Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,658 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? (19760 Views)

Comparative Analysis Between Wives Of Today And Those Of Yesterday / What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by babygirlfl: 9:52am On Mar 19, 2015
babyosisi:

Didn't you see the thread where a father in law to be demanded to see what the son in law does for a living and how much he makes to determine if he can provide for their daughter and all men called him a meddling FIL.
It is a slap on their manhood for an FIL to make such demands
But not a slap to my womanhood for his mother to tell me how to run my household

I don't know if you remember the thread where a FIL bought a car for his daughter and most men said they would not tolerate such. This is a man that is not living with the coupleoo. However, if you are a woman, you are expected to tolerate everything including a controlling MIL.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 9:55am On Mar 19, 2015
190theclown:
grin grin

Flytefalls was here grin grin grin

grin
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 10:01am On Mar 19, 2015
Sophyrocks:
Now we can see another problem with men involved. They do absolutely nothing when a rift occurs. Going by the comments here, the wife is to bear whatever her MIL dishes out even though the MIL is wrong. even though she interferes in their marriage. she is to bear all. But i wonder what their comments would be if a father in law or brother in law interferes in the way they handle their affairs at home or question how they provide for their family.
I swear, women should desist in restraining their own family's interference grin.

3 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 19, 2015
babygirlfl:

I don't know if you remember the thread where a FIL bought a car for his daughter and most men said they would not tolerate such. This is a man that is not living with the coupleoo. However, if you are a woman, you are expected to tolerate everything including a controlling MIL.

Thank you for raising that one. I remember this thread too and how the males were also kicking against the father in law's action. i think people will only understand a situation better if they are wearing the shoes. The hypocrisy in that thread was sickening. Maybe fathers in law should start interfering this time around so that they can see what DILs see.

4 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 19, 2015
Flytefalls:

I swear, women should desist in restraining their own family's interference grin.

Abi. So that these men will feel the heat that we feel. Then they will understand how in law interference ruin marriages. grin

Its a pity that women do more in protecting their marriages much more than men do.

2 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 10:57am On Mar 19, 2015
babygirlfl:

Baby girl, your head dey there, such hypocrisy, men cannot put up with anything , everything must be designed for there comfort and protection of their very fragile ego, women have to take any old shit meted out to her and she is supposed to take it quietly and meekly. That is the definition of the good wife angry

3 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by freecocoa(f): 11:07am On Mar 19, 2015
Sophyrocks, Babyosisi, cococandy, flytefalls et el.

You all have done a good job to point out the faults of some MILS, which is actually a true occurrence in many families, now can you also point out some of the things DILS do that also causes tension? You know, anyone who reads the posts from you so far, will likely see it as you blaming whatever goes wrong on the MIL.

I know some ladies who don't pray to have a MIL at all due to all they've heard or seen about MILS, now someone with such a mindset will most likey find faults in whatever her MIL does, should she eventually have one.

Some DILS complain when there hubbies send money to mama, some don't even want mama to visit, I know one who doesn't like mama staying in the living room because she thinks mama smells funny and changes the odor of the whole place, another doesn't see why mama should say what they'll eat, forgetting that it was usually mother, who decided what the family ate while growing up and mama is doing so because she sees herself as the mother, not because she doesn't trust the DILS judgment, also remember that mama most likely had to put up with this when she was the DIL, so she sees it as the right way, eventhough it isn't,only a sensible woman can handle a situation like this well and it will take a lot of wisdom and patience.

My mum used to say that, as long as two people live in a house, there definitely will be tension/misunderstanding, so it is very necessary to apply wisdom in all you do, now mama is from a different generation and will not understand how everything works in our generation, it is only wise to be patient and understand this, my uncle used to say to me "you are the more learned and exposed one, so apply that" whenever I fell out with his wife, who will see it as lazy when I use one of those long brushes that allows me stand almost erect to sweep, than use a normal broom, she feels bending down to sweep is the best way to do it, something like that can cause a misunderstanding between MIL and DIL, with the DIL thinking this woman is too troublesome and MIL thinking, this one is too lazy without actually understanding where each is coming from. Ever since I started applying my uncle's advice, I noticed our misunderstandings reduced.

