Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

British Born Naija Interested In Politics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Born Naija Interested In Politics (3292 Views)

$1.1b Fraud: British Judge Questions GEJ's Integrity, Stops Etete From Getting / A Nairalander's Comment In Politics Makes A Full Page Advert In The Guardian / British-born Michael Adeboloja Labelled A Nigerian: Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Born Naija Interested In Politics by domisakin(m): 2:56pm On Dec 31, 2008
I assure you, this is a serious post i am making, i am not humouring you!

Im a british born, british raised and british schooled nigerian. Watching on from a neutral perspective im genuinely disheartened by what i am seeing in Nigeria. Admittedly the fact i have never resided permanently in the country means i do not know it all, but from the little i have gathered in conversation with my naija relatives - and friends living in the country, i almost feel that i have a moral obligation to help.

As such, im interested in joining the political scene of the country. Im currently half way through my studies at a british university. The first thing i want to talk about is the feasibility of this ambition. Corruption is clearly rife and i understand that one man cannot change the situation. I have heard mixed reviews of the incumbent president, but essentially this is a societal problem - which is causing much of the problems suffered by the nation. My opinion is that the youth today are the future of tomorrow. If change is going to come, it will come from the nigerian youth of today. Regardless i feel i should do something. Of course, there are some obstacles in my path. First, is the fact i was not born in nigeria and have not lived there permanently. As such my accent is not only unique, but easily identifiable as one of a 'foreigner'. Would this hinder me? Secondly, in many serious conversations i have had, i've come to realise that in making change i will be disadvantaging the fat cats, who in turn will be resistant to change. My suggestion has even been mocked, nigerians i have spoken to simply believe i myself will become corrupt or i will be assasinated trying to change things. Its easy for me to say i would never surrender my targets and commitment for change - simply because of money. However this is the truth. The fact i will be turning my back on a lucrative career in investment banking should i pursue my political ambitions, is evident of this.

For those that want to know, I honestly believe the oil situation, power and security are the key to change. These are no laughing matters, but at the same time will not be simple problems to solve. Yes change will encounter much resistance, but at present the nation is abusing its potential. Without sounding condescending, the root of the problem seems to be the general mentality of the Nigerian society. Nobody is to blame, however without change the nation will continue to languish.

Thats just my $0.02 anyway. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by gozzilla(m): 3:01pm On Dec 31, 2008
Doesn't sound like you need opinions your mind is made up and to be frank that is good. Soon the replies will come and they will come fast and hard and they will all come negative. Negative not because that is all they can say, but because that is all a post like yours deserve. To change a nation is not a days job then to change a nation like ours,

Please give it a hard thought ainnt nothing wrong with the idea as a matter of fact more folks like you should be encouraged to do same, but nonetheless give it a hard thought.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by domisakin(m): 3:05pm On Dec 31, 2008
I appreciate this isnt a days job. Change may not come in our generation or the next. But if we dont make an effort to start it, when will it ever come?

And i also want to stress my ambition is not to rise to power, it is simply to help in making a difference. In all honesty, politics is the only avenue i think i could realistically contribute.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by lucabrasi(m): 3:14pm On Dec 31, 2008
there are different ways you could help nigeria,it doesnt have to be by going headlong into the murky cespool of nigerian politics,you keep on saying change so ill assume you have read obama's book, there s something he was doing called community organisation,its something you could think about,another thing is charity in any sector you r comfortable with(less advantaged children/youths,mentoring,old people,teen pregnant girls,prostitutes e.t.c)
the point of my preamble is while not saying you cant suceed in politics,after all you might be another eloquent and inspiring orator like obama with a real passion for change,you have to factor in the fact that we dont have a working system at all so any change needs to start from building up a working system
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by domisakin(m): 3:32pm On Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the reply lucabrasi. Its an avenue i havent really explored in truth.

My concerns are once again money. For any charitable organisation to be effective, it requires a steady cash flow - if not a substantial financial base. Whilst i could make my money in Britain before starting up something along these lines in nigeria, this would take substantial time. And then we come to funding. How long will it be, before such an organisation is itself stooped in corruption? Using corrupt practises to obtain funding? Bound by a corrupt benefactor to do their bidding?

