Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? (48613 Views)

Top HND Holders In Nigeria / Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 12:46pm On Oct 14, 2006
But truely me sef no understand the guy grammer.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ono(m): 1:46pm On Oct 16, 2006
@ Ishmael,
Man, you're doing a great job in here. I've read several of your posts on this matter. No doubt our Poly grads really should not be looked down upon.

We've got to re-orientate our people (society) about the evils this discrimination against HND graduates portends for the future of this country - and I believe yourself and HND-Holder have done pretty well to convince so many people on this board about this. Well done.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 3:00pm On Oct 16, 2006
Thank u,
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 4:17pm On Oct 16, 2006
Ono, thanx alot
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 6:24pm On Oct 16, 2006
[b]@Hnd-holder
I want you to help us ask Dr Nuru Yakubu the rationale behind employing Bsc holders as lecturers in polytechnics and HND holder as instructors. Secondly, some polytechnics advertise vacancies for non-academic positions like accountants, bursars, engineers, planning officers etc, and in the advert they put Degree from a recognised university and no HND from a recognised polytechnic is ever put. Why should polytechnics that should be the 1st place where HND holders should be employed give preference to university graduates?? Thirdly, most of the lecturers in the polytechnics, about 95% of them are university graduates and only 5% of them are polytechnic graduates or passed through poly at one time or the other. If really the polytechnic is an institution where students acquire technical skills and knowledge, who do you think should be the best people to teach the polytechnic students the technical skills and knowledge that they desire or need?? Because from experience it is only a person that can do a job practically that will be able to teach another person the same job practically; so i wonder why university graduates in engineering and sciences are preferred to polytechnic graduates in engineering and sciences in the area of teaching in the polytechnics. Lastly find out from Dr Nuru Yakubu himself if he too actually passed through the polytechnic system?? Because i can smell some kind of politics going on in the polytechnics and NBTE; most of them are university graduates so we should not expect them to make things work for poly graduates. Please HND-holder help us find out from Dr Nuru Yakubu why things are like that. [/b]
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 7:57am On Oct 17, 2006
Because you and I pass through the polytechnic that is why we knew the value. Some people think is just a Technical college. Not untill we can educate more people. Nuru yakubu was a lecturer and later rector of Kaduna polytechnic. He took over from those people who knew nothing about polytechnic
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 10:23am On Oct 17, 2006
I'm not satisfied with your answer. You are a Phd holder today, and you actually started from the polytechnic where you obtained your HND b4 proceeding to do a PGD and Msc, and later Phd; you know the polytechnic system very well because you were once a student there. Did Nuru Yakubu at anytime in his life obtain HND from any polytechnic in Nigeria b4 getting his Msc and Phd?? There is politics going on in NBTE and polytechnics in nigeria; most of the heads of polytechnics and lecturers are pure university graduates who know nothing about technical education and technology but yet are allowed to over see the affairs of colleges of technology and polytechnics. Please i need an answer from you HND-holder because i believe you know about the[b] politics [/b] in NBTE and nigerian polytechnics in general more than most of us.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 1:00pm On Oct 17, 2006
True alot of politics is going on. At 4.00pm yesterday radio nigeria network work news this issue was raised by asup.
Dr Yakubu is trying his best He was not a polytechnic Product but He has done a lot for the polytechnic than those who were in the polytechnic at one time or the other.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 1:51pm On Oct 17, 2006
Ok i understand you now. Let him continue fighting for polytechnics and HND holders, at least he knows the truth.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by zebra(m): 2:21pm On Oct 17, 2006
HND-holder, recently it was agreed that polytechnics and NBTE should not transact any business with banks like GTB, Diamond, Access, Zenith, STB (now UBA) that discriminate against polytechnic HND holders. Is this crusade still going on?? Also help us find out from Dr Nuru Yakubu because some polytechnics still do very big transactions with some of these banks that enslave polytechnic HND graduates and pay them pea-nut while university Bsc graduates are being paid 4 times the HND graduate salary. I learnt there is a mega project now in Nigeria called UNESCO-NBTE (revitalization of technical and vocational education in Nigeria), and obviously there is big money to carryout this project, and an account must be opened. Hope it will not be opened in any of those banks that discriminate against HND holders?? Because right now most of these banks are already going to meet UNESCO-NBTE trying to convince them to come and open the account with them. Let the account be opened in a bank that employs HND graduates and give them the same status as Bsc holders. Banks like 1st bank, union bank, intercontinental bank and FCMB are qualified. Please follow up this for us and make sure the wrong bank does not get this right account. Thank you.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 3:18pm On Oct 17, 2006
Nov 12 last year we presented that report on banks to NBTE during NITE AGM at Engineering close. Steps were taken, left for those concerned to follow up. Our organization fights only for HND holders in Engineering, lucky enough no other HND holders organisation. Please ICAN HND as well as other organisations should come up.

