Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,862 members, 7,813,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? (47896 Views)

Malabu Scandal: House Of Representative To Summon Goodluck Jonathan / Obasanjo's Letter To Senate And House Of Representatives / Senate And Buhari's Body Language - Magnus Oladesu (Vanguard) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Biggty(m): 9:14pm On Feb 20, 2015
The difference is the color of there seat and the house of Representatives is more lively.

They have one thing in common which is looting

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by crowther15(m): 10:12pm On Feb 20, 2015
with little knowledge I acquired in Pos111 and Pos114
both are collectively called Legislative.(bi cameral)........... senate is upper chamber while the House of rep is lower chamber. this name vary from one country to another in Us the lower is house of common and upper is house of Lord.......same as Britain
the second type of legislative is Uni cameral with just one legislative chamber while bi cameral is two legislative chamber which Nigeria and Us are using. U cannot be a member of house of rep at d same time member of senate ..... just summary thou may be it can be of helpful

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by KENFERDYOORI(m): 11:05pm On Feb 20, 2015
LordMecuzy:
me self dey confused
Is a matter of "Legislative Precedence" just like we have the House of Lords and the House of Comon in Britain.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Kajiang02(m): 11:14pm On Feb 20, 2015
Caracta:

Honestly, Senate house is soooo boring, unlike house of Reps.

Lol. Honestly, you be real character. How body?
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by daveP(m): 12:30am On Feb 21, 2015
kestolove95:
guy if dem. catch u...u on ur own
iffahear! grin

I like some of green members though irrespective of partyism grin someone like Hon Abike Dabiri. Influential in diasporal matters(adjusts holding mic) she she she(hesitates then discovers crowd arent responding to every comment made-basketmouth calls it "dem fall your hand"wink

(crowd ooohs in boredom)

me: okay okay. I take my leave, and since i cant be caught...... grin il simply laugh it off.

Only Money makes men sweat under a well, fully air-conditioned auditorium!

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by curiouses: 12:44am On Feb 21, 2015
Tolexander:
how va bro, long time.

I am good sir...I am very much around in three different bodies. I am now following you.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 8:18am On Feb 21, 2015
mrofficial:

It's available on Google Play Store, BlackBerry Appworld and Apple App Store.
guy dont feel fulfild 4 dat coz even if u have it,its still very confusin 2 u d citizen n i pray u dnt get into anytin dat will make dem bring it out 4 u coz u will nt win
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by Nobody: 8:21am On Feb 21, 2015
Brimmie:
^^ Lol..

Their mode of Stealing and color of their seats.

A lot of things need to be done to start a New Nigeria we all clamouring for.

IMO, The Senate should be scraped. Bunch of thieves, always feeling pompous. The House of Rep is more effective than The Senate.
bro sincerely speakin its dis presidential system of govt dats d prob of d country,if truely we respect d british dem y not adopt deir system too,dese old hags sleepin n snorin on seats n lootin d country's treasures

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by edogho(m): 1:39pm On Feb 21, 2015
olareed:
go abidjan jor

angry angry
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by DOD1: 2:09pm On Feb 22, 2015
soe:
May i have your attention please.

Nigeria runs what we call a " binocular bicameral legislator"

In other words, the job of one legislative arm is handled by two.

The reason is very simple.

The Senate reflects Equality of states

36 states produce 3 senators, FCT produces 1.
(36*3)+1=109senators with equal power

The House of Reps reflects the equality of every citizen.

In this case, every state is given rep mrmbers based on their actual population. Lagos has one of the highest number of honourables (24), same as kano (24), then bayelsa and nasarawa are the least with 5 seats each before FCT (2 seats). But the total number of honourables is 360.

The senate was created because most states felt cheated based on the population thingy, so we decided to make all states have the equality in the senate.

I hope you understand?

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by DOD1: 2:12pm On Feb 22, 2015
curiouses:

Bicameral legislature, right?

So what you are saying is upper house was created because people felt cheated by population system used in electing house of representative's members?
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by ArcToyin(m): 10:57am On Feb 23, 2015
agabusta:

Beautiful explanation. This is what I like about nairaland before political jobbers took over. Intelligent responses to questions. I was among the folks canvassing for scrapping of one of the arms.

But with this your superb explanation, I have changed my mind. I think it is better we retain both. I like the explanation you used about Bayelsa and Kano. Bayelsa has lesser population than Kano but the same number of Senators. But the house of rep corrects this anomaly with Kano having more Reps than Bayelsa. Also Bayelsa has already being compensated for this by having an equal number of senators with Kano.
This is beautiful.
if is on the case of equality, let the lower house be scraped out sonce they both perform the same function.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by agabusta: 12:11pm On Feb 23, 2015
ArcToyin:

if is on the case of equality, let the lower house be scraped out sonce they both perform the same function.

The implication of that is that the areas that has more population will not have a representation that measures up. Imagine Ekiti state with 1.6m people having equal representation at the National Assembly with a Lagos with 12m people. If one is to be scrapped, it should be the senate. The House of Rep is closer to the people and are more vocal in representing the people than the senate. The senators seems to far away from the people they are representing- they sort of seem elitist.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by laliga01: 6:48pm On Jul 28, 2017
agabusta:

Beautiful explanation. This is what I like about nairaland before political jobbers took over. Intelligent responses to questions. I was among the folks canvassing for scrapping of one of the arms.

But with this your superb explanation, I have changed my mind. I think it is better we retain both. I like the explanation you used about Bayelsa and Kano. Bayelsa has lesser population than Kano but the same number of Senators. But the house of rep corrects this anomaly with Kano having more Reps than Bayelsa. Also Bayelsa has already being compensated for this by having an equal number of senators with Kano.
This is beautiful.

These doesn't seem beautiful to me. It is duplicate of functions and more expenses to the nation at the detriment of the masses. I think it should be merged with equal amount of represention irrespective of state size.
The nation spend about 150billion annually to keep these guys happy for doing the same job.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by laliga01: 6:50pm On Jul 28, 2017
agabusta:

The implication of that is that the areas that has more population will not have a representation that measures up. Imagine Ekiti state with 1.6m people having equal representation at the National Assembly with a Lagos with 12m people. If one is to be scrapped, it should be the senate. The House of Rep is closer to the people and are more vocal in representing the people than the senate. The senators seems to far away from the people they are representing- they sort of seem elitist.

How can you say lower chamber members are closer to the people when both upper n lower chamber resides in Abuja.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? by laliga01: 7:10pm On Jul 28, 2017
Martins301:
The house of reps represent the lower house, while the senate represents the upper house. . . . any decision or bill passed by the house of reps will have to go through the senate before being sent to the executive. . . . . .Just like High Court > Appeal Court > Supreme Court.

They call it bicameral legislature which is too expensive to run. . . . .scrap the senate and lets work with only house of reps abeg.

My question is who have the power to scrap either of the chamber?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka: Buhari Is Not In Charge Of Aso Rock. Gambari An Abacha Man / Okenla Oluseyi Beats Helen Onoja, Junior Police Officer In Enugu / See The Moment Saraki Arrived Polling Unit To Vote

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.