Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC (22466 Views)

Obasanjo Swearing In Buhari As Petroleum Minister In 1976 (Throwback Photo) / Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) / Nigerian Soldier: "We are Using Old Tanks since 1976 to fight Boko Haram" - BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by NaLaugh: 2:19pm On Feb 13, 2015
I feel really bad for Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Rich4god(m): 2:20pm On Feb 13, 2015
All those modern tanks seized by BH boys are from where. Those ones behind shekau in all his videos...

In as much as I knw dat the NA dont have good weapons... There is no need using lies to spread your propaganda...

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by walozanga(m): 2:20pm On Feb 13, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

Loads of rubbish, what type of tanks are soldiers from Chad using that they have been dealing with boko haram Are Chad, Nigeria and Cameroon having better tanks/weapons than Nigeria

The Nigerian army should finish off these fvcking jihadists and stop telling us these stories. undecided undecided

Don't mind them , they can't fool us! Nigerian soldiers are dealing with book haram full time. I have a brother there

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Burger01(m): 2:22pm On Feb 13, 2015
OgologoDimkpa:
GEJ all the way!!!

GEJ till 2019!!!
Suffering and smiling. Keep smiling while suffering..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Tibins(m): 2:22pm On Feb 13, 2015
midolian:
This government is simply a poo, no matter how you try to package it..

We need a government that ll value the lives and appreciate the effort of these men. Not a government as this, that's bn economical with the truth and playing expensive politix with the lives of these great men..

God! We r in your hands..Save us from this blood thirsty govt.

This an old story. Now the game has changed. The army is aware of the new equipment they have. BH won't stand at present
No more prpaganda guys

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by atlwireles: 2:23pm On Feb 13, 2015
!976 Tanks? when will these boko harams soldiers stop lying. But boko harams are collecting new weapons from soldiers like this coward, if he is even a soldier at all.

If BBC wants to be fair to the Nigerian army, they will send a camera crew to the NE front lines and show the world, what weapons the Nigerian army is using to persecute this war.

There're BBC reporters in Syria and Iraq, reporting from the front lines, why not send a crew to the NE, let the world see for themselves. Remember 90% of boko haram weapons come from the Nigeria army.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Akon419(m): 2:23pm On Feb 13, 2015
midolian:
c'mon let's for once say the truth...GEJ has failed..are you now comparing Obj, Buhari and IBB's regime to this regime? Was there any group terrorizing the country they failed to deal with? Be frank with yourself..this same army under these past regimes were very much respected and were bn recommendend for peace keeping. Now, Na who wan recommend this GEJ military for peace keeping? Corruption infected military
so if you assume to be the head of state, you wait when there is terrorist Group before equip the army with modern weapon . Your sense of reasoning is so myopic and pathetic

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Omooba77: 2:23pm On Feb 13, 2015
Something is wrong here 1976; the year Muritala died?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by mu2sa2: 2:24pm On Feb 13, 2015
The simple truth is, Gej and the people around him had assumed boko haram violence to be north against north ("wetin concern us, make dem destroy themselves na"). Even when chibok girls were abducted, Gej, Pej, and gejites never gave a damn about boko haram. But now that election is starring them in the face, reality has dawned on them. What cluelessness!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by ONYX5(m): 2:25pm On Feb 13, 2015
kolonigga:

Published in the Journal of African Macroeconomic Review, Volume 2 Number 1, the study, titled “Comparative Regime Analysis of the Trend and Structure of Military Expenditure in Nigeria, 1980-2010″, the report revealed that while the Buhari/Idiagbon spent 38.68 of total allocation to the military on capital items such as military hardware between January 1984 and August 1985 when it was overthrown, the Yar’adua/Jonathan administration spent 34.67 percent of military budget between May 2007 and May 2010.

The authors- Anyawu Sarah, Egwaikhide Chris and Aiyedogbon John Olu Coris- observed as follows:” Buhari/Idiagbon in 1983 also allocated 38.68 percent and 61.32 percent for capital milex and recurrent respectively.They spent approximately 16 months.
The Ibrahim Babangida regime (1985-1993) spent 19.58 percent on capital milex and 80.42 on recurrent milex.
Abacha/Shonekan/Abdulsalam (1993-1999) regime expended 24.10 percent on capital milex and 75.9 percent on recurrent milex.
The civilian administration of Olusegun Obasanjo (1999-2007) for a period of 8 years, spent 17.44 percent of her total milex on capital milex and 82.56 percent on recurrent milex.
Yar’adua/Jonathan (2008-2010) had so far spent 34.67 percent on capital milex and 65.33 percent on recurrent.”
Milex refers to military expenditure. Other studies show that since Jonathan took over the reins of leadership, the capital budget for military hardware has been decreasing while recurrent has been increasing.
http://www.africanexaminer.com/buhari-regime-leads-in-military-equipment-spending/
if buhari spent all this money how come they are still using that of 1976?

