Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,050 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? (47906 Views)

Malabu Scandal: House Of Representative To Summon Goodluck Jonathan / Obasanjo's Letter To Senate And House Of Representatives / Senate And Buhari's Body Language - Magnus Oladesu (Vanguard) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by J4parry(m): 4:54pm On Feb 20, 2015
Jarexxx:
haaaa,they shouldn't try that o,you will see fight eeennn

Serious fight o. They won't mind uprooting the gate instead of climbing it again. grin

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by edogho(m): 5:03pm On Feb 20, 2015
blackfase:
I think I hav an answer to that. They are a congregation of clowns, muppets, geezers & grizly nincompoops that came together to exploit and pillage the collective wealth of a nation cos its docile citizens dont have the balls to stop them, but the only difference btwn them is while one chamber, the one filled with the grizly poops are sometimes decorous in the ways they deal and steal, the other bit filled with muppets needs to be strewn with pampers cos of their dull wits.....
Nigerians are indeed docile, unreasonably fearful of d unknown.

what do u expect, when they know no one will talk let alone act?

me don tire for Nigeria and Nigerians jor...

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by benjminPrince(m): 5:09pm On Feb 20, 2015
i tink dis issue is wat a mature individual should b aware of irrespective of our discipline... a big applaud 4 d OP

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Feb 20, 2015
The difference!

The SINate or i think its senate share more loot emm, I mean money!

The Raps, sorry, the reps, share lesser loot, excuse me, money!

Also, the house of rap, fight more than the SINators, and i think it has to with the amount of loot involved.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nicepessie: 5:20pm On Feb 20, 2015
[quote author=soe post=30884487]May i have your attention please.

Nigeria runs what we call a " binocular bicameral legislator"

In other words, the job of one legislative arm is handled by two.

The reason is very simple.

The Senate reflects Equality of states

36 states produce 3 senators, FCT produces 1.
(36*3)+1=109senators with equal power

The House of Reps reflects the equality of every citizen.

In this case, every state is given rep mrmbers based on their actual population. Lagos has one of the highest number of honourables (24), same as kano (24), then bayelsa and nasarawa are the least with 5 seats each before FCT (2 seats). But the total number of honourables is 360.

The senate was created because most states felt cheated based on the population thingy, so we decided to make all states have the equality in the senate.

I hope you understand?

Some one ask differentiate dem!!! Ur now telling us How Dey Cum into place, differentiation means what dis does and what d other does,in respect to their functions!!

Not telling us dis has dis numbers,state and blah blah blah!!!

Wat is d difference BTW d two house!!!

not abuse has one member So So state has two Or mre members that's not Wat u Whr asked!!!
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nicepessie: 5:20pm On Feb 20, 2015
soe:
May i have your attention please.

In other words, the job of one legislative arm is handled by two.

The reason is very simple.

The Senate reflects Equality of states

36 states produce 3 senators, FCT produces 1.
(36*3)+1=109senators with equal power

The House of Reps reflects the equality of every citizen.

In this case, every state is given rep mrmbers based on their actual population. Lagos has one of the highest number of honourables (24), same as kano (24), then bayelsa and nasarawa are the least with 5 seats each before FCT (2 seats). But the total number of honourables is 360.

The senate was created because most states felt cheated based on the population thingy, so we decided to make all states have the equality in the senate.

I hope you understand?

Some one ask differentiate dem!!! Ur now telling us How Dey Cum into place, differentiation means what dis does and what d other does,in respect to their functions!!

not abuse has one member So So state has two Or mre members that's not Wat u Whr asked!!!

Haha ARE u now telling us that numbers ARE d different BTW d two houses!!

And Ppl Whr liking ur comment,this How people copy from others and fail xams.Jst as ten people like ur comment it shows Dat u CULD Hv drive ten plus u to xam failure!!!

for Mi I CULD score you -8(for dragging ur fellow class mate to grave)
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 20, 2015
The Senate has the sole power to confirm ministerial nominees, ambassadorial nominees and service chiefs, heads of the paramilitary agencies, the CBN governor et al; whilst the House doesn't have such powers.
However, both chambers have concurrent oversight powers ie they can equally summon members of the cabinet and other executive officers, except the president's close aides. And they both have to pass Appropriation bills (the budget) before it is sent to the President to sign into law.

Personally, I think there is no need for Nigeria to have a bicameral legislature because it's a major drain on the treasury.