NBTE Directive still holds on banks
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by yomivirgo(m): 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2006
Thanks Bros,
The problem is we that are living in this country, we try to discriminate what not suppose to be, let me ask this question: Is it not the same NYSC that graduates for polytechnics and universities work with for their service year? The problem is this country, and I pray that thing get in order before it gets too late. If you hold NCE certificate, you will have an automatic enployment into teaching line. What are the hope of HND graduates?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 5:32pm On Oct 17, 2006
i saw one yeye thing today on one of the news papers 2day. Daily trust newspaper precisely that Federal government wants to convert polytechnics to university campuses so as to create enough room for people who want to acquire university education, since only few people go to the polytechnics. Do you think this government want technical education in nigeria??
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by donmayor(m): 9:48pm On Oct 17, 2006
Is it educated people that make policies in Nigeria?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:11am On Oct 18, 2006
donmayor:

Is it educated people that make policies in Nigeria?

My broda you are correct o. I wonder the kind of people that make policies in nigeria!!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by cabali(m): 1:45am On Oct 22, 2006
It is actually a shameful thing!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by freshB2: 3:27am On Oct 22, 2006
SORRY FOR INTRUDIN
SORRY ALSO FOR THE TRUTH
the truth is that your certificate isnt the problem but your state of origin.
the discrimination started from the school to university or whatever. if your from the east you pay HUGE amount of tution fee. if your from others you pay less (they say we wan encourage them to study). were they discouraged by the east? were the east at any staage on free education.

so it is now, with OND if your from the others you get managerail and directorate posts. but if your from the east with BSC, what do yu get ? NOTHING
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:27am On Oct 25, 2006
Government has shown the highest level of insensitivity to technical education by their recent plans to convert polytechnics to university campuses to enable them admit and absorb enough people into the university system. The naive reason was that nigeria has more than eough polytechnics with very few people patronizing them. Our government will surely pay for this negligence of technical education one day!!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by jaycee133(m): 12:24pm On Oct 25, 2006
donmayor,& co.who told u knowledge is in the school? it is in the individual. who told u power is in the cluches? power is in the man.u think uni graduates are more intelligent and hard workin compared to their poly contemporary,which sampled index are u using to conclude, that makes u think that the uni graduates perform better in work places than their poly counterparts.presently i hold an HND in Statistics i don,t kw wat u hold 4 now.do u think u can write or solve more problems than most of us here.these things are just names HND BSC, the issue is wat can u do,not which school u went to.wat do u know not which colour of papper u av.most of u kw how u got into the system and came out as weak as u entered. God help us. thanks ishmeal
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Mbuzo: 1:40pm On Oct 25, 2006
Hi y'all,

Its rather unfortunate. However, there is a hope. Last week the Federal Government finally released the WHITE PAPER removing the dichotomy. In essence, they have removed the bar of Level 14 placed on HNDees. Henceforth, they have equal status with Bachelors in the Public Service. Also, the National Assembly is progressing with the bill for a law to outlaw the dichotomoy. It proposes five years prison sentence for anyone who discriminates between the two in employment processes. I hope this information may be slightly soothing. Good luck
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 5:27pm On Oct 25, 2006
jaycee133:

donmayor,& co.who told u knowledge is in the school? it is in the individual. who told u power is in the cluches? power is in the man.u think uni graduates are more intelligent and hard workin compared to their poly contemporary,which sampled index are u using to conclude, that makes u think that the uni graduates perform better in work places than their poly counterparts.presently i hold an HND in Statistics i don,t kw what u hold 4 now.do u think u can write or solve more problems than most of us here.these things are just names HND BSC, the issue is what can u do,not which school u went to.what do u know not which colour of papper u av.most of u kw how u got into the system and came out as weak as u entered. God help us. thanks ishmeal