Still though, its something i think i will look into more.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On Dec 31, 2008
@Poster, I personally would not support any Nigerian who can not boast of having lived in the country at least 10 years, which to me is time enough to not only go through the many levels needed to mature one, and also equip any Nigerian who really wants to change that country, with the knowledge and understanding of the problems down there. Conversations of any kind with Nigerians who live there, or have been there, does not cut it for me.

Going by your statement that the oil, power and security problems are the key to the problem in that country, I think you have a serious lot to learn of the problems in that country.

Get a job down there and work amongst the people for about 5 years, then come back and tell us if you still believe that.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by lucabrasi(m): 3:44pm On Dec 31, 2008
hope the situation is getting clearer to you now,imagine if you ll have problems raising money for charities in nigeria,how much more difficult will it be raising money for politics without factoring in the corruption and intrigues thats part and parcel of politics in nigeria,

if politics or something connected to politics is your forte,then ill suggest yo explore the option of the community organising,as most people dont know their electoral rights and need to be educated on their rights and the need to vote for their conscience and not for a bowl of rice e.t.c. while its a charity,you r also working towards your own grassroots support base with a view to going into politics in future, it ll take some hard graft,resilience e.t.c if you r up for it
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by domisakin(m): 4:05pm On Dec 31, 2008
Kobo i appreciate your opinion. This was indeed one of my fears. Despite a foreigner wanting to do good, you would still be unsupportive?

With all due respect the key issues are more than evident. As mentioned, power, security, and the oil situation are major stumbling blocks. Yes there are many things i will not know of, but these issues mentioned at least are plain to see. And again i'll mention that my interest does not lie in taking control of the country. I simply want to do what i can. For me to do that i would obviously have to relocate to the country after my studies, but are you saying anything i did would go unappreciated? These problems havent just sprung up in the last few years, they have been inherent. So to this i say, why have the vast majority of those who have lived in the country (and by your definition have endured the frustrations), and are in a position to bring about progress - seemingly not done anything about the situation? Yet you would still be resistant to a foreigner trying to help, with no self interests at heart? I assume you would endorse charitable contributions to the country, but you state you would not support the same person trying to make effective progress via the political arena? I am not here to cause trouble, but to an extent is this not the very definition of double standards?

Regardless, i appreciate your opinion. How would you personally suggest i go about making a positive contribution to the country?
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by domisakin(m): 4:12pm On Dec 31, 2008
lucabrasi, i think you have hit the nail on the head there. Money being the root of all evil, it is evident that practically everything boils down to money. This isnt too dissimilar from the capitalist structure across the world, but when corruption begins creeping into all aspects of the society there is a serious problem indeed.

Community organising is another aspect i havent considered, and would present an interesting challenge. Even without the motive of one day entering the political arena, its an interesting prospect.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Kobojunkie: 4:32pm On Dec 31, 2008
domisakin:

Kobo i appreciate your opinion. This was indeed one of my fears. Despite a foreigner wanting to do good, you would still be unsupportive?

Well, the key is you are a foreigner, meaning you have little information on what the actual problems in that country really is. I will not support you getting into Politics. If you want to help, do something volunteer to help schools develop their curriculum or something; work on improving the lives of people by connecting them with others that can help. Anything but running for office in Nigeria. I will support you everyelse but here. We do not need yet another J.J.C (Anyone clueless being) in the political arena.

domisakin:

With all due respect the key issues are more than evident. As mentioned, power, security, and the oil situation are major stumbling blocks. Yes there are many things i will not know of, but these issues mentioned at least are plain to see. And again i'll mention that my interest does not lie in taking control of the country.

Just because they seem apparent does not mean they are the key issues in the country. Have you read any of the many threads on Nairaland alone, where you have people venting on the main issues? Oil is not the main issue. Tribalism is closer to the problem than oil is. Oil is secondary. Power is not one of the main issues. Corruption seems more top on that list than power even comes close. What you keep pointing to are issues that are tertiary. Listen to all the politicians up there and they repeat exactly what you are saying here, so if they know these to be the key issues, why do we still have those issues?

domisakin:

I simply want to do what i can. For me to do that i would obviously have to relocate to the country after my studies, but are you saying anything i did would go unappreciated?

Nope, I am simply saying, and I believe I made myself clear from the start, that I am against a foreign-born Nigerian, with next to no clue of what the REAL issues in the country are, running for office in that country. If I moved out to the UK with the limited understanding I have of the problems in the UK, do you think I am likely to become mayor of London this summer? Come on!! I am clear here!

