Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out (2597 Views)

Pics Of The Burnt Onitsha Mosques........nothing Was Left Out Even Blocks. / Igbos Are The Reason Nigeria Will Never Split - My Opinion / Election 2015: Jonathan Threatens To Voice No Confidence In INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Nobody: 5:44pm On Mar 19, 2015
It is now 10 days to the presidential election taking place in Nigeria. The presidential candidates have been doing their best to gather as much support from all spheres of Nigeria, as possible. Various ethnic groups have been approached and encouraged to make decisions on who they should vote for.

Naij.com electoral commentator, Chidi Okoye, in this piece, analysed the attempts by the candidates to canvass for votes and brings up an issue relating to the Igbo tribe.

OPINION HIGHLIGHTS

* I am Igbo and believe that my fellow Igbos should do better.

* The Igbos are contented with the crumbs that have been thrown their way, and are set to deliver their votes to Jonathan.

* The president’s major challenger, Muhammadu Buhari, has also largely ignored the Igbo. Buhari

* Under the present administration, Ndigbo have been largely left with the short end of the stick.

* A rational plan should be drawn up and presented to major presidential candidates in 2019, regardless of the party.

I would be labelled a ‘tribalist’ for this article. Those who attach this label will be right. I am Igbo and believe that my fellow Igbos should do better.

President Goodluck Jonathan’s recent several trips to Lagos and other parts of the South-West in an intense campaign to woo the Yoruba ahead of the March 28 presidential election is something that should shame most Igbos. Unfortunately, it does not. The Igbos are contented with the crumbs that have been thrown their way, and are set to deliver their votes to Jonathan. A voting bloc that should ordinarily been taken serious in an election campaign season has been taken for granted; and this is a sad commentary on our democracy.

The president’s major challenger, Muhammadu Buhari, has also largely ignored the Igbo. Buhari, and his party – the All Progressives Party (APC) – have made no spirited effort to woo the Igbos; perhaps on the accurate assumption that they would vote the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) anyway. According to the Ohanaeze, a leading cultural organization of the Igbo, a half-hearted attempt by the APC to examine the needs of Ndigbo and explore the workability of a MoU was abandoned. The organization, currently in factions, has already endorsed Jonathan and the PDP.

The ruling party is justified in its strategy of taking the Igbo votes for granted. Since 1999 when this current democratic dispensation started, the ruling party has enjoyed a block vote from the South-East; and has no reason to believe this trend is threatened in 2015. Therefore, this is why, despite the fact that President Jonathan is widely seen as not having done enough for the Igbos, the party has decided to take this block vote for granted and focus on the South-West where it hopes to share the votes with the APC.

The question then becomes: for how long will the Igbos continue to suffer a self-imposed regime of discrimination? Various analysts have rightfully said that the Igbo have never been fully integrated back into the Nigerian Dream after the civil war of 1967-70. However, what they tend to miss is the fact that the Igbos themselves are not willing to fight back and re-integrate themselves. Indeed, the Igbos have been known to discriminate among themselves. The Osu Caste system, still very much in practice in several parts of Igboland, is an apt example of this.

Under the present administration, Ndigbo have been largely left with the short end of the stick. No federal road under construction in the region can boast of being 100 percent completed, with several in pitiable conditions; the region has failed to produce one of the first three citizens of the country, in line with its status as one of the three biggest tribes in the nation; the region’s biggest gain in this period is the Second Niger Bridge which is under construction and may take more than the stated four years to complete.

Yet, with this pitiable number of benefits from the current administration, the region has queued behind President Jonathan in 2015. No serious attempt has been made to extract impactful concessions or promises. If the PDP wins, Ndigbo face another four years of stagnation. With dwindling oil sales, and its impact on the economy, there is a growing possibility of seeing even the little ongoing federal infrastructure projects in the region stalled. The Igbos will remain in their post-war shell, muttering about being discrimination and whatnot. But things don’t necessarily have to remain this way.

The Igbos need to first come together and agree on what the region really needs. The best route to effective nationalism is when the various regions that make up a country improve themselves first and then come to the national table as equals to the others. Having failed to take advantage of the current electoral season to secure much needed concessions at the centre, Ndigbo would need to use the next four years to articulate an agenda of what they actually want. Empty chants of ‘Igbo producing a president in 2019’ are ridiculous attempts at absurdity. A rational plan should be drawn up and presented to major presidential candidates in 2019, regardless of the party.

