Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) - Technology Market (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) (140201 Views)

Great Deals Due To Lower Dollar Rate / Car Tracking Story: How I recovered my stolen vehicle... / 600 Dollars Amazon Gift Card For Sale At 210 Per Dollar Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (58) (Go Down)

Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by opeyemmmy(m): 10:20am On Apr 05, 2015
^^^ smiley
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by opeyemmmy(m): 10:36am On Apr 05, 2015
Going by what StanbicIBTC rates are, why are the cargo guys on other threads charging NLers ridiculous rates, like N220 to a dollar? Beside their service charge, why the exorbitant rates? I just wish to know the rationale behind it... thanks guys.

1 Like

Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by koredex4love(m): 10:48am On Apr 05, 2015
opeyemmmy:
Going by what StanbicIBTC rates are, why are the cargo guys on other threads charging NLers ridiculous rates, like N220 to a dollar? Beside their service charge, why the exorbitant rates? I just wish to know the rationale behind it... thanks guys.

shippers will always charge you at that rate or just a bit lesser,banks rate is the regulating foca point for trading,as dey also will wants to make little gain from it.and that is why i keep saying abokis rate is suspicious.
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by opeyemmmy(m): 10:51am On Apr 05, 2015
The Stanbic dollar rate of 199.50 seems too good to be true. I expect it to be around N201-203. I can confirm the Pound rate is correct as I was charged N299.67 for a transaction just some days ago.

Beside dollar which has remained relatively stable over the past weeks, other currencies change every day and new rates are advised.
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by opeyemmmy(m): 10:57am On Apr 05, 2015
koredex4love:

shippers will always charge you at that rate or just a bit lesser,banks rate is the regulating foca point for trading,as dey also will wants to make little gain from it.and that is why i keep saying abokis rate is suspicious.

While I'm a bit lost on their modus operandi, I want to assume they pay for their goods through debit cards as against physical cash. If that's the case, there is no justification to charge N215/220 for a dollar. Thanks for your reply.

Those mallams are doing a bit of speculation with their rates.
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Stanley08(m): 11:00am On Apr 05, 2015
koredex4love:

Lmao. It's amazing how Nairaland autocorrects A.b.o.k.i to Northerner. Lol. EPIC!

opeyemmmy:

Chinosxl charges at 210 i believe. Which is plenty fair. We can never tell with these things, so stop worrying ur head mate.

opeyemmmy:
The Stanbic dollar rate of 199.50 seems too good to be true. I expect it to be around N201-203. I can confirm the Pound rate is correct as I was charged N299.67 for a transaction just some days ago.

Beside dollar which has remained relatively stable over the past weeks, other currencies change every day and new rates are advised.

The question being asked to them is what they charge on their Mastercard. And not official rate. i think it's accurate. Lol. I think it's VERY accurate actually.
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by opeyemmmy(m): 11:18am On Apr 05, 2015
Stanley08:

Chinosxl charges at 210 i believe. Which is plenty fair. We can never tell with these things, so stop worrying ur head mate.
N210 seems not fair to me. If they don't pay physical cash, why charge your customers for foreign exchange and also service charge?

The question being asked to them is what they charge on their Mastercard. And not official rate. i think it's accurate. Lol. I think it's VERY accurate actually.

Bro, I'm talking about Mastercard rate which is a reflection of Stanbic official rate loaded on their e-banking channels. If the official rate is 199.5, Mastercard rate can never be 199.5... you have every reason to doubt me though. I'll be back on Tuesday to give a detailed analysis.
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Jeffy1206(m): 1:08pm On Apr 05, 2015
I'm hoping very soon to get my card next week... We will all confirm it.

While is a .boki referred to as northerners undecided it doesn't sound welk to me at all... Kind of trabalistic. Seun please correct cos it doesn't mean insult.
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Nobody: 1:47pm On Apr 05, 2015
opeyemmmy:

While I'm a bit lost on their modus operandi, I want to assume they pay for their goods through debit cards as against physical cash. If that's the case, there is no justification to charge N215/220 for a dollar. Thanks for your reply.

Those mallams are doing a bit of speculation with their rates.
when buying from an international e-commerce website that allows payment through mastercard or visacard,it is a norm for those websites to charge a lil bit above official exchange rate...i do not know why...
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by opeyemmmy(m): 2:08pm On Apr 05, 2015
omoteamac:
when buying from an international e-commerce website that allows payment through mastercard or visacard,it is a norm for those websites to charge a lil bit above official exchange rate...i do not know why...