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Opiosko: 2:25pm On Feb 13, 2015
midolian:

We need a government that ll value the lives and appreciate the effort of these men. Not a government as this, that's bn economical with the truth and playing expensive politix with the lives of these great men..

What did our government since 1976 did with their defence budget?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:25pm On Feb 13, 2015
midolian:

You and your APC folks are pathetic and unpatriotic. 1976 tanks indeed. I thought you lot said Buhari bought tanks in 1984/85. What happened to them?

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by criminalmindz: 2:26pm On Feb 13, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

You and your APC folks are pathetic and unpatriotic. 1976 tanks indeed. I thought you lot said Buhari bought tanks in 1984/85. What happened to them?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Omooba77: 2:26pm On Feb 13, 2015
kolonigga:
You can listen to the conversation here https://soundcloud.com/bbc-world-service/the-fight-against-boko-haram-a-nigerian-soldier-speaks-out?ocid=socialflow_twitter
These are some of the conversations i wrote down.
BBC journalist asked "when Boko Haram dislodged you, where did you go?"
he said they went back, reinforced and went back again. They requested for reinforcement and they sent 20 men but they refused to come due to lack of weapons they don't have. The 20 men were dismissed from the army. He said they have requested for weapons but in many cases have been refused. He said many women in his barracks are windows, they are suffering. He said Boko Haram fighters are using AA(Anti-Aircraft), RPGs and many support weapons. He said the gun they are using is Kalashnikov(AK-47) while old tanks since 1976. The weapons are very, very old he told the BBC journalist.
BBC journalist asked if the Boko Haram are plenty? He said yes they are, the army of 116 soldiers will attack Boko Haram of about 3,000 at that day, that there is a problem. He said that the enemy strength of last year was about 10,000 while his own strength is 400 - 500 and any attack they come they must defeat us due to lack of support weapons he said.
BBC journalist asked him if he could defeat Boko Haram at any time?
he said "Yes, he is a soldier he can do better but logistic fail, weapons fail, morale fail".
BBC journalist asked him of his senior officers, if they are angry of the situation?
he said: "I can't say so, they are not thinking of the soldiers but themselves, i like Nigeria, it is my country i never have any other country to go".
BBC journalist asked him if he will go and fight if necessary?
he said: "Yes, if they bring the necessary things he will, this is my country i can never run to any foolish , let them do the right thing at the right time, we soldiers believe we can do more than what they can do to us";
BBC journalist asked him about the security chief saying they can get rid of Boko Haram within 8 weeks if he agrees?
he said: "kai! I never been agree, i can look but i never blame i never dream that in my mind. Things are wrong that is what i am telling you, that's the truth"
https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/566141845034774528

Someone is lying here; 1976..All these foreign paid agents just want to distablise Nigeria and some of us that can't reason because of hatred are following them blindly. That means everyone after 1976 are guilty?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by UnknownT: 2:27pm On Feb 13, 2015
Ok, I booked this space but along the line, I forgot what I wanted to type. in the absence of any reasonable comment, can I just type GOD BLESS AND PROTECT OUR TROOPS

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by wonlasewonimi: 2:27pm On Feb 13, 2015
Can we check the current budget for defence please?
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by iiichidodo: 2:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
We believe this lends credence to the school of thought championed By Mr President himself that not even a rifle was purchased by past regimes including Buhari's since 1976....and we can also opined that this systmatic weaknening of the Nigerian Army was as a function of those at the helm abrogating power (before GEJ's tenure) to themselves and preempting anyone and/or opposition from agitation or coup.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Thinkr(m): 2:29pm On Feb 13, 2015
kolonigga:
mehnnnn i can't wait for Buhari to take over from this massive corrupt regime. Even after GEJ borrowed $1Billion (N205,550,000,000), soldiers still complaining. He needs to leave asap. i dey vex!!!