4 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by ibietela2(m): 5:28pm On Feb 20, 2015
Equalizer:

Am as confused as you are bro... I really wanna understand their mode of operations and why do they treat the same issues differently... Why will budget go through the Senate and still pass through the house too.... Please don't we have political scientists or even constitutional lawyers here?

What we have are kids coming here to talk trash

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nicepessie: 5:32pm On Feb 20, 2015
agabusta:

Beautiful explanation. This is what I like about nairaland before political jobbers took over. Intelligent responses to questions. I was among the folks canvassing for scrapping of one of the arms.

But with this your superb explanation, I have changed my mind. I think it is better we retain both. I like the explanation you used about Bayelsa and Kano. Bayelsa has lesser population than Kano but the same number of Senators. But the house of rep corrects this anomaly with Kano having more Reps than Bayelsa. Also Bayelsa has already being compensated for this by having an equal number of senators with Kano.
This is beautiful.

Wat is beautiful abt Wat He Jst said?

d op ask deir different functions and someone started giving u number of Ppl in different chambers ur sayin beautiful, if I may ask beautiful Wat?

@tyms I Jst wonder How WE read and understand tins,d poor education background!!!

D op said d two chambers invited Inec,Why should it b So? Wat ARE d difference BTW d two chambers,d some strtd saying Lagos has blah blah blah members is Dat y d two chambers Hv d rite to invite.

Wat He Or she means is Dat Wat is the power limitation as person d two houses..

Chai people
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by zubby29(m): 5:32pm On Feb 20, 2015
money wasting arms of d govt.i havnt seen anytin dey have done to benefit we d masses

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Hero10001: 5:42pm On Feb 20, 2015
utytill:
They are thieves in diferent names.eg far*uk
The same set of idle bunch of f.u.ck.
Senate is OLE while House of Rep is Olosha.
All of combined are Agbewiri.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 20, 2015
Equalizer:

Can you compare the number of northern senators to that of South? If really they want to maintain the equity status, each zone must have equal number of states...

Nawa 4 u!!!!
The population density of north is it not higher than south. If u are talking of equity, its is even the northerners that are disadvantaged base population density. We are not talking about state here, if we talk about individual representation, u will understand what I mean.

I still canvass for nigerians electing brilliant and honest honorables instead of money bags.
If kano has 44 " emptyskull" rep members and ebonyi state has "12 " brilliant chaps, which of the two states will be better represented?

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by chonchoro(m): 5:54pm On Feb 20, 2015
In fact this is the best I hv come across this year and am learning seriously, good one

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by michkenokey(m): 5:56pm On Feb 20, 2015
Nigeria operates what is called Bicameral legislature. That is, legislative assembly with two chambers. The upper (Senate) & the Lower chamber (House of Reps) generally called the National Assembly. Members of the senate are elected based on the equality of all states I.e 3 senators from each state and 1 from Abuja making them 109 in all.
The House of Reps on the other hand are elected based on the population of the state. For instance Lagos & Kano are the most populated, hence they have 24 each whereas Bayelsa is the least populated and have 6 making a total of 360 in all.
The major functions of the two houses is to pass bills into law. After the senate must have deliberated on a bills up to 3rd reading, the bill will now move to the Lower chamber to pass the same process before sending it to the president for his assent. The essence of this double process was generally to guard against hasty passage of bills. However, this system is more expensive coupled with the fact that Nigeria's law makers are among the highest paid in the world! Again, only the senate are given the function to screen and approve any major appointments made by the president like ministers, INEC chairman, Ambassadors and High Commissioners, Chairman of Boards and other top positions. The House of Reps take charge of minor issues. Finally, the senate are better paid than members of House of Reps.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by AreaFada2: 5:59pm On Feb 20, 2015
CFCfan:
The Senate has the sole power to confirm ministerial nominees, ambassadorial nominees and service chiefs; whilst the House doesn't have such powers.
However, both chambers have concurrent oversight powers ie they can equally summon members of the cabinet and other executive officers, except the president's close aids.

Personally, I think there is no need for Nigeria to have a bicameral legislature because it's a major drain on the treasury.

Nigeria cannot afford a bicameral legislature.

If things are done properly, I can't see Bayelsa with say 6 MPs having problems with Lagos having about 16 MPs in a unicameral legislature.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by olareed(m): 6:01pm On Feb 20, 2015
blackfase:
I think I hav an answer to that. They are a congregation of clowns, muppets, geezers & grizly nincompoops that came together to exploit and pillage the collective wealth of a nation cos its docile citizens dont have the balls to stop them, but the only difference btwn them is while one chamber, the one filled with the grizly poops are sometimes decorous in the ways they deal and steal, the other bit filled with muppets needs to be strewn with pampers cos of their dull wits.....
This is the Patrick Obahiagbon of the House of reps...u can tell us better honourable...

