it money you want? Is it to defend the defenceless? Is it just gallivant with the title Barr.? Is it to fulfil the wish of your ancestors who couldn't be Lawyers?
Answer these question and you'll have an idea what you want, If it's money like I suspect, the legal field is not restricted to advocacy or practice alone, there are limitless places to work as a lawyer, "shine your eyes" if you might be a lawyer, plus you can set up a business & still benefit from legal drafting as lawyer.
Law is the best course in the world, don't be discouraged.
Waiting on other learned colleagues to have a say...
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 25, 2015
hardbody:

My dear, what you read on that post was written by a frustrated person with little or no knowledge about how law works. Study hard and pass your bar finals and get called to the bar. Using myself as an example:

I graduated 2.1. Served with a bank, practised with a law firm that has a SAN as the head of chambers. I moved on to join union bank, later i joined fidelity bank. From Fidelity i joined Globacom. I left Glo to a non banking financial institution and then to another. I am presently in a talk with an upstream oil and gas company. I will retire to practise. Does the idiotic op know that our options are limitless? Pursue your dreams. As an aside, the ivy league law firms like O&A, Templars, Aelex, etc pay better than banks and expose you to off shore trainings, jobs and partnerships. The OP lives in a small cocoon and may never realize what happens in real life.

As a lawyer, i have never been delayed on the road when i am doing inter state travels. The Police respect you and the ordinary man steers clear. Again I say, pursue your dreams.
Nice one. Pls do you have any idea where someone with just a law degree can work? A friend just want to study law in the university without going to law school (though may probably go ahead with Law School if her name comes out)and probably further in International Relations(Masters) cos she desires to work in a Foreign Ministry/Organisation. Is that possible?
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Osarieme415(m): 10:59am On Jan 25, 2015
@OP I agree with your first,and second point.I can gladly say so with authority because I study law.I must say categorically that seven years might not seem like eternity if you are bound to come out of law school before 25.(I will be done with law school before 24.The noble profession is age-rewarding and respect for seniors at the bar can never be underemphasized. But the truth is rookies are sometimes sneered at and intimidated. The prayer of a new-wig is never to meet a SAN or any oldie in his first litigation case for the latter can make a fool of him,like asking him "_what year he left law school'" during court proceeding in the presence of his client.
However I must state categorically that it is rare(almost impossible) to find a practicing lawyer unemployed.(Even if he graduates with a third class).This is because Degrees can never justify your knowledge of the law in court.SOME MAY BE UNDEREMPLOYED BUT WE ARE NEVER UNEMPLOYED.If you assign a case to a two-room law firm,the minimum amount you are charged with is 200K.Besides have you heard of law firms like Banwo and Ighodalo,Consolex,Wale Babalakin,Templars.My friend who interned in Banwo during the semester break was sent to Turkey.Whoever put the idea into you that lawyers are at the world's extreme corner?
Concerning risk factor,_there are many mouthwatering areas of law that fetch fat pay e.g Oil and Gas,Law of Taxation,Company Law,Commercial Law etc.
Try visit Akintola Deloitte one of these days.
You don't have to go to court to practice these branches of law.In where I intern my boss says in his year of practice he has never gone to court. No time to shout. And they make bloody dough there.For instance my law firm once had to draft a contract once 6 Million Dollars(I hope you know what that means)
Many a lawyer nowadays do not go to court.
All men were equal until God created lawyers(Abeg na joke I dey ooooh)
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Osarieme415(m): 11:05am On Jan 25, 2015
Phiozy:
Nice one. Pls do you have any idea where someone with just a law degree can work? A friend just want to study law in the university without going to law school (though may probably go ahead with Law School if her name comes out)and probably further in International Relations(Masters) cos she desires to work in a Foreign Ministry/Organisation. Is that possible?
He/she can work anywhere even in the bank.The only disadvantage of not going to law school is that you have no right of audience in court i.e you can not represent a client but you can draft contracts and do other law-related stuff

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by hardbody: 11:28am On Jan 25, 2015
Phiozy:

Your first degree in Law LL.B qualifies you as a ĺawyer and gives you right to practise as a solicitor and you can handle jobs related to solicitorship. Preparation and stamping of deeds, CAC jobs, etc. However in todays Nigeria almost every employer of labour will insist that a prospective employee must have been called to Bar and this will definitely restrict chances of employment if it is not acquired. Encourage your friend to go through the process. The advantage beyond getting an employment is that it enables you venture into practice on your own when everything else fails. It is also instructive to note that the Law School programme helps in clearer understanding and application of those courses taught in the Uni such as equity and trusts, criminal law, evidence and procedure. There are law school courses tailored to bring all of these courses together and bring them to life. I wish your friend the very best.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:46pm On Jan 25, 2015
steppin:

