Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,235 members, 7,839,235 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria (16754 Views)

ICPC Recovers 103 Exotic Vehicles Looted By Government Officials / Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency / Why I Allowed Abacha To Arrest Me – Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by lormarx: 10:15pm On Mar 17, 2015
TS2:
Why are they even returning it sef when its not like it wont be restolen.
Robbing Abacha and family to pay d current looters. My question is ,why is it only Abacha's loot that are followed and returned to Nigeria?is Abacha the only one that have looted Nigerian wealth, or are the others above the law. The international community should commit more time and effort to expose other looters. We have more looters in Government today than in the Abacha era. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by manot: 10:21pm On Mar 17, 2015
so much money is wasted in Nigeria. just one person hiding so much money in d bank nigerians una don suffer
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:28pm On Mar 17, 2015
nelsonoba:

.....but I thought Buhari said Abacha's Government was not corrupt?

Hmmm.......maybe somebody needs to send Buhari to school so he can learn the meaning of the word "corruption"
No, he should learn from our president Jona ; stealing is not corruption
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 17, 2015
Mogidi:
Yet Buhari said Abacha didn't steal any money, so much for an anti corruption crusader.
In Buhari's warped mind, only southerner's steal, the money belongs to the north isn't it?
He probably said so because stealing is not corruption lolzzzzz
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:55pm On Mar 17, 2015
yay!!!now we have money!!! Somewhere in Nigeria#an APC buffalo is designing a message of propaganda
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by gabicon: 11:27pm On Mar 17, 2015
Sirniyeh:

Switzerland will return to Nigeria some $380 million
(360 million euros) linked to ex-dictator Sani Abacha,
Geneva’s public prosecutor said Tuesday, adding that it was closing a 16-year case on the funds.

Abacha ruled oil-rich Nigeria with an iron fist from 1993 until he died in 1998. The economy grew under his rule, though he was seen as extremely corrupt and faced criticism over his human rights abuses in the oil-rich nation.

The decision to return the funds follows a July 2014 deal between Nigeria and the Abacha family. Under the agreement, the funds would be confiscated and returned to Nigeria, while Abuja would drop its case
against the deceased dictator’s son Abba Abacha.

The $380 million had been placed in several accounts
abroad that were controlled by the Abacha family,
which is considered a criminal organisation, the Geneva prosecutors’ office said in a statement.

The money was seized in 2006 in Luxembourg, under
orders from the Swiss authorities. The Abacha family had also placed some $500 million (530 million euros) in Swiss banks, though those funds have already been returned to Nigeria.

The $380 million will be returned under the World
Bank’s supervision, said the prosecutor’s office.
The authorities have also decided to drop their case
against Abba Abacha, which began in 1999.

In 2012, the dictator’s son was handed a one-year
suspended prison sentence for participating in a
criminal organisation.

Switzerland’s top court cancelled the sentence in May
2014, citing procedural reasons. The Geneva prosecutor’s office on Tuesday said Abba Abacha has already been detained for 561 days from 2004 to 2006, without receiving compensation.

The Abacha affair began in 1999, when Nigeria asked the Swiss judicial authorities to help it recover $2.2 billion ($2 billion euros) embezzled and siphoned off by Sani Abacha while he was in power.

www.today.ng/news/switzerland-to-return-380m-looted-by-abacha-to-nigeria/

rubbish abacha died 17 years ago, lets say we put this money in fixed deposit at an interest rate of 10% per annum thats 38 million a year multiplied by 17 a whooping 646 million dollars in profit alone.
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by DonaldGenes(m): 12:50am On Mar 18, 2015
Vickydera2:
they should return the money n share it to the poor masses. money too much for 9ja angry
This girl, you like politics oh
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by DonMaxxy(m): 1:30am On Mar 18, 2015
Perhaps to be returned and re-looted.
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:36am On Mar 18, 2015
Because International community (led by imperialist nations) are corrupt and are as guilty as the looters.

If a person robs a bank and I assist him to hide the money, I have become a partner in the crime.

All these white nations are committing criminal acts for assisting Africans to loot and hide their loot.

So now that we established that they are criminal why is it surprising to some on here that the returning
(or claiming to return) loot falsely linked to Abacha is for political reasons.

Clearly the motive is political and it is dishonest (since it is not possible for Abacha to have looted), otherwise why are they not discovering money looted by other politicians?

Do Nigerians really believe looting began and ends with Abacha?[

ozoigbondu:
Abacha did not steal
Pa buhari
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by tit(f): 1:50am On Mar 18, 2015
GenBuhari:
Abacha did not steal .

Some Nigerians here are very gullible.

Meanwhile At least $20 Bn but upto $400bn is missing during this present administration and probably similar amount missing under Thief Obasanjo not including $16Bn he made vanish before our very eyes in the false pretext that he would spend it on providing electricity.

Thief Obasanjo who sold off vitually all our assets and all our oil blocks which should have left a few trillion dollars in our coffers left a measly $35Bn over his 8 years rule ( only $8Bn more than Abacha had left in his 4.5 years of leadership)

Dis honest men who cannot account for hundreds of billions of dollars falsely accuse Abacha of stealing $1Bn and a honest man (Buhari) who as worked with Abacha inform us Abacha was no looter.

Who does most people on this thread choose to believe? It appears the choose to trust the dishonest looters undecided

ok he was kworrupt.

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by tit(f): 1:50am On Mar 18, 2015
annazubi:
No difference between Abacha and buhari.

the simple truth.

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:58am On Mar 18, 2015
Because International community (led by imperialist nations) are corrupt and are as guilty as the looters.

If a person robs a bank and I assist him to hide the money, I have become a partner in the crime.

