Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,722 members, 7,809,740 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:09 PM

Where Are Nigerians In Australia . - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Where Are Nigerians In Australia . (235649 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / Can Students Work To Pay Tuition In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by TMoni1(m): 2:19pm On Nov 23, 2012
manmeta: Dear all,

I've been following this thread for a while. I was granted my Independent Skilled Visa a couple of months ago. Just a word of advice for intending and serious migrants: The whole process can be very easy and short if you take your time to first understand all that is required, otherwise, it could be confusing. Get all your paper work ready first. I did my IELTS in Sept. last year, got my qualifications assessed in December and submitted my application in Feb. I was notified to do my medicals and penal clearance in May and in Sept. I was granted visa, just 7 months after my application was submitted!

I would advise you to invest time in knowing all what is required of you first. Having a full understanding of this will make the process faster and easier.

All the best.

congrats bro...which of the cities are you coming to?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Veneka: 1:43pm On Nov 28, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am very interested in migrating to Perth. Could y'all please tell me what the job opportunities are like in Perth? I have been researching the issue on the internet, but I keep getting mixed opinons; some say it is terribly hard to get a job in Perth, while others say it's not. Please help, as it would help me in making my decision.

Thanks...
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 29, 2012
Veneka: Hello everyone,

I am very interested in migrating to Perth. Could y'all please tell me what the job opportunities are like in Perth? I have been researching the issue on the internet, but I keep getting mixed opinons; some say it is terribly hard to get a job in Perth, while others say it's not. Please help, as it would help me in making my decision.

Thanks...

What kind of job are you looking for?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Veneka: 2:23pm On Nov 29, 2012
jennykadry:

What kind of job are you looking for?

Thank you for replying. I will generally be looking for something in the office administration/logistics field. I will also be open to retraining in a field that might give me better opportunities. Is it very expensive to go back to school as a Permanent resident? Are there government programs and loans to help cover educational expenses?

Thanks once again...
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 29, 2012
It is a lot cheaper studying as a permanent resident than as international student. It costs less than 10000AUD/year in many schools to study medicine as a permanent resident which to me is very cheap. Compared to an international student that pays 55000AUD per year. Curtin University perth charged over 10000 AUD for nursing for international student per semester but permanent residence pay just over 3,000 per semester with a lot of scholarships and icnentives for those that want to study nursing- I know about the scholarship because I have friends who keep me up to date.

Are you a PR or international student?

3 Likes

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Veneka: 3:13pm On Nov 29, 2012
jennykadry: It is a lot cheaper studying as a permanent resident than as international student. It costs less than 10000AUD/year in many schools to study medicine as a permanent resident which to me is very cheap. Compared to an international student that pays 55000AUD per year. Curtin University perth charged over 10000 AUD for nursing for international student per semester but permanent residence pay just over 3,000 per semester with a lot of scholarships and icnentives for those that want to study nursing- I know about the scholarship because I have friends who keep me up to date.

Are you a PR or international student?

PR...Glad you brought up nursing. I was looking at retraining for something in the health sector, but I don't know if my system quite agrees with nursing (don't quite think I'd survive it...lol). How is Physiotherapy? Are they in big demand? Also while in school, is it possible to work on the side so as to stay afloat (pay bills and what not)

Thanks again.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 29, 2012
Ina a hospital, they could have only maybe 5 physiotherapist working there but in a hospital there could have over 100 nursing staff working and still advertising for more. If you want to get a job quick, then go for whats in demand. A nurse I guess can get a job here anyday anytime without stress, a physiotherapist can but how many health facilities can employ a lot of physio's? Physio's are on demand don't get me wrong but I just don't think the government goes crazy for them as they do with doctors and nurses
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 29, 2012
AS a PR you have no work limits so yes you can work and study at the same time. No big deal
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Veneka: 3:35pm On Nov 29, 2012
jennykadry: Ina a hospital, they could have only maybe 5 physiotherapist working there but in a hospital there could have over 100 nursing staff working and still advertising for more. If you want to get a job quick, then go for whats in demand. A nurse I guess can get a job here anyday anytime without stress, a physiotherapist can but how many health facilities can employ a lot of physio's? Physio's are on demand don't get me wrong but I just don't think the government goes crazy for them as they do with doctors and nurses

jennykadry: AS a PR you have no work limits so yes you can work and study at the same time. No big deal

Thanks a lot. The advice is much appreciated!
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by manmeta: 7:48pm On Dec 25, 2012
T.Moni:

congrats bro...which of the cities are you coming to?

