Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,801 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? (48607 Views)

Top HND Holders In Nigeria / Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 6:27pm On Dec 19, 2006
No mind dem jo.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by samsonebele(m): 5:51am On Dec 20, 2006
We were made to understand that Polytechic graduates are technical graduates while University graduates are Policy makers . Period
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 8:24am On Dec 20, 2006
samson ebele:

We were made to understand that Polytechic graduates are technical graduates while University graduates are Policy makers . Period

Who made you understand that??
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 8:53am On Dec 22, 2006
samson ebele:

You are right ok keep to your view
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 12:45pm On Dec 22, 2006
Hnd-holder:

You are right ok keep to your view

That's what somebody told him. Let him tell us the person that told him, period!!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by emmigrant0(m): 11:21am On Dec 23, 2006
Samson Ebele you are a disgrace to Nairalanders i mean it. Who told you that University Graduate are policy Makers? are they Piliticians? Can you see what you are trying to make UNI GRADs into? i am really disapointed in you because you are lacking in the focus of this site you better appologies or be more critized by FELLAS. We are built to encourage each other not to call yourself a policy maker when you cannot defend what you read. I belive you to be someone that graduate on been pushed may be something less than a pass but rounded up to become a pass.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 12:51pm On Dec 23, 2006
HND and Bsc are equivalent qualifications, period!!! Government should pass the bill on HND discrimination on time i beg.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by donmayor(m): 10:02pm On Dec 26, 2006
the reason you say govt. should pass that bill is because of the discrimination in Nigeria. HND and degree are not and cannot be the same thing.
From Princeton(wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn);Higher National Diploma: a diploma given for vocational training that prepares the student for a career in a particular area; good students may progress to a course leading to a degree.
Degree:an award conferred by a college or university signifying that the recipient has satisfactorily completed a course of study
Reading those definitions carefully, you would see that HND and degree are not the same thing. They should throw that bill out and do what is right with HND graduates.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:28am On Dec 27, 2006
Donmayor, you have come again, abi?? You no dey hear english again?? I said HND and Bsc are equivalent qualifications in Nigeria. They are never the same and cannot be the same. Some of the skills HND graduates in Nigeria possess, the Bsc graduates do not have them and vice versa because of differences in the course curricula. Dont begin to compare HND graduates in the UK or Ghana with that of Nigeria because you will never get what we are talking about right. And for your information the president has said that HND and Bsc are of equal strength, and that superiority depends on the skills and performance of the holders of these qualifications. HND accounting graduate that passes ICAN and ACCA exams is obviously better and superior to his friend or brother with a Bsc accounting Degree (ICAN failed or ICAN in view).
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 8:00am On Dec 27, 2006
Leave everybody with his opinion
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 8:08am On Dec 27, 2006
Hnd-holder:

Leave everybody with his opinion

HND-holder, you are right o! I will leave them with their opinions, its better.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 8:19am On Dec 27, 2006
I made it in life in my own way with HND
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 8:26am On Dec 27, 2006
HND Certificate, An Embarrassment?

NO           QED

HND Prepare me for the unknown, because of a reason I made it to POLYTECHNIC . Some are looking at me as lucky man for they can not have OND.
HND to a school certificate holder is not an embarrassment , HND to him na BABA

But when you go beyong your level to compete where you are not wanted then?
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 9:19am On Dec 27, 2006
Hnd-holder:

But when you go beyong your level to the compete where you are not wanted then?

It becomes an embarrassment.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 7:13am On Dec 28, 2006
It is not the HND it is the people
How can a technical college compare with school certificate holder

So Polytechnic equiped with skills to do technological job now want to be a secondary school teacher. NCE holder will be a better teacher.

LONG THROAT is an emsrrassment.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:55am On Dec 28, 2006
Hnd-holder:

So Polytechnic equiped with skills to do technological job now want to be a secondary school teacher. NCE holder will be a better teacher.

LONG THROAT is an emsrrassment.

