Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,626 members, 7,820,212 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

Graduates in the UK - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Graduates in the UK (21929 Views)

The Situation Of Graduates In Nigeria (see Photo ) / Are Job Opportunities Opened To Linguistics Graduates In Nigeria? / Job Openings For 4000 Graduates In IBADAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graduates in the UK by somebody(f): 8:49pm On Sep 29, 2006
Arinade, while Ulster university is not a great university(it is 51 in timesonline rankings) it is a lot better than East London uni. I don't know about getting your deposit back if you have already paid. If they don't give you back, don't despair. As I mentioned in an earlier post, just be prepared to work harder than the average person to get a job because you will find yourself in competition with other graduates from top universities. Goodluck with it. About your CV, I won't be able to tell you much even if I see it as I am no HR person. All the best!!
Re: Graduates in the UK by Duwizzle(m): 9:07pm On Sep 29, 2006
Could you fill me in on the HSMP thingy?
Thanks in advance
Re: Graduates in the UK by Duwizzle(m): 9:12pm On Sep 29, 2006
How good is University of East London cos av been offered a place there and I'ld like to know what you know bout em.
Re: Graduates in the UK by somebody(f): 9:30am On Sep 30, 2006
Duwizzle, University of East London is not a very good school although it might have its own strengths, overall it is not considered a top university. Look at the league tables of UK universities, it is one of the lowly ranked UK universities.

I dont know much about HSMP but I believe it is like a work permit which allows you to work for any employer in the UK. You can use the calculator(link below) to determine if you qualify, ALL THE BEST!!
http://www.workpermit.com/uk/hsmp_calculator.htm
Re: Graduates in the UK by Duwizzle(m): 6:53pm On Sep 30, 2006
Somebody,
Thanks a whole lot for your help. Cheers!
Re: Graduates in the UK by Duwizzle(m): 9:38pm On Oct 01, 2006
Somebody,
Please what do you know about Aston University?
Re: Graduates in the UK by somebody(f): 10:59am On Oct 02, 2006
Aston university is a very good university, i think it is in the top 20 and it also has a solid reputation perhaps not as solid as a few others but certainly a good school.
Re: Graduates in the UK by LoverBwoy(m): 1:24pm On Oct 02, 2006
Hey people applying to schools in the U.K the overall list is not exactly the best guide make sure you compare universities according to the specific course you are interested in because some on the top school are rubbish in some courses and are ontop mainly because of tradition and history (some)wink

1 Like

Re: Graduates in the UK by lumeedee: 5:13pm On Oct 02, 2006
hey somebody, av got a masters degree inbiotechnology frm the nottingham trent university and i havent a job yet in the u.k.cud u pls help me?
Thanks
Re: Graduates in the UK by afrikwoman(f): 2:03pm On Oct 03, 2006
smiley hi somebody, i'm a nigerian student and i've just with a 2.1 in marketing. I'm having problems getting a job 'cos of work permit and am seriously considering going back to nig 'cos the stress is too much. Can you help with graduate marketing jobs that help with work permit? Thanks
Re: Graduates in the UK by Duwizzle(m): 7:46pm On Oct 03, 2006
Hey Somebody thanks a lot again. YOu are really helpful. I see you've got a lot on ur plate but wat do you know bout University of Bolton and is it better than East London?
Cheers mate.
Re: Graduates in the UK by omoonile2: 8:29pm On Oct 03, 2006
@ AFRICWOMAN

WHY DON'T YOU APPLY TO COMPANIES WHICH SUPPORT WORKPERMITS IN THE UK. SOME COMPANIES ASK FOR ANY DEGREE DISCIPLINE FOR A PARTICULAR PROGRAMME. EG WITH YOUR MARKETING DEGREE, YOU CAN WORK IN AN ENGINEERING PROGRAMME.

WHICH UNIVERSITY DID YOU GRADUATE FROM? AND WHICH YEAR?
Re: Graduates in the UK by somebody(f): 9:28pm On Oct 04, 2006
omo-onile, I was actually going to say something similar to africwoman that she should not restrict her job search to marketing. However, saying she can apply for an engineering job is quite far-fetched, engineering jobs require engineering graduates.

Afrikwoman, am sure you can apply for management trainee schemes with your marketing degree. I'll see what vacancies I can find that are suitable.
Re: Graduates in the UK by somebody(f): 9:49pm On Oct 04, 2006
I have drawn up a list of companies that take graduates that need work permits. I would try to update the list as time goes by. I groupe dthem under what I think are the more popular routes for gradautes. If your disiciple is not there, please ask and I'll see if I can find anything. Some of these companies tend to take on graduates with any degree disciplines especially the finanace companies. Goodluck to anyone trying.

Engineering:         
Rolls-Royce
BG Group
AMEC
Shell
BP
National Grid
Exxon Mobil
Halliburton (ESG and KBR)

Banking and Finance:
UBS
Citigroup
Lehman Brothers
Morgan Stanley
NHS Graduate Finance Scheme
ABN AMRO
DrkW
Merrill Lynch
JPMorgan
CIBC World Markets
Bear Stearns
WestLB AG
Standard Life Investments
RBC Capital Markets
Bank of America
Barclays Capital

Accounting
KPMG
PWC
Deloitte
Ernst & Young

Consulting
McKinsey
Bain & Co
Mercer Management Consulting

Geology:
Halliburton
Schlumberger
Conoco Phillips
Compaigne Generale de Physique
Re: Graduates in the UK by somebody(f): 9:56pm On Oct 04, 2006
Duwizzle, Bolton university is not much different from UEL in my opinion. These unis might actually be quite good but they are new comapred to the other ones which are very old and established. Below is a link for the ranking so you can see for yourself what schools are ranked better than the others. Please note that the ranking is not the only way to pick a university but it is certainly a safe way to make the right uni choice.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html