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by JosephineM: 6:02pm On Feb 20, 2015
one is Senathieves and d other Representathieves.... undecided

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by olareed(m): 6:03pm On Feb 20, 2015
edogho:

Nigerians are indeed docile, unreasonably fearful of d unknown.

what do u expect, when they know no one will talk let alone act?

me don tire for Nigeria and Nigerians jor...
go abidjan jor

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Feb 20, 2015
Nicepessie:

Haha ARE u now telling us that numbers ARE d different BTW d two houses!!

And Ppl Whr liking ur comment,this How people copy from others and fail xams.Jst as ten people like ur comment it shows Dat u CULD Hv drive ten plus u to xam failure!!!

for Mi I CULD score you -8(for dragging ur fellow class mate to grave)
Men!!!! Your english and shorthand is one of a kind...

Well... To your issues raised...

They perform the same function. That is the meaning of bicameral..its like "double confirmation"...it does not have to be so, but i tried explaining why we cannot collapse them into one.

So they both have the same functions.. No difference..
Except in some functions such as confirmation of appointments that is done only by the senate...but ofcourse ...it's not a major difference.

4 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by agabusta: 6:05pm On Feb 20, 2015
Nicepessie:

Wat is beautiful abt Wat He Jst said?

d op ask deir different functions and someone started giving u number of Ppl in different chambers ur sayin beautiful, if I may ask beautiful Wat?

@tyms I Jst wonder How WE read and understand tins,d poor education background!!!

D op said d two chambers invited Inec,Why should it b So? Wat ARE d difference BTW d two chambers,d some strtd saying Lagos has blah blah blah members is Dat y d two chambers Hv d rite to invite.

Wat He Or she means is Dat Wat is the power limitation as person d two houses..

Chai people

Why are you beefing now? Just because I gave the guy a commendation, u re hyperventilatin. smiley smiley

Nairaland is one fuuny place one'll find those who don't know, but will egotistically refuse to give kudos to those who know.

And where those who lacks basic comprehension skills will ironically be bad mouthing others for same.

soe:
May i have your attention please.

In other words, the job of one legislative arm is handled by two...

From the excerpt above, this guy categorically inferred that they carry out same functions.

The other parts of his write-up which seem to be the only area u were able to comprehend was just explaining to the OP the basis of having 'a 2-body federal legislature' doing almost same thing.

It is nice response, I gained from it. If you are teachable, i'm sure you would have learnt one or two things from it as well.

He answered the OP that they carry out virtually same functions and then went further to explain to the OP why this duplication seems necessary.

The way and manner you wrote your jargons clearly shows you had a distorted basic education.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Feb 20, 2015
AreaFada2:

Nigeria cannot afford a bicameral legislature.

If things are don properly, I can't see Bayelsa with say 6 MPs having problems with Lagos having about 16 MPs in a unicameral legislature.
I get your point about proportional representation. But I would prefer a slightly different approach.
I would prefer a situation whereby each state is guaranteed, at least, 7 MPs and the FCT would have 3. That will be a total of 255 MPs, as against the current 469 MPs.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by fistonati(m): 6:13pm On Feb 20, 2015
Equalizer:
What's the difference between the Senate and house of Representative? Politically inclined personnel in the house should help me out here cos from what I can observe from here is that they both perform the same function which doesn't make sense.. E.g Senate summons Jega today and Tomorrow you will hear again that House of Reps want to summon the INEC boss on the same issue.. please I need to be clarified here..
The senate is tje upper chamber as decribed by d constitution while d other one is lower chamber bt they're both to represent d masses interest. U can consult govt textbook, our constitution and d internet 4 more.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by teemy(m): 6:24pm On Feb 20, 2015
from my own point of view this pipolar legislative system still leads to wastage. time could be saved in passing bills and the cost of running would be lesser if just one house has an equal 15 seats per state. the number is not too low for big states
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Reference(m): 6:25pm On Feb 20, 2015
agabusta:

Beautiful explanation. This is what I like about nairaland before political jobbers took over. Intelligent responses to questions. I was among the folks canvassing for scrapping of one of the arms.

But with this your superb explanation, I have changed my mind. I think it is better we retain both. I like the explanation you used about Bayelsa and Kano. Bayelsa has lesser population than Kano but the same number of Senators. But the house of rep corrects this anomaly with Kano having more Reps than Bayelsa. Also Bayelsa has already being compensated for this by having an equal number of senators with Kano.
This is beautiful.