SAi BUHARI TO THE RESCUE
On the interview GEJ said they've approved for the 1billion dollars but they've not touched it. They are expected to do the arms deal directly between CBN and the arms company. Pls always watch Local tv stations even though they have bad graphics grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by DaBullIT(m): 2:30pm On Feb 13, 2015
Me thinks it's too late for GEJ

And even if he raises allocation /funds there's still going to be a huge problem

GEJ has to crawl on his chest and knees, kiss Obama's feet and beg for mercy /forgiveness otherwise no country will sell weapons and military hardware to Nigeria

It's better for him to leave

barcanista:
Goodluck Jonathan should take a serious look into the finances of the military. Billions of dollars have been appropriated for defence yet we see our Soldiers lament for non availability of necessary tools. Should Buhari ascend to power, I'm sure he won't hesitate to ensure that the military is in its finest state, and make the servicemen the envy of all.
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Sammiejokes(m): 2:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
darlingtonNYIG:
Now who takes the blame, GEJ or other leaders that refused to modernise the army with new equipment? What did Obasanjo, Buhari, IBB and abacha do when they where in power, rather the en massed wealth from our collective pocket. GEJ is paying the price for failed leadership of the past
nIGERIA WAS NOT AT WAR SO THEY HAD LOW BUDGET, BUT MOST OUR BUDGET IN THE LAST FOUR YEARS HAS DEFENCE TAKING CHUNK OF IT AND NO RESULT EVEN AFTER BORROWING 1BILLION DOLLARS.HAAA JONA DARIZZZZ GODUUUUU OOOO
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by 100Cents: 2:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
Boko haram sympathizers.

I have personally seen convoys of newly imported tanks being transported to the north east via lokoja Abuja highway.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Opiosko: 2:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
kolonigga:
mehnnnn i can't wait for Buhari to take over from this massive corrupt regime. Even after GEJ borrowed $1Billion (N205,550,000,000), soldiers still complaining. He needs to leave asap. i dey vex!!!

SAi BUHARI TO THE RESCUE
What did Buhari did with his 1983 to 1985 defence budget? When GEJ asked that question u called it propaganda. Now, u are selectivly blaming GEJ for the Army that has decayed since 1976?. Buhari did not buy one rifle for the Army -GEJ. Buhari what did u do with ur defence fund?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by ezugegere(m): 2:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
ANOTHER APC SOLDIER. We know better than this! We have seen many new tanks being moved to the north. We have seen new fighter jets and drones being deployed. We have seen new arms and ammunitions. This guy is not a Nigeria soldier but impersonator!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by jeffoe(m): 2:33pm On Feb 13, 2015
Simply put coruption at it peak
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by cjrane: 2:35pm On Feb 13, 2015
kolonigga:
You can listen to the conversation here https://soundcloud.com/bbc-world-service/the-fight-against-boko-haram-a-nigerian-soldier-speaks-out?ocid=socialflow_twitter
These are some of the conversations i wrote down.
BBC journalist asked "when Boko Haram dislodged you, where did you go?"
he said they went back, reinforced and went back again. They requested for reinforcement and they sent 20 men but they refused to come due to lack of weapons they don't have. The 20 men were dismissed from the army. He said they have requested for weapons but in many cases have been refused. He said many women in his barracks are windows, they are suffering. He said Boko Haram fighters are using AA(Anti-Aircraft), RPGs and many support weapons. He said the gun they are using is Kalashnikov(AK-47) while old tanks since 1976. The weapons are very, very old he told the BBC journalist.
BBC journalist asked if the Boko Haram are plenty? He said yes they are, the army of 116 soldiers will attack Boko Haram of about 3,000 at that day, that there is a problem. He said that the enemy strength of last year was about 10,000 while his own strength is 400 - 500 and any attack they come they must defeat us due to lack of support weapons he said.
BBC journalist asked him if he could defeat Boko Haram at any time?
he said "Yes, he is a soldier he can do better but logistic fail, weapons fail, morale fail".
BBC journalist asked him of his senior officers, if they are angry of the situation?
he said: "I can't say so, they are not thinking of the soldiers but themselves, i like Nigeria, it is my country i never have any other country to go".
BBC journalist asked him if he will go and fight if necessary?
he said: "Yes, if they bring the necessary things he will, this is my country i can never run to any foolish , let them do the right thing at the right time, we soldiers believe we can do more than what they can do to us";
BBC journalist asked him about the security chief saying they can get rid of Boko Haram within 8 weeks if he agrees?
he said: "kai! I never been agree, i can look but i never blame i never dream that in my mind. Things are wrong that is what i am telling you, that's the truth"
https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/566141845034774528

I guess if its not excuses about 'old' tanks, it will be 'old' generals.
I am just wondering if Boko haram are using the best US made brand new tanks.
I was also wondering if the Chadians that have bloodied Boko haram in the last few days since entering the conflict are using brand new American tanks.

