Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? (1415 Views)

PDP: Niger Delta Avengers Destroying Our Economy / Fani-Kayode Warns Lai Mohammed: 'Stop Insulting PDP Or I Will Spank You' / See How APC Intend To Fight Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 26, 2015
I just read an interesting article by Prof Charles Soludo and I began to think deeply. Neither the PDP nor the APC have told us in clear terms, with figures attached, how they intend to fix our economy. With the recent fall in price of crude oil and devaluation of the Naira, what is the way forward Nigeria?

I am asking this question like a Nigerian now without any connections to any political party. Please this is not a thread for shouting GEJ till 2019 or Sai Buhari!

We need facts and figures on how the economy of Nigeria will be managed in the coming months.

God bless Nigeria.
Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by egift(m): 10:37am On Jan 26, 2015
While Jonathan is busy searching for certificate he knows exist, looking for phone numbers and preparing for marathon with his opponents, Buhari have been busy outlining his plans for Nigeria.

On Economy:
- Diversifying the economy by exploring and boosting other sources of revenue for the government.
- Investing and developing other sectors like Technology, Agriculture, Mining, etc to boost revenue.
- Curtail Corruption in the system to help prevent funds that are blatantly looted by government officials and re-invest them in capital projects.
- Make funds available to new and existing small-scale businesses in order to empower Nigerians to grow economically.
- Review all existing Government economic policies to streamline them for better implementation.
- Open up mining exploration across Nigeria for job opportunities.
- Invest in Education and Healthcare delivery as a long term effort for Human Capital Development.

These and many more. You can read more at www.thisisbuhari.com and get updates on https://twitter.com/ThisIsBuhari

1 Like

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by anonimi: 10:48am On Jan 26, 2015
Buhari told us already:

He will dash N5,000 to 25 million unemployed people, which is N1.5 trillion in 12 months and equals 1/3rd of the 2014 budget. shocked
He would rather create eternally dependent almajiris and area boys rather than provide enabling environment that adequately generates employments so people can earn a living in DIGNITY!

As it was with his military DICTATOR regime of two years the pensioner has nothing on managing the economy beyond IMPORTING cheap & cheerful basic items like rice, milk, sugar, vegetable oil etc that killed our farms & factories resulting in massive unemployment.

The systematically scientific duo fo Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and Arch. Namadi Sambo have been reviving the factories and agribusinesses that have overtaken the old style farms due to agro-industrial policies of the technocrat-filled cabinet of this federal administration. Jobs are being created again by private sector investors under a stable economic policy for progressive growth. Which reasonable Nigerian wouldn't want this to continue

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by Nobody: 10:56am On Jan 26, 2015
egift:
While Jonathan is busy searching for certificate he knows exist, looking for phone numbers and preparing for marathon with his opponents, Buhari have been busy outlining his plans for Nigeria.

On Economy:
- Diversifying the economy by exploring and boosting other sources of revenue for the government.
- Investing and developing other sectors like Technology, Agriculture, Mining, etc to boost revenue.
- Curtail Corruption in the system to help prevent funds that are blatantly looted by government officials and re-invest them in capital projects.
- Make funds available to new and existing small-scale businesses in order to empower Nigerians to grow economically.
- Review all existing Government economic policies to streamline them for better implementation.
- Invest in Education and Healthcare delivery as a long term effort for Human Capital Development.

These and many more. You can read more at www.thisisbuhari.com and get updates on https://twitter.com/ThisIsBuhari

With the falling oil prices, how does Buhari intend to generate/raise the money needed to do all these?

3 Likes

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by Nobody: 10:58am On Jan 26, 2015
anonimi:
Buhari told us already:

He will dash N5,000 to 25 million unemployed people, which is N1.5 trillion in 12 months and equals 1/3rd of the 2014 budget. shocked
He would rather create eternally dependent almajiris and area boys rather than provide enabling environment that adequately generates employments so people can earn a living in DIGNITY!

As it was with his military DICTATOR regime of two years the pensioner has nothing on managing the economy beyond IMPORTING cheap & cheerful basic items like rice, milk, sugar, vegetable oil etc that killed our farms & factories resulting in massive unemployment.

The systematically scientific duo fo Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and Arch. Namadi Sambo have been reviving the factories and agribusinesses that have overtaken the old style farms due to agro-industrial policies of the technocrat-filled cabinet of this federal administration. Jobs are being created again by private sector investors under a stable economic policy for progressive growth. Which reasonable Nigerian wouldn't want this to continue

Obviously the dashing of N5,000 is dead on arrival, my question now is how does Jonathan intend to stem the downward trend in the economy?
Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by anonimi: 11:03am On Jan 26, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
Obviously the dashing of N5,000 is dead on arrival, my question now is how does Jonathan intend to stem the downward trend in the economy?

