Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,616 members, 7,820,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) - Career (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) (138139 Views)

Java Study Group(online) / Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco / Cyberoam Study Group, Anyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (57) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 2:38pm On Nov 03, 2015
DanIndia:
Alright. All the best
Thanks
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by ptoall1000: 6:36am On Nov 05, 2015
It seems as if cross cable is no more useful.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 12:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
How so ? It is. Infact, very. How would connect routers together or PC to Router/PC to PC ?
ptoall1000:
It seems as if cross cable is no more useful.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by ptoall1000: 4:43pm On Nov 05, 2015
DanIndia:
How so ? It is. Infact, very. How would connect routers together or PC to Router/PC to PC ?
If I don't have proof I won't say so. Right now I'm on a project in Kebbi state where I'm connecting switch to switch and pc to pc with straight cable.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 7:08am On Nov 06, 2015
DanIndia:
Isn't rolled cable you're expected to use?
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 7:09am On Nov 06, 2015
ptoall1000:

If I don't have proof I won't say so. Right now I'm on a project in Kebbi state where I'm connecting switch to switch and pc to pc with straight cable.
Cross over cable cheesy
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by issylarry(m): 8:12am On Nov 06, 2015
DanIndia:
Hey folks,

DanIndia here. I'm planning to start a study group on Cisco certifications... as of now, it will be purely basic stuffs - CCNA topics mostly.
If anyone is interested in participating and is up for some hardcore hours labbing and has a laptop with the required specifications to run GNS3 and Packet Tracer, and is looking to motivate others, learn with others then comment on this thread and let me know if you're interested.

P.S: This is no advertisement for a Cisco Institution or some course with an Institution or whatsoever. This is just a personal invitation to learn together as a group. No charges and there will never be. It's 100% free... and this will continue for a long time and will be sharing career opportunities too.

am so interested;guezed have missed a lot
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by NoriegaQ(m): 11:33am On Nov 06, 2015
Hey guys. I passed my CCNA 200-120 exam with a score of 941 after 4 months of intensive self-study and labbing. I read Todd Lammle's book 3 times over and I labbed at least 3 hours on week days and 10 hours on weekends. I'm just happy my efforts came through. The guy at the centre where I wrote told me I should go back and study more if I wasn't sure I was ready enough, as Cisco had changed most of the exam questions. I didn't practice with dumps so I was quite certain. At some point during the exam I actually felt so sure that I was going to fail because the simulations were quite tricky. In the end I came through, I was the 3rd person to pass this week at the centre were I wrote out of 14 exam takers.
Special thanks to the OP @DanIndia because this thread was one of the things that inspired me to success. Talking and learning from you guys really helped. With hardwork and humility, you'd definitely succeed. I feel now I'm certified I can contribute more to this thread as someone who now has a Cisco ID, lol. I've started CCNP studying since last month, even though I wasn't CCNA certified yet, I intend to write that in February or March next year. I was also gonna do MCSE this year but so many people I know in the industry have advised me to take the Linux path first. I'm considering Comptia Linux. Anyways guys, once again I appreciate this thread much more than I can describe. If you love networking like I do, you'd understand if I call this thread my home on Nairaland. Good luck everybody! Cheers!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 4:45pm On Nov 06, 2015
NoriegaQ:
Hey guys. I passed my CCNA 200-120 exam with a score of 941 after 4 months of intensive self-study and labbing. I read Todd Lammle's book 3 times over and I labbed at least 3 hours on week days and 10 hours on weekends. I'm just happy my efforts came through. The guy at the centre where I wrote told me I should go back and study more if I wasn't sure I was ready enough, as Cisco had changed most of the exam questions. I didn't practice with dumps so I was quite certain. At some point during the exam I actually felt so sure that I was going to fail because the simulations were quite tricky. In the end I came through, I was the 3rd person to pass this week at the centre were I wrote out of 14 exam takers.
Special thanks to the OP @DanIndia because this thread was one of the things that inspired me to success. Talking and learning from you guys really helped. With hardwork and humility, you'd definitely succeed. I feel now I'm certified I can contribute more to this thread as someone who now has a Cisco ID, lol. I've started CCNP studying since last month, even though I wasn't CCNA certified yet, I intend to write that in February or March next year. I was also gonna do MCSE this year but so many people I know in the industry have advised me to take the Linux path first. I'm considering Comptia Linux. Anyways guys, once again I appreciate this thread much more than I can describe. If you love networking like I do, you'd understand if I call this thread my home on Nairaland. Good luck everybody! Cheers!
Congrats....
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 5:28pm On Nov 06, 2015
NoriegaQ:

Congratulations! I hope that you make networking your career path.

In regards to Linux, I advise you go with the redhat certifications (RHCSA/RHCE). They are far more respected because they are hands-on exams. RHEL is practically the industry standard. Their exams are internationally respected and renowned.