Now if I were to set up a shelter to help the homeless or something, I will definitely be welcomed. If you come in with some idea to help the people other than running for office, I am good. grin

domisakin:

These problems havent just sprung up in the last few years, they have been inherent. So to this i say, why have the vast majority of those who have lived in the country (and by your definition have endured the frustrations), and are in a position to bring about progress - seemingly not done anything about the situation?

Simple, because many of them still do not get that the superficial issues are not necessarily the main issues, and so they continue the BANDAGE politics. And this is why we are still where we are today in that country. My asking you to live in the country, a while, is to help give you a better understanding of what the real issues are, and which issues are products of underlying issues. If after living there, you gain a better idea of what is really going on, then you have my full support but till then, Nah!!!

domisakin:

Yet you would still be resistant to a foreigner trying to help, with no self interests at heart? I assume you would endorse charitable contributions to the country, but you state you would not support the same person trying to make effective progress via the political arena? I am not here to cause trouble, but to an extent is this not the very definition of double standards?

Regardless, i appreciate your opinion. How would you personally suggest i go about making a positive contribution to the country?

Again, if you support me becoming the chancellor at your school or mayor of London this summer, then we will go from there. The solution has nothing to do with you being a foreigner, as you already stated earlier that you are just a foreign-born Nigerian. Just as I would not hire a 2nd year medical student to perform major surgery on me, I would not support you getting into Nigerian politics until you actually learn what the real problems are and come up with more serious solutions and better. Till then, I just will not.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 31, 2008
As such my accent is not only unique, but easily identifiable as one of a 'foreigner'.

What makes you think that your UK accent is unique? Your arrogance alone is enough for market women to stone you.
However, if you are really sincere about the motives of your political ambitions, then i wish you luck and hope you will learn one or two things from our armchair critics essay writers. undecided grin
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by domisakin(m): 4:50pm On Dec 31, 2008
In honesty I agree with what you have said kobo.

Just to clarify i am still young, and perhaps slightly naive about the world in which we live in. What you are saying, and the outcome i was hoping for, is the fact that me being born and raised in Britain wouldnt make my cause destined for failure. I'll agree with you, i wont be ready to enter the Nigerian political scene for some time - not least till i have truly lived and experienced the problems facing Nigeria. I'm sure there arent any 22 year old politicians in Nigeria (of course i could be wrong!) and thus any intention to enter the political scene would require experience at the bare minimum - which i hope to obtain within the country. Before then i am even considering studying for a Masters degree in some politics related field.

It is at least heartening to know that my aspirations in Nigerian politics are potentially achieveable.

P.S. If you run for mayor of London, you have my vote!  wink
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by domisakin(m): 4:53pm On Dec 31, 2008
Just for clarification nuzo, by 'unique' I mean 'different from the societal norm'. grin
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Ibime(m): 5:18pm On Dec 31, 2008
This guy, just forget [i]d[/i]at tin. Nigeria does not need missionaries. We all know what to do to change the situation, even those of us who were born and bred there. Unless you are coming to Nigeria with 10,000,000,000 AK47's, RPGs, Surface to Air missiles, F1 fighters and 10 million infantry, I cannot believe in the 'change' you offer. . . . like Lucabrasi said, you should concentrate on charity work. . . . . until then, these are just ideological dreams of an undergraduate fantasist. . . . people with serious PHD sef never fit change Naija, na Britico like you go change am?
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by asha80(m): 5:31pm On Dec 31, 2008
This guy, just forget dat tin. Nigeria does not need missionaries. We all know what to do to change the situation, even those of us who were born and bred there. Unless you are coming to Nigeria with 10,000,000,000 AK47's, RPGs, Surface to Air missiles, F1 fighters and a 10 million infantry, I cannot believe in the 'change' you offer. . . . like Lucabrasi said, you should concentrate on charity work. . . . . until then, these are just ideological dreams of an undergraduate fantasist. . . . people with serious PHD sef never fit change Naija, na Britico like you go change am?