Rates are not determined by those websites but rather by banks. You will be charged your bank's Mastercard rate. A case in point, on 31st March, the offer rate for pound on Stanbic internet banking was N296. I made a payment of £103.85 with my Stanbic Mastercard on that day and I was debited N31098... giving N299.46 as the rate.

To me, the cargo guys on NL are simply ripping NLers off with their ridiculous rates.

I should call you later in the day. Trust you are fine. smiley
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Mizzzbeee(f): 3:11pm On Apr 05, 2015
guente02:

Ah ah someone among should just take the plunge na.
lol wud do so on Monday cheesy... 199.50 Fingers crossed
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by EUGENE4GOO(m): 3:46pm On Apr 05, 2015
Stanley08:
EUGENE4GOO saw it lol.
But what interested me more is their Naira to Euro rate. I've tweeted at them asking for their naira to pound rate, hope they reply soon.
Thanks for keeping this thread updated
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Stanley08(m): 4:46pm On Apr 05, 2015
opeyemmmy:

N210 seems not fair to me. If they don't pay physical cash, why charge your customers for foreign exchange and also service charge?
Bro, I'm talking about Mastercard rate which is a reflection of Stanbic official rate loaded on their e-banking channels. If the official rate is 199.5, Mastercard rate can never be 199.5... you have every reason to doubt me though. I'll be back on Tuesday to give a detailed analysis.

I don't disagree with u. I'm saying they charge 199.5 for transactions on the MasterCard not that they exchange with/from CBN at that amount. Afterall DiamondBank refunded me at 194.2 just last week. If they sell at that, it means they buy at lower. No idea, just makes sense. Stanbic might be buying lower too. I don't know. All will be answered when i get my mitts on That Stanbic Mastercard on Tuesday. Lol.

Jeffy1206:
I'm hoping very soon to get my card next week... We will all confirm it.
While is a .boki referred to as northerners undecided it doesn't sound welk to me at all... Kind of trabalistic. Seun please correct cos it doesn't mean insult.

Me too, a.boki isn't an insult. Even if, it's nothing major. Seems me and u are getting it on Tuesday together afterall. Did they come to ur house for address verification too? Maybe they do it only in Lagos tho... They came to mine.

opeyemmmy:
Rates are not determined by those websites but rather by banks. You will be charged your bank's Mastercard rate. A case in point, on 31st March, the offer rate for pound on Stanbic internet banking was N296. I made a payment of £103.85 with my Stanbic Mastercard on that day and I was debited N31098... giving N299.46 as the rate.
To me, the cargo guys on NL are simply ripping NLers off with their ridiculous rates.

Lol what's the websites own? As long as they get their money in the currency they requested and it's complete. If ur bank likes, they should charge u 1 kobo to $1. Them no send. So u are right. Rates are decided by card issuer ERGO! Your bank.

EUGENE4GOO:

Thanks for keeping this thread updated

No problem mate. That's how it's meant to be. Cheers! smiley
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by tyconcepts(f): 6:44am On Apr 06, 2015
Anyone has an idea of exchange rate in Access bank today??
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Stanley08(m): 7:27am On Apr 06, 2015
tyconcepts:
Anyone has an idea of exchange rate in Access bank today??

Not me, but anytime i see ur name, i start thinking 'testimony'. Lol. Praise the lord!
Oya everybody, offering time!
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Stanley08(m): 7:45am On Apr 06, 2015
I want to open a new account online. GTBANK. GTCrea8 or GTSave?

Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by biggboy(m): 8:49am On Apr 06, 2015
Stanley08:
I want to open a new account online. GTBANK. GTCrea8 or GTSave?
I use a GTCrea8. It's a cool account for students. It's also a zero account. They pay good interest too. But Diamond SWAG account is better.
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Stanley08(m): 8:55am On Apr 06, 2015
biggboy:
I use a GTCrea8. It's a cool account for students. It's also a zero account. They pay good interest too. But Diamond SWAG account is better.

Thanks, I'll choose Crea8.
Lol. SWAG ke? Abeg I'm done with school, i don't need SWAG, I need DOUGH!

3 Likes

Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Yungbitz(m): 9:16am On Apr 06, 2015
pls what bis GTB's rate for today?
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Thespecialone(m): 9:17am On Apr 06, 2015
opeyemmmy:

Freight charges are paid for in dollars not naira and they use the prevailing black market rates to charge clients NOT exchange rates from online payments.

1 Like

Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Stanley08(m): 12:00pm On Apr 06, 2015
StanbicIBTC as always, keeping us up to date.

$ - 199.50
€ - 219.45
£ - 299.77

Cheers! smiley

1 Like

Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by koredex4love(m): 12:08pm On Apr 06, 2015
Stanley08:
StanbicIBTC as always, keeping us up to date.

$ - 199.50
€ - 219.45
£ - 299.77

Cheers! smiley
@ stanly ,pls can help confirm from ibtc ,if they buy dollars?
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by miqos02(m): 12:12pm On Apr 06, 2015
opeyemmmy:
koredex4love:

its simple, just buy $ from aboki and pay them
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Jeffy1206(m): 1:15pm On Apr 06, 2015
Stanley08:

I don't disagree with u. I'm saying they charge 199.5 for transactions on the MasterCard not that they exchange with/from CBN at that amount. Afterall DiamondBank refunded me at 194.2 just last week. If they sell at that, it means they buy at lower. No idea, just makes sense. Stanbic might be buying lower too. I don't know. All will be answered when i get my mitts on That Stanbic Mastercard on Tuesday. Lol.

Me too, a.boki isn't an insult. Even if, it's nothing major. Seems me and u are getting it on Tuesday together afterall. Did they come to ur house for address verification too? Maybe they do it only in Lagos tho... They came to mine.

They didn't cine for verification though.

Lol what's the websites own? As long as they get their money in the currency they requested and it's complete. If ur bank likes, they should charge u 1 kobo to $1. Them no send. So u are right. Rates are decided by card issuer ERGO! Your bank.

No problem mate. That's how it's meant to be. Cheers! smiley
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Stanley08(m): 3:29pm On Apr 06, 2015
koredex4love:

@ stanly ,pls can help confirm from ibtc ,if they buy dollars?

You can just tweet at them on twitter ur question, tho customer care reps won't have or give answers to that question.
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Stanley08(m): 3:36pm On Apr 06, 2015
Btw, Ecobank yesterday... bought an app for 0.99 from Apple store.
Was charged 235.68.

$1 = 1 x 235.68 / 0.99
$1 = 238.06

Lol. Evacuate from Ecobank!
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Mizzzbeee(f): 3:56pm On Apr 06, 2015
Stanley08:
Btw, Ecobank yesterday... bought an app for 0.99 from Apple store.
Was charged 235.68.

$1 = 1 x 235.68 / 0.99
$1 = 238.06

Lol. Evacuate from Ecobank!
smh gbese bank shocked

1 Like

Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Mizzzbeee(f): 4:18pm On Apr 06, 2015
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by frebor(m): 4:42pm On Apr 06, 2015
biggboy:

Stanley08:

Thanks, I'll choose Crea8.
Lol. SWAG ke? Abeg I'm done with school, i don't need SWAG, I need DOUGH!

The GTCrea8 is not the best choice.
According to their website "The GTCrea8 e-Savers account is a flexible card account for students
Account holders can only perform transactions via e-channels (ATMs, Internet Banking, POS, and GTMobile). No Transaction can be processed in branches"

All savings account don't yield any interest after you might have carried out transactions up to 4 times in a month so if na interest rate dey interest you, you don sabi say e get condition.
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Stanley08(m): 6:26pm On Apr 06, 2015
Mizzzbeee:
smh gbese bank shocked

I swear, those ones are confusing. Their own dollar rate is heading towards pounds

frebor:
The GTCrea8 is not the best choice.
According to their website "The GTCrea8 e-Savers account is a flexible card account for students
Account holders can only perform transactions via e-channels (ATMs, Internet Banking, POS, and GTMobile). No Transaction can be processed in branches"

All savings account don't yield any interest after you might have carried out transactions up to 4 times in a month so if na interest rate dey interest you, you don sabi say e get condition.

Someone else said about the same thing. i won't do anything without speaking to someone at GTbank. GTSave might be better after all. Or staying away from GTB and their token madness might be the best. Lol.
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by jereal(m): 11:35pm On Apr 06, 2015
Date: 6th April
BANK: GTbank
CARD TYPE: MasterCard
Currency: $
Rate: 207.4
Re: Monitoring Dollar Rate Ourselves (CLOSELY) by Stanley08(m): 12:10am On Apr 07, 2015
jereal:
Date: 6th April
BANK: GTbank
CARD TYPE: MasterCard
Currency: $
Rate: 207.4

Thanks for the info. Updated in first post.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (58)

EXPOSED Secret: The Bigger Boys New Method Of Importation. Part 2. A Must See!!! / **Shop/Ship Gadgets/Fashion from USA or Great Automobile Deals from Canada / How To Check Your Glo Number With USSD Code Number – Detailed Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.