Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? (47898 Views)

Malabu Scandal: House Of Representative To Summon Goodluck Jonathan / Obasanjo's Letter To Senate And House Of Representatives / Senate And Buhari's Body Language - Magnus Oladesu (Vanguard) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Feb 20, 2015
agabusta:

Beautiful explanation. This is what I like about nairaland before political jobbers took over. Intelligent responses to questions. I was among the folks canvassing for scrapping of one of the arms.

But with this your superb explanation, I have changed my mind. I think it is better we retain both. I like the explanation you used about Bayelsa and Kano. Bayelsa has lesser population than Kano but the same number of Senators. But the house of rep corrects this anomaly with Kano having more Reps than Bayelsa. Also Bayelsa has already being compensated for this by having an equal number of senators with Kano.
This is beautiful.

Can you compare the number of northern senators to that of South? If really they want to maintain the equity status, each zone must have equal number of states...

4 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Tolexander: 3:26pm On Feb 20, 2015
agabusta:

But they impeached Clinton then, and he still served his term out. Is that not an indication that their upper house can also 'technically impeach'?? Because I heard the senate did not impeach him was what made him to complete his tenure.

only the lower house can impeach.

After the impeachment exercise by the house of representative by the majority, the senate makes the trial with the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court presiding on the trial. If the President is convicted by two-third majority, the president will be removed.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by adebrave1(m): 4:04pm On Feb 20, 2015
One has green seat and the other has red seat.

Similarities, they are both looters.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Feb 20, 2015
They all get paid grin
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by SHAIBULIAR: 4:06pm On Feb 20, 2015
No diffelence,both of them are thieves
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 20, 2015
The house of reps represent the lower house, while the senate represents the upper house. . . . any decision or bill passed by the house of reps will have to go through the senate before being sent to the executive. . . . . .Just like High Court > Appeal Court > Supreme Court.

They call it bicameral legislature which is too expensive to run. . . . .scrap the senate and lets work with only house of reps abeg.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Caracta(f): 4:11pm On Feb 20, 2015
teemanbastos:
senate earns more and mur powerful bt. Less intrextinq.
House of reps, na here FIGHT dy happen always..i enjoy dia proceedinqs..grin grin grin grin

Honestly, Senate house is soooo boring, unlike house of Reps.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Oildichotomy(m): 4:12pm On Feb 20, 2015
The difference should be
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Louislewis: 4:12pm On Feb 20, 2015
[size=16pt]The difference between them is in their spelling. Their similarities are bench warming, throwing blows, climbing fence and stealing...[/size]

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by link2jude(m): 4:13pm On Feb 20, 2015
Ask Google

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by LewisO: 4:15pm On Feb 20, 2015
Still same! *Birds of a feathers* undecided

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 20, 2015
DON & THE CAPONE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by eazisky(m): 4:17pm On Feb 20, 2015
senators are d law makers, they are known as higher chambers, representatives are lower chambers, they dont make laws

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nature129(m): 4:19pm On Feb 20, 2015
I think the house of reps has more functions than the senate. In addition to doing vritually everything the senate does, they also checkmate the activities of the senate while the senate directly checmates the power of the executive
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by patrickmuf(m): 4:22pm On Feb 20, 2015
soe:
May i have your attention please.

Nigeria runs what we call a " binocular bicameral legislator"

In other words, the job of one legislative arm is handled by two.

The reason is very simple.

The Senate reflects Equality of states

36 states produce 3 senators, FCT produces 1.
(36*3)+1=109senators with equal power

The House of Reps reflects the equality of every citizen.

In this case, every state is given rep mrmbers based on their actual population. Lagos has one of the highest number of honourables (24), same as kano (24), then bayelsa and nasarawa are the least with 5 seats each before FCT (2 seats). But the total number of honourables is 360.

The senate was created because most states felt cheated based on the population thingy, so we decided to make all states have the equality in the senate.

I hope you understand?

Aptly put but I think the difference is reflected in the size of constituents they're representing thus a senator is naturally more power...Can't think of any other difference...