shocked shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by lucabrasi(m): 5:57pm On Dec 31, 2008
@domisakin
don't let any negative or defeatist comments dampen your enthusiasm,it is quite rare to find western born and bred nigerians and africans being that interested and eager to go back to their country of origin and do their bit for their motherland as most will refer to these countries with derision.
while i have raised some issues that might mitigate against you going straight off into politics,don't think for one moment that you cannot be a politician or go into politics and be voted for in nigeria,most of the older generations all schooled abroad and went back to Nigeria to take up politics, all you need to do is to study the climate and the underlying problems and then start of where you ll be most accepted,most often it ll be your immediate village/town where either your parents,grandparents or members of your extended family will be known and then start from there,if everyone abroad had the attitude that the nigerian problems are insurmountable then  several years from now nigeria would have been worse off

also one thing you need to be used to with most Nigerians especially on here is csarcasmsneers and people discouraging but ddon'ttake much notice of it as its part and parcel of us
@ibime
shocked shocked
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by bawomolo(m): 6:13pm On Dec 31, 2008
Ibime:

This guy, just forget [i]d[/i]at tin. Nigeria does not need missionaries. We all know what to do to change the situation, even those of us who were born and bred there. Unless you are coming to Nigeria with[b] 10,000,000,000 AK47's, RPGs, Surface to Air missiles, F1 fighters and 10 million infantry[/b], I cannot believe in the 'change' you offer. . . . like Lucabrasi said, you should concentrate on charity work. . . . . until then, these are just ideological dreams of an undergraduate fantasist. . . . people with serious PHD sef never fit change Naija, na Britico like you go change am?

chineke na only China you fit find that one  grin. honestly though, we all know what happens to Nigerian radicals when they get into power.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by tpia: 6:20pm On Dec 31, 2008
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by KnowAll(m): 2:39pm On Jan 01, 2009
@poster

the problem with you is u dont konw the dynamics of Nigerian politics, unlike in the west u are British, American, German, the whole country is your consituency. As a British u are can contest for the House of commons from Glasgow or Wales they are all part of the UK. Same with America u can contest from Miami or from seatle for Congress. Same also in Germany, but Nija is a diffrent kettle of fish. Even myself a Yoruba man cannot see my self contesting successfully for my home town - Ondo Town becos I do not understand the local lingo, I only understand general Yoruba, how much more me contesting in Zamfara state. First Nigerians are either Yoruba, Hausa, Edo, Igbo, Efik b4 they are Nigerians. And if you are Yoruba u are either Egba, Ijebu, Oyo, Ijesha, Ekiti, Ondo. In your own case u will be regarded by poiltical opponents as neither been Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, or any of the other 400 tribes in Nigeria. You might have a yoruba or Igbo name that does not make u a full Nigerian u will be referred to as a foreigner. A case that came to mind was the Shugaba case in the early 80's he was a man from Borno state but born in Chad, he wanted to contest for a particular post in Borno state, it then came to light that he was not born in Nigeria, I think he was eventually deported to Chad a man who grew up in Nigeria. Dont forget your political enemies will
use every dirty trick in the book to fustrate you.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by KnowAll(m): 2:55pm On Jan 01, 2009
@poster - REFRENCE TO THE Shugaba Case of 1981, the aformentioned area is highlighted for your attention.

Nigeria’s Democracy: The journey so far

By Chioma Anyagafu
Saturday, May 31, 2003

IN 1976, at the twilight of the attempt to return the country to civil rule in a post civil-war transition, the then military Head of State, General Olusegun Obasanjo set up a Constitution Drafting Committee headed by Chief Rotimi Williams which duty it was to produce the draft constitution for the future use of civilian governments. By September of the same year, this constitution was ready.

Contents of the Draft favoured the federation and the fact that Nigeria must retain its federal form of government. It provided for elected parliaments and governors for each state, making a major change for a popularly elected executive president.

Hitherto, the British model whereby power was concentrated in the hands of a Prime Minister was the system under practice. It was the system that produced Alhaji Tafawa Balewa of the First Republic as the Prime Minister of the country and Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe as ceremonial president. But at the time the Draft was made, this system has become generally unacceptable to majority of ethnic groups in Nigeria.

A debate was initiated between the press and the public and the Draft was submitted to the Constituent Assembly. It took a lot of time to debate on the Draft Constitution.

By 1978, registration of voters had taken place as an advance towards the civilian rule and all the then military governors were relieved of their duties July 1978. The Draft Constitution provided a four-year tenure for elected President and Vice-President, federal Senate and House of Representatives, state governors and state Houses of Assembly.

