Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari (40414 Views)

Wars, Coups, Counter-coups Dominated My Time As Military Officer – Buhari / No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage / Buhari On BBC Interview:"I Will Ban The Press If They Embarass A Public Officer" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by 1oracle(m): 9:21am On Feb 01, 2015
nationwide1:
No one who is well vested in balanced history of Nigeria and believe in democracy will support Buhari unless for selfish reasons.

If embarrassing a public officer is his reason for descending heavily on the press, then GEJ would have banned Nairaland and many other media outfits.

God bless GEJ for his tolerance.
God bless Nairaland forum.
God bless Nigeria [size=14pt]BIAFRA[/size].
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cool cool cool cool

8 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by sylve11: 9:23am On Feb 01, 2015
ausdy:

Don't worry my friend. We re real people who visits nairaland either to read news or to post/contribute to important issues. So... relax those paid to give 744likes for any pro APC tread/post re on their way.
We love GEJ and we don't make noise about it. So... just wait for your likes. Thanx.

Nice one there my brother. cool

11 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by taharqa: 9:50am On Feb 01, 2015
I have meticulously read all the comments here to see those of barcanista, Omenka, obiagelli, egift, Berem, etc, but to no avail.

Maybe if the thread can be pushed to the Fp, they will comment.

PS: What makes this interview really chilling is that look on the face of Buhari- such disgust and disdain expressed for the freedom of the press- for anything he hasn't approved personally. And to think that this interview was not done in 1983, but RECENTLY !!!

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by bgates: 10:02am On Feb 01, 2015
moderators

why is this topic not yet on front page...

sad...

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 01, 2015
I don't know why people are misrepresenting and twisting the words of Gen Muhammadu Buhari. As a citizen I am 100% in support of Press freedom, so is the General. However, freedom of the Press shouldn't be absolute otherwise they will be used to cause anarchy. If the press have anything against any public officer and they are really sure about it, they should publish it and allow for Government prosecution. They have to be sure and not gossip or be used to persecute officers on the pages of newspapers. However, false reportage using "our source" that will neither give a lead nor help a cause, and also fabricating news and ascribing to public officers should not only be discouraged but should be criminalised. The Whistle Blower act should be passed/strenghtened to protect those with valuable information. The Press needs to carry their jobs with ethics and checks like other professions. All arms of government have forms of checks and balance. We need to protect government officers too from false and malicious embarrassment.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by elantraceey(f): 10:07am On Feb 01, 2015
Barcarnista please don't be quiet sad

3 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by GODDYGEE91(m): 10:12am On Feb 01, 2015
Buhari's candidacy is an insult on Nigerians especially de educated elites.

Electing an illiterate 2 govern in dis 21st century is a big slap on faces of Nigerians.

Change is constant in all human endeavours but Buhari is'nt de right change we r seeking.
The devil we knw is beta dan de angels we knw notin abt.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 01, 2015
elantraceey:
Barcarnista please don't be quiet sad
read the comment above yours ma'am..

Good morning
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by dhardline(m): 10:18am On Feb 01, 2015
Am happy the eyes of many Nigerians have been opened so as not to believe this fruad that is been imposed on us by the media.We have brains therefore we will use it to think and see beyond the charade of them trying to make a dictator look civil.

18 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Amya(f): 10:21am On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
I don't know why people are misrepresenting and twisting the words of Gen Muhammadu Buhari. As a citizen I am 100% in support of Press freedom, so is the General. However, freedom of the Press shouldn't be absolute otherwise they will be used to cause anarchy. If the press have anything against any public officer and they are really sure about it, they should publish it and allow for Government prosecution. They have to be sure and not gossip or be used to persecute officers on the pages of newspapers. However, false reportage using "our source" that will neither give a lead nor help a cause, and also fabricating news and ascribing to public officers should not only be discouraged but should be criminalised. The Whistle Blower act should be passed/strenghtened to protect those with valuable information. The Press needs to carry their jobs with ethics and checks like other professions. All arms of government have forms of checks and balance. We need to protect government officers too from false and malicious embarrassment.