The incursion of the opposition APC into the region, by currently controlling one state – Imo, is something that should be encouraged and expanded. Serious efforts should be made to break the seeming monopoly that the PDP controls in the region. This way, all parties will actively woo the region in 2019; and this will present the opportunity to negotiate and secure concessions. The Igbos have been known to be hardworking and entrepreneurial; traits which have made them stage a remarkable come-back after the unfavourable economic policies that haunted them after the war. These traits should therefore be applied in the quest for political relevance; for it is only through this that the region can achieve full integration.
Culled from
Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by SeverusSnape(m): 5:51pm On Mar 19, 2015
GEJ all the way.

2 Likes

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by mekaboy(m): 5:57pm On Mar 19, 2015
Nice one, but watch and see what happens after the elections.
Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 19, 2015
In an attempt to rescue a drowning man, one should let him exhaust his energy before u rescue him. Ndigbo needs to voice her helplessness in a bid to attract sympathy. But what can one do for a region that sees slavery (Osu caste) as being bestowed by providence? You keep talking of oil, is oil only domiciled in Igboland?
Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by obailala(m): 6:09pm On Mar 19, 2015
Effectively, Igbos have single-handedly marginalised themselves in the Nigerian political sphere. So many truths are revealed in this writeup. Even if Igbos must support Jonathan, all eggs shouldn't be placed in one basket, how can the entire Igbo race queue behind just one party and one man (who incidentally isn't even Igbo)?. The way some of my relations attack me ferociously and even question my Igboness when I say in public that I support Buhari is disturbing. Everyday I keep wondering what would be the fate of the south east if (and when) Buhari wins the elections.

The south west, at least in the past few weeks is several billions of dollars richer, thanks to GEJ and PDP's desperate bribing spree. The south east continues to make itself an easy-to-get bride to any government in power thereby forfeiting all accompanying benefits. It's a pity undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 19, 2015
mekaboy:
Nice one, but watch and see what happens after the elections.
Yep...its not like we have much to do otherwise....Just wait and see events unfold....
Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Gogetta(m): 6:20pm On Mar 19, 2015
To correct you, Buhari did not ignore the ibos. He even wrote a letter to Ohaneze, outlining his agenda and asking for support, and what did he get? An endorsement of GEJ. Y'all have yourselves to blame!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by IanDiamonds: 6:29pm On Mar 19, 2015
obailala:
Effectively, Igbos have single-handedly marginalised themselves in the Nigerian political sphere. So many truths are revealed in this writeup. Even if Igbos must support Jonathan, all eggs shouldn't be placed in one basket, how can the entire Igbo race queue behind just one party and one man (who incidentally isn't even Igbo)?. The way some of my relations attack me ferociously and even question my Igboness when I say in public that I support Buhari is disturbing. Everyday I keep wondering what would be the fate of the south east if (and when) Buhari wins the elections.

The south west, at least in the past few weeks is several billions of dollars richer, thanks to GEJ and PDP's desperate bribing spree. The south east continues to make itself an easy-to-get bride to any government in power thereby forfeiting all accompanying benefits. It's a pity undecided

You can't have put it any better. A n Igbo friend of mine who was blindly supporting the PDP and GEJ's re-election bid just came to his sense.. right now I tell you he has thrown his weight behind Buhari as well as the votes of his family members and relatives. He made them understand Voting based on ethnic bigotry would lead the trouble no where. I was really surprised when he was showing me stats that he was invalidating before he started supporting Buhari.

Gogetta:
To correct you, Buhari did not ignore the ibos. He even wrote a letter to Ohaneze, outlining his agenda and asking for support, and what did he get? An endorsement of GEJ. Y'all have yourselves to blame!

Their leaders are the one deceiving the masses.. I'm very sure come march 28 even GEJ would be surprised when he sees the supposed region he thinks is on lock-down delivers 40% of the votes in that region to Buhari. I see this happening.

3 Likes

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by EdCure: 6:33pm On Mar 19, 2015
Commonsense is not common...especially in politics.

Igbos should first jettison the victim mentality, build bridges and embrace the reality that they have no greater enemy than their self-serving leaders.
Your youths should have a clear-cut definition of good governance, and take pro-active steps to demand for it. That is one way you can determine who to support and who not to.

I have said this ealier, when the real politiking and intense lobbying finally commense (like we have now), no one will take the Ibos serious.

5 Likes

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by hazyfm: 6:35pm On Mar 19, 2015
THE IGBOS HAVE LONG BEEN LEFT OUT.