All these white nations are committing criminal acts for assisting Africans to loot and hide their loot.

So now that we established that they are criminal why is it surprising to some on here that they returning (or claiming to return loot falsely linked to Abacha for political reasons.

Clearly the motive is political and it is dishonest (since it is not possible for Abacha to have looted), otherwise why are they not discovering money looted by other politicians?

Do Nigerians really believe looting began and ends with Abacha?
lormarx:
Robbing Abacha and family to pay d current looters. My question is ,why is it only Abacha's loot that are followed and returned to Nigeria?is Abacha the only one that have looted Nigerian wealth, or are the others above the law. The international community should commit more time and effort to expose other looters. We have more looters in Government today than in the Abacha era. Thanks
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by nduchucks: 1:58am On Mar 18, 2015
Not a single penny looted during Abacha regime and stashed overseas was directly linked to Abacha himself.

The officials of Abacha's government in collusion with Abacha's sons and foreign powers were actually responsible for the loot.

Please do not return the money until GEJ has settled down in Otuoke.

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by priscaoge(f): 6:37am On Mar 18, 2015
KingTom:
Do you have a PVC? undecided

How old are u? undecided undecided
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by IleIfe2(m): 6:39am On Mar 18, 2015
Mogidi:
Yet Buhari said Abacha didn't steal any money, so much for an anti corruption crusader.
In Buhari's warped mind, only southerner's steal, the money belongs to the north isn't it?

shut up

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:39am On Mar 18, 2015
priscaoge:

Prisca Prisca! Long time smiley
This your siggy still dey trend o grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by priscaoge(f): 6:49am On Mar 18, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Prisca Prisca! Long time smiley
This your siggy still dey trend o grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I dey my Dear!...How are u doing?.. Lol that siggy de give some people headache oooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:55am On Mar 18, 2015
priscaoge:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I dey my Dear!...How are u doing?.. Lol that siggy de give some people headache oooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
I bam. Make the siggy give all of them heart attack on election day! grin Jona must win.

Ur new dp na die o. Chop small kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by priscaoge(f): 6:57am On Mar 18, 2015
AgapeCharis:
I bam. Make the siggy give all of them heart attack on election day! grin Jona must win.

Ur new dp na die o. Chop small kiss kiss kiss

Lwkmd!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thanks Dear kiss kiss
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Qnaija: 6:58am On Mar 18, 2015
Vickydera2:
they should return the money n share it to the poor masses. money too much for 9ja angry
This makes sense
the poor need a break
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:00am On Mar 18, 2015
priscaoge:

Lwkmd!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thanks Dear kiss kiss
A kiss from PriscaOge this early morning smiley
My day's gon be good grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by ben1daEbiri(m): 7:00am On Mar 18, 2015
TS2:
jona wants to 're-steal' the money,the ones that were returned,we don't even know what it's been used for
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by priscaoge(f): 7:01am On Mar 18, 2015
AgapeCharis:
A kiss from PriscaOge this early morning smiley
My day's gon be good grin

Lol...... Do have a blessed day Dear!!!
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by KingTom(m): 7:03am On Mar 18, 2015
priscaoge:

Do you have a PVC? undecided
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:16am On Mar 18, 2015
priscaoge:

Lol...... Do have a blessed day Dear!!!
You too swit kiss

1 Like

Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:24am On Mar 18, 2015
If Nigeria truly wants change we have to include Switzerland in our agenda

Boycott Swiss goods!
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by kayalla(f): 8:26am On Mar 18, 2015
see the kine amount these people de mention up and down. one tenth of the money don better Nigeria na.
Chukwu abiama
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Vince77(m): 8:40am On Mar 18, 2015
TS2:
my thoughts too
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by Abelpeters: 8:45am On Mar 18, 2015
pls tell d swiss, don't return any money coz if dey does! We have top jegudujera canditates that surpass so called abacha. And maybe we should ask nuhu ribadu d recovered money during his tenure.
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by moriton(m): 9:39am On Mar 18, 2015
My question is why did the swiss bank accept the money in the first place when they obviously knew that the regime was corrupt and undemocratic
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by amtalkin(f): 10:00am On Mar 18, 2015
mekaboy:
All this money past under buhari's nose and he did not smell it. I believe abacha gave him some change. No wonder he wants change.
Re: Switzerland To Return $380M Looted By Abacha To Nigeria by nelsonoba: 10:27am On Mar 18, 2015
anulaxad:

Did I spark a cord grin grin grin grin, my friend when you get quality running electricity please do come back and explain where you picked up that I am an APC supporter(voter), when I do not live in Nigeria, secondly where did you pick up from my previous short statement that I am an ignoramus like yourself. Last but not least, I am not a hungry man, I see the light, where you choose to support a party that has had a good 16 years in power with barely any difference on the average Nigerian life.

Aha!! Now i see the reason for your gross ignorance. You don't live in Nigeria!!

Please, when you have travelled down to Nigeria, and you have seen some of our TRANSFORMED Federal Roads around the country (start with Benin - Ore road), and you have spoken with some of our farmers to know why Nigeria does not import as much rice as we used to despite increasing population, and you have asked to know why food prices did not skyrocket during the last December/January yuletide season, and you have taken a few trips in our new Airconditioned trains, and you have seen some of our newly set up Industries (including car/vehicle assembly plants and several others) that came as a result of favourable GEJ policies..........then we can talk. Until then, we are not on the same page because even if you are not a card-carrying APC member, it is obvious that most of your "news" sources on Nigeria is from APC propaganda media.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Enugu Approves Three-week Paternity Leave / Oshiomhole: Obasanjo And Atiku Will Be 'Divinely Punished' In 2019 / Abia APGA Collapses State Structure Into APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.