Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit (7746 Views)

Before You Bullshit Your Woman Or Wife, Look At This Picture! / And The BULLSHIT Plays On / My Wedding Is In A Week And I Have Pimples All Over My Face. Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by busybein: 7:52pm On Dec 27, 2008
hahhahahahhaa so dis outlaw has not stepped up wt his words yet,u pple shouldnt be bothered,d only insult he knows on dis planet earth is "bitch" dats d only word he knows
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by savanaha: 8:14pm On Dec 27, 2008
busybein:

hahhahahahhaa so this outlaw has not stepped up wt his words yet,u people shouldnt be bothered,d only insult he knows on this planet earth is "bitch" that is d only word he knows

Being the only black kid in Portland Oregon gave him the false feel that he is "gansta" so he listens to clean rap where the biggest curse is bitch and ass.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by echelon(m): 11:12pm On Dec 27, 2008
savanaha:

How do you know they hike it up if there is no set price? Maybe they realize the risk of giving their beloved daughter to such a hooligan as [b]Outlaws-the-idiot [/b]so they set the price to shoo him
How do I know? I've seen it done. I've been in some of these negotiations before  wink
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by Nobody: 4:30am On Dec 28, 2008
outlaws:

To:Ebony crap:
Shut your dirty mouth
Do I look like someone you know? Am not a member of your family, boy.

Simple suggestion, think before you type. Village idiot
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by IGWEUSA(m): 12:11pm On Dec 28, 2008
@ poster,

No matter the amount of bride price or the marriage expenses, we shouldnt conclude that parents are selling their daughters as slaves.
                 Instead,, they are only abiding to their tradition.

********** do U want ur tradition to be wiped out?***********
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by Skidoc(m): 6:09pm On Dec 28, 2008
Guys please don't let this denegerate into a war of words. Outlaw has a point about the people who, under the cover of tradition, extort money from their in-laws. He just didn't express himself politely.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by meexteriox(m): 9:50am On Dec 29, 2008
@poster
You sound like a kid who just lost his toy. You run your smelly mouth about an issue you are not even conversant with.
Basically, i know you are suffering from some sort of cultural mishap, because your ''insult infested post'' speaks a lot
about your miserable background. Pathetic slob.
Lest i forget, or is it that you were not able to pay an igbo lady bride price or you are simply frustrated with life?
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by outlaws(m): 3:57pm On Dec 29, 2008
cool

To:Meexteriox:

Another bastard that wants to post his shity lame opinion.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by jamace(m): 6:36pm On Dec 29, 2008
Poster,
Please cool down. I thought you brought up the topic for discussion as is customary on the forum. I f you are not satisfied with a tradition/custom of any tribe/ethnic group, you only need to bring it forward for various opinions/views of members of the forum. The way you are throwing tantrums at most respondents is not too gentlemanly and unbecoming of a member of this educative and honorable forum. Please, tender apologies and represent your issue for proper deliberations. Cheers.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by outlaws(m): 8:18pm On Dec 29, 2008
cool

Me apologize? You must be out of your Zap.i.n.g. mind.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by fireangels(f): 10:28pm On Dec 29, 2008
TRADITION IS TRADITION

If you do not have money to marry a naija babe
pls just stick with the akatas
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by outlaws(m): 6:27am On Dec 30, 2008
cool

To:FireCrap:

Shut your fat lips bitch.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by SeaGoddes(f): 7:27am On Dec 30, 2008
onye na eji ego na eri ofe owerri, nwanna o grin

yes i must admit frankly that some parents do use their daughters to extort money from their in-laws/ they request unnecessary things and it is only someone who has experienced it that can tell you how dishearting it can be and it is very sad(as with everything where there is good ppl there will always be bad folks) but then traditional marriage is still a crucial part of our igbo heritage that cant be easily extinguished. and it is very fun especially when the bride Carry's the Palm wine and starting looking for the husband.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by SeanT21(f): 8:00am On Dec 30, 2008
To outlaws

CHILL OUT!!
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by fireangels(f): 8:10am On Dec 30, 2008
@outlaws

why are u getting all worked up
take a chill pill dear cool

dont think becos am nu here u cud just run ur mouth anyhow
u wldnt want me to get started,
so jus chill pls
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by idiopathic: 9:37pm On Dec 30, 2008
Hello Nairalanders,
In as much as i support some of our traditional practices, we need not allow it rule our lives and it should be modified in accordance with the changing times.
For example, in the course of our collective history, we have had some practices that have been stopped e.g.
1) Polygamy used to be our tradition, but now in decline.
2) Osu caste system is still practiced in several Ibo cultures. Obviously, we all know this is the worst case of apartheid.
3) Throwing away twins was once widely practiced in some areas.