Where/How did you get the information that our economy is in a downward trend?
Please share the details.
Thanks.

While you are thinking of how to respond and doing research to justify your response, please allow me to share this with you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by anonimi: 11:06am On Jan 26, 2015
egift:

On Economy:

Talk is CHEAP.

When you want to RECRUIT an employee, you don't just listen to him TALK.
No. You also check his track record whether he has cognate experience to deliver on his proposal.

Unfortunately the old soldier's antecedents do not match the EMPTY promises he is making today.

Vote wisely!!!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by Truckpusher(m): 11:08am On Jan 26, 2015
anonimi:

Talk is CHEAP.

When you want to RECRUIT an employee, you don't just listen to him TALK.
No. You also check his track record whether he has cognate experience to deliver on his proposal.

Unfortunately the old soldier's antecedents do not match the EMPTY promises he is making today.

Vote wisely!!!
And the question arises again; Can you give what you don't have?

5 Likes

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by anonimi: 11:11am On Jan 26, 2015
Truckpusher:
And the question arises again; Can you give what you don't have?

Abi oh.

The problem with Buhari is not his medical age. No.
Rather the problem is with the age of his ideas.

Vote wisely!!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by Truckpusher(m): 11:15am On Jan 26, 2015
anonimi:

Abi oh.

Vote wisely!!!
14th century way of running a country.

What if the people starts attacking the troops if pushed to the walls ? then you have succeeded in creating more anarchy at the end of the day.

Buhari belongs to the museum but I guess too many people are glued to the word ''change'' that they hardly notice how backward and achaic the flag bearer of that change is.

voting in a Buhari will set this country ablaze.

2 Likes

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by anonimi: 11:22am On Jan 26, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

You can also read this related post:

https://www.nairaland.com/2113959/why-never-vote-jonathan#30145069
Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 26, 2015
anonimi:

Thanks.

While you are thinking of how to respond and doing research to justify your response, please allow me to share this with you.

My brother, have you read the article recently released by Prof Soludo? That man is someone I respect a lot and he has scored Jonathan low on performance. It appears Nigerian are not "Feeling" the results of these achievements you have enumerated. lipsrsealed
Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by dunkem21(m): 11:26am On Jan 26, 2015
anonimi:

Abi oh.

Vote wisely!!!

Hahahahaha. Forcing people to sell lower than they bought in a bid to fight corruption? ..and neglecting the forces of demand and supply.

A little knowledge of mathematics and economics would have been an added advantage to his career.

Its really a pity.
Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 26, 2015
anonimi:

You can also read this related post:

https://www.nairaland.com/2113959/why-never-vote-jonathan#30145069

I am a strong Jonathan supporter on this forum, all I am concerned about now is our economy especially with the free fall in price of crude oil. God help us.

It is well Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by egift(m): 11:32am On Jan 26, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
With the falling oil prices, how does Buhari intend to generate/raise the money needed to do all these?

1. Cut down the cost of running government. Buhari has already promised to work with the National Assembly to review the earnings political office holders across board. Currently over 80% of the budget go in for salaries while only about 20% is left for capital projects and development.

2. Buy diversifying the economy, government can earn better revenue to develop Nigeria.

3. Buhari also has promised devolution of power so that States can have power and control oven internally generated revenue. This will encourage healthy competition among State to generate additional revenue. Remember that the Tax Code will be uniform so that some State Government will not be exploiting the masses.

A vote for Jonathan is a continuation of his failed economic policies that have not impacted positively on the masses.

While a vote for Buhari is a strong statement that we want change and set of new competent hands to take progressive measures that will benefit every Nigerian (rich or poor).

Vote for Change, vote APC.

1 Like

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by anonimi: 11:34am On Jan 26, 2015
Truckpusher:
14th century way of running a country.

What if the people starts attacking the troops if pushed to the walls ? then you have succeeded in creating more anarchy at the end of the day.

Buhari belongs to the museum but I guess too many people are glued to the word ''change'' that they hardly notice how backward and achaic the flag bearer of that change is.

voting in a Buhari will set this country ablaze.

No wonder the JagaBandit head of the Thief'nuibu CABAL declared as far back as 2011 that the old soldier is an EXPIRED product:

Tinubu rules out alliance with CPC
March 21, 2011

“What has CPC got to offer? We certainly don’t need expired leadership as we are offering the best in terms of brilliance, courage and patriotism in the class of Sarkozi of France, David Cameron of Britain and Barack Obama of the USA"

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/tinubu-rules-out-alliance-with-cpc/#sthash.kucUQs7m.dpuf

Maybe any of the APC internet warriors will let us know why Ogbeni Ojuyobo is aggressively marketing a recycled product without NAFDAC clearance certificate shocked
Yes, that word again- certificate.