PRESIDENT- NON IGBO
VICE PRESIDENT- NON IGBO
SENATE PRESIDENT- NON IGBO
SPEAKER OF REPS - NON IGBO
CHIEF JUSTICE- NON IGBO

THIS ARE THE 5 MOST IMPORTANT POSITIONS IN NIGERIA AS FAR AS THE CONSTITUTION IS CONCERNED

THE IGBOS SHOULD FORGET ALL THESE THEIR VILLAGE MEETINGS AND FOR ONCE SIT DOWN AND THINK

IGBOS SHOULD START LEARNING TO SUPPORT EACH OTHER AND STOP BEING A STUMBLING BLOCK TO A FELLOW IGBO BROTHER

#LOSTINTHEMAP

2 Likes

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by PedroJP(m): 6:53pm On Mar 19, 2015
It will be a crime for Igbos to choose GMB to GEJ even if GEJ keeps sidelining Igbos. Buhari has scores to settle with wasted lives of Igbos. That aside, we don't need anybody to woo us with money b4 we take our decisions. Reason we are special. I don't think any other tribe enjoys standard of living in Nigeria more than the Igbos, so even if cheated one way, we gain through many ways. Just wait and see things unfold to the good of the SE.

5 Likes

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by PedroJP(m): 6:55pm On Mar 19, 2015
obailala:

slyIsaac:

Yep...its not like we have much to do otherwise....Just wait and see events unfold....
Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Nobody: 6:56pm On Mar 19, 2015
All ibos should ignored this thread and continue shouting GET till...

....the yorubas finish enjoying all the dollars cool grin

7 Likes

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 19, 2015
PedroJP:
It will be a crime for Igbos to choose GMB to GEJ even if GEJ keeps sidelining Igbos. Buhari has scores to settle with wasted lives of Igbos. That aside, we don't need anybody to woo us with money b4 we take our decisions. Reason we are special. I don't think any other tribe enjoys standard of living in Nigeria more than the Igbos, so even if cheated one way, we gain through many ways. Just wait and see things unfold to the good of the SE.
What bloody standard of living?

Ibos and funny statistics

5 Likes

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by PedroJP(m): 7:00pm On Mar 19, 2015
hazyfm:
THE IGBOS HAVE LONG BEEN LEFT OUT.

PRESIDENT- NON IGBO
VICE PRESIDENT- NON IGBO
SENATE PRESIDENT- NON IGBO
SPEAKER OF REPS - NON IGBO
CHIEF JUSTICE- NON IGBO

THIS ARE THE 5 MOST IMPORTANT POSITIONS IN NIGERIA AS FAR AS THE CONSTITUTION IS CONCERNED

THE IGBOS SHOULD FORGET ALL THESE THEIR VILLAGE MEETINGS AND FOR ONCE SIT DOWN AND THINK

IGBOS SHOULD START LEARNING TO SUPPORT EACH OTHER AND STOP BEING A STUMBLING BLOCK TO A FELLOW IGBO BROTHER

#LOSTINTHEMAP

Let's see what happens during and after GEJ's second term that he needs not beg for any zones votes again
Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by PedroJP(m): 7:02pm On Mar 19, 2015
Segeggs:

Dollars u'v been enjoying since 1970, yet... No show
Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Nobody: 7:08pm On Mar 19, 2015
PedroJP:

Dollars u'v been enjoying since 1970, yet... No show
the dollar, which is as a result of our political calculations, is one of the reasons why your people troop down to SW in droves cos it heightens our economy.

Go to ogbomosho and see the huge population of ibos there.

1 Like

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Nobody: 7:12pm On Mar 19, 2015
PedroJP:

Let's see what happens during and after GEJ's second term that he needs not beg for any zones votes again

And you think that's when he'll have time for the ibos?

You better boot him out now or face another 4yrs crossing a picture bridge.

4 Likes

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by lomprico(m): 7:14pm On Mar 19, 2015
Segeggs:

And did u get any?

1 Like

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by stronger: 7:19pm On Mar 19, 2015
Good write-up.

I think the Ibos need to;

(1) Purge themselves of the Hausa/Fulani hatred. So important as this election has shown that you need an alliance with the north to really advance your regional cause to the National level. It's the truth. Of course because of historical strife with the north, this is going to be the most difficult step. But if it is over come, huge!

(2) Conversation among themselves. They need a united conversation and cause. What do we want? Serious question

(3) And then as the writer said, after a proper re-integration, don't sell yourselves cheap! Make other regions toast you! Then extract concessions!

Tough tasks, but it has to be done or else. . .

2 Likes

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by stronger: 7:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
PedroJP:

Buhari has scores to settle with Ibos? What? Go take some history lessons o on Buhari's role in the Biafra war. He wasn't one of the evil guys. fact!

Secondly, it's not about wooing you with money. Don't sell yourselves cheap and queue up behind one party (putting all eggs in one basket).
Extract concessions. Withhold endorsements a little bit. Make them toast you.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Gogetta(m): 7:32pm On Mar 19, 2015
IanDiamonds:

You can't have put it any better. A n Igbo friend of mine who was blindly supporting the PDP and GEJ's re-election bid just came to his sense.. right now I tell you he has thrown his weight behind Buhari as well as the votes of his family members and relatives. He made them understand Voting based on ethnic bigotry would lead the trouble no where. I was really surprised when he was showing me stats that he was invalidating before he started supporting Buhari.