When eventually, the military administration of General Olusegun Obasanjo lifted the ban on political activities September 21, 1978, twenty political parties were formed out of which five got registered. These were the National Party of Nigeria, NPN, which national chairman was Chief Michael Adisa Akinloye. It also paraded prominent politicians like Alhaji Makaman Bida, Alhaji Shehu Shagari, Chief J.S. Tarka and Chief Richard Akinjide. There was also the Unity Party of Nigeria, UPN, headed by the Yoruba sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo which advocated free education, free health services and other welfare state measures. The Nigeria Peoples Party, NPP, was led by Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe who joined the political contest at the age of 74. There were also the Great Nigeria Peoples Party, GNPP, headed by Alhaji Waziri Ibrahim who advocated national reconstruction through politics without bitterness. Finally, there was the Peoples Redemption Party, PRP, headed by Alhaji Aminu Kano.

Elections proper were held between July and August 1979 in the following order: Senate July 7; House of Representatives, July 14; States House of Assembly, July 1; and state governors, July 28. Presidential elections were held on August 11, 1979.

When the results were ready, NPN emerged overall winner and Alhaji Shehu Shagari, the presidential candidate of the NPN was declared winner after he scored 25% or more in twelve states and 20% of votes in Kano. His victory was contested by UPN but the courts upheld it.

On October 1, 1979, the military regime of General Olusegun Obasanjo handed over to the democratically-elected regime of Alhaji Shehu Shagari.

But soon after democracy got established, things began to happen. Democracy got characterised by high political tension both within and between the parties. In Kaduna State, more than one year after civilian take-over, the PRP governor was yet to form a cabinet.

[b][/b]In Borno State, crises got to a head that the GNPP majority leader, Alhaji Abdulrahman Shugaba was deported by Federal Immigration authorities to Chad in January on the ground that he was a Chadian.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by KnowAll(m): 2:58pm On Jan 01, 2009
@poster -  REFRENCE TO THE Shugaba Case of 1981, the aformentioned area is highlighted for your attention.

Nigeria’s Democracy: The journey so far

By Chioma Anyagafu
Saturday, May 31, 2003

IN 1976, at the twilight of the attempt to return the country to civil rule in a post civil-war transition, the then military Head of State, General Olusegun Obasanjo set up a Constitution Drafting Committee headed by Chief Rotimi Williams which duty it was to produce the draft constitution for the future use of civilian governments. By September of the same year, this constitution was ready.

Contents of the Draft favoured the federation and the fact that Nigeria must retain its federal form of government. It provided for elected parliaments and governors for each state, making a major change for a popularly elected executive president.

Hitherto, the British model whereby power was concentrated in the hands of a Prime Minister was the system under practice. It was the system that produced Alhaji Tafawa Balewa of the First Republic as the Prime Minister of the country and Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe as ceremonial president. But at the time the Draft was made, this system has become generally unacceptable to majority of ethnic groups in Nigeria.

A debate was initiated between the press and the public and the Draft was submitted to the Constituent Assembly. It took a lot of time to debate on the Draft Constitution.

By 1978, registration of voters had taken place as an advance towards the civilian rule and all the then military governors were relieved of their duties July 1978. The Draft Constitution provided a four-year tenure for elected President and Vice-President, federal Senate and House of Representatives, state governors and state Houses of Assembly.

When eventually, the military administration of General Olusegun Obasanjo lifted the ban on political activities September 21, 1978, twenty political parties were formed out of which five got registered. These were the National Party of Nigeria, NPN, which national chairman was Chief Michael Adisa Akinloye. It also paraded prominent politicians like Alhaji Makaman Bida, Alhaji Shehu Shagari, Chief J.S. Tarka and Chief Richard Akinjide. There was also the Unity Party of Nigeria, UPN, headed by the Yoruba sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo which advocated free education, free health services and other welfare state measures. The Nigeria Peoples Party, NPP, was led by Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe who joined the political contest at the age of 74. There were also the Great Nigeria Peoples Party, GNPP, headed by Alhaji Waziri Ibrahim who advocated national reconstruction through politics without bitterness. Finally, there was the Peoples Redemption Party, PRP, headed by Alhaji Aminu Kano.