Best of luck with your studies and endeavours.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 5:32pm On Nov 06, 2015
DanIndia:

Connecting routers together can be done in various fashions. You can connect them via serial links or crossover Ethernet cable if you don't want to use serial links. If you choose to use serial, make sure to set the DCE specifications.

Connecting two PCs together also requires crossover Ethernet cable.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 5:33pm On Nov 06, 2015
ptoall1000:

Those devices more than likely have auto-MDIX enabled. That's why it works.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by NoriegaQ(m): 5:54pm On Nov 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

In regards to Linux, I advise you go with the redhat certifications (RHCSA/RHCE). They are far more respected because they are hands-on exams. RHEL is practically the industry standard. Their exams are internationally respected and renowned.

Thanks man, I really appreciate. Don't really intend to go deep into Linux, just need basic knowledge which is why I'm looking at Comptia's version, besides you get about 3 certs at once when you pass that.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by NoriegaQ(m): 5:54pm On Nov 06, 2015
baba11:

Congrats....

Thanks bro.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 6:00pm On Nov 06, 2015
NoriegaQ:

Thanks man, I really appreciate. Don't really intend to go deep into Linux, just need basic knowledge which is why I'm looking at Comptia's version, besides you get about 3 certs at once when you pass that.

Correct you do
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Kelechi2020(m): 6:09pm On Nov 06, 2015
NoriegaQ:

You have inspired me.........you read todd lammle three times? thats the spirit...
Congratulations Bro
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 7:21pm On Nov 06, 2015
Kelechi2020:

You have inspired me.........you read todd lammle three times? thats the spirit...
Congratulations Bro
Reading the book is not easy at the same time, it's time consuming.... the key is to understand it and do alot of labbing sad
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 7:22pm On Nov 06, 2015
NoriegaQ:

Expatiate more about the cert....

If I may ask, are you going into the security path?
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by NoriegaQ(m): 1:57pm On Nov 07, 2015
Kelechi2020:

Congratulations Bro

Thanks man. Reading Lammle 3 times wasn't so time consuming like that. Spent 2 months on my first read cos I really wanted to get a good knowledge of the concepts. The 2 other reads took a month each, so I finished 3 reads in 4 months. I also had a small jotter where I wrote all the CLI commands chapter by chapter. I read that first thing in the morning and last thing before I sleep just to get the commands well memorized. With Todd Lammle and Packet Tracer alone you're good.

1 Like

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by NoriegaQ(m): 2:04pm On Nov 07, 2015
baba11:

Expatiate more about the cert....

If I may ask, are you going into the security path?

I haven't decided which path I'd really like to follow. Maybe when I'm done with CCNP R & S I'll make up my mind. When you pass Comptia Linux you also get LPIC and SUSE as added certs for free. I think a good network engineer should not be limited to just "networking" but also server operation and config. A vast majority of companies in the world use Linux servers because the OS is quite secure, hence as a network engineer it's good to have a basic knowledge of servers. Intend to do MCSE too but that ll be later on.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by baba11(m): 4:11pm On Nov 07, 2015
NoriegaQ:

I haven't decided which path I'd really like to follow. Maybe when I'm done with CCNP R & S I'll make up my mind. When you pass Comptia Linux you also get LPIC and SUSE as added certs for free. I think a good network engineer should not be limited to just "networking" but also server operation and config. A vast majority of companies in the world use Linux servers because the OS is quite secure, hence as a network engineer it's good to have a basic knowledge of servers. Intend to do MCSE too but that ll be later on.

OK thanks.... how much is it now ?
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by drcharles4me: 11:39pm On Nov 08, 2015
DanIndia:
It shouldn't cost so much. I know for sure Skype call doesn't charge so much but I don't really recommend it. And folks, I'm currently working on CCNP stuff with a few other folks. We are 3 for now and we could use many others as well. We covered GRE, DMVPN just yesterday evening and today we'll be going about with IPsec and then on to RIPng. If you're interested, please comment and I can send you the link to join the hangout.

am interetsed ..add me...2x ccnp rns and service provider
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:24pm On Nov 10, 2015
Awesome. What timings work for you ? A nice profile you've got by the way (2xNP). Let me know if you'd be OK with labbing for at least 2 hours every day. Thanks
drcharles4me:

am interetsed ..add me...2x ccnp rns and service provider
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:30pm On Nov 10, 2015
OH my. I love this. I could totally tell your passion for networking from reading this single post. And those people were right, the Linux path looks more promising. It's fun and it's not necessary you certify yourself but it does help. So from me to you, Congratulations. Now we could use you more on this thread, post questions, post tips, post employment opportunities... whatever you feel that may be of great help to others. ANd since you're already planning for CCNP, you could join me. As we speak, I'm about to move on to OSPF and the others. Down with IPv6, GRE, DMVPN... Let me know if you're up for it.

AND again, I like your confidence. Check out the bold. That inspires me myself. Coincidentally, I'm planning to write my CCNP route around the same time frame of yours. Only reply back if you're up for the challenge.

Again to others, you don't really need to dump an exam. If you practice a lot and did that well, trust me no questions on the exam would be strange to you.