Vote wisely!!!

1 Like

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by anonimi: 11:38am On Jan 26, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
My brother, have you read the article recently released by Prof Soludo? That man is someone I respect a lot and he has scored Jonathan low on performance. It appears Nigerian are not "Feeling" the results of these achievements you have enumerated. lipsrsealed

There is a serious communication gap in the federal administration that needs urgent correction. Nevertheless be rest assured that many real beneficiaries of the laudable initiatives for steady progress "feel" the results of the ONGOING transformation.

The key issue in next month's election is what can the alternative offer to Jonathan's steady progress.
The answer is nothing better only something WORSE based on the records
of their flag bearer and even the governor who could have been their "best" candidate.

Vote wisely!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by egift(m): 11:39am On Jan 26, 2015
anonimi:

Here is Soludo's response to the bold:

"The parallels with the Shagari regime are troubling. First, at the time of oil boom, Nigeria again went on a consumption spree such that the budgets of the last five years can best be described as ‘consumption budgets’, with new borrowing by the federal government exceeding the actual expenditure on critical infrastructure.

Second, not one penny was added to the stock of foreign reserves at a period Nigeria earned hundreds of billions from oil. For comparisons, President Obasanjo met about $5 billion in foreign reserves, and the average monthly oil price for the 72 months he was in office was $38, and yet he left $43 billion in foreign reserves after paying $12 billion to write-off Nigeria’s external debt. In the last five years, the average monthly oil price has been over $100, and the quantity also higher but our foreign reserves have been declining and exchange rate depreciating.
I note that when I assumed office as Governor of CBN, the stock of foreign reserves was $10 billion.

The average monthly oil price during my 60 months in office was $59, but foreign reserve reached the all- time peak of $62 billion (and despite paying $12 billion for external debt, and losing over $15 billion during the unprecedented global financial and economic crisis) I left behind $45 billion. Recall also that our exchange rate continuously appreciated during this period and was at N117 to the dollar before the global crisis and we deliberately allowed it to depreciate in order to preserve our reserves. My calculation is that if the economy was better managed, our foreign reserves should have been between $102 –$118 billion and exchange rate around N112 before the fall in oil prices. As of now, the reserves should be around $90 billion and exchange rate no higher than N125 per dollar."

"Fourth, poverty incidence and unemployment are also simultaneously at all-time high levels. According to the NBS, poverty incidence grew to 69% in 2010 and projected to be 71% in 2011, with unemployment at 24%. This is the worst record in Nigeria’s history, and the paradox is that this happened during the unprecedented oil boom.

One theme I picked up listening to the campaign rallies as well as to some of the propagandists is the confusion about measuring government “performance”. Most people seem to confuse ‘inputs’, or ‘processes’ with output. Earlier this month, I had a dinner with a group of friends (14 of
us) and we were chit-chatting about Nigeria. One of us, an associate of President Jonathan veered off to repeat a propaganda mantra that Jonathan had outperformed his predecessors. He also reminded us that Jonathan re-based the GDP and that Nigeria is now the biggest economy in Africa; etc. It was fun listening to the response by others. In sum, the group agreed that the President had ‘outperformed’ his predecessors except that it is in reverse order."

First, my friend was educated that re-basing the GDP is no achievement: it is a routine statistical exercise, and depending on the base year that you choose, you get a different GDP figure. Re-basing the GDP has nothing to do with government policy. Besides, as naira-dollar exchange rate continues to depreciate, the GDP in current dollars will also shrink considerably soon.

We were reminded of Jonathan’s agricultural ‘revolution’. But someone cut in and noted that for all the propaganda, the growth rate of the agricultural sector in the last five years still remains far below the performance under Obasanjo. One of us reminded him that no other president had presided over the slaughter of about 15,000 people by insurgents in a peacetime; no other president earned up to 50% of the amount of resources the current government earned from oil and yet with very little outcomes; no other president had the rate of borrowing; none had significant forex earnings and yet did not add one penny to foreign reserves but losing international reserves at a time of boom; no other president had a depreciating exchange rate at a time of export boom; at no time in Nigeria’s history has poverty reached 71% (even under Abacha, it was 67 -70%); and under no other president did unemployment reach 24%. Surely, these are unprecedented records and he
surely ‘outperformed’ his predecessors! What a satire!

"One of those present took the satire to some level by comparing Jonathan to the ‘performance’ of the former Governor of Anambra, Peter Obi. He noted that while Obi gloated about ‘savings’, there is no signature project to remember his regime except that his regime took the first position among all states in Nigeria in the democratization of poverty—-mass impoverishment of the people of Anambra.