Why won't polytechnic Technologists be Teachers when the University Engineers have all failed to design for them. The problem of Technological under development in Nigeria is as a result of our university Engineers being unable to live up to expectations.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by donmayor(m): 3:37pm On Dec 28, 2006
thats the problem with Nigeria. Instead of fixing things up like the issue of what polytechnic graudates are meant to do and why nigerian engineers can't develop anything, they try to patch it up and add more problems like wanting to equate polys and universities. Polys have their place in any country so also do universities. equating both of them would just be a temporary fix and when a new educated govt comes he would revert back to the right thing.If HND and BSc are not equivalent anywhere in the world, how come are they equivalent in Nigeria? see the Nigerian mentality? We copied this system of education from the whites and we are now trying to modify it to suit us and it sure won't work.Having an HNd is not an embarrassment but expecting similar privileges with that of a BSc holder is too much to ask.there are things a HNd holder should be able to do that a BSc can't and vice versa.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:21pm On Dec 28, 2006
Donmayor, if i may ask, why should Bsc graduates in Nigeria be treated better and given better privileges than poly HND graduates in nigeria?? Please note the emphasis "in NIgeria". What is the difference for God's sake between the time spent to acquire a Bsc in nigeria and the time spent to acquire HND in nigeria?? What are people in the universities taught that people in the polytechnics are not taught?? HND in Britian and most countries is inferior to Bsc because of the following reasons;

1. you spend 2 years to get HND against 3 years to get Bsc
2. you do not carry out a research project before graduating to get HND
3. HND in Britian is termed to be the first 2 years of a 3-year Bsc program.

Please there is a big difference between HND and Bsc in Britian. But in nigeria we still can't know where the difference lies because you must carry out a research project before getting HND, and the minimum time spent in school to get HND in Nigeria is 5 years while Bsc is 4 years. Ok, agreed poly graduates spend 1 year outside the school doing industrial training, that is 4 academic years + 1 year industrial training. Please Donmayor the difference between HND and Bsc in Nigeria is the name, period. They are equivalent qualifications and that is why some if not most poly HND graduates in nigeria do better than uni Bsc graduates in professional exams and places of work. I rest my case here!!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by donmayor(m): 9:47pm On Dec 28, 2006
Even the Bsc u do here in Nigeria that they want to make 6 yrs for engr now, u spend 4 years in other advanced countries. HND here too is like 3 yrs of a 5yrs BSc course. the only problem is that there are no spaces in the university.HND holders doing better than BSc holders is not confirmed. You base ur data on feedback from few friends.When our fathers started the poly and university they were not meant to be the same and the number of years is still the same till today.It is not really about better privileges, it is about the quality of work delivered. If you are employed in the right place for which u studied (not mech engr working in oceanic bank) then u would receive the privileges of ur job. Agreed, that employers in Nigeria are brainless and just want BSc graduates, it is a temporary fix to say HND and BSc is equivalent.Education in Nigeria should be totally and rightly reformed. Nigeria is just too complex, i'm finding it hard to understand what i want to put down.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:26am On Dec 29, 2006
Donmayor, HND is a certificate awarded after completing the first 2 years of a 3-year Degree program in Uk universities. The only thing they don't do is the 3rd year which comprises of some few courses and research project that is all; but in nigeria the polytechnic HND courses run for 5 years like BTech Degree programs and not even Bsc because Bsc in nigeria is 4 years. BEng and BTech Degree programs last for 5 years and they also spend 6 months or more within that 5years doing industrial training like their poly counterparts. Please there is no difference between what you learn in the university and in the polytechnic in nigeria. We have the records and statistics that most people who pass or have passed ICAN exams are polytechnic HND graduates and they still perform better than their Bsc counterparts in the field of accounting in their places of work. Don't tell me that what i'm saying is what i hear from friends or "them say", NO. Please ICAN have the records and statistics you can ask them for it and confirm for yourself. I think the problem is the name HND; and the solution is to change the name to Degree or what have you like the universities, because there is little or no difference between what the polytechnics & colleges of Technology and the universities do.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by emmigrant0(m): 8:07am On Dec 29, 2006
Ishmeal you have spoken well and Mr.D well what i will say is this "stop beating around the bush" you must learn to walk b4 you walk OK?
HND, B/TECH B/ENG are 5yrs programs BSC is just 4yrs the Federal Gov through the president have made them equal if you don't know this equation started in the year 1975 when he was a military Head of State, and today it has been actualized.