Elections proper were held between July and August 1979 in the following order: Senate July 7; House of Representatives, July 14; States House of Assembly, July 1; and state governors, July 28. Presidential elections were held on August 11, 1979.

When the results were ready, NPN emerged overall winner and Alhaji Shehu Shagari, the presidential candidate of the NPN was declared winner after he scored 25% or more in twelve states and 20% of votes in Kano. His victory was contested by UPN but the courts upheld it.

On October 1, 1979, the military regime of General Olusegun Obasanjo handed over to the democratically-elected regime of Alhaji Shehu Shagari.

But soon after democracy got established, things began to happen. Democracy got characterised by high political tension both within and between the parties. In Kaduna State, more than one year after civilian take-over, the PRP governor was yet to form a cabinet.

[b][/b]In Borno State, crises got to a head that the GNPP majority leader, Alhaji Abdulrahman Shugaba was deported by Federal Immigration authorities to Chad in January on the ground that he was a Chadian.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by mash2(m): 3:52pm On Jan 01, 2009
Domishakin(g?)>

The way I look at it, Ur mentor , the great Bushman and im lapdog (i don't mean laptop), the blairing toni, after thier great adventures in warriorland(s) has succeeded in degrading u even further to nth class fellow for yonder, so u want an attempt at loot ko? Walahi, make i tell u, u don fail as all loot(s) is in the hand of the closely knit smart executhieves here. So I'd suggest u try new want-away republics like abkhazia and kosovo. Goos luck

Sai Anjinma! grin
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by congoshine(m): 4:10pm On Jan 01, 2009
My friend save your hard earned British passport + education for yourself & your offspring.

It sad ,but Nigeria may be irredeemable ! cry cry cry
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by gozzilla(m): 4:37pm On Jan 01, 2009
Whoa someone says his country is irredeemable. Is this what a forum makes a man do say things without thinking about them. Such words as meaningless as they seem go a long way in affecting your generation. I just hope you are not Nigerian.

@poster this is not the way to dream. I have learnt that dreaming out loud is simply giving your dream a big knock and that is what you are doing to your dream. Secondly a forum with faceless "pessimist" is the worst place to get an approval for a dream. I don't know what you wish to get by doing this but i assure you one thing its either you get discouraged or you encourage a whole lot of folks and i don't think you will be able to do the latter.

Please kill this thread or it will thread on your dream.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by noetic(m): 5:00pm On Jan 01, 2009
domisakin:

In honesty I agree with what you have said kobo.

Just to clarify i am still young, and perhaps slightly naive about the world in which we live in. What you are saying, and the outcome i was hoping for, is the fact that me being born and raised in Britain wouldnt make my cause destined for failure. I'll agree with you, i wont be ready to enter the Nigerian political scene for some time - not least till i have truly lived and experienced the problems facing Nigeria. I'm sure there arent any 22 year old politicians in Nigeria (of course i could be wrong!) and thus any intention to enter the political scene would require experience at the bare minimum - which i hope to obtain within the country. Before then i am even considering studying for a Masters degree in some politics related field.

It is at least heartening to know that my aspirations in Nigerian politics are potentially achieveable.

P.S. If you run for mayor of London, you have my vote!  wink
First, I will b disapponted at ur cawordice if u back off from ur aspirations because of the jejune and antideluvian road blocks raised by kobo. you will meet many more of this road blocks, learn the act of ignoring them.

What u have is a brilliant dream, an aspiration to change ur motherland. U have the most important tool, which is the passion, all others will follow.
Instead of worrying about how corruption and the spoils of money will stop u from realising ur dream, y not properly define ur dream. its not enough to b passionate.

ideologies and programs to b implemented in power must be well defined and this is probably d best time to do so at this age.

Dont forget that the likes of buhari and murtala had the passion and dream to biuld a great country, fortunately for them
they attained power, but in reality they were unprepared for it, as they did next to nothing to improve the standard of living and economic well being of the country.

there is a new generation of nigerians rising up out there, who have similar aspirations, hope and dream of a better country. They are not scared nor intimidated by the limitless road blocks ahead.
preparation is the key, before u  know it the alarm will sound and nigeria will b redeemed, until then , dont loose hope.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Naijex: 5:02pm On Jan 01, 2009
@Poster
I think you can do a lot by creating an organization and help to educate and enlighten the grass root on there electoral right.

