Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari (40401 Views)

Wars, Coups, Counter-coups Dominated My Time As Military Officer – Buhari / No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage / Buhari On BBC Interview:"I Will Ban The Press If They Embarass A Public Officer" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Amya(f): 11:56am On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
the General's never meant "ban" literarily, he actyally mean the law will take it cause. It is not about stiffling, its about bringing offenders of the law to book. If they publish malicious article, they should be able to defend their publication or face the law. This to me is how societies are run. We have existing laws. Even the FOI is restrictive, some information can't be divulged to the Press or any citizen.

Please rather spend time swimming nowhere in ignorance, kindly peruse the laws of Nigeria and the constitution and know what constitutes an offence, a crime or a civil action.

I'm a Jonathan supporter, but when he goofs, rather than try to cover up for him, I just keep my mouth shut. Learn to do the same.

35 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 11:58am On Feb 01, 2015
Amya:

You can't arrest or arraign in a tort/civil matter. When your rights have been breached you just sue.
Yeaa you are right bro, my apologies.
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:01pm On Feb 01, 2015
Amya:

Everywhere in the world, public officers sue media houses for defamation everyday. But as I said earlier, it's harder for a public officer to prove it. So most times, you don't bother on a frivolous lawsuit but just grin and bear it. Jonathan has been slandered and libelled a million times, how many people has he taken to court? how many Media houses has he banned? Having a thick skin is one of mark of a leader. Obama has been defamed, how many media houses has he closed down or banned?

The truth is while democracy like all things in life has a down side (like taking the freedom of speech to a whole new level, what we witness online and offline everyday) In the end, it's the lesser evil to dictatorship. You simply cannot be a dictator in a democracy, that's like eating your cake and having it.
We have existing laws, we sure do. President Buhari will not manufacture laws from the mars nor use executive fiat. You should be more concerned with ethical journalism and the provisions of relevant laws rather than this position you are holding. In every profession there is code of conduct, in journalism we have BON, we have Press Council these two bodies regulate the practice of Journalism as established by the law. We also have Private Associations, all these groups are against unethical practice. See, I will never side illegality, we should be sincere and not emotional. Where were you when Jonathan banned Aljazeera from Nigeria? Where were you when Israel banned PressTV? Where were you when Uk suspended PressTV? Where were you? You have to be sincere. Journalist must be ethical or be made to face the law. No one stop them from doing their jobs, they must do so ethically.

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by jorlons(m): 12:02pm On Feb 01, 2015
Absolute freedom of speech when unchecked can be a problem to a country. Like barcanista rightly said the General never meant banning or closing down media enterprises. Freedom of speech when abused to such an extent that it does more harm than good should attract some form of penalty. We can't afford to turn a blind eye on lazy journalism on the part of some news media. If you're absolutely sure of your source nobody not even buhari will infringe on your right to freedom of speech.

Buhari can't share his views again because of awaiting critics. Lets not argue too much cause no matter what you say I'll still vote GMB and no matter what I say you'll still vote GEJ but let's all pray that whoever wins, Nigeria will be better for it.

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
We have to be sincere with ourselves. You don't expect a public official to sue journalists and media houses and demand damages. What kind of message does that send to the public? Whatever is written of a public officer maliciously is beyond defamation because it is capable of not just tarnishing the image of the subject but could disrupt the smooth running of the government and create an environment of anarchy, which in itself is a crime. I gave you example of the thread on minimah, that article could cause unrest, distrust in the Army and also could make people lose faith in the electoral process. A public officer is not just a private citizen. Where have you seen a public officer sue for damages? It doesn't happen that way! If the journalist and the medium decide to retract the earlier misinformation, it is welcomed. They just need to be ethical, that's all!!!!!

Narrow miss, thought you would defend this statement.

If you did, this thread would mark the demise of your moniker

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Bawss1(m): 12:05pm On Feb 01, 2015
When issues that point to the dictatorial tendencies of Buhari are brought up his defenders say that we are in a democracy, that he cannot do any of these things. While that is true to a certain extent we should also recall that in Russia, where they supposedly now practise democracy, Putin has carried out similar oppressive acts. The Russian press today cannot offer criticism to the government without attracting a punitive response. It goes to show that even in a democracy once the leaders don't subscribe to the proper tenets of the democratic system, that democracy can be reduced to a quasi dictatorship where the oppressiveness and restrictions abound albeit beneath the surface.