Many young women of this age, fail to realize that these mamas lived in a different time and are not really used to how life works now, instead of exercising a little patience with mama, they take the approach of "we know better because we went to school" which doesn't always end well, I'm not saying there are no outright evil MILS who just don't like their DILS, those ones are the exceptions not the rule like you are making it seem, I believe there will be less conflict, if each party take out time to understand the other, with the DILS applying more wisdom.

2 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 11:54am On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:

You all have done a good job to point out the faults of some MILS, which is actually a true occurrence in many families, now can you also point out some of the things DILS do that also causes tension? You know, anyone who reads the posts from you so far, will likely see it as you blaming whatever goes wrong on the MIL.

I know some ladies who don't pray to have a MIL at all due to all they've heard or seen about MILS, now someone with such a mindset will most likey find faults in whatever her MIL does, should she eventually have one.

Some DILS complain when there hubbies send money to mama, some don't even want mama to visit, I know one who doesn't like mama staying in the living room because she thinks mama smells funny and changes the odor of the whole place, another doesn't see why mama should say what they'll eat, forgetting that it was usually mother, who decided what the family ate while growing up and mama is doing so because she sees herself as the mother, not because she doesn't trust the DILS judgment, also remember that mama most likely had to put up with this when she was the DIL, so she sees it as the right way, eventhough it isn't,only a sensible woman can handle a situation like this well and it will take a lot of wisdom and patience.

My mum used to say that, as long as two people live in a house, there definitely will be tension/misunderstanding, so it is very necessary to apply wisdom in all you do, now mama is from a different generation and will not understand how everything works in our generation, it is only wise to be patient and understand this, my uncle used to say to me "you are the more learned and exposed one, so apply that" whenever I fell out with his wife, who will see it as lazy when I use one of those long brushes that allows me stand almost erect to sweep, than use a normal broom, she feels bending down to sweep is the best way to do it, something like that can cause a misunderstanding between MIL and DIL, with the DIL thinking this woman is too troublesome and MIL thinking, this one is too lazy without actually understanding where each is coming from. Ever since I started applying my uncle's advice, I noticed our misunderstandings reduced.

Many young women of this age, fail to realize that these mamas lived in a different time and are not really used to how life works now, instead of exercising a little patience with mama, they take the approach of "we know better because we went to school" which doesn't always end well, I'm not saying there are no outright evil MILS who just don't like their DILS, those ones are the exceptions not the rule like you are making it seem, I believe there will be less conflict, if each party take out time to understand the other, with the DILS applying more wisdom.

You are very right about troublesome DILs. Thats a different case entirely that requires change and wisdom from DILs. It all boils down to the sort of mindset such ladies had before getting married. I have heard stories myself. Normally, as a wife you should be accomodating and learn to live with people who are not your immediate family. If you can live with your siblings, you can also stay with your in laws. That is why we advice that ladies should take their husbands' family as theirs. I think females who naturally dnt know how to relate with their fellow females would have problems with their MILs. There are ladies who are fortunate to have good inlaws yet they misbehave which is very bad. Some women are uncouth with no manners. Some are not hospitable. There are friends i made back then that made me wonder if they would successfully accomodate a MIL.

The truth is, rifts will still occur as long as the wife is an imperfect human and the husband needs to come in to put things right and correct his wife. Every man knows the kind of woman he married as a wife and the kind of mother he has. So any DIL who is proving stubborn will have to adjust to show that she wants peace in her home and if she really wants her marriage to work. Every lady must learn to be hospitable before marriage. Very very important!! Honestly, men love women who can get along with their mothers and are not so dramatic. Women can be very petty and make mountains out of a mole hill. There are certain things some MILs do that can be overlooked truly. Its not everything you nag about. Any reservations had should be made known to the husband and the way you put it is important. Wisdom is essential. Everything shouldnt be looked upon as competition. Every MIL and DIL rift is as a result of petty issues and overdependencce. so if women can just stop being petty and learn to put issues that dnt matter aside, rifts would reduce. This wisdom and patience to be exercised isnt just for DILs. MILs are required to do the same because it would be a waste if DILs do it only.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:

Any woman who doesn't try to treat her MIL with respect and love is already at fault, guilty. These women that you know have given you their unguarded opinions, or shown you their unreasonable ways in which some women will act towards their MIL; one can never ignore the fact some women are just plain selfish. Personally, I don't know any person guilty of acting maliciously to their MIL, I'm just not of that crowd and I'd never condone that behavior if it happened to creep in. A man is always at liberty to speak frankly with his wife on these issues, I'd encourage that, although it often needn't be.