According to the National Bureau of Statistics, poverty rose under his watch in Anambra from 20% in 2004 (lowest in Nigeria then) to 68% in 2010 (a 238% deterioration!). Our friend likened it to a father who had no idea of what to do with his resources and was celebrating his fat bank account while his children were dying of kwashiorkor. He pointed out that since it is the likes of Peter Obi who are the advisers to Jonathan on how to manage the economy (thereby confusing micromanagement which you do as a trader with macro governance) it is little wonder that poverty is fast becoming another name for Nigeria. It was a very hilarious evening."

"My advice to President Jonathan and his handlers is to stop wasting their time trying to campaign on his job record. His record on the economy is a clear ‘F’ grade. As one reviews the laundry list of micro interventions the government calls its achievements, one wonders whether such list is all that the government could deliver with an unprecedented oil boom and an unprecedented public debt accumulation. I can clearly see why reasonable people are worried."
Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by anonimi: 11:41am On Jan 26, 2015
egift:
3. Buhari also has promised devolution of power so that States can have power and control oven internally generated revenue.

Do the 36 states not currently "have power and control oven internally generated revenue."

How much of the N246 billion Lagos IGR in 2013 (up from N7.2 billion in 1999 i.e. over 34 times increase) did Fashola share with anyone?

Vote wisely!!!
Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by anonimi: 11:43am On Jan 26, 2015
egift:
Here is Soludo's response to the bold:

You should VERIFY what oil boom is Soludo talking about then come back here to discuss further. Okay

Meanwhile in case you missed it, let me serve it to you again:

EUROBOMBER:
I am a strong Jonathan supporter on this forum, all I am concerned about now is our economy especially with the free fall in price of crude oil. God help us.

It is well Nigeria.
Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by egift(m): 12:02pm On Jan 26, 2015
anonimi:
You should VERIFY what oil boom is Soludo talking about then come back here to discuss further. Okay

Meanwhile in case you missed it, let me serve it to you again:

The oil boom he is talking about is when price of oil per barrel was around and above $100. Instead of Jonathan saving more than his predecessors, he was squandering what was in the reserve, eating up the massive income and also borrowed even more than the previous regimes. Also poverty rate increased in the mist of plenty.

That is reason why immediately there is a decline, Jonathan is having problem funding budget, paying salary, etc. The summery is that Jonathan has mismanaged the economy - So why then should we reelect such incompetent individual to preside over Nigeria especially when we are on the brink of economic collapse because of his inefficiencies?

Nigerians need Buhari - a man who will Not tell us that stealing billions and trillions is not corruption. Vote for Change.
Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by BlackTechnology: 12:08pm On Jan 26, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
I just read an interesting article by Prof Charles Soludo and I began to think deeply. Neither the PDP nor the APC have told us in clear terms, with figures attached, how they intend to fix our economy. With the recent fall in price of crude oil and devaluation of the Naira, what is the way forward Nigeria?

I am asking this question like a Nigerian now without any connections to any political party. Please this is not a thread for shouting GEJ till 2019 or Sai Buhari!

We need facts and figures on how the economy of Nigeria will be managed in the coming months.

God bless Nigeria.

TRUE FEDERALISM

GEJ has promised to implement the Confab report which is the first step towards true federalism. wink

1 Like

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by jmoore(m): 12:10pm On Jan 26, 2015

1 Like

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by BlackTechnology: 12:10pm On Jan 26, 2015
egift:

The oil boom he is talking about is when price of oil per barrel was around and above $100. Instead of Jonathan saving more than his predecessors, he was squandering what was in the reserve, eating up the massive income and also borrowed even more than the previous regimes. Also poverty rate increased in the mist of plenty.

That is reason why immediately there is a decline, Jonathan is having problem funding budget, paying salary, etc. The summery is that Jonathan has mismanaged the economy - So why then should we reelect such incompetent individual to preside over Nigeria especially when we are on the brink of economic collapse because of his inefficiencies?

Nigerians need Buhari - a man who will Not tell us that stealing billions and trillions is not corruption. Vote for Change.

If only economic illiterates like you have demanded for true federalism, Nigeria would have catch up with the rest of the world

On TRUE FEDERALISM we stand

1 Like

Re: How Does The PDP Or APC Intend To Fix Our Economy? by BlackTechnology: 12:14pm On Jan 26, 2015
anonimi:

Do the 36 states not currently "have power and control oven internally generated revenue."

How much of the N246 billion Lagos IGR in 2013 (up from N7.2 billion in 1999 i.e. over 34 times increase) did Fashola share with anyone?

Vote wisely!!!

GbamGbam

That is the amount they told us

What of the ones they hid wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

He Was Attacked For Supporting Buhari (PHOTO) / Missing #30 Trillion: I Wont Reply Soludo Again- Okonjo-iweala / Buhari Paralyzes Maiduguri, See Mammoth Crowd At His Rally (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.