Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,739 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? (19766 Views)

Comparative Analysis Between Wives Of Today And Those Of Yesterday / What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by freecocoa(f): 3:45pm On Mar 19, 2015
Flytefalls:

It's difficult, wisdom will take us all to different destinations. There are different rules to be applied to different scenarios, for example, it is far easier to be patient when MIL/DIL isn't living in the same household. There are no experts in the field, we are all trying to apply wisdom to the situations we face.

When either MIL or DIL start to experience difficulties with the other, the hope is they can settle it amongst themselves, but some find it far better to consult the husband because it is him who'd have brought them together, and might be able to add clarity to any misunderstandings because he knows how to handle them both; he is the expert in this scenario lol. As the MIL/DIL relationship grows, the husband is less of a necessity to foster peace because the two are no longer strangers.

I don't disagree with the concept of stoop and conquer, but need it be so? People have to go the long way to gain trust, when it could be so much easier.
For starters, a MIL shouldn't be a permanent dweller in her son's house, that's just not right.

I say patience with the hope that she packs up and leaves when her stay expires, it is during this time that the DIL stoops to conquer, so that if mama ever visits again, then there won't be need for the drama.

Still like you have said, different strokes for different folks.

2 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 19, 2015
190theclown:

so sholly u were gna evade me like that huh?
Hmmm.. anyways im looking for abiL
have u got her contact outside here grin

why dont u try reachin me as well sholly
tired of this whole nl shit grin

Evade you??

Let me ask her first, then I'll pm you her info if she agrees.

aaww @ "tired of this whole NL sh1t". Yeah, it gets tedious after a while.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 19, 2015
190theclown:

Always on family matters arguing angry angry

dont know why you didnt study law undecided

Family is what brings me to this forum, it is the only business I can claim with Nigeria, so shush grin

How are you?

1 Like

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 19, 2015
The women I feel sorry for are those who move into the house with their mother inlaw after marriage and it becomes the living arrangement.
I can't imagine.
We are all talking about an MIL visiting,imagine if the son and DIL moved into her place as happens in some situations.
Okokobioko
Na to use her for boi boi and maid be that

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by bukatyne(f): 8:23pm On Mar 19, 2015
freecocoa:
I didn't say women should start cautioning their MILS or others for that matter, I'm saying, everything doesn't have to turn into a court room setting with a judge(maybe hubby) presiding.

If you really take time to look into issues between MILS and DILS, you'll realize it usually starts from petty issues, like serving mama cold food(even when it was only warm not really cold) to mama dictating how to run the house, I'm only saying, these issues can be nipped in the bud by these wives before they turn into a giant ball of evil/trouble.

Are you saying one can't talk to her MIL about some things?

Talking to Mama depends solely on the relationship between them and when mama is complaining of hot or cold speaks volumes about their relationship.

Besides, mama should learn how to eat the soup the way it is served If there is no health issues or pray that wifey learnsher ppreference or wait till she gets home to eat What she likes.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by bukatyne(f): 8:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
babygirlfl:

I would have totally agreed with you but for one reason. The same mother in law from another generation won't behave the same way when she visits her married daughters home. If she behaved the same way, then you can then say it's the generation difference.

That is what I find ridiculous.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by 190theclown: 4:33pm On Mar 20, 2015
Shollypopzz:

Evade you??

Let me ask her first, then I'll pm you her info if she agrees.

aaww @ "tired of this whole NL sh1t". Yeah, it gets tedious after a while.

Okay thanks

Any feedback from her yet?
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by 190theclown: 4:34pm On Mar 20, 2015
Flytefalls:

Family is what brings me to this forum, it is the only business I can claim with Nigeria, so shush grin

How are you?