The high bride price and pressure to excel in Ibo culture is one of the reasons a lot of Ibo boys take high risks in order to succeed in life. Unfortunately, this has unintended consequences such as disproportionate representations of young Ibo boys in prison all over the world.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by idiopathic: 9:51pm On Dec 30, 2008
The high cost of wedding in Ibo culture is a leading cause of many men waiting till their late 30's and even early 40's before tying the knot. These "old men" will retire around the age of 60 when their first child will be in their 20's, probably in University with it's attendant expenses.
A lot of the girls are also having to wait longer which doesn't fit in with their time limited biologic cycle.

I am about to get married to girl from Nnewi an was given 3 (three) lists for the traditional wedding:
1) List one would cost over 330 000=00 naira.
2) List two consists of the following:
(a) A bottle of wine and to enclose an unspecified amount of money in envelopes to 51 named individuals.
(b) A piece of cloth and money in envelope to 14 different individuals.
(c) Soft drinks and money in envelope to 12 different named individuals.
3) I am yet to get a list for her bride price and cost of feeding the expected guests.

This is just for the traditional wedding and i am yet to add the cost of the court and church wedding.

A conservative estimate will be over 1.5 million naira.

Is it wise living in penury for years after a marriage ceremony?
I am not against tradition, but it should not be rigid and should be modified in parallel with the prevailing economic climate.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by Hauwa1: 9:56pm On Dec 30, 2008
wow!!! that your list is lipsrsealed may God bless me with 8 girls jare cheesy

idio, what did your wife say? wait can a wife help talk to her parents to reduce those cost? am just curious.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by idiopathic: 10:34pm On Dec 30, 2008
My fiancee is very understanding but unfortunately, has no say in the whole decision-making process as the elders were firmly in command.
She even volunteered to share part of the bill but i am very uncomfortable with her suggestion but for me, that is beyond the point.
I have a principled opposition to traditions that set people back or attempt to divide the society into "haves and have nots". How can the average person earning about 80 thousand naira a month afford this huge expense.

I am not completely against bride price, but it should be reasonable and not cause the new couple undue distress.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by Monicaa: 11:34pm On Dec 30, 2008
idiopathic:

The high cost of wedding in Ibo culture is a leading cause of many men waiting till their late 30's and even early 40's before tying the knot. These "old men" will retire around the age of 60 when their first child will be in their 20's, probably in University with it's attendant expenses.
A lot of the girls are also having to wait longer which doesn't fit in with their time limited biologic cycle.

I am about to get married to girl from Nnewi an was given 3 (three) lists for the traditional wedding:
1) List one would cost over 330 000=00 naira.
2) List two consists of the following:
(a) A bottle of wine and to enclose an unspecified amount of money in envelopes to 51 named individuals.
(b) A piece of cloth and money in envelope to 14 different individuals.
(c) Soft drinks and money in envelope to 12 different named individuals.
3) I am yet to get a list for her bride price and cost of feeding the expected guests.

This is just for the traditional wedding and i am yet to add the cost of the court and church wedding.

A conservative estimate will be over 1.5 million naira.

Is it wise living in penury for years after a marriage ceremony?
I am not against tradition, but it should not be rigid and should be modified in parallel with the prevailing economic climate.

Wow! shocked I'm form Nnewi ooo grin
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by Monicaa: 11:36pm On Dec 30, 2008
@Outlaws
U need to calm down
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by romeo(m): 10:43am On Dec 31, 2008
idiopathic:

Hello Nairalanders,
In as much as i support some of our traditional practices, we need not allow it rule our lives and it should be modified in accordance with the changing times.
For example, in the course of our collective history, we have had some practices that have been stopped e.g.
1) Polygamy used to be our tradition, but now in decline.
2) Osu caste system is still practiced in several Ibo cultures. Obviously, we all know this is the worst case of apartheid.
3) Throwing away twins was once widely practiced in some areas.

The high bride price and pressure to excel in Ibo culture is one of the reasons a lot of Ibo boys take high risks in order to succeed in life. Unfortunately, this has unintended consequences such as disproportionate representations of young Ibo boys in prison all over the world.

May Amadioha strike some senses into your stupid head for making that assertion. And by the way we are Igbos and not Ibos. Anuofia!!
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by Ben13: 10:57am On Dec 31, 2008
all the saints say. . . . . . . Amen!
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by sparta(f): 11:35am On Dec 31, 2008
@ outlaw

U seem a very angry person, do you have to curse and fight have body on the thread? Easy man, its just a thread not some battle field.  shocked
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by idiopathic: 2:57pm On Dec 31, 2008
Romeo,
You are not more an Igbo man than i am but you will do our people more good by stop being in denial.
Go across prisons in Asia, and the relative large number of Igbo boys in prison will depress you.