Please don't speak from both sides of your mouth. One of the core tenets of democracy is freedom of speech extended to the media. If a leader cannot handle criticism from the media, then he's not yet ready for democracy.

The truth about life, democracy, good governance etc is you'll never know what you have until you lose it.

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by anonimi: 10:21am On Feb 01, 2015
GBTYO:
FASCISM

All this big grammar dogo turenchi that you are blowing on NL if the daft & dumb old pensioner wins on the 14th e nor go easy for anybody oh!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2026914_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by DaBullIT(m): 10:24am On Feb 01, 2015
nationwide1:
No one who is well vested in balanced history of Nigeria and believe in democracy will support Buhari unless for selfish reasons.

If embarrassing a public officer is his reason for descending heavily on the press, then GEJ would have banned Nairaland and many other media outfits.

God bless GEJ for his tolerance.
God bless Nairaland forum.
God bless Nigeria.

Will support Buhari , that's for sure

But GEJ can not ban Nairaland because its a forum, and millions of people are the ones writing the comments

However the stunt AIT pulled,is a warrant for closure an open invitation banning that god damned Propaganda station

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 01, 2015
My Dear, we have freedom of speech but it's not absolute. Your freedom of speech doesn't permit you to slander, incite, nor say things that are capable of leading to breakddown of law and order. Journalism as a profession is a noble one, it should be encouraged at all times and not be intimidated. However, Professionals in the field have the responsibility of ethical practice and abstainance from malicious, slanderous/libelous reportage. Just this morning, I read a thread from one journalist that alleged that General Minimah will install Interim Government should Buhari win. Though I'm not a fan of Jonathan, I rejected the report, and personally, I will want the journalist to be arrested and asked to explain to the DSS and the Police. We can't continue to allow journalistic impunity and still expect to develop as a nation. Whoever is sure of the truthfulness of his news should publish it and be ready to assist the government when called, otherwise, he should keep shut or face the law. My Dear, it's not about Buhari, it's about sanity.
Amya:

Please don't speak from both sides of your mouth. One of the core tenets of democracy is freedom of speech extended to the media. If a leader cannot handle criticism from the media, then he's not yet ready for democracy.

The truth about life, democracy, good governance etc is you'll never know what you have until you lose it.

3 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 10:57am On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
My Dear, we have freedom of speech but it's not absolute. Your freedom of speech doesn't permit you to slander, incite, nor say things that are capable of leading to breakddown of law and order. Journalism as a profession is a noble one, it should be encouraged at all times and not be intimidated. However, Professionals in the field have the responsibility of ethical practice and abstainance from malicious, slanderous/libelous reportage. Just this morning, I read a thread from one journalist that alleged that General Minimah will install Interim Government should Buhari win. Though I'm not a fan of Jonathan, I rejected the report, and personally, I will want the journalist to be arrested and asked to explain to the DSS and the Police. We can't continue to allow journalistic impunity and still expect to develop as a nation. Whoever is sure of the truthfulness of his news should publish it and be ready to assist the government when called, otherwise, he should keep shut or face the law. My Dear, it's not about Buhari, it's about sanity.
We know the press can sometimes overstep its bounds but the best way to handle such isn't outright ban but like you said arresting the journalist in question and arraigning him before a court of law. What Buhari said he's going to do is outright ban which he doesn't have the power to do in a democracy.

You don't ban a journalist for publishing what you feel is embarrassing to you, it's the duty of the court to determine what constitute 'embarrassing report'. While we condemn any attempt by anyone to use the press to torment trouble we must also rise against any attempt to undermine press freedom.

Buhari needs to be given democratic education, he needs to be educated on the principles and values f democracy. It's obvious he knows nothing about democracy, there are certain elements that sustain democracy one of which is press freedom and that you can't take away otherwise we slide into Myanmar, Turkmenistan kind of anarchy and dictatorship.