Regarding the patience issue, problem is definitely a generational thing, but I don't agree with keeping mute with mama until her time is up. Why can't grown ups look to resolve their differences by means of discussion, and look to enjoy the time they have together? I am of the opinion that to give respect to ones elders should be mandatory, but one can also respectfully disagree with someone who has come into her home and is causing tension. No I am not talking of giving mama grief over trivialities- in that case, patience is the easier option anyway. I mean more of the emotional/physical abuse that a society shouldn't continue to turn a blind eye to. Sorry, but I just cannot accept that from even my own mother.

3 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by freecocoa(f): 12:59pm On Mar 19, 2015
Flytefalls:

Regarding the patience issue, problem is definitely a generational thing, but I don't agree with keeping mute with mama until her time is up. Why can't grown ups look to resolve their differences by means of discussion, and look to enjoy the time they have together? I am of the opinion that to give respect to ones elders should be mandatory, but one can also respectfully disagree with someone who has come into her home and is causing tension. No I am not talking of giving mama grief over trivialities- in that case, patience is the easier option anyway. I mean more of the emotional/physical abuse that a society shouldn't continue to turn a blind eye to. Sorry, but I just cannot accept that from even my own mother.
Ofcourse no one should have to endure emotional or physical abuse but you find out that, it usually starts from trivial issues which were not resolved, resentment is then built up, followed by hatred and once it gets to this point, it is usually more difficult to settle, that's why I said it's best for DILS to apply wisdom, applying wisdom doesn't mean keeping mute.

There's something called, 'stooping to conquer' I strongly believe it works well in MIL and DIL relationships.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by freecocoa(f): 1:07pm On Mar 19, 2015
Sophyrocks:

You are very right about troublesome DILs. Thats a different case entirely that requires change and wisdom from DILs. It all boils down to the sort of mindset such ladies had before getting married. I have heard stories myself. Normally, as a wife you should be accomodating and learn to live with people who are not your immediate family. If you can live with your siblings, you can also stay with your in laws. That is why we advice that ladies should take their husbands' family as theirs. I think females who naturally dnt know how to relate with their fellow females would have problems with their MILs. There are ladies who are fortunate to have good inlaws yet they misbehave which is very bad. Some women are uncouth with no manners. Some are not hospitable. There are friends i made back then that made me wonder if they would successfully accomodate a MIL.

The truth is, rifts will still occur as long as the wife is an imperfect human and the husband needs to come in to put things right and correct his wife. Every man knows the kind of woman he married as a wife and the kind of mother he has. So any DIL who is proving stubborn will have to adjust to show that she wants peace in her home and if she really wants her marriage to work. Every lady must learn to be hospitable before marriage. Very very important!! Honestly, men love women who can get along with their mothers and are not so dramatic. Women can be very petty and make mountains out of a mole hill. There are certain things some MILs do that can be overlooked truly. Its not everything you nag about. Any reservations had should be made known to the husband and the way you put it is important. Wisdom is essential. Everything shouldnt be looked upon as competition. Every MIL and DIL rift is as a result of petty issues and overdependencce. so if women can just stop being petty and learn to put issues that dnt matter aside, rifts would reduce. This wisdom and patience to be exercised isnt just for DILs. MILs are required to do the same because it would be a waste if DILs do it only.
You have made excellent points but I still think, it's not always wise to drag the husband into it. I believe two grown women who are sensible can resolve their issues without involving the man(except where absolutely necessary) some women just report every little issue to husband.