We just have to respect each other weather HND or B whatever, prove yourself in the field if you know you merited what you have. I have said this before that i am a DON in my place of work in respective of what i have and i am really doing great and you cant speak Engineering if i am not Around. I am fully registered with coren and i have started another with NSC so prove yourself and allow the labour market to beg you.

I am tired of this argument what has the government said after their address on this issue is what we should be talking about.
Cheers.
Jeffery
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 8:16am On Dec 29, 2006
Jeff, dont mind Mr. Donmayor. He can not come out with any reason why HND and Bsc are not equivalent in nigeria, rather he's talking about how the society feels about polytechnics and HND certificate.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 9:16am On Dec 29, 2006
Hnd or polytechnic is not the issue,
Equality is the game.
I am superior that is the issue. Everyone want to be call oga.

Why pegging HND progress?
(You peg Nigeria progress Technologicallyas well)

Today we import everything you can think of, Why? All your underwear are fairly use, think of common toy!
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 9:43am On Dec 29, 2006
Hnd-holder:

Hnd or polytechnic is not the issue,
Equality is the game.
I am superior that is the issue. Everyone want to be call oga.

Why pegging HND progress?
(You peg Nigeria progress Technologicallyas well)

Today we import everything you can think of, Why? All your underwear are fairly use, think of common toy!

even pants sef some are fairly use.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 9:47am On Dec 29, 2006
All we want is certificate that is call Degree even if it is from "Toronto"
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 10:30am On Dec 29, 2006
Fayose once said "The polytechnics that most of the adaptive researches, relevant to national aspirations for development were being carried out.     

Over 75 percent of polytechnic lecturers are university graduates and are designated as lecturers, having the career path of becoming Chief Lecturer, Head of School, and Rector.

Polytechnic graduates are called instructors and cannot attain any of these positions except they get additional University degree.

This discrimination, is now more prevalent in the larger society where some government agencies and private companies have refused to employ polytechnic graduates
".
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 1:09pm On Dec 29, 2006
Hnd-holder:

Over 75 percent of polytechnic lecturers are university graduates and are designated as lecturers, having the career path of becoming Chief Lecturer, Head of School, and Rector.

Wrong!! Say over 95% i will agree with you.

Hnd-holder:

Polytechnic graduates are called instructors and cannot attain any of these positions except they get additional University degree.

Who started the discrimination in the polytechnic sector?? is it not the various HOD's an Rectors who are university graduates and know nothing about polytechnics?? Later they will open their wide mouths pretending to be helping us complain about the discrimination of poly graduates by employers, when actually they are the ones that started it (i.e. the architects) and still engineer it.  Charity they say, starts from the home.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 2:01pm On Dec 29, 2006
I think you will say it started from Poly
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by Hndholder(m): 3:17pm On Dec 29, 2006
In spite of the relatively high numbers of Polytechnics and Universities of Technology in Nigeria, the nation still faces the stark realities of an abysmally low technology base.

The effects of poor technology manifest in all fronts ranging from poor economy to inability to properly maintain facilities inherited from colonial masters.

Other important sectors adversely affected include agriculture, utilities such as water and electricity supply, waste management, transportation, building and construction, infrastructure such as road, industrialization, employment etc
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 12:22pm On Dec 30, 2006
Na God go help us oo.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by ishmael(m): 7:18pm On Jan 04, 2007
HND is a stressful qualification, and needs to be given recognition.
Re: HND Certificate: An Embarrassment? by olasky1: 12:57pm On Jan 05, 2007
dear donmayor ,

i av read your so many contribution and i was force to check you profile and discover that u are just 20yrs old , i know quite well u are still writting jamb or u av just manage to get maybe 400 marks in jamb through "wayo way or whuruwuru to the ans"

Any hnd holder that can not perform is not performing cos he can not perform , he will still not perform with 10 bsc combined. so if u are in a university right now all u need do is to read well rather than making noise about ur bsc zoology that u are studying.

a word is enough for the wise ,

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Sacks over 1000 Staffs / Breaking news : ICAN releases the result of 2016 May Diet Exam / Where Can A Zoologist Or Parasitologist Work In Nigeria?(HELP)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.