12 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:09pm On Feb 01, 2015
Amya:

Please rather spend time swimming nowhere in ignorance, kindly peruse the laws of Nigeria and the constitution and know what constitutes an offence, a crime or a civil action.

I'm a Jonathan supporter, but when he goofs, rather than try to cover up for him, I just keep my mouth shut. Learn to do the same.
My Dear, you are the one swimming in Ignorance. Why did Egypt arrest Aljazeera Journalists? Why not publish false material against the Israeli Government or PM? Why not do that in the Emirate or KSA? Are we more democratic than Israel? There are publications you will make in the US, you will be invited for questioning. We have to be sincere. A government officer is different from just a private citizen. False report against officials is capable of causing panic, anarchy and even unrest. What lead to the breakdown of law and order in Gabon of recent? A report that the President is from Nigeria made people to come out to demand the fall of that government. Stop being emotional plsssssss
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by ifyalways(f): 12:10pm On Feb 01, 2015
Who is surprised

A leopard doesnt change its spots. Hes a dictator,will always be.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by MizMyColi(f): 12:11pm On Feb 01, 2015
kelvinginzie:
@Barcanista,judging from your very weak defence of Pa buhari,you are supppsed to be in kirikiri prison,for all the insults,and slanders,you have made against GEJ.
Since freedom of speech is a distraction to government-Pa BUHARI

VOTE WISELY MY PEOPLE.

Okay.
You just spewed my thoughts.

Ditto.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:15pm On Feb 01, 2015
APContherun:

When you ban a media outfit for publishing what you consider embarrassing without recourse to the rule of law, that's an attack on press freedom. I'm surprised with all your sophistication you support this. Who is even a public official that he can't be embarrassed if he's deserving?
point of correction, Not what "he considers embarrassin" but what is actually false and embarrassing, and with recourse to the provisions of the law. I don't support gagging of the press, I support ethical journalism
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Bawss1(m): 12:16pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
My Dear, you are the one swimming in Ignorance. Why did Egypt arrest Aljazeera Journalists? Why not publish false material against the Israeli Government or PM? Why not do that in the Emirate or KSA? Are we more democratic than Israel? There are publications you will make in the US, you will be invited for questioning. We have to be sincere. A government officer is different from just a private citizen. False report against officials is capable of causing panic, anarchy and even unrest. What lead to the breakdown of law and order in Gabon of recent? A report that the President is from Nigeria made people to come out to demand the fall of that government. Stop being emotional plsssssss

What are you really saying? So we should follow these nations even in their missteps? There will always be troublemakers in the press but any government that is sincerely committed to democracy and is busy with the provision of good governance will not have the time to go about banning and curtailing press freedom.

8 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Amya(f): 12:19pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:

I'm not being emotional. All the countries you named have their own rule of law. For some, defamation is more or less like treason. But study your own laws and find out yourself if defamation can amount to ban of media houses . Or are you advising Buhari to go against the law?

23 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by anonimi: 12:20pm On Feb 01, 2015
Amya:

That is not possible with the mumu inhabitants of BuhariSTAN. Their CCBS affliction will not allow them behave reasonably.

Quite sad really!!!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
point of correction, Not what "he considers embarrassin" but what is actually false and embarrassing, and with recourse to the provisions of the law. I don't support gagging of the press, I support ethical journalism
And who determines what's actually false and embarrassing the individual embarrassed or the court? When you feel or have evidence that you have been maligned you approach the court whose responsibility it's to determine whether your evidence is strong enough to earn you damages. You don't ban the outfit because you are a public official.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by anonimi: 12:26pm On Feb 01, 2015
Amya:
I'm not being emotional. All the countries you named have their own rule of law. For some, defamation is more or less like treason. But study your own laws and find out yourself if defamation can amount to ban of media houses . Or are you advising Buhari to go against the law?