Truth is that NA has no desire to fight Boko haram. Moles have continued to supply operational info to BH and many sympathetic army commanders have simply abandoned all our weapons and equipment intact so that Boko haram can 'capture' them and re-arm themselves.

I hope President GEJ realizes that he must accept AU military support in order to beat Boko Haram. He simply cannot beat them using NA alone, even if he gives NA all the weapons in American armory.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by DaBullIT(m): 2:37pm On Feb 13, 2015
Good point, but they don't need to sacrifice Americans to this God forsaken government, all they need is a drone,

But then clueless at the top said no more interference, just yesterday PDP's talking drum issued a warning to an American diplomat for poknosing

Nobody wants them to be fair to Nigerian army, we don't need to see the front lines, US has no obligation to sacrifice people for Nigeria

Tell the clueless at the tip to end the reign of terror that he sponsored through his cabinet.

atlwireles:
!976 Tanks? when will these boko harams soldiers stop lying. But boko harams are collecting new weapons from soldiers like this coward, if he is even a soldier at all.

If BBC wants to be fair to the Nigerian army, they will send a camera crew to the NE front lines and show the world, what weapons the Nigerian army is using to persecute this war.

There're BBC reporters in Syria and Iraq, reporting from the front lines, why not send a crew to the NE, let the world see for themselves. Remember 90% of boko haram weapons come from the Nigeria army.
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by dBard: 2:39pm On Feb 13, 2015
Rubbish story from the usual faceless, nameless, unit less Nigerian soldier.
Wat happened to all the recent acquisition..the t72 tanks, mraps, ifvs etc.

Annoying thing is, typical NLanders will not bother to do a lil research but will rather just open their mouths n spew d usual concoction of ignorance and foolishness.

Question is, why is it that the foreign media are so intent on running the Nigerian military down... emphasising the negatives while under reporting the positive, even now when the tide of the battle has turned against the Boko haris

food for thought..

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by tonero92: 2:41pm On Feb 13, 2015
Has any one stopped to ask when this interview was made? People should stop all these lies! If the military is under equipped will apc not have brought heaven down by now?
Google arms received by army recently.... Useless apc e-rats!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by SilentPrince: 2:41pm On Feb 13, 2015
When this insurgency resurfaced in the 2000s, the NA sent the latest weapons it had and those ones where seized by BH. Now in desperate measures they've gone to bring out the ancient ones to fight the battle.

This is what you get when you don't prepare for uprisings.

This is what you get when your selfish agenda comes before your duty to your people.

This is what you get when you lack the charisma to motivate soldiers.

This is what you get when you insult the international community by your disregard for human rights and lack of neutrality in dealing with national issues.

This is what you get when you put the fate of your country in the hands of invisible/non existent dieties.

This is what you get when your are not prepared for leadership, but still want to hang on to power at the expense of everyone else.

This is what you get when your advisers are all clueless.

This is what you get when you are a failure as a leader.
Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by atlwireles: 2:43pm On Feb 13, 2015
DaBullIT:
Good point, but they don't need to sacrifice Americans to this God forsaken government, all they need is a drone,

But then clueless at the top said no more interference, just yesterday PDP's talking drum issued a warning to an American diplomat for poknosing

Nobody wants them to be fair to Nigerian army, we don't need to see the front lines, US has no obligation to sacrifice people for Nigeria

Tell the clueless at the tip to end the reign of terror that he sponsored through his cabinet.

Are you smarter than a primary six pupil, if you are, channel your comment in that direction. undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC by Shoutozone: 2:43pm On Feb 13, 2015
If this is true as claimed by the military, then it's very unfair. we would have seen the end of Boko Haram if our govt channels enough money to get a munitions for our military like the way their (Boko Haram) sponsors do. No wonder our soldiers fall every day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Members Injured In Ipo Omademe In Rivers State (Disturbing Photos) / Seyi Tinubu Did Not Send N15m To Mohbad's Son - Omojuwa / Anambra: INEC Official Arrested For Fake Ballot Papers, Photocopied Result Sheet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.