Study Zoology.
zoology ke? Mak I bigin rub minds wit monkey, lion & elephant dem abii Guy ur belle bad aswear..
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:47pm On Jan 25, 2015
fresh360:

BOKOHARAMography
I don wanna b a menace 2 Nigeria abeg..
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:52pm On Jan 25, 2015
olatiler:

Bro I advise you to Fishery
so if enta river/stream now wit net bigin spray am 4 water 2 catch fish e go swt u Kai! Ur belle bitter pass yoyo bitters..
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:56pm On Jan 25, 2015
merits:
you can study boko haramlogy.
kai! I no wan b a thorn in Naija's flesh nah.. I dey responsible abeg
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:58pm On Jan 25, 2015
Ephemmm:

Secretarial Studies/Administration: more marketable than law.

Both even share the same professional examination tongue tongue tongue
law na law. Secretarial studies ke? I no wan b secretary abeg grin grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by BeeBeeOoh(m): 1:02pm On Jan 25, 2015
ogbonoeba:

Money laundering
ok! U mean money-launderiology abii kai! I rebuke & reject. Abeg I no wan b 1 governor from niger delta..
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by merits(m): 2:34pm On Jan 25, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
kai! I no wan b a thorn in Naija's flesh nah.. I dey responsible abeg
hahahaha u b coward dude den.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by fuckerholic(m): 7:10pm On Jan 25, 2015
KenSaroWiwa:

If you know nothing other than insults, just keep quiet and let the intelligent ones talk. Båstard !!!
APC dog barking
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by jidxin(m): 9:31pm On Jan 25, 2015
hardbody:

. nice one bro but pls I would love to have your phone number
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by Ephemmm: 9:15am On Jan 26, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
law na law. Secretarial studies ke? I no wan b secretary abeg grin grin

The course dey marketable than law walahi angry shocked cheesy
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by jidxin(m): 11:35pm On Jan 27, 2015
hardbody:

. nice one bro bt pls can I ve ur number pls

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by hardbody: 5:24am On Jan 28, 2015
jidxin:
. nice one bro bt pls can I ve ur number pls

You inboxed me via PM and i responded. You dont expect in all seruousness that i will put up my number on a public forum such as this.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by originbm: 1:28pm On Oct 18, 2016
OPPORTUNITIES IN THE LEGAL PROFESSION

*Advocacy
*Soliciting (Corporate Practice)
*The Academia
*The Bench
*Administrator
*Government Lawyer (In-house Counsel)
*Company Secretary/Legal Adviser
*Property Estate Business
*Aviation Law
*NGOs
*Maritime Sector
*Telecommunications
*Oil and Gas Sector
*Politics
*Intellectual Property, Trademark, Copy Right and Potency
*Negotiator
*Entertainment (Music, Sports, etc)
*Family Law Practice
*Taxation
*Accidents and Injury (Compensation)
*Insolvency matters
*Hospital Forensic Matters
*Prosecutors, expert investigators, handwriting experts, corruption matters
*Election Petitions
*Security Issues
*International Relations
*Refugee and Vulnerable persons Activist
*Debt Recovery Agent
*Agent for diverse Principals for diverse occasions
*Publisher, Law Reporting, Law Historian
*Inventor or adaptor of technology for legal practice
*Entrepreneur of legal consumables (legal boutique, wig, gown, collarette, dress, suit, dinner wears, shoes, lawyer stickers etc)
*Proposer and author of bills and laws
*Immigration Law Expert, Citizenship etc
*Custom Matters, Trade, Clearance
*NOLLYWOOD Business Matters
*Hosting Legal and Social Events (e.g conferences)
*Media Legal Correspondent for print and electronic media
*Talk Show Host on legal issues and experiences
*Social Justice Crusader
*Continuing Legal Education I.e trainings.
*Contractor to the Judiciary
*Probate matter expert (wills, letter of administration etc)
*Charge and Bail
*Police
*Constitutional Lawyer
*Human Rights Lawyer
*Devotional For Lawyers
*Leadership
*Women Right Crusader
*Guide for those in Incarceration
*Children Right Matters
*Book Writer

THE REQUIRED SKILLS
¶Passion
¶Vision
¶Knowledge
¶Tenacity
¶Consistency
¶Excellence

"Remember that you are a matchless original. They can only look like you, or act like you... but they can never be you"

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Study Law In Nigeria by ItalianProf(m): 7:52pm On Oct 18, 2016
free2ryhme:

which school did you go to undecided
Op please must you still repeat the post?..can't you just comment and save the stress of scrolling biko!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

States With The Most Unqualified Teachers In Primary Schools — Statisense / 2 Undergraduates Of Ambrose Alli University Killed In Edo Cult Clash (Photos) / Buhari: Only University Lecturers On IPPIS Would Get Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.