You've abandoned me Since my Naija brother took you
U've forgotten all about me cry cry
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 20, 2015
190theclown:

You've abandoned me Since my Naija brother took you
U've forgotten all about me cry cry
You've abandoned me since my jamo sister took you and you spent all day taking pictures for IG grin
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Mar 20, 2015
Mother inlaw wahala .......may God help all married women in this Africa. I hate this Union called "MARRIAGE" grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Mar 20, 2015
chisom101:
Mother inlaw wahala .......may God help all married women in this Africa. I hate this Union called "MARRIAGE" grin grin grin

I know why you are saying this
Remember all we talked about and all the women advised you
Most importantly protect yourself for now and be self sufficient
Ndo
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by 190theclown: 1:23pm On Mar 21, 2015
Flytefalls:

You've abandoned me since my jamo sister took you and you spent all day taking pictures for IG grin

Hahahahahahaa!!

I knew you were gna say that

Loooooooool

As a fine boy concerned cool cool cool

But why u keepin him off the charts im still yet to get a vivid look at that my brother grin
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Mar 21, 2015
For my insanity ,I left with my children for some weeks now,life is too short for marriage wahala.is not all about the cheating problem, there are more to my story I will be releasing the bomb small small
babyosisi:

I know why you are saying this
Remember all we talked about and all the women advised you
Most importantly protect yourself for now and be self sufficient
Ndo
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 21, 2015
chisom101:
For my insanity ,I left with my children for some weeks now,life is too short for marriage wahala.is not all about the cheating problem, there are more to my story I will be releasing the bomb small small

I am sad it isn't working out but happy that you eventually got out
Please share your story,it will help someone going through the same situation
Start a thread and share your story when you are able
There are many women in abusive marriages that have resigned to fate but your words will encourage them on steps to take.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 21, 2015
190theclown:

Hahahahahahaa!!

I knew you were gna say that

Loooooooool

As a fine boy concerned cool cool cool

But why u keepin him off the charts im still yet to get a vivid look at that my brother grin
Are you mad. He's not a poser like you, he would whap me if I put one of him grin. He's sometimes on my whatsapp, so keep looking out wink
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by 190theclown: 11:49pm On Mar 21, 2015
Flytefalls:

Are you mad. He's not a poser like you, he would whap me if I put one of him grin. He's sometimes on my whatsapp, so keep looking out wink

LMFAO!!

You better make him a poser and im good anyways i know hes extra careful so i dont steal his most valuable grin

1 Like

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by ireneidiva(f): 12:31am On Mar 22, 2015
190theclown:

LMFAO!!

You better make him a poser and im good anyways i know hes extra careful so i dont steal his most valuable grin
Get a room!
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by ireneidiva(f): 12:31am On Mar 22, 2015
Flytefalls:

You two, get a room.

1 Like

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by 190theclown: 4:29pm On Mar 22, 2015
ireneidiva:

Get a room!

Get out of my sight undecided
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by 190theclown: 4:29pm On Mar 22, 2015
ireneidiva:

You two, get a room.

Get a room to do what grin
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by KanwuliaJara: 7:20pm On Mar 22, 2015
bukatyne:

I knew a woman who had to hide Some of her clothes when her MIL was coming.

With all due "disrespect", the woman NA DUNCE! kiss
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 12:55am On Mar 23, 2015
craziebone:
NO WOMAN IN THIS WORLD CAN STAND UP TO MY MOTHER THE WAY WE SEE IN THAT PIC.

I agree with you there...
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by bukatyne(f): 2:22pm On Mar 23, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

With all due "disrespect", the woman NA DUNCE! kiss

LOL!

What will she do?

She was stooping to conquer.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Mar 23, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

I agree with you there...

even if she's done something wrong, which she will never do, at least, she can wait for me to come back home from whereever i went and then she could tell me. I will not allow any woman do that to my OWN parent especially when i will never do the same to her's.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 27, 2015
craziebone:

even if she's done something wrong, which she will never do, at least, she can wait for me to come back home from whereever i went and then she could tell me. I will not allow any woman do that to my OWN parent especially when i will never do the same to her's.