On the page, click on the Top Universities league table 2007 for the rankings.
Re: Graduates in the UK by somebody(f): 9:59pm On Oct 04, 2006
lumeedee, what sector are you interested in and what was your first degree?
Re: Graduates in the UK by lumeedee: 6:22pm On Oct 07, 2006
tanx, av got a first degree in botany from university of lagos nd am interested in the pharmaceutical industry
Re: Graduates in the UK by Tzar(m): 9:07pm On Oct 09, 2006
Thanks for this effort to secure employment for nigerians. I have a B.A Philosophy (2.2) University of Ibadan. I'm currently studing for an MBA in FUTA, Nigeria. I'll earn my MBA in June, 2007. I hope to write IATA/UFTAA exams in March 2007. I intend to build a career in logistics/protocol and or aviation/travel and tourism. What are my chances of getting employed in the U.K. Somebody can U assist? I'll gladly take any admin/HR job.
Re: Graduates in the UK by wil4sure: 1:25am On Oct 10, 2006
Buddy, i'm interested! Huk me up especially NGOs& allied organisations jobs. study area: BSc International Relations.
Re: Graduates in the UK by wil4sure: 1:27am On Oct 10, 2006
Buddy, i'm interested! Huk me up especially NGOs& allied organisations jobs. study area: BSc International Relations.
Re: Graduates in the UK by LoverBwoy(m): 12:08pm On Oct 10, 2006
afrikwoman:

smiley hi somebody, i'm a nigerian student and i've just with a 2.1 in marketing. I'm having problems getting a job because of work permit and am seriously considering going back to Nigeria because the stress is too much. Can you help with graduate marketing jobs that help with work permit? Thanks

try this people,they accept application from students that require work permit; HAVE YOU CONSIDERED REVIEWING YOU C.V BY A PROFESSIONAL?

http://doctorjob.com/Employer/View/EmpFactFileView.asp?intEmployerID=630&intAreaOfWorkID=0&intSystemLanguageID=0&params=25,0,0,0,,0,0,0,00000000,00000000,,a,1,1
Re: Graduates in the UK by debbydebs(f): 1:50pm On Oct 10, 2006
thanks 4 ur concern. Me I check the Net often as I'm in search of a job. My discipline is Chemistry. Any good company will serve. Thank u.
Re: Graduates in the UK by pattiano(f): 10:35am On Oct 11, 2006
Hi u guys re really doing a great job here,

I will appreciate if u will link me with job in the uk as a bilingual secretary that is french and english or any relevant job will do i am a graduate of frebch and also an excutive bilingual secretary.

Thanks
Re: Graduates in the UK by 4life(m): 1:13pm On Oct 11, 2006
hi somebody,
If we have some body like u over there that can give us this little confident , i thinks we can go places, I had admission to university of bath for master in elecctrical and electronics engineering but my shortcomings is the finance , is there a way to get sponsour for this admission?I am contemplating of deferring the admission, May be i can sort for scholarship for next year, I need ur advice,
Re: Graduates in the UK by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 11, 2006
@somebody

well this is a bit off topic but here goes
my cousin is in the UK on WHM visa it will expire in december, she applied for a student visa and was refused they asked her to come back to nigeria and apply from here. she's skeptical about being given whilst in Lagos since she still wnts to stay in the UK. Coming back to Nigeria and looking for a job isn't high on her options becasue through work she's supporting her mum and siblings coupled with the fact that she has been out of school for 7 years with no post graduate degree

Any advice on companies that would give work permits? Mind you she has a first degree in Nigeria and she has been working in some credit card company whilst on the WHM visa
Re: Graduates in the UK by toppyok: 5:41pm On Oct 13, 2006
hi guy,nice job please keep it up.so many r benefiting from this n i bet u cant estimate ow many.culd u post vacancies in the fields of of civil engineering (structural,geotechnical,environmental and transportation engineering) and those related to it in the oil and gas.thanks.be you
Re: Graduates in the UK by Ladwilliam(m): 6:47pm On Oct 13, 2006
no need for discrimnation. its the quality of investment you make in your self when you leave school that matters, not whether you left with a BSc or HND
Re: Graduates in the UK by akintoso1(m): 5:06pm On Oct 15, 2006
Hellooo SOMEBEDY,

But this is partial ooo,what about educational postings?I mean teaching vacancies in U.K schools-be it nursery,primary or secondary level?

Let me have your response on this.
Re: Graduates in the UK by LoverBwoy(m): 1:31pm On Oct 16, 2006
http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/becomingateacher/lookingforajob/leavacancies.aspx

teaching
Get the guardian on tuesdays i think they print teaching vacancies
Re: Graduates in the UK by wisdomb: 5:31am On Oct 18, 2006
hi,
can you kindly send in job opportunities in UK, in the areas of sales and marketing,customer services,and telecoms.
regards.
Re: Graduates in the UK by akintoso1(m): 8:35am On Oct 18, 2006
@ LOVERBBOY

U R TOO MUCH, 10Q
Re: Graduates in the UK by somebody(f): 10:10am On Oct 18, 2006
@Loverbwoy, is there an email add I can contact you on. I just noticed that I can't send a private message. Its semi important, Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I'm Being Indicted For Fraud By My Boss Over Google Campaign / Mass Retrenchment In My Place Of Work; Am I Safe? / Justice For Sacked Glo Women Protest In Enugu (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.