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by patrickmuf(m): 4:22pm On Feb 20, 2015
eazisky:
senators are d law makers, they are known as higher chambers, representatives are lower chambers, they dont make laws
Another good reason here...
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Feb 20, 2015
eazisky:
So why are they there?
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 20, 2015
soe:
May i have your attention please.

Nigeria runs what we call a " binocular bicameral legislator"

In other words, the job of one legislative arm is handled by two.

The reason is very simple.

The Senate reflects Equality of states

36 states produce 3 senators, FCT produces 1.
(36*3)+1=109senators with equal power

The House of Reps reflects the equality of every citizen.

In this case, every state is given rep mrmbers based on their actual population. Lagos has one of the highest number of honourables (24), same as kano (24), then bayelsa and nasarawa are the least with 5 seats each before FCT (2 seats). But the total number of honourables is 360.

The senate was created because most states felt cheated based on the population thingy, so we decided to make all states have the equality in the senate.

I hope you understand?

Abeg, who those 24 people dey rep for lagos and how them take allocate LCDA to them?

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by niggi4life(m): 4:25pm On Feb 20, 2015
The funniest part is that 70% of these politicians vying for the posts don't know all these!!!!!!

8 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Elfenomeno(m): 4:28pm On Feb 20, 2015
Equalizer:
What's the difference between the Senate and house of Representative? Politically inclined personnel in the house should help me out here cos from what I can observe from here is that they both perform the same function which doesn't make sense.. E.g Senate summons Jega today and Tomorrow you will hear again that House of Reps want to summon the INEC boss on the same issue.. please I need to be clarified here..

OP, i haven't made any comment here for over a year now but your post caught my attention,

According to the Living US Constitution by Saul K Padover which I read over 14 years ago. A member of the house of representative represents the people of his constituency at the congress whereas a senator represents the state. According to that book, there are differences in the functions of the two, however, our own system may differ from that of the US.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Feb 20, 2015
Good submissions guys... Thumbs up..... Keep the comments rolling in cos the presidency is following this post..
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Penssuwa(m): 4:34pm On Feb 20, 2015
In addition, both houses have specially assigned works. For instance, the senate is empowered to confirm some federal appointments, which includes, appointment of Chief justice & Justices of Supreme Court, President of Court of appeal, Chief Judges of Federal High Courts, Ministers etc

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by toluene2016(m): 4:35pm On Feb 20, 2015
Equalizer:

Am as confused as you are bro... I really wanna understand their mode of operations and why do they treat the same issues differently... Why will budget go through the Senate and still pass through the house too.... Please don't we have political scientists or even constitutional lawyers here?

political scientists or even constitutional lawyers- they've taken cover...lol

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by dgr8truth(m): 4:36pm On Feb 20, 2015
The senate only has the right to confirm/screen nominated appointees of the executives.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Kunleskey(m): 4:39pm On Feb 20, 2015
Can't stop laughing.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by armadeo(m): 4:46pm On Feb 20, 2015
Do they themselves know the difference.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Symphony007: 4:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
Very complex but basically the perform distinct functions, the senate has exclusive preserve over foreign policy, ratification of treaties and the approval of presidential nominees in the federal government. While the house has exclusive preserve over money bills, only they can pass a budget...the senate concurs, only they can impeach the president, only they can appropriate supplementary budgets..infact they are the purse keepers of the nation amongst others. these are a few differences but due to the immaturity of the Nigerian government. You can't tell that is why a unicameral legislature can still work and will be more cheaper.

5 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Bimdim(m): 4:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
utytill:
They are thieves in diferent names.eg far*uk
Yeah u're very right. Thieve in deffent names.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by bogolobango(m): 4:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
Senator oo rep oo adigun jale ni gbogbo won joor

5 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Jarexxx(m): 4:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
Equalizer:
Can't the two chambers be merged as one house? Maybe the seats will now have combination of two colours(red and green)... hahahaha..
haaaa,they shouldn't try that o,you will see fight eeennn

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by J4parry(m): 4:52pm On Feb 20, 2015
One of the best thread so far this year.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oshodi Crisis; NURTW Executives, MC Oluomo, Koko, Talo Settle Their Rift. Photos / Muhammadu Buhari Among The Most Tweeted World Leaders At The UN General Summit / Newspaper Headline From The 80s About NEPA, Must See.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.