Thanks bro. Apologies for this late response. I'm just getting to read this. I'm looking at Sydney or Brisbane. Most likely Sydney.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by ezeri(m): 6:17am On Dec 29, 2012
Hi every one...
Am Austine new to the country on visa-309 subclass well really most say am luck with my kind of visa but still very need to be careful as well...I stay in Sdyney Liverpool with my wife and her parent they are very nice and wonderful people to me been really enjoying my time here in Australia......Well is funny to me that since i have been here i have not seen any Nigeria that is really funny to me and went to the Africa store could not find all i need to make a good soup....lol i know it will be hard but at the same time i need to be here too am happy with my wife and will never forget where i am from......will be going to church on Sunday hope to see a Nigeria to even say hello too.... already i have started looking for jobs already but everywhere is close will jan next year, if anyone have any advice for me please i will be really happy and will take them very real....Thanks everyone
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by manmeta: 10:48pm On Feb 09, 2013
@jennykadry:
Hello Ma. I'd be moving with my family from Nigeria to Australia in a couple of weeks from now. Could you please advise on the types of food items we'd come along with that would give us no stress with border security/custom services?

I'd appreciate your soonest response Ma.

Thanks and God bless.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by manmeta: 10:34am On Feb 11, 2013
@jennykadry:
Hello Ma. I'd be moving with my family from Nigeria to Australia in a
couple of weeks from now. Could you please advise on the types of food
items we'd come along with that would give us no stress with border
security/custom services?

I'd appreciate your soonest response Ma.

Thanks and God bless.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by fendorf(m): 4:55pm On Feb 12, 2013
@ manmeta...my wife is a nurse.pls let me know all the documents u submitted and how did u get them assessed?thanks
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by manmeta: 7:45pm On Feb 12, 2013
fendorf: @ manmeta...my wife is a nurse.pls let me know all the documents u submitted and how did u get them assessed?thanks

Let me have your email ID. Are you or your wife going to be the primary applicant? In any case, I'd advise you first of all peruse the information on the Australian immigration website: www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

Start from there. And if you need additional info, you may get back to me. It's all easy if you take your time to digest the requirements first.

All the best.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by fendorf(m): 9:56pm On Feb 12, 2013
@manmeta...thanks for the quick response.my wife is the primary applicant,please like how much did you spend on the process and how much do we need to have in our account?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by fendorf(m): 9:57pm On Feb 12, 2013
@manmeta...thanks for the quick response.my wife is the primary applicant,please like how much did you spend on the process and how much do we need to have in our account?fendorf2003@yahoo.com
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by manmeta: 6:36am On Feb 13, 2013
fendorf: @manmeta...thanks for the quick response.my wife is the primary applicant,please like how much did you spend on the process and how much do we need to have in our account?fendorf2003@yahoo.com

I have sent you an email.

However, I'd stress the need again to first of all read through the
immigration web pages. That'd help a lot and make you streamline and
ask the most pertinent questions.

All the best.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 1:14pm On Feb 13, 2013
Come with the following and make sure you grind them to powder form: egusi, Ogbono, dried fish , cray fish, pepper soup ingredients, poundo, infact everything's you can get as long as they are declared and grinded.

Please do not forget to chatter knorr. Last November We bought a carton of knorr cheesy

Where in Australia are you coming to? Are you on 189 visa? also if you need me urgently, you will find me on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1032530/general-australian-student-visa-enquiries/18

I am always there, I hardly visit this thread.

Ps please darling, make sure you declare all your food stuff, they have never ceased any of my food stuff here cos we all declare everything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 13, 2013
manmeta:

Let me have your email ID. Are you or your wife going to be the primary applicant? In any case, I'd advise you first of all peruse the information on the Australian immigration website: www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

Start from there. And if you need additional info, you may get back to me. It's all easy if you take your time to digest the requirements first.

All the best.

I agree.

Truth is, some people refuse to do a little home work for themselves and expect others to do the work for them. A lot of my family members have migrated here and all it took was a few hours on the Internet going through the Imigration website cos everything is there for you to see and read for yourself, just sit down and concentrate and you will be fine. I remember someone asking me on the romance section how much a student visa cost? undecided it's there on their site just go there and read.

It's okay to ask questions all I ask is that people come already equipped and challenge me with the ideas they gathered from researching about Australia and the visa they want.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by manmeta: 5:12pm On Feb 13, 2013
jennykadry: Come with the following and make sure you grind them to powder form: egusi, Ogbono, dried fish , cray fish, pepper soup ingredients, poundo, infact everything's you can get as long as they are declared and grinded.

Please do not forget to chatter knorr. Last November We bought a carton of knorr cheesy

Where in Australia are you coming to? Are you on 189 visa? also if you need me urgently, you will find me on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1032530/general-australian-student-visa-enquiries/18

I am always there, I hardly visit this thread.

Ps please darling, make sure you declare all your food stuff, they have never ceased any of my food stuff here cos we all declare everything.

At last you replied. Pheeew! lol. I'll catch up with you on the thread abovementioned. Thanks, Auntie Jenny.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by humblepie: 7:16pm On Feb 13, 2013
Trega4real@yahoo.com....I'm on d coast sis mind to ask u few questions a ..my email plss..God bless

@londoner]^^^^Agree 100%.... the restrictions apply to all and rightly so imo.