Hey, good to know that you are a STATISTICIAN too. I did HND in statistics too, my major area of interest has been in computing especially writing mathematical and statistical algorithms and programs; I'm presently working as a systems/network administrator. What we did in the polytechnics in statistics and probability a lot of guys with Bsc in statistics do not know them; get the course work for Bsc statistics in nigeria and compare it with that of the polytechnic you will see the difference; I want to appreciate the level of confidence in you, do not let any university graduate make you feel inferior, you are a superior being by making and by training. I'm also of the opinion that the individual matters most and not the school.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by donmayor(m): 5:40pm On Oct 25, 2006
Mr Jaycee,
It is a well known fact that your environment would eventually shape you. Studying in a poly or university with the wrong set of beliefs forced upon you by the educational system, ur country or those around you is enough to make u a failure. Power is in the man but what is the use of power and knowledge when not exercised?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by jaycee133(m): 5:44pm On Oct 25, 2006
@Ismael

plz send me ur email or chatting ID. so we can talk more ok

judeeziehi@yahoo.com chatting id   judeeziehi
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:16pm On Oct 31, 2006
jaycee133:

@Ismael

plz send me your email or chatting ID. so we can talk more ok

judeeziehi@yahoo.com chatting id judeeziehi

my e-mail address is : ishmaelxy@yahoo.com. Take care!!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 12:44pm On Nov 13, 2006
NANS calls for Ezekwesili‘s resignation
By Jude Owuamanam, Jos
Published: Thursday, 9 Nov 2006
The National Association of Nigerian Students has called for the resignation of the Minister of Education, Mrs. Obiageli Ezekwesili, for what it described as her poor handling of the education sector.

The group also threatened to shut down all polytechnics in the country if she failed to resign.

This was disclosed by the NANS President, Mr. Paul Yakubu, in a statement in Jos on Wednesday.

He added that the minister lacked focus and direction on how to move the sector forward.

He said that Nigerian students were totally dissatisfied with the way Ezekwesili had been running education generally and the polytechnic education in particular.

The student body lamented that since the minister assumed duties six months ago, she had not deemed it fit to sit with stakeholders in the education sector so as to appreciate first hand the problems in the sector.

Yakubu said, ”We are surprised that during the presidential forum on education, nothing was said about polytechnic education and the preferential treatment accorded university degree holders against higher national diploma holders from Polytechnics across the country.”

He said that the students were also disappointed that during the education summit in Abuja, the minister did not recognise co-heads chairmen and the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic, nor the body of polytechnic students, NAPS.

The NANS president said that the crisis in the education sector would deepen unless the minister was shown the way out.

He said, ”As part of our resolution taken against the attitude of the minister towards education across the country, we are left with no option than to call on her to resign from office immediately.

“But in the event that she fails to throw in the towel, we will call on all polytechnic students through their students union governments to shut down the polytechnic until the fate of HND holders in the so called education forum agenda in the country is addressed by the Federal Government.”
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by wills(m): 7:53am On Nov 14, 2006
They say well done, is better than well said", i think the minister will only call NANS, bluff,

NANS ,CO HEADS, POLYTECHNIC gradutes and students, should not just talk the talk, but walk the walk, Action speaks louder than many thousand well spoken words,, and lastly , this question HND Certificate: An Embarrassment?, can be yes or no depending on the individual. i rest my case, sorry my brife case grin
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by midep: 4:22pm On Nov 14, 2006
My fellow people i now strongll believe dat the FEDERAL GOVT. is the brain behind the discrimination with their new policy on changing all the federal poly. to university starting with yabatech and kad poly my question now is that wat will happen to the state poly and further is a sign that the poly is of no use to dem i believe one day GOD will save us from the palaver. cool grin
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 11:18am On Nov 15, 2006
Government are the brain behind all this discrimination between HND and Bsc. They keep decieving people that technical education is good, but they have never done anything good to show that.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 11:29am On Nov 15, 2006
How?
It is time brother for the Polytechnic to die,
The end of the POlytechnics is here.
No product of the polytechnic enjoy anything.
No ASUUP member is a direct polytechnic product let the YeYe school go, as NBTE too will be inside NUC all will be university property HND will be obtained from university they will sit now to see the syllabus
As discrimination will END.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 12:15pm On Nov 17, 2006
Let them abolish polytechnic education as a whole and convert those that meet the standard into universities while those that do not meet the standard should be converted into schools of basic studies. What we don't want is the conversion of only 2 polytechics into universites; what about the other polytechnics, will they still be polytechnics?? This will not solve the problem. ASUP should resist this negative plans by the FG.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 12:37pm On Nov 17, 2006
City university Lagos and CITY University KADUNA, all other Federal poly will be a campus of Near by federal university. Fedeal Government will no longer have any federal poly. Tell the states to do something.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 10:46am On Nov 21, 2006
what about the agitation for creation of national polytechics comission?? Do't you think FG are running away from it?? Why wont they be to by mandating polytechnics to start running post graduate programs among other things.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Sacks over 1000 Staffs / Breaking news : ICAN releases the result of 2016 May Diet Exam / Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.