There's a principle to everything.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by honeychild(f): 12:26am On Mar 29, 2015
I think the cause of the problem is this:
A lot of women endure very painful and bitter marriages. They go through life depressed and oppressed by selfish husbands.
They live solely for their children, sacrifice everything for them and hardly do anything for themselves. (As I am typing this I am wondering if I am not falling into that trap myself lol) And they console themselves that 'when my son grows up he will be do everything his father did not do for me'. When the son gets married, and she sees the daughter in law enjoying a life style she never had, of course she gets bitter and jealous.

I always remind myself and my friends - whatever lace or George or gold you want to wear, please buy it for yourself now and enjoy it. whatever car you want to drive, please buy it for yourself now and drive it - don't wait for Emeka to buy you 'jeep' when he grows up. He will not.

4 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 12:52am On Mar 29, 2015
honeychild:
A lot of women endure very painful and bitter marriages. They go through life depressed and oppressed by selfish husbands.
They live solely for their children, sacrifice everything for them and hardly do anything for themselves. (As I am typing this I am wondering if I am not falling into that trap myself lol) And they console themselves that 'when my son grows up he will be do everything his father did not do for me'. When the son gets married, and she sees the daughter in law enjoying a life style she never had, of course she gets bitter and jealous.

I always remind myself and my friends - whatever lace or George or gold you want to wear, please buy it for yourself now and enjoy it. whatever car you want to drive, please buy it for yourself now and drive it - don't wait for Emeka to buy you 'jeep' when he grows up. He will not.

I believe this may be the real issue
There should be a study regarding the marriage patterns of these women
Looks like women in polygamous relationships or the ones abandoned by their husbands or single mothers fall into this category the most, now that you say this.
They are expecting a son to fill up the role his father didn't play perhaps.
So these boys and men should realize that when they treat women badly,they are inadvertently creating a monster mother in law who will one day expect her son to play the father's role
There are stories of some that even sleep with their sons

3 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 1:54am On Mar 29, 2015
My exmil.started living with us a week after marriage it was hell.
quote author=babyosisi post=32117465]

Looks like women in polygamous relationships or the ones abandoned by their husbands or single mothers fall into this category the most, now that you say this.
So these boys and men should realize that when they treat women badly,they are inadvertently creating a monster mother in law who will one day expect her son to play the father's role
[/quote]
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 3:26am On Mar 29, 2015
chisom101:
My exmil.started living with us a week after marriage it was hell.

A week?
Chai
Ndo
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by honeychild(f): 7:37am On Mar 29, 2015
babyosisi:

Sometimes it is not even polygamous or single parent marriages. There is a lot of difference in the way things were done by our parents and the way they are done by our own generation. I know a family. The man was for all intents and purposes a good husband and father. But woe betide you if you touch one of his cars! He had a Volvo, a Benz and a Peugeot (thank god for spell checker) grin. He would take one to work and the other two were left parked under tarpaulin. The wife and kids mostly went to school and market and any other thing in public transport if he was not available to take them. Now the son grows up and gets married. He has one car. The wife drops him off at work and takes the car for school runs and whatever else she wants to do. Or they have two cars and he gives the nicer one to his wife. Please tell me, how won't the MIL be sure that the girl has given her son 'something' to eat? cheesy

Or another man....he went for business trips abroad but never once took his wife or any of his kids on any trips out of the country. The son grows up, and the wife goes to the U.S to have her first child, or goes to the U.K on shopping trips. Mama must complain na?! The wife must be eviiiiil.

2 Likes

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by bukatyne(f): 9:47am On Mar 29, 2015
honeychild:

This is a major reason

If they don't live for themselves, they should not disrupt the life of their sons.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by KanwuliaJara: 9:07pm On Mar 29, 2015
Those PATIENCE OZOKWOR MILs that have killed their husbands or displaced by their polygamous competitors and have refused to mind their businesses!

The USELESS sons too! kiss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Does Infidelity Make One A Bad Spouse? / Should She Travel To Italy? / A Cry For Help.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.