The difference is when applying for a visa of any kind, countries are categorised by risk.........Africa, Asia etc are seen as higher risk when co,pared to the UK or US for example.

Someone from say France is not likely to be running from their country and would as a last resort return ho,e rather than overstay as an illegal. Although some Europeans such as the Irish are known to be over stayers in Australia.

They often bring the skills or fill in the employment gaps present in Australia. In fact the Australian government of Victoria is actively seeking to employ the Irish and are actually going to Ireland to do so.....giving visa's on the spot in some cases.

It is reputation and the news coming out of some continents that may be to blame......but I still feel that if you can not abide by the Aussie laws and put behind you some of the kony kony ways of Nigeria....please don't come here.

You will only make the situation worse for upright Nigerians wishing to come here after you.[/quote]
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by hwelye: 5:38pm On Feb 28, 2013
Got a firm offer from uni of sydney, paid my fees by the deadline, 23 jan, got my CoE on the 28th. Applied on the 8th, was told i'd be contacted for medicals, that didnt come. Contacted pretoria myself, then told to go ahead with the medicals. That was done a week ago. From vfs abuja was told the whole thing would take a month, now i'm hearing stories beyond my resumption, 10th march. Never had such experience and this is quite frustrating. Thought the new thing all over their website is to make it easier, but this doesn't sound different from the older posts of 2011 that i'm reading on this string. Then what's new and why is vfs posting 30days in abuja?
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 5:49pm On Feb 28, 2013
hwelye: Got a firm offer from uni of sydney, paid my fees by the deadline, 23 jan, got my CoE on the 28th. Applied on the 8th, was told i'd be contacted for medicals, that didnt come. Contacted pretoria myself, then told to go ahead with the medicals. That was done a week ago. From vfs abuja was told the whole thing would take a month, now i'm hearing stories beyond my resumption, 10th march. Never had such experience and this is quite frustrating. Thought the new thing all over their website is to make it easier, but this doesn't sound different from the older posts of 2011 that i'm reading on this string. Then what's new and why is vfs posting 30days in abuja?

Easy it will come.What do u mean firm offer...scholarship? You can contact ur case officer on the visa and ur impeding start date. Which hospital did you do the medicals. I plan to do medicals b4 being asked to.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by hwelye: 7:30pm On Feb 28, 2013
no, firm offer is after sending your original documents to the university for verification. And the medicals was at zankli medical center at utako, abuja. My case officer isn't helping at all. Still stating 3 weeks after my medicals for a possible conclusion, after the already said time. Plus i've sent my details of resumption and deadline. What can i do
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 10:12pm On Feb 28, 2013
hwelye: no, firm offer is after sending your original documents to the university for verification. And the medicals was at zankli medical center at utako, abuja. My case officer isn't helping at all. Still stating 3 weeks after my medicals for a possible conclusion, after the already said time. Plus i've sent my details of resumption and deadline. What can i do

Just be calm.You have done ur bit.Worst case scenario, you defer to July start date.I want to start my application in November 2013 against February 2014 start date to create enough time to avoid visa hypertension. I guess there must be another medicals place in lagos.Can u remember the amount? Just be yourself and not beside yourself.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by hwelye: 10:02am On Mar 01, 2013
There's Dr. A A Fatayi-williams clinic on bankole street and st. Nicholas hospital on campbell street
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 01, 2013
hwelye: There's Dr. A A Fatayi-williams clinic on bankole street and st. Nicholas hospital on campbell street

Thanks. Still squeeze in the amt for me.Am documenting costs and trying to earmark.Now I know those of Vfs,Tuition for CoE,Embassy fees,IELTS and Passport(Renewal).Still let us know when ur event changes.Thanks!
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by hwelye: 9:53am On Mar 02, 2013
In abuja, it 46k. Don't forget health insurance. Cheers
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 02, 2013
hwelye: In abuja, it 46k. Don't forget health insurance. Cheers

Thanks, I will include the health insurance. Am thankful of ur inputs.Now let's wait on ur visa arrival.
Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by babsharon(m): 10:43am On Mar 02, 2013
manmeta:

I have sent you an email.

However, I'd stress the need again to first of all read through the
immigration web pages. That'd help a lot and make you streamline and
ask the most pertinent questions.

All the best.

Manmeta. Pls I need your advise on How †̥o migrate †̥o Australia through PR. I have b.sc in Accounting here in Nigeria with 3 years working experience. My e-mail is s_sadiku@ymail.com . I will be expecting Ur mail.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Nigerians In Australia . by Nobody: 7:48pm On Mar 02, 2013
[quote author=babsharon]

Manmeta. Pls I need your advise on How †̥o migrate †̥o Australia through PR. I have b.sc in Accounting here in Nigeria with 3 years working experience. My e-mail is s_sadiku@ymail.com . I will be expecting Ur mail.

Thanks.[/quote

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (41) (Reply)

Nigerians At Ukraine / Anyone Studying In Belgium? / Turkey Visa Application Delay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.