The old soldier does not need anyone's advice to be a LAWLESS do-as-I-say dictator again.

That is what he was in 1983-1985.

That is how he remains as evidenced in the HardTalk interview.

Unfortunately that reminds me of Adolf Hitler shocked

11 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by mikolo80: 12:31pm On Feb 01, 2015
APContherun:

The pig of a dictator doesn't know that press freedom is an essential element of democracy. It's very necessary for the sustenance of democracy. Aside competing strong political parties, periodic else took and independent judiciary it's propably the most essential. A strong and unhindered press keeps the govt on its toes and ensures it's doesn't descend into dictatorship.

Buhari needs to know that democracy has survived in the US, UK, France, Germany etc not just because old generals were called out to save the country in times of trouble but because the press was allowed and encouraged to flourish.
France UK and USa developed over 400years with press freedom(plenty grammar) while china Korea Singapore and Malaysia(limited press) did same in 30. Your choice

ps he only said they must have proof not just allegations with no evidence only for them to recant in one small corner of their papers after damaging the public officials image and integrity with rumours and names withheld nonsense journalism
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:31pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
We have existing laws, we sure do. President Buhari will not manufacture laws from the mars nor use executive fiat. You should be more concerned with ethical journalism and the provisions of relevant laws rather than this position you are holding. In every profession there is code of conduct, in journalism we have BON, we have Press Council these two bodies regulate the practice of Journalism as established by the law. We also have Private Associations, all these groups are against unethical practice. See, I will never side illegality, we should be sincere and not emotional. Where were you when Jonathan banned Aljazeera from Nigeria? Where were you when Israel banned PressTV? Where were you when Uk suspended PressTV? Where were you? You have to be sincere. Journalist must be ethical or be made to face the law. No one stop them from doing their jobs, they must do so ethically.

There's what is called national interest which must be protected at all cost. I'm disappointed you can't differentiate that from "an embarrassment to a public official". No nation can allow its interest to be undermined and that's what led Nigeria into banning al-jazeera, UK and Israel to Press TV.

But an embarrassment to a public official? Cmon mehn why should Buhari ban me for what he considers embarrassing when he should sue me for defamation and claim damages?

4 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by agabaI23(m): 12:33pm On Feb 01, 2015
Amya:

I have been telling them this. How can you stare the truth in the face and decide to twist it in the name of defending someone.

If Jonathan goofs, I keep quiet. No point! It is the height of insincerity to to try to defend something indefensible.

11 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by taharqa: 12:33pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
I don't know why people are misrepresenting and twisting the words of Gen Muhammadu Buhari. As a citizen I am 100% in support of Press freedom, so is the General. However, freedom of the Press shouldn't be absolute otherwise they will be used to cause anarchy. If the press have anything against any public officer and they are really sure about it, they should publish it and allow for Government prosecution. They have to be sure and not gossip or be used to persecute officers on the pages of newspapers. However, false reportage using "our source" that will neither give a lead nor help a cause, and also fabricating news and ascribing to public officers should not only be discouraged but should be criminalised. The Whistle Blower act should be passed/strenghtened to protect those with valuable information. The Press needs to carry their jobs with ethics and checks like other professions. All arms of government have forms of checks and balance. We need to protect government officers too from false and malicious embarrassment.

Lol cheesy

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by mikolo80: 12:33pm On Feb 01, 2015
Obinoscopy:
I sincerely hope freedom of the press and the social media will not be removed if Buhari wins.
By simple majority in national assembly with presidential assent or two thirds majority
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by lyntiffany(f): 12:35pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
I don't know why people are misrepresenting and twisting the words of Gen Muhammadu Buhari. As a citizen I am 100% in support of Press freedom, so is the General. However, freedom of the Press shouldn't be absolute otherwise they will be used to cause anarchy. If the press have anything against any public officer and they are really sure about it, they should publish it and allow for Government prosecution. They have to be sure and not gossip or be used to persecute officers on the pages of newspapers. However, false reportage using "our source" that will neither give a lead nor help a cause, and also fabricating news and ascribing to public officers should not only be discouraged but should be criminalised. The Whistle Blower act should be passed/strenghtened to protect those with valuable information. The Press needs to carry their jobs with ethics and checks like other professions. All arms of government have forms of checks and balance. We need to protect government officers too from false and malicious embarrassment.
Look at who is talking, just like you have been displaying the ethics on nairaland.Like Buhari, like supporter

9 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Truckpusher(m): 12:35pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
Always around to defend the indefensible,how much did they pay you to kill your conscience ?