33 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Amya(f): 11:07am On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:

Defamation either through slander or libel is a tort, not a crime. When you have some strong proof that someone wrote a libelous publication about you, you can sue for damages. You can not arrest, detain or lock someone up for defamation or Ban a media outfit. It's a completely civil matter that ends in retraction or damages.

Now for people in the public eye, it harder to sue successfully for defamation unless that they have ironclad proof that the publication was written maliciously, then the case might end in their favour. Public figures voluntarily place themselves in a position that invites close scrutiny, whereas private citizens who have not entered public life do not relinquish their interest in protecting their reputation. So it's easier for a private citizen to win a lawsuit on defamation.

Again, so you know, you can not arrest someone for defamation, rather you bring a lawsuit which can only end in damages and retraction, not ban or jail. That's one of the beauties of democracy. Buhari goofed on that one.

The rule of law deeply entrenched in our constitution is what holds supreme in this day and age. Thank you.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by kelvinginzie: 11:17am On Feb 01, 2015
VOTE WISELY MY PEOPLE.
Saibaba

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by asadike(f): 11:21am On Feb 01, 2015
Buhari has done it before and he will do it again. I fear for nairaland. Vote for buhari at your own peril.

10 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 01, 2015
Amya:

Defamation either through slander or libel is a tort, not a crime. When you have some strong proof that someone wrote a libelous publication about you, you can sue for damages. You can not arrest, detain or lock someone up for defamation or Ban a media outfit. It's a completely civil matter that ends in retraction or damages.
Now for people in the public eye, it harder to sue successfully for defamation unless that they have ironclad proof that the publication was written maliciously, then the case might end in their favour. Public figures voluntarily place themselves in a position that invites close scrutiny, whereas private citizens who have not entered public life do not relinquish their interest in protecting their reputation. So it's easier for a private citizen to win a lawsuit on defamation.
Again, so you know, you can not arrest someone for defamation, rather you bring a lawsuit which can only end in damages and retraction, not ban or jail. That's one of the beauties of democracy. Buhari goofed on that one.
The rule of law deeply entrenched in our constitution is what holds supreme in this day and age. Thank you.
We have to be sincere with ourselves. You don't expect a public official to sue journalists and media houses and demand damages. What kind of message does that send to the public? Whatever is written of a public officer maliciously is beyond defamation because it is capable of not just tarnishing the image of the subject but could disrupt the smooth running of the government and create an environment of anarchy, which in itself is a crime. I gave you example of the thread on minimah, that article could cause unrest, distrust in the Army and also could make people lose faith in the electoral process. A public officer is not just a private citizen. Where have you seen a public officer sue for damages? It doesn't happen that way! If the journalist and the medium decide to retract the earlier misinformation, it is welcomed. They just need to be ethical, that's all!!!!!

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 01, 2015
kelvinginzie:
@Barcanista,judging from your very weak defence of Pa buhari,you are supppsed to be in kirikiri prison,for all the insults,and slanders,you have made against GEJ.
Since freedom of speech is a distraction to government-Pa BUHARI

VOTE WISELY MY PEOPLE.
Since when does insults translate to libel? As for slander/libel I have NEVER done that against any officer of the government. I am very careful when choosing my words. I wouldn't want to offend the law
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by agabaI23(m): 11:37am On Feb 01, 2015
Lalasticalala, lalastica, ishilove, Seun, front page please

That was not long ago. It was not said in 1984.
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Bawss1(m): 11:39am On Feb 01, 2015
So Barcanista are you saying like Buhari that the press should be banned or stifled when they overstep their bounds?

7 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 01, 2015
front page seun.
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 11:42am On Feb 01, 2015
Bro, the General is not against press freedom
APContherun:

We know the press can sometimes overstep its bounds but the best way to handle such isn't outright ban but like you said arresting the journalist in question and arraigning him before a court of law. What Buhari said he's going to do is outright ban which he doesn't have the power to do in a democracy.

You don't ban a journalist for publishing what you feel is embarrassing to you, it's the duty of the court to determine what constitute 'embarrassing report'. While we condemn any attempt by anyone to use the press to torment trouble we must also rise against any attempt to undermine press freedom.