Congratulations again, Bro. NoriegaQ. Please keep the fire burning.

NoriegaQ:
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:33pm On Nov 10, 2015
I totally agree with this. I once asked a Cisco Instructor, why do I need to know OS based operations since I'm a Network Engineer? HE replied "What does a network engineer do ?" I replied "Connect devices together". He further asked, "What do those devices run on"

I hope y'all got it. I wanted to seat for the LPIC-1 test but CCNP and College studies alongside other commitments is really kicking me so I'm putting it on hold. My SWITCH OCG should deliver tomorrow.
NoriegaQ:

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:38pm On Nov 10, 2015
You can't use Straight cabling for PC to PC and SWITCH to SWITCH, PC to ROUTER. Routers and PC are smart end devices and require cross cable for connections. You can only use straight-through for connecting a PC to a SWITCH and a SWITCH to a ROUTER. Try this on Packet Tracer.
ptoall1000:

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:40pm On Nov 10, 2015
That's the same thing I meant. The Serial link connections are starting to get phased out though.
Fulaman198:

Connecting routers together can be done in various fashions. You can connect them via serial links or crossover Ethernet cable if you don't want to use serial links. If you choose to use serial, make sure to set the DCE specifications.

Connecting two PCs together also requires crossover Ethernet cable.
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:44pm On Nov 10, 2015
I do not disagree with this idea but I recommend for a network engineer to just get along with the basics at LPIC-1 and further take it from there. RHCSA/RHCE is totally flavor dependent. The commands are different from other flavors. It would make no sense to be RHCSA certified and be hired by a company that runs a different flavor. Though it is highly in demand, you'd still get the same job with the Comptia Linux+, as a network engineer. System Administration itself is no easy studies. Adding that to what you already know may mess things up.
Fulaman198:

Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 2:46pm On Nov 10, 2015
Nothing good comes easy, my brother. I used the same book myself and I must be honest with you, that is a book you must have for CCNA plus a lot of labbings. baba11, I await your own CCNA Cisco ID
baba11:

Reading the book is not easy at the same time, it's time consuming.... the key is to understand it and do alot of labbing sad
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by Fulaman198(m): 4:54pm On Nov 10, 2015
DanIndia:
I do not disagree with this idea but I recommend for a network engineer to just get along with the basics at LPIC-1 and further take it from there. RHCSA/RHCE is totally flavor dependent. The commands are different from other flavors. It would make no sense to be RHCSA certified and be hired by a company that runs a different flavor. Though it is highly in demand, you'd still get the same job with the Comptia Linux+, as a network engineer. System Administration itself is no easy studies. Adding that to what you already know may mess things up.

RHEL/CentOS are used the most by most industries, the advantage that the RHCSA has is that it's a hands on exam whilst the Linux+ is multiple choice. Thus, it's less likely to be the case that someone will find a way to cheat.

Having an RHCSA illustrates that you can do hands on system admin tasks. Whereas, you can't be certain if someone used dumps for their Linux+.

The only main difference between RHEL/Fedora/CentOS based Linux and say Debian based Linux like Ubuntu/Mint is the use of YUM and RPM over apt. There are still a vast amount of similarities that most RHCSA people can adapt to. However, most corporations servers are RHEL based instead of Ubuntu based or SUSE based. I don't think any major employer will assume that someone with an RHCSA only knows one flavour of Linux
Re: Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) by DanIndia(m): 5:14pm On Nov 10, 2015
That could be right, but if I were an HR and I find a Network Engineer also in possession of a RHCSE, I'd question the genuineness of it. People can dump anything, regardless of whether or not it is a multiple choice exam. System Administration is a role on itself just as Network Administration. If you talk to Network Engineers that have worked over the years maybe with HR or Recruitment agencies, they'll tell you it's hard for you to ene come up with a technician with indepth knowledge at their certification level just in networking not to talk of one that has a CCNA and RHCSA at the same time. I am not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying RHCSA/RHCE is going to far when you may not even use it at your job position. Major companies wouldn't hire a Network Engineer to carry out System Administration duties.
Fulaman198:

RHEL/CentOS are used the most by most industries, the advantage that the RHCSA has is that it's a hands on exam whilst the Linux+ is multiple choice. Thus, it's less likely to be the case that someone will find a way to cheat.

Having an RHCSA illustrates that you can do hands on system admin tasks. Whereas, you can't be certain if someone used dumps for their Linux+.

The only main difference between RHEL/Fedora/CentOS based Linux and say Debian based Linux like Ubuntu/Mint is the use of YUM and RPM over apt. There are still a vast amount of similarities that most RHCSA people can adapt to. However, most corporations servers are RHEL based instead of Ubuntu based or SUSE based. I don't think any major employer will assume that someone with an RHCSA only knows one flavour of Linux

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (57) (Reply)

I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / Nigeria Immigration Salary Scale / 4 High Paying Skills In Nigeria You Can Learn Within 3 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.