Most times involving the husband makes it look like asking him to take sides, I'd rather cool off and call mama, telling her I want us to talk, listen to her side, state mine and work it out, in almost all cases I've seen, involving the man only further escalated the whole issue.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by bukatyne(f): 1:16pm On Mar 19, 2015
Flytefalls:

Not to disrespect anyone's culture, but there is so much confusion at present. I see it. It's so sad. I wouldn't even begin to list the contradictions, I just pray for peace sad

The confusion comes from mixing culture and religion
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:
You have made excellent points but I still think, it's not always wise to drag the husband into it. I believe two grown women who are sensible can resolve their issues without involving the man(except where absolutely necessary) some women just report every little issue to husband.

Most times involving the husband makes it look like asking him to take sides, I'd rather cool off and call mama, telling her I want us to talk, listen to her side, state mine and work it out, in almost all cases I've seen, involving the man only further escalated the whole issue.

What if mama is the type that is unwilling to listen to what you have to say? Playing devil's advocate, I know but it is a very realistic possibility.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:

Of course, Dialogue is important. MILs and DILs who want peace would have to imbibe that. But its not everybody that understands.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by freecocoa(f): 1:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
naijababe:

What if mama is the type that is unwilling to listen to what you have to say? Playing devil's advocate, I know but it is a very realistic possibility.
That's why I said you only bring in husband where absolutely necessary.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:

Maybe. As far as I am concerned, boundaries are the key. To an extent, you should know your MIL well and put the necessary boundaries in place and while at it learn how to make a poker face.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by bukatyne(f): 2:05pm On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:
Ofcourse no one should have to endure emotional or physical abuse but you find out that, it usually starts from trivial issues which were not resolved, resentment is then built up, followed by hatred and once it gets to this point, it is usually more difficult to settle, that's why I said it's best for DILS to apply wisdom, applying wisdom doesn't mean keeping mute.

There's something called, 'stooping to conquer' I strongly believe it works well in MIL and DIL relationships.

Why should the DIL stoop to conquer in her own home?

I would advice every MIL to behave in their sons' home how they behave in their daughters' home

The home belongs to the husband and wife... others should learn how to abide by their rules.

2 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:

It's difficult, wisdom will take us all to different destinations. There are different rules to be applied to different scenarios, for example, it is far easier to be patient when MIL/DIL isn't living in the same household. There are no experts in the field, we are all trying to apply wisdom to the situations we face.

When either MIL or DIL start to experience difficulties with the other, the hope is they can settle it amongst themselves, but some find it far better to consult the husband because it is him who'd have brought them together, and might be able to add clarity to any misunderstandings because he knows how to handle them both; he is the expert in this scenario lol. As the MIL/DIL relationship grows, the husband is less of a necessity to foster peace because the two are no longer strangers.

I don't disagree with the concept of stoop and conquer, but need it be so? People have to go the long way to gain trust, when it could be so much easier.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by bukatyne(f): 2:12pm On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:

My hubby told me that a spouse has the sole responsibility to caution their family member which I have come to realize that's true.

In the case of MIL and DIL, I will blame MIL more... even if the DIL is a witch, the MIL has the responsibility of keeping out if their way and if she is not comfortable, then leave. I am talking from experience

We have a somewhat In-law (wife) but we have learnt to walk around her... it is her home, her rules.

3 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 19, 2015
bukatyne:

The confusion comes from mixing culture and religion

Yes, that's my own conclusion. I have hope that people will one day get it right, we have emerged from the dark ages at least.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by bukatyne(f): 2:16pm On Mar 19, 2015
Flytefalls:

Yes, that's my own conclusion. I have hope that people will one day get it right, we have emerged from the dark ages at least.

Amen o!

1 Like

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by babygirlfl: 2:44pm On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:

I would have totally agreed with you but for one reason. The same mother in law from another generation won't behave the same way when she visits her married daughters home. If she behaved the same way, then you can then say it's the generation difference.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by babygirlfl: 2:48pm On Mar 19, 2015
fem29:

Baby girl, your head dey there, such hypocrisy, men cannot put up with anything , everything must be designed for there comfort and protection of their very fragile ego, women have to take any old shit meted out to her and she is supposed to take it quietly and meekly. That is the definition of the good wife angry

It's just too much on a wife. It's like you have to live your life tolerating one thing or the other.