Buhari needs to be given democratic education, he needs to be educated on the principles and values f democracy. It's obvious he knows nothing about democracy, there are certain elements that sustain democracy one of which is press freedom and that you can't take away otherwise we slide into Myanmar, Turkmenistan kind of anarchy and dictatorship.
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by M17: 11:44am On Feb 01, 2015
rozayx5:
mods i will keep pushing this thread to first position on politics section till it makes frontpage angry

1 ,000 000 .

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Amya(f): 11:44am On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
We have to be sincere with ourselves. You don't expect a public official to sue journalists and media houses and demand damages. What kind of message does that send to the public? Whatever is written of a public officer maliciously is beyond defamation because it is capable of not just tarnishing the image of the subject but could disrupt the smooth running of the government and create an environment of anarchy, which in itself is a crime. I gave you example of the thread on minimah, that article could cause unrest, distrust in the Army and also could make people lose faith in the electoral process. A public officer is not just a private citizen. Where have you seen a public officer sue for damages? It doesn't happen that way! If the journalist and the medium decide to retract the earlier misinformation, it is welcomed. They just need to be ethical, that's all!!!!!

Everywhere in the world, public officers sue media houses for defamation everyday. But as I said earlier, it's harder for a public officer to prove it. So most times, you don't bother on a frivolous lawsuit but just grin and bear it. Jonathan has been slandered and libelled a million times, how many people has he taken to court? how many Media houses has he banned? Having a thick skin is one of mark of a leader. Obama has been defamed, how many media houses has he closed down or banned?

The truth is while democracy like all things in life has a down side (like taking the freedom of speech to a whole new level, what we witness online and offline everyday) In the end, it's the lesser evil to dictatorship. You simply cannot be a dictator in a democracy, that's like eating your cake and having it.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by awodman: 11:46am On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:

If we are hard of hearing (like you accuse us) how about the BBC guy who was so stunned that he screamed "That's a terrible excuse to stifle press freedom" ?

8 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 11:46am On Feb 01, 2015
Bawss1:
So Barcanista are you saying like Buhari that the press should be banned or stifled when they overstep their bounds?
the General never meant "ban" literarily, he actually mean the law will take it cause. It is not about stiffling, its about bringing offenders of the law to book. If they publish malicious article, they should be able to defend their publication or face the law. This to me is how societies are run. We have existing laws. Even the FOI is restrictive, some information can't be divulged to the Press or any citizen.

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by M17: 11:46am On Feb 01, 2015
Vig86:
Nigerians are blind and wicked to themselves. Vote Buhari and suffer. He will ban tweeter, facebook, whatsApp then we all go back to 1960s. Wicked people.

HE WOULD BANNED NOLLYWOOD INDUSTRY . SHARIA BLOOD FOR YOU .

5 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Amya(f): 11:49am On Feb 01, 2015
APContherun:

You can't arrest or arraign in a tort/civil matter. When your rights have been breached you just sue.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by M17: 11:51am On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:

YOU ARE ...ISM FANATIC .IDIOT .KEEP MASKING YOUR FACE . SPEAK FROM YOUR ANYUS .slowpoke .

WE ARE WAY AHEAD OF YOUR INTELLIGENT . CHAMELEON .

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 11:53am On Feb 01, 2015
Mods, seun and Co. are quick to move any thread that defends Buhari to FP, even those clearly written by Buhari goons on NL, but this won't make it obviously.

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
Bro, the General is not against press freedom
When you ban a media outfit for publishing what you consider embarrassing without recourse to the rule of law, that's an attack on press freedom. I'm surprised with all your sophistication you support this. Who is even a public official that he can't be embarrassed if he's deserving?

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Obi’s Names On NYSC, UNN Certificates Are Different - Arabambi (Apapa Faction) / Photos: Senators Chris Ngige, Ararume Visit To Congratulate Rochas / We Call For The Immediate Arrest Of Alhaji Buba Galadima As Pdp And Atiku's Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.