There was a recent news item about 18 Nigerians on death row in Indonesia, i was appalled that 16 of them are ndi Igbo.
We need to stem this tide by speaking up against greedy traditions that push our brothers to the edge.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by romeo(m): 4:46pm On Dec 31, 2008
Thank you for changing that "Ibo" thing with the real name "Igbo" wink

Igbo boys are not making money just for Traditional marriage, Boys needs some fun. Channel your anger towards Aso Rock and i'll give you support.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by jamace(m): 8:24pm On Dec 31, 2008
Hello House, please let's leave outlaw alone. He has gone "kolo" because of traditional marriage. My advice to him is that if does not want an[b] in-law [/b] he would remain an out-law grin.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by otokx(m): 9:00pm On Dec 31, 2008
the truth is bitter but there are other tribes that are more pocket friendly.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by romeo(m): 1:20pm On Jan 01, 2009
Like your tribe!! Marry from there and leave our girls for rich Igbo boys ready to part with worthless Naira.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by nkasi87(f): 10:22pm On Jan 01, 2009
LOL, i know i will not be doing a traditional Nigerian wedding. I am a woman and i know that i will not be asking my husband to be to pay for anything. I am marrying him because i want to not so that my family will make money off him.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by outlaws(m): 8:54am On Jan 02, 2009
cool

Let those idiotic traditionalist who brag about having money who have been brain washed by their village elders go ahead with the traditional wedding. While those who use their head and make right choices without having some one make choices for them opt out. After all there are two types of people in this world. Those that make choices for themselves and those that let others make choices for them. Which one are you?

I wonder why people don't brag about how much they bought their wife from their elders. Maybe they are feeling quilty in engaging in such a rediculous act. It seems like is those hopeless greedy poor gold digging elders are the ones people are associating with to make decisions for them.

People should be able to freely marry a lady and give her family what ever he feels like not buy her at the auction held by the village elders. So on the auction contract, is there a place were it states full refund quaranteed if the lady happens to be a bitch? I don't think so.

There are some dumb people in this forum who thinks that this is about having money. This isn't about money. Is about common sense. I know this family
here in Portland. Back home their family[Their dads side]caused them or something. So they actually didn't go home during christmas or any hollidays. They lived in the town and visited their moms place. The man have I think about three or more daughters right now that are at a marrying age. So all this bitch posters here in this forum who are brain washed to go along with what ever tradition the dumb village elders have set up. Where are this ladies suppose to have their traditional wedding if they chose an Ibo[Not Igbo] man? Certainly not at her moms place. I heared that there have been men who came to marry one of these ladies and because they believe in bullshit tradition, they went to her dads place to inquire about things. They learned that they are not welcomed at her dads place. So this dumb nigger got to backout of marriage just because they can't do traditional wedding. So does that mean all the ladies should stay single? Bullshit. What if I fall for one of these ladies. I will tell her is not good that her dads family hate them all. But as far as I am concerned Zap. your elders and they can go to hell. Who are they to cause a family from visiting their fathers land. Some times I feel sad for these ladies. This is serious, is not a joke.

You see anything that make sense, look at it any how it will still make sense. While bullshit things will always be bullshit untill is fixed or even eliminated entirely.

Also I read somewhere on this thread, some one stated that Ibo guys commit a lot of crimes. I totally agree with that. Imo state have more ritualist than any state in Nigeria unless you can prove other wise. Any one remember Otokoto era? If you don't there was this man named Chief Vincent Duru known as Otokoto [yahoo it up you will find more info.] who had a son named Obicheozo. The man had a restaurant in Orlu road. He is Ibo ofcurs, he kills his customers and sell their body parts and then burry their body at the back of the restaurant. You could be eating their paper soap and be eating somebody's body all along. That's why I don't like eating meat at public places, you really don't know what you are eating unless is chicken or something like that. One day, it was discovered. There was riot all over the city. A lot of ritualist houses were borned down. His son, there are women[stupid ones]all over him, he cruises on the road with fleet of luxury cars. Eventually this man, his son, and other ritualist that took part in the killings were killed. Most of them by hanging. If you think I am making this up read some of the story here. [ http://www.thisdayonline.com/archive/2003/01/21/20030121fea01.html ] or [ http://magazine.biafranigeriaworld.com/aehirim/2003jul12.html]

For those people cursing others for say the truth. Mine is back to send. You curse it goes back into your family. I even think that if you combine all the ritualist in Nigeria all put together. Ibo ritualist still out number them. Why because their tradition wants them to be rich to be able to perform stupid things like traditional wedding. Even in Ibo land any man that doesn't build up a house is considered a failure. Who said you have to have a house to be a man? These things pushes Ibo guys to crime. They can't really get into federal positions because the Hausa and Yorubas have taken over the ownership of Nigeria but that would be a different thread.

Nigeria is a sad place and will continue to be.
Re: Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit by meexteriox(m): 10:13am On Jan 02, 2009
@outlaws
An unexamined life is not worth living.
What you are, speak so loudly that i cannot hear what you say.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Anyone Here That Doesn't Want To Get Married? / Elepaq Constant Or Sumec Firman 4.5kva / Can You Marry A Lady That Has Cohabited With Another Man?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.