My friend it is not pretty. A good paint job on a defective structure is useless. It will all come down one day. What you see in the House is the crucible of corruption. The melting pot of compromises. The Lower House is founded on the fraud called census (Boko Haram insurgency has proven the sheer number of aliens bolstering the north's population), the Upper House is founded on the lie called 'equal number of federating units (when the South-East has fewer states in its zone).

My friend can you see how socio-political imbalances and injustice is costing us dearly in cash and kind and how it leads to corruptive compromises to seek rebalances like an adult and kid on opposite sides of a see-saw.

Have you ever asked yourself why there is barely any debate there and arguments are always on personal grounds and benefits and why the opposition and ruling party members appear the same in attitude, approach, disposition, morality, etc. No difference. In other countries the greatest divides in ideologies and approach between political parties occur amongst law makers. Worldwide legislature is always fractured, heated. Here it is padi-padi all the time. The system is not working well. It is structurally deficient. The Nigerian state is. It is not beautiful. It is draped in black mourning apparel.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Crieff(m): 6:33pm On Feb 20, 2015
agabusta:

Why are you beefing now? Just because I gave the guy a commendation, u re hyperventilatin. smiley smiley

Nairaland is one fuuny place one'll find those who don't know, but will egotistically refuse to give kudos to those who know.

And where those who lacks basic comprehension skills will ironically be bad mouthing others for same.

From the excerpt above, this guy categorically inferred that they carry out same functions.

The other parts of his write-up which seem to be the only area u were able to comprehend was just explaining to the OP the basis of having 'a 2-body federal legislature' doing almost same thing.

It is nice response, I gained from it. If you are teachable, i'm sure you would have learnt one or two things from it as well.

He answered the OP that they carry out virtually same functions and then went further to explain to the OP why this duplication seems necessary.

The way and manner you wrote your jargons clearly shows you had a distorted basic education.

Understanding is very rare. Emptiness and loudness go together.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Ephemmm: 6:40pm On Feb 20, 2015
Both are legislative house - Upper chamber and lower chamber.

Upper chamber is called House of Senate, while Lower Chamber is called House of Representatives.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by teebidap: 6:41pm On Feb 20, 2015
patrickmuf:
Another good reason here...
if reps dont make law then what do they make...
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by AreaFada2: 6:42pm On Feb 20, 2015
CFCfan:

I get your point about proportional representation. But I would prefer a slightly different approach.
I would prefer a situation whereby each state is guaranteed, at least, 7 MPs and the FCT would have 3. That will be a total of 255 MPs, as against the current 469 MPs.
That makes sense. More than about 250 MPs is sheer waste of time & money.

Instead of a second chamber, something like National Council/NC (like the German Bundesrat) instead of current Council of State parading former coup plotters.

NC Comprising the President, VP, current Supreme court chief Justice, Federal Attorney- General, every state gov & FCT minister and possibly 2 other reps from each state. Can be deputy govs & state attorneys-general.

This NC can deliberate on laws passed by the Federal parliament before presidential assent in certain areas and some other specific functions.

Just to ensure that the unicameral parliament is doing its job in a balanced way. To meet once monthly. Nobody should be paid extra to do this, as all are already paid by the state. Except where the president summons the NC in emergency, when sitting expenses can be paid.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
am enjoying this......
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by teebidap: 6:51pm On Feb 20, 2015
noblezone:
The difference!

The SINate or i think its senate share more loot emm, I mean money!

The Raps, sorry, the reps, share lesser loot, excuse me, money!

Also, the house of rap, fight more than the SINators, and i think it has to with the amount of loot involved.

noble u don finish me for here lol......

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Meiji(m): 6:52pm On Feb 20, 2015
soe:

Men!!!! Your english and shorthand is one of a kind...

Well... To your issues raised...

They perform the same function. That is the meaning of bicameral..its like "double confirmation"...it did not have to be so, but i tried explaining why we cannot collapse them into one.

So they both have the same functions.. No difference..
Except in some functions such as confirmation of appointments that is done only by the senate...but ofcourse ...it's not a major difference.

You were able to read what he typed? Wow.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Soldiers Kill Ijaw Militant With Juju Who Came To Attack Aladja In Delta (Graphi / Peter Obi Booked Jet For A 95-Year-Old Man Who Missed His Flight (Video) / How IG Of Police, DSS Planned Nnamdi Kanu’s Arrest For Months— Military Sources

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.