These are the poor people turned thugs that can kill because of a place of rice/small amount of money during the election period and after the election, nothing for them. Go in their head and let them know they deserve better. But this could be very dangerous.

That is the key,
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Frizy(m): 7:28pm On Jan 01, 2009
@domisakin

My brother, there is absolutely nothing wrong in running politics in Nigeria, if you don't want to be corrupt, you still need good connections that may not necessarily be in the country. I have a serious ambition in the Nigerian politics as well, its a good thing to start a charity organization to gain the sympathy of the masses. But we need money to run things like this, and there are people that would like to help with their wealth- I mean sincere people. You just need the right connections, if you really want to go into politics you don't have to work all your life to save enough to become the peoples choice. In fact, your main objective should that you have like minds that are wealthy enough to sponsor your objectives secretly.

My aim to make this country developed, and the quick deployment of people that want a change is necessary. Please don't make people tell you it's impossible, they are usually the people that have no hope for themselves with respect to the country and do nothing about. Care less about what the critics say, grin. Even Jesus and Mohammed the prophet were criticized by their people, but at the end they were successful.

email me on:[email]femisalawudeen@yahoo.co.uk [/email]
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by subice(m): 9:49pm On Jan 01, 2009
@ poster

First i would like to commend you for the passion you have to actually try to change things or at least make a positive contribution/difference. From a political angle, as someone said, you'll need to be here for a while and get to be at least involved in a community you live in for example, to familiarize yourself with the day-to-day workings of the Nigerian system as it actually is.

As for the many pessimistic and negative comments you'll no doubt get when you share your dreams/ideas, let me just say that there are many who have already given up on Nigeria and to a large extent, are justified to feel that way. On the otherhand, there are those of us that believe in the future of this country and intend to play our part in turning things around. There are many young people home and abroad springing up that are planning/making various moves/projects to this effect, trust me, i know. It doesn't have to be obvious and there's a lot of work to do. I believe it is only a matter of time before things are turned round if this direction is sustained. That's why I'm asking you to focus on what direction you want to go and approach it reasonably, with belief, and don't let the everlasting cynics derail you. Also, try to surround yourself with like-minded people and not those waiting to shoot down your ideas at every opporunity.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Kobojunkie: 10:54pm On Jan 01, 2009
@Domisakin, thanks for the vote of confidence. I only hope you will remain on my side when I enter London with a machine gun. I plan to rid london of the likes of Madonna and Prince charles. lol

You could always go back to one of the schools in Nigeria to get your masters degree. That way you can boast of attending a Nigerian school, after which you can serve in the NYSC program down there. But I really believe that that country needs more people who are willing to do in differnt sectors than more politicians.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by nguage(m): 3:04am On Jan 02, 2009
Oh shit! It's another eloquent, foreign raised Jinnah here to lead his long lost relatives to the proverbial promised land. No sir. You don't start a political career by posting on a message board. Even worse, in your post you admitted you've never lived in Nigeria. Do you know what a blackout feels like? I guess not.

Why don't you start with living in Nigeria for a few years? Then go on to join a regular political party and familiarize yourself with the political atmosphere in the country. If after this, you still feel passionate about getting into the political system, call me up and I'll work on your political team without asking for money.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by earTHMama: 3:44am On Jan 02, 2009
In Borno State, crises got to a head that the GNPP majority leader, Alhaji Abdulrahman Shugaba was deported by Federal Immigration authorities to Chad in January on the ground that he was a Chadian

In that case, many Northerners should be deported to Niger or Chad. IBB is from Niger; Abacha was from Chad; Gwarzo is from Niger etc.
Re: British Born Naija Interested In Politics by Nobody: 4:38am On Jan 02, 2009
everybody is talking about change here,change there, what is this change self? change starts from our homes and redefining ourself and our heritage and not only that changing people around us, Obama did this before he ever aspired for that high office,change starts from ur closet(One voice can change a room, If one voice can change a room it can change a group,if the voice can change group it can change a state,if that voice can change a state,it would change a Nation,if that voice can change a nation, It would change the world(Ur voice can change the world), I believe in Nigeria (Jayon for President 2025) visit my blog site (www.eliadewole. .com or www.wisdomelite. .com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman / Horrific Pictures Of The Bomb Blast At The Un House In Abuja! / The Massive Real Estate Properties Of The Jonathans In Bayelsa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.