Their leaders are the one deceiving the masses.. I'm very sure come march 28 even GEJ would be surprised when he sees the supposed region he thinks is on lock-down delivers 40% of the votes in that region to Buhari. I see this happening.
Spot on! I have been saying this. The real shocker for GEJ will come from the SS & SE. Watch this space!

1 Like

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 19, 2015

Doubtful. I expect few shocks.

1 Like

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by mekaboy(m): 7:38pm On Mar 19, 2015
Dont worry abt the igbos, the south south will suffer more if buhari wins.
Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by masseratti: 7:49pm On Mar 19, 2015
Apart from Obj administration this Gej has favoured the southeast even more than the South South.
Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by mycar: 8:14pm On Mar 19, 2015
What is this one saying? That igbos should leave join the supporter of APC party, I don't know igbos as trouble makers. If Buhari wins, so be it, if Gej wins, good but for anybody to come online to say this type of trash is not only myopic but irrational, what will Buhari do for igbos, afterall, fashola sent okada people packing after using them for election, and what made you think that it couldn't come from any other person.

Of the two evils, one would ever go for the lesser one.
Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Nobody: 8:22pm On Mar 19, 2015
dmyke:

My dear, wake up. Even if APC do the highest rigging, Buhari won't get up to 15% of the votes in the SE. Meanwhile, why should we support Buhari? Because he will fight corruption? Yet, he is surrounded and funded by corrupt people. Please, tell us another story.

Unlike some others, the Igbos do not have short memories. Let Buhari explain his role in the 1966 coup and its aftermath (where Igbos in the military were slaughtered, and then Igbos all over the North were slaughtered methodologically). Let him tell us why he put our brother Ekwueme in prison, yet, he did not imprison Shagari. We have not forgotten what happened after the 2011 elections. Igbos have suffered enough at the hands of radical Northerners. If he wins, fine. But not in our home.

Even APC candidates for the National Assembly elections in Anambra State do not mention the name of Buhari during their rallies. His name is poison to us.
Well spoken my Friend...A few dollars here and there Can't get us to forget the Atrocities Buhari did...Oh when the bodies of our Brothers were displayed in Up Iweka...Every clear thinking Igbo man in the south south or north...Always has it in mind,He is on another man's soil

1 Like

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by GenIgrigi: 8:24pm On Mar 19, 2015
Segeggs:
[s]All ibos should ignored this thread and continue shouting GET till...

....the yorubas finish enjoying all the dollars cool grin [/s]

**grins** Segun Adewole the Barman, let use your case to judge. If you got some of GEJ's dollars you would have stopped selling orijin herbal bitters by now. True or false**LOLS**

2 Shares

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by ibrahym47(m): 9:07pm On Mar 19, 2015
PedroJP:
My problem with you guys is this 'chest beating'. My ibo neighbours who travelled to east came back lamenting on awful situation of tins in your acclaimed paradise on earth. #spits#
Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Montaque(m): 9:12pm On Mar 19, 2015
Igbo Amaka.
Like they say it. Honestly,the ibos exhibit the highest level of independence and personal sufficiency more than any other tribe in this "geographical expression".
Whoever wins affects little or nothing to how they survive,some state Government end up doing nothing except mega projects,because it has been done by private individual.
That's why they are not political "boothlickers"
They practice real capitalism unlike the north that depends solely on Government for everything.

1 Like

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Nobody: 12:44am On Mar 20, 2015
GenIgrigi:

**grins** Segun Adewole the Barman, let use your case to judge. If you got some of GEJ's dollars you would have stopped selling orijin herbal bitters by now. True or false**LOLS**
mr man, grow up! Because I posted a picture of orijin cans with the inscription 'insurgents' in the middle just to celebrate with the nairaland insurgents for whooping your flat head the other day, your lame self now thinks I sell orijin.

Btw, I thought you boasted that you were going to post an evidence of me being a barman and an orijin seller here on nairaland.

What's taking you so long?

You should have used this post to justify that, instead of this spurious claims.

Osu ibo.

1 Like

Re: ELECTION 2015:-the Igbos Are Left Out by Controlled(f): 2:29am On Mar 20, 2015
Segeggs:

I don die...bad guy..... grin grin..seriously i am surprised at d way dis great people have fallen so fast to irrelevance.....still scratching me head

(1) (2) (Reply)

Agbekoya Cocoa Farmers Uprising: Slavery In The 20th Century / Be Ready For War, CDS Warns Oil Thieves / Pictures: The World Economy Explained With Just Two Cows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.