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 01, 2015
We have our own laws here too. Muhammadu Buhari as President will not manufacture any law, he will work with existing laws. Like I said earlier, false report against government is beyond defamation. Why not promote ethical journalism instead just like it is obtained in most developed countries?
Amya:

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by mikolo80: 12:37pm On Feb 01, 2015
customized13:
I simply don't understand why we will endorse this extremist.
Are you happy the way the country is being run. 70% poverty-stricken and yet you woods why the masses support a non looter over a looter who bought 86 cars for his daughters weddin. With their money. Hope he does up in jail
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by mikolo80: 12:39pm On Feb 01, 2015
Vig86:
Nigerians are blind and wicked to themselves. Vote Buhari and suffer. He will ban tweeter, facebook, whatsApp then we all go back to 1960s. Wicked people.
See ignorance. Even china cant ban internet is it incompetent civil servants that will

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:39pm On Feb 01, 2015
mikolo80:
France UK and USa developed over 400years with press freedom(plenty grammar) while china Korea Singapore and Malaysia(limited press) did same in 30. Your choice

ps he only said they must have proof not just allegations with no evidence only for them to recant in one small corner of their papers after damaging the public officials image and integrity with rumours and names withheld nonsense journalism
Does the govt in a democracy have the right to ban a journalist/ media outfit for lying against a public official without recourse to the court? No. That's where Buhari got it wrong. It doesn't matter if you feel the media outfit doesn't have enough proof for its claim, what matters most is how you react to it afterwards. And banning is not the way to go in a democracy run on laws.

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by mikolo80: 12:44pm On Feb 01, 2015
APContherun:

Does the govt in a democracy have the right to ban a journalist/ media outfit for lying against a public official without recourse to the court? No. That's where Buhari got it wrong. It doesn't matter if you feel the media outfit doesn't have enough proof for its claim, what matters most is how you react to it afterwards. And banning is not the way to go in a democracy run on laws.
In a military gov the commanders word is law.same with patriot act in almighty usa where cia or dhs can make you disappear
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 01, 2015
APContherun:

There's what is called national interest which must be protected at all cost. I'm disappointed you can't differentiate that from "an embarrassment to a public official". No nation can allow its interest to be undermined and that's what led Nigeria into banning al-jazeera, UK and Israel to Press TV.

But an embarrassment to a public official? Cmon mehn why should Buhari ban me for what he considers embarrassing when he should sue me for defamation and claim damages?
Bro, what are you talking na? Did Aljazeera Staffs publish material against Egypt or against Field Marshall Sisi? Did aljazeera promote materials against Nigeria or against the way the army is treated? Bro haba why...

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 01, 2015
Amya:

You can't arrest or arraign in a tort/civil matter. When your rights have been breached you just sue.
You must be a lawyer or law student. You've raised some salient points, but there are situations where press freedom is limited. For instance, it's a crime to publish leaked, classified info in the US. The US government can prosecute anyone found to have leaked classified national security info.

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Kingspin(m): 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2015
Buhari is a chameleon.

3 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2015
I have not published any false article on Nairaland against the government. I am very careful not to offend the law!
lyntiffany:
Look at who is talking, just like you have been displaying the ethics on nairaland.Like Buhari, like supporter

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 01, 2015
CFCfan:

You must be a lawyer or law student. You've raised some salient points, but there are situations where press freedom is limited. For instance, it's a crime to publish leaked, classified info in the US. The US government can prosecute anyone found to have leaked classified national security info.
Amya is only emotional and probably partisan.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Throwback Photos Of Professor Wole Soyinka As He Celebrates His 85th Birthday / Tambuwal Commissions Rumalogu-Alakahia Road Wike Built (Pics) / People's Reactions As Buhari Receives His WAEC Certificate (Memes)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.