2 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Mar 19, 2015
I have already made up my mind when growing up and from what I see always not to meddle in my children's affair.

It's the mind set. The earlier u caution urself, d better.
U will start living such life eg,my son is my life o,i did everything humanly possible to make him what he is today bla bla bla.

U have a life outside ur children especially ur sons. Don't live urs inside them. That is simple denial.

Learn to let them be and have a choice.
Once u have a liberal mind set around them, u won't have problem with d wives even if they r troublesome.

Most of us against this lubbish will still do worst.

4 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by cococandy(f): 3:13pm On Mar 19, 2015
I don't know which post of my you were reading that was only pointing out faults in MILs, but let me summarize all of them in one sentence in case someone else is getting the impression ( as they obviously would) that it is all about blaming MILs.

each person should be the one to address their parent(mother) on issues likely to cause misunderstandings between the mother and his/her spouse. I would do so for my hubby if my mom becomes unbearable towards him same as I expect from him.

That's the summary.

There was no painting of any MIL as the bad guy in any of at.
Just a tip for the couple to avoid or reduce friction if possible.

Anyone could be at fault.

freecocoa:

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by 190theclown: 3:18pm On Mar 19, 2015
Flytefalls:

grin

Always on family matters arguing angry angry

dont know why you didnt study law undecided
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by 190theclown: 3:19pm On Mar 19, 2015
Shollypopzz:

Hey, "class clown", how have you been?

so sholly u were gna evade me like that huh?
Hmmm.. anyways im looking for abiL
have u got her contact outside here grin

why dont u try reachin me as well sholly
tired of this whole nl shit grin
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by 190theclown: 3:20pm On Mar 19, 2015
leave NL for people like freecocoa when nor get work
and wen still de write waec embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by freecocoa(f): 3:22pm On Mar 19, 2015
babygirlfl:

I would have totally agreed with you but for one reason. The same mother in law from another generation won't behave the same way when she visits her married daughters home. If she behaved the same way, then you can then say it's the generation difference.

Are we sure that's how she behaves when in her daughter's house? Remember that she raised the said daughter and they must have established how to relate to each other, except the you are talking about MILS who just want to be difficult, in which case I don't think it's a normal thing.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by freecocoa(f): 3:30pm On Mar 19, 2015
bukatyne:

My hubby told me that a spouse has the sole responsibility to caution their family member which I have come to realize that's true.

In the case of MIL and DIL, I will blame MIL more... even if the DIL is a witch, the MIL has the responsibility of keeping out if their way and if she is not comfortable, then leave. I am talking from experience

We have a somewhat In-law (wife) but we have learnt to walk around her... it is her home, her rules.

I didn't say women should start cautioning their MILS or others for that matter, I'm saying, everything doesn't have to turn into a court room setting with a judge(maybe hubby) presiding.

If you really take time to look into issues between MILS and DILS, you'll realize it usually starts from petty issues, like serving mama cold food(even when it was only warm not really cold) to mama dictating how to run the house, I'm only saying, these issues can be nipped in the bud by these wives before they turn into a giant ball of evil/trouble.

Are you saying one can't talk to her MIL about some things?
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by freecocoa(f): 3:35pm On Mar 19, 2015
cococandy:
I don't know which post of my you were reading that was only pointing out faults in MILs, but let me summarize all of them in one sentence in case someone else is getting the impression ( as they obviously would) that it is all about blaming MILs.

each person should be the one to address their parent(mother) on issues likely to cause misunderstandings between the mother and his/her spouse. I would do so for my hubby if my mom becomes unbearable towards him same as I expect from him.

That's the summary.

There was no painting of any MIL as the bad guy in any of at.
Just a tip for the couple to avoid or reduce friction if possible.

Anyone could be at fault.

Don't take it personal please, the post was directed at many people, sorry if I involved you where I shouldn't have.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by cococandy(f): 3:36pm On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:
Don't take it personal please, the post was directed at many people, sorry if I involved you where I shouldn't have.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? / Christmas Gift For My Daughters / Re: Clarion Call To Help Intervene In Mrs